InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ Dress-up ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha-Fanfiction on May 21, 2012 for Drabble #27 Unseen. Won 3rd place.

Title: Dress-up
Author: ananova
Word Count: 465
Prompt: Unseen
Genre: Family
Rating: K
Warnings: None
Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: Someone tries to sneak away with their prize but doesn't manage to remain unseen.

----------------------


A small figure stealthily snuck up to where the laundry was hanging on the line. His head turned first one way then the other as he checked for someone watching. Two white ears twitched upon his head as silver hair fluttered in the breeze. Once certain that he remained unseen, the figure snatched his prize and disappeared behind the nearby hut.

Kagome couldn't help but chuckle as she observed her son's actions from where she had been kneeling beside the stream with the rest of her wash. He hadn't managed to be as unseen as he had thought. She gathered the wet clothes and returned to the clothing line, shaking her head in bemusement.

A moment later she was joined by her husband as Inuyasha leaped out of the tree he had been perched in. “What do you think he's up to?” he asked, amusement shining in his golden eyes.

Kagome glanced at him, a bright smile on her face. “Oh, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. I just hope I don't have to rewash your haori.”

“Feh, I told you before not to bother with it. It's made of fire-rat fur, a little dirt won't hurt it.”

Kagome rolled her eyes, deciding not to start up that old argument again. Then Inuyasha nudged her and she looked up to see her son returning. She had to bite her lip to keep from laughing, he was just too cute.

Jomei marched right up to them, the haori swimming around him and dragging in the dirt behind him. He had a long stick tucked at his side. He stopped before them and scowled. “I'm Inuyasha, the mighty hanyou and defeater of youkai! Where are the youkai that need to be slayed by my mighty Tessaiga?” He drew his 'sword' and swung it.

Both parents stifled there laughter. Composing herself, Kagome managed to respond. “I'm sorry, we have no youkai here that need to be slayed. There is, however, a bowl of stew and a plate of pickles that need to be eaten by a young boy, if you've seen him around. And possibly dessert if he finishes the rest.”

Jomei's eyes widened at the mention of pickles and dessert. “I'm right here Mama,” he spoke up excitedly, dropping his 'sword'.

“Oh really,” Kagome raised an eyebrow. “I thought you were the mighty Inuyasha.”

He shed the haori. “No it's me, see.”

Inuyasha chuckled and ruffled his son's hair. “So we see. Come on, let's go eat.” He snatched his son up and carried him to the hut.

Kagome smiled after them before glancing at the haori. She threw it over the clothesline as well, deciding it could wait until after lunch, and followed her family.