InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ Husband ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Issekiwa on June 26, 2012 for Prompt #153 Aisle or Isle and won 1st place.

Title: Husband
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Prompt: Aisle or Isle (Issekiwa)
Genre: Introspection/Romance
Word Count: 250
Warnings: None
Summary: Kagome muses on her new life. Post-Canon.

------------------------

Kagome smiled at her husband as he chopped wood. She shook her head, still not used to calling Inuyasha husband.

She sighed a bit wistfully, causing Inuyasha to look up. She waved him off, then got lost in her thoughts once more. 'Husband. When I was little I always dreamed of walking down the aisle on my wedding day. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem real?'

Marrying in the Sengoku Jidai was nothing like marrying in modern times. Here, weddings were only for nobility. A woman was considered married when a man built a hut for her and she moved in to live with him. So, she had been considered married from the moment she returned, having immediately accepted the home Inuyasha had built for her while she was gone.

Kagome smiled as she glanced back at her husband once more. It might not have been the wedding she dreamed of as a child, but she wouldn't change it for anything. She was where she was meant to be, at Inuyasha's side, as his wife.

Inuyasha joined her a moment later, pulling her into a hug, and planting a kiss on her forehead. “Wife,” he said softly.

“Husband,” she returned.

He grinned. “I'll never get used to hearing you say that.”

“Husband,” she said again with a grin of her own before laughing as he swept her into his arms and carried her into the hut. Yes, she was exactly where she was supposed to be.