InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Some people need a push ❯ Morning After ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: Morning After
Secluded glade, Japan
Feudal Era, Tuesday, Early morning of Day 12
 
Kagome awoke slowly, wondering where she was, and why she wasn't in her sleeping bag, and why there was no fire, and... she couldn't think of anything else that was wrong in her drowsy mood, and just accepted it. Inuyasha, she knew, wouldn't let anything happen to her, so everything must be fine. She snuggled closer to the warm being holding her, and remembered.
 
I had a date with Inuyasha last night, and he said he loved me.
 
Inuyasha, in his turn, began to wake. He remembered perfectly well what had happened, and was less lost by that fact than by the fact that he was holding Kagome in his arms, and she loved him. She loves me! His heart leapt in his chest, and promptly launched into a jig. He felt a large grin creep its way onto his face, and he buried his head in Kagome's hair, breathing deeply.
 
He felt the love of his life begin to stir, and sighed. He knew that they couldn't stay that way all day, but it would have been nice.
 
Kagome slipped her hands around his waist, and said, “Do we have to go?”
 
“The others might want us to show up before tomorrow, but... we don't have to leave yet.”
 
Kagome smiled, and kissed his neck. “Good.” She closed her eyes, and held him tighter.
 
Stopped for camp, Japan
Feudal Era, Tuesday, Early morning of Day 12
 
Jan was the first up in the morning - an anomaly in itself - and went to go wake Sesshomaru. He had insisted on staying the night by himself, and had picked a chamber off of where the weird horse thing he had come in with was.
 
The cave/room he had picked was small, compared to the others, and cold. Sesshomaru had picked the room because there was only one way in, she thought, and because it was just large enough to have a brazier, a bed, and a place to keep his clothes while he slept.
 
Jan didn't bother knocking. Either he was awake and knew she was coming, or he was asleep. Squeezing through the `door', she conjured a floating light, then quickly doused it.
 
Sesshomaru stirred, and Jan turned around and stuck her foot out to nudge him. She felt him wake up, felt him become wary, and knew that he had taken his shields down on his emotions.
 
“Wake up, Sesshy. And please, next time, at least wear underwear to bed!”
 
He laughed at her, and she heard cloth rustling. “You can turn around now, Kechara.”
 
Jan whirled around, and re-conjured the light. Then she noticed that he had taken her advice, and was sitting on his makeshift bed in his underwear.
 
“Oh, stop smirking!” she snapped at him, which just made his grin grow larger.
 
“Do you find this uncomfortable, Kechara?” He stood up, and she noticed - just noticed! - that his muscles rippled when he moved. She mentally noted that you couldn't see it when he was clothed.
 
“I don't find pompous jackasses with no clothes on uncomfortable, just annoying.”
 
“Well, fascinating as that is, I don't suppose that's why you're here?”
 
“No, it's not. You need to tell me just where you think you can get off by calling me `Kechara'? I am by no means your beloved, and I would appreciate it if you would find a more suitable name to call me, if you feel that you must call me a name! That is something that you call no one unless you mean it, because simply calling them that can turn them into it. That is the way of Words of Origin!”
 
“I simply call you the most annoying thing that I can think of, just as you do.” He was outwardly calm, but she could feel his amusement, anxiety, and...his... `not even gonna go there. Gods! Men! This is so annoying.'
 
“I didn't call you Fluffy in front of the others, and you agreed to Sesshy! I warned Maria off of you once she warmed up to you, earlier, so you didn't have to put up with things like that from her. Kechara is not a good thing to call a mage without her consent!”
 
“I shall call you whatever I wish. You will not be able to stop me, and I think you need to be brought down a notch as much as you think I need to be. You will deal with it, or you will not. That is not this Sesshomaru's problem.” He had adopted a formal tone, one that said I'm being tolerant, you nit, so don't push me.
 
“This Sesshomaru? Do you speak in the third person often?” Jan was amused with this, and she let her shields open enough for him to feel it.
 
Sesshomaru jumped, and slammed his shields up so fast it made her dizzy.
 
“I have a reason to act superior. You were just born thinking you had the right. Now, the name thing was a small thing... you still need to check my shields, like I promised Sango I'd have you do.”
 
He nodded once, then grabbed his pants and put them on.
 
“I've never checked an empathic shield before this, so I'll have to touch you.”
 
