InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ Market Day ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to The Inuyasha Fanfic Contest on May 22, 2012 for Prompt #286 Market and won 1st place.

Title: Market Day
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Prompt: Market (The Inuyasha Fanfic Contest)
Genre: Family
Word Count: 250
Summary: Market day has come again and someone isn't happy to be left behind.

--------------------


Inuyasha kissed Kagome goodbye before hefting his bundle of things to trade onto his shoulder and stepping out of the hut.

“Papa! Papa!”

He paused, dropping his bundle to catch his son before he could run into him. “Whoa, what's wrong?”

Jomei looked up hopefully at his father. “Can I go to the market with you?”

Inuyasha shook his head. “We've been through this Jomei. Not until your older.”

Jomei pouted. “But Daichi and Hiroshi go with their fathers and they're the same age as me.”

Inuyasha hesitated. He didn't want him to face the same prejudices that he himself faced at the market. The people of this village accepted him and his family but he heard the whispers when he went to the market. He didn't want to have to explain to his son what the words he heard meant. “I'm sorry Jomei. I promise when you're bigger you can come with me.” He bent down to whisper in his son's ear. “Besides, who will look after your Mama and sister if you come with me?”

Jomei's eyes widened and his chest proudly puffed out. “I'll look after them, promise!” He deflated slightly. “You promise I can come with you when I'm bigger?”

Inuyasha ruffled Jomei's hair before retrieving his bundle. “I promise, and I always keep my word.”

Jomei smiled and waved after his father, looking forward to the next market day. After all, he'd be bigger then!