InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ Gifts of Love ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to At First Tweak on July 28, 2012 for Prompt #74 Basket. It won 1st place.


Title: Gifts of Love
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Genre: Family
Universe: Post-Canon
Word Count: 233
Summary: The baby has been born. Now it is time to bestow him with their lovingly-made gifts.

-------------------

It was a simple wooden basket. Hand-crafted. No fancy carvings or accessories. Just smooth wood carved by hand out of love.

And yet it held the greatest treasure in the world.

Kagome smiled down at her son as he squirmed in his basket, his little ears twitching atop his head, feet kicking in the air. “There you go Jomei-chan, safe in your own little bed.” Her smile widened as strong arms wrapped around her to pull her back against a hard chest, and a chin came to rest upon her head. “I think he likes it. He must know his Papa made it for him.”
“Keh.” Inuyasha gave her a gentle squeeze, pride suffusing him as he stared down at his son. “I think it's missing something.”

Kagome leaned back in his embrace so she could turn her head to look at him, a slight frown on her face. “Oh? And what would that be?”

He reached behind him to pick up the quilt that Kagome had lovingly worked on throughout her pregnancy. “His Mama's gift.”

Her face lit up with a beautiful smile as she accepted the small quilt from him before gently tucking it around the newborn in his basket, the red and green patch lying right on top of him. Together, they watched as the infant fell asleep, warm and snug with the proof of his parents' love surrounding him.