Jan looked at him, then held out her hand. “I'll show you by checking yours first.”
 
“Fine.” He took her hand.
 
“I'm not gonna go easy on you, by the way. You need to learn how to completely check someone's shield, and how to show them where to fix it. That Rin is starting to develop empathy, so you have to learn for her sake.” After saying this, she connected to him, and started feeling her way around his shields. He shuddered, and tried to pull away.
 
“It's unpleasant, but you're gonna have to deal.” She found the first crack in his shield, and pulled at the consciousness on the other side of the barrier. He twitched, and she strengthened her grip on his hand.
 
The next crack was larger, and she pulled at the edges of it. She showed him how to knit cracks this big up, then moved on.
 
She found a great deal of gaps in the shield, and not a few of them were large. She had neared the end, and was surprised that this side had less cracks in it than the other side, and realized that this was the mental side of his shield. At the spot where the two shields had joined together, she spread her mind awareness along it to make sure it was fused correctly. After she was satisfied that it was, she began to check for breaks. There was nothing to find, though, and she relaxed as she checked the last bit.
 
Abruptly, she was pulled into a hole to his inner consciousness, and was tossed around the painful memories of his past.
 
A small demon boy ran towards a meadow. He was going to meet with his mother, and he had picked her a pretty white flower. He ran into the meadow, and found his mother there.
“Mother! I've brought you a present!” The little boy presented his gift to his mother, and she smiled.
“Thank you, Sesshomaru. It is a beautiful present...”
 
“Where are you going, Father?” An older Sesshomaru stepped up to a man.
“I go to meet my new mate, Sesshomaru. She has born me a child, and I want to meet my new son.” The man reached down and patted Sesshomaru's head.
“I'll be back in a few days or so. Jaken will take care of you until then.”
The boy watched as his father left, and Jaken called to him.
 
“Why hasn't Father returned yet?” asked Sesshomaru.
“Your father is too busy with his human to think of coming back, Sesshomaru.” Jaken answered.
Sesshomaru growled.
“Young Lord, your father will return in due time. Be patient.”
“Why does he just not bring his new mate home?”
“The other demons do not know that his new mate is a human. He would be disgraced. It is disgusting! Humans were not meant to be demon's mates; it tarnishes our name and bloodlines.”
“Father said that humans were just as respectable as demons!”
“Humans are dishonorable and weak, and half-humans - hanyous, they are called - are disgraceful and weak. Your father is blinded by his `love' of the human.”
 
Jan released Sesshomaru's hand and pulled against the current that was threatening to devour her. Their link broke as she tripped and fell.
 
~*~*~*~
 
She came to slowly. Sesshomaru was holding her. She knew that much. What happened? How did I manage to get into his memories? All I was doing was checking the shield... there was a tunnel in the shield! A tunnel into his most painful memories, and I fell through it!
 
She groaned, and put a hand to her head.
 
“Are you all right?”
 
“Peachy. You have a very large hole in your shield, you know. I think it's the kind called a tunnel. It leads to some very... uncomfortable memories. If Naraku found that hole, he would control you.”
 
“I'm more concerned with what happened with you. You were out of it, then you just fainted. I thought I might have hurt you, or trapped part of your mind in mine...”
 
“Nah, I'm fine. Just, a little woozy. So much for traveling today!”
 
He gave her a blank look. “Why do you say that?”
 
“Because if I move very much today, I'm gonna puke. It's a side effect of that that my teacher attached to my mind. He said that if something like this ever happens, I'll puke if I try to move. I'm confined to bed until tomorrow.”
 
“Why would your teacher do that to you?”
 
“To teach me caution. I wouldn't have depended on needing to get up and move where I'm from, and... Wait, how much of my mind did you get into?”
 
“I...”
 
“Spit it out, Fluffy.”
 
“I know where you're from. And when.”
 
“Anything else?”
 
“No. You only had one small crack, and that one was new. It was in your telepathic side. Did you know that you are telepathic?”
 
“No idea whatsoever. I did know that I had to build a shield for it, but, next to that, I didn't know. My teacher wouldn't have told me, anyway, because he doesn't think people should use telepathy. The crack was probably from the time-space shift that brought us here.”
 
He snorted. “Figures. He was either weak in it, or didn't have it, right?” Jan nodded, and he continued. “He was probably jealous of people who had great skill in it. Can you walk?”
 
She nodded again, then pushed herself to her feet. She hobbled to the door, and stumbled. Sesshomaru was at her side in an instant, supporting her.
 
“Shirt.” It took him a moment to figure out what that meant, then he grabbed his undershirt.
 
“What are you gonna tell the others?”
 
“I have the flu. Or a fever. Or that I was having my shields checked, and hit a hole that incapacitated me because I had relaxed.”
 
“I'm sorry about that...”
 
“It's fine. Just... when I get better, keep that little toad away from me, or I might show him how `weak' I am,” she said in a harsh voice.
 
“So that was one of the memories that you got into?”
 
“Yeah. One about your mom, one about your dad leaving, and one where Jaken tells you about the `dishonorableness' of humans.”
 
“I'm sorry you had to hear that. I don't think that. I apologize if it offended you.”
 
“I may have heard it in your mind, but you weren't the one who said it. I'm gonna pry the apology out of that little toad. I don't want yours.”
 
“I'm still sorry, Kechara.”
 
She patted his arm, and said, “You don't need to be.”
 
They emerged into the cave where everyone was packing, and they stopped to look at her and Sesshomaru. She realized what they must have looked like, but didn't care.
 
“Unpack it, guys. I can't travel today.” Sesshomaru supported her until they got to one of the benches she had conjured against the wall, and she leaned back on it.
 
“Why? Are you ill?”
 
“She isn't ill. She probably twisted her ankle or something.”
 
“She looks like she's ill!”
 
“I had a hole in my telepathic shields, and she fell into it. She won't be able to travel for a while.”
 
“She's telepathic?” Miroku asked.
 
“Empathic.” Jan's head was starting to feel fuzzy.
 
“Empaths can't check a telepathic shield, though.”
 
“Empathic and telepathic shields are the same, Miroku. They both protect against intrusion into your mind. Either one can make a shield for the other type, even, and are usually encouraged to.” Sango had begun unpacking her things, and spoke as she did so.
 
“Don't feel bad, Miroku. Sesshomaru thought the exact same thing. It's just a simple case of all men being nits.”
 
“Thanks a lot, Kechara,” replied the demon sarcastically.
 
“Well, you did make the same mistake, you know. Truth is truth!”
 
“Why are you calling her `beloved'?” Sango asked.
 
Maria choked over in the corner where she was eating her breakfast. “I'd like to know that as well, Jan!”
 
Miroku got an incredulous look on his face, and looked at the two in a new light.
 
Amelia snorted, and said, “He's in trouble!”
 
Sesshomaru got a little nervous looking, and started to scoot towards the exit.
 
“It's because I threatened to call him Fluffy in front of his brother if he didn't tone down on the Better-Than-Thou attitude.” Jan grinned, enjoying the obvious discomfort he was in.
 
“Oh. So, can I have him if you're not interested?” Maria called from her corner.
 
“One more innuendo like that in front of the little ones, and your head is gonna be our new hacky sack, Maria.”
 
“Oh, good Lord!”
 
“Who you calling little?” yelled Shippo from where he was showing his toys to Rin.
 
“The only two people in this cave who are interested in a yoyo.” Shippo looked properly chastised at this comment, and turned his head back to the pile of toys he was looking at.
 
Sesshomaru relaxed, and smirked. “I decided that she could have an annoying name as long as I have to put up with one. It seemed fitting to go with the name she picked for me.” They all accepted this, and went back to unpacking.
 
“How're Silver and Kagome doing?”
 
No one knew the answer to that question, so Jan asked if someone could find the scrying bowl. Sango brought it up to her, still full of water, and Jan placed it on the bench. She said the small incantation to it, and showed the two cuddled up together, trying to go back to sleep. She said another incantation, and a note floated down to the couple and landed on Kagome's face.
 
“What does it say?”
 
“It says for them to take their time, because we'll be cooling our heels here `till tomorrow. Sango, did Kagome bring her swimsuit this time?”
 
“Yeah! She always brings it.”
 
“Great. I'll send that if it gets warmer. Now, what's for breakfast?”
 
“Leftovers.”
 
“Great. I was actually hoping for oatmeal, so I could turn it into eggs. Oh, well. Burritos, anyone?”
 
Everyone crowded around to get burritos from her, and, as an afterthought, sent some to Inuyasha and Kagome. The couple didn't notice, so she sent a noise to draw their attention to the table.
 
Secluded glade, Japan
Feudal Era, Tuesday, Day 12
 
“Kagome...”
 
“Yes?”
 
“We don't have anything to eat for breakfast.” Inuyasha's stomach seconded this observation, and Kagome giggled.
 
“I'm sorry. Maybe you'll just have to make do.”
 
“I'm really hungry.”
 
“I could think of something to distract you...” Kagome blushed, hearing what she had just said.
 
“Oh?” Inuyasha smirked, then leaned his head down and nipped her ear. She giggled again, and pulled his arms tighter.
 
A small piece of paper floated down out of the sky, and landed on Kagome's face. She reached up to look at it, and read, “Good morning, our star-crossed friends! Feel free to take your time today, because we're gonna be cooling our heels here for a while. And it has nothing to do with you, so don't feel guilty.”
 
Inuyasha snorted, then looked up. “Do you think they can see us?”
 
“I don't know.”
 
“I appreciate their help, but I really don't want them watching us.”
 
“Well, don't worry about it. If they are watching us, they didn't see anything anyway, so it's all right.”
 
Just then, a small noise came from the direction of the table. It sounded somewhat like a person coughing one of those `Ahem' coughs. The two looked over to see what had made the noise, and saw the burritos.
 
“Then again, it might be a good thing that they're watching us.” Inuyasha picked Kagome up and carried her to the table. He sat down with her on his lap, and grabbed a burrito. She looked at him, then the food, and thought for a minute.
 
“What?”
 
She smiled. “Nothing. Just keep eating.”
 
He gladly indulged her wishes, and took another bite out of his breakfast. On his lap, Kagome sat up, and reached out to pour a glass of water. She took a small sip, then turned to him.
 
Inuyasha looked at her quizzically, but kept eating. She leaned onto his chest, and he smiled.
 
“You're not hungry?”
 
“Not very. I'm fine right now. You can eat mine, if you want it.”
 
Inuyasha glanced at her. She was acting a little weird, but he wasn't about to ask her why. He was enjoying this too much to chance ruining it with a stray comment. Mentally shrugging, he finished his burrito and reached out for hers. Suddenly, her face loomed up in front of his.
 
“You change your mind?” Kagome shook her head, and shifted a little. Her arms reached up to encircle his neck, and she moved her face closer to his.
 
“I'm just not hungry this morning.”
 
“I... I don't think I'm hungry anymore, either.” Inuyasha wondered what Kagome was doing. His questions were answered as she pressed her lips against his. He was shocked, but recovered quickly. Placing his hands on her hips, he pulled her closer to him. He kissed her back fervently, hoping that this time, it wouldn't stop as early it had last time.
 
Kagome leaned into him, pressing her body against his lightly. Her arms quivered from the amount of control she was using; she wanted to do so much more than this. But she did not, however, want Inuyasha to think of her as too brazen. She determined to let this satisfy her - at least, until Inuyasha made the next move.
 
They continued the kiss for a long time, breaking occasionally for air. Inuyasha, assured by the length of this simple, chaste kiss, wrapped his arms around her fully and slowly lowered her to the ground. She uttered a small gasp of surprise, then ran one hand to his cheek when he began to pull back.
 
She arched her back slightly, and nibbled at his lip. He ceased pulling back, but did not resume what he was doing. He posed there, frozen, until Kagome's arm slipped back around his neck.
 
She nipped at his lips again. All thought left his already clouded mind, and he pressed his lips against hers again. Soon, his lips left hers, and started inching their way down her neck. One of her hands slipped from its hold on his neck, and reached out to grab the material of his sleeve loosely.
 
Inuyasha nipped and kissed Kagome's neck slowly, savoring her taste. When he reached the base, he nipped slightly harder than before, and she arched against him unconsciously, emitting a low pitched moan.
 
Inuyasha fought hard for control, wishing that he dared go further than this. He didn't want to pressure Kagome until she was sure she wanted to be his mate, but, if things kept on this track, it wouldn't matter.
 
She snatched at one of his ears and began to rub the base. Inuyasha groaned, feeling the hard-won control he barely had slipping away. He was about to throw caution to the wind, when a voice spoke up.
 
“Well, I don't know whether I should be mad, jealous, protective, or flattered, Inuyasha.”
 
The two broke away from each other quickly, startled. There, looking down at them from a small hillock, was the worst person who could have appeared.
 
“Kikyo...”