InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Someone Else's Body ❯ Towards the Sunset ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Before I start the story, I just have to say that Kaede speaks in a normal voice because I was simply too lazy to copy her way of speaking. Plus, I don't know how to...

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha but hopefully I own the plot.


Chapter 1: Towards the Sunset

Miroku tottered precariously on a thin branch. "There once was a farmer who lived by a crick, and every night he'd play with his *hic* banjo in the moonlight and watch the girl next door, and you could tell just by looking at her that she was a *hic* decent young lady who rolled in the grass, and when she turned over you could see her white..."

CRACK

He caught a glimpse of the grass rushing towards his face before everything went dark. Inuyasha keeled over laughing as Kagome, Sango, and Shippo looked down the Miroku-shaped hole in the ground.

"You shouldn't have brought Miroku up into that tree!" Kagome shouted at the shaking mass of red and white which was Inuyasha.

He jumped up and glared at Kagome with his fierce amber-gold eyes, "Well if someone hadn't given him that Sake, maybe he wouldn't be drunk in the first place!"

Shippo rolled his eyes at Sango, "Are adult relationships always like this, Sango-san?"

"No, not at all!"

Miroku's head popped out and shouted gaily "...ass!" There was a brief second before Hiraikotsu came whizzing down upon his unprotected head and Miroku fell back into the hole.

Shippo stared at the two couples and shook his head. He walked off a little ways into the dark forest the group had been wandering through for the past six days. Shippo found a small clearing and sat to stare at the stars, forgetting that he was scared to be alone at night. The twinkling stars took the shape of his father ::sigh:: He had a sudden flashback of the day he first met Inuyasha and Kagome. They were always arguing back then too, but somehow it feels friendler now...

He jumped in surprise as one of Kagome's 'pan' things barely grazed his head. A streak of silver-white and a near invisible red crawled up a nearby tree. "Inuyasha?" Shippo called out, his eyes widening.

"WHAT?"

"THERE'S A HUGE EAGLE BAT-DEMON THING COMING UP BEHIND YOU!!!"

Two talons dug into Inuyasha's shoulders before he could react. He arched in pain as he was carried off into the rising sun, only a glimmer against the fast disappearing light.

Kagome came into the clearing, a pot in hand and scanned the area. Sango, with Hiraikotsu, and Miroku, with his staff (and Kazaana), trailed behind her. Miroku asked in all seriousness (which would be hard to do considering he's drunk... ) "What was that screech?"

Kagome, sounding a bit concerned, turned to Shippo and said, "Where's Inuyasha? That scream sounded... an awful lot like him."

Shippo could only point in the direction of the rising sun and flap his arms.

----------------------------------------

Sango poured some tea for everyone as Kaede gently interviewed Shippo. "What happened to Inuyasha? Where is he? Do you know? ...Take your time, now." He took some crayons and a sheet of paper from Kagome and drew Inuyasha at the bottom of the page. Above him, Shippo drew a bat with an eagle's head and feet. Then he drew an arrow pointing to the sun.

"Inuyasha, Birdie, go" he managed to stutter.

"h... he... he'll come back, right Kaede?" Kagome whispered before her knees gave away.

"Kagome, you shouldn't worry yourself so. Inuyasha's strong. I doubt a mere eagle bat-demon will defeat him." Kaede assured Kagome. As if on cue, Inuyasha staggered into the hut with a few scratches and eight dents in his red Haori. Kagome leaped into his arms and nestled there for a while before realization hit her and she stepped back blushing, taking a sudden interest in the floor. Through the whole ordeal, Inuyasha hadn't had any reaction at all. He just stood there staring numbly at Kagome.

Miroku finally broke the silence. "Are you okay, Inuyasha?"

"Feh!" he muttered tonelessly and walked out of Kaede's hut.

Sango shifted uncomfortably in the heated silence. "Well, Inuyasha seemed rather... heartless. Then again, when isn't he?" Miroku stated drowsily, trying to ease the tension a little even with his hangover. It wasn't unlike Inuyasha to answer with a mere 'Feh' but he had never sounded like THAT before, Kagome thought, He never comes and leaves so suddenly or not blush when I hug him in front of others. She shrugged off the feeling. "Who wants some cup noodles?" She deliberately asked, expecting aforementioned boy to come running back in with hunger written all over his face. He didn't...

----------------------------------------

"Inuya sha! Are we going to look for more jewel shards are not?!" Kagome desperately questioned Inuyasha. Why isn't he tempted to go get more shards or eat ramen or even hit Shippo? Last time I checked, everyone was attempting to STOP him from doing most of these things. Inuyasha simply sat on his usual branch, absently swinging his right leg. What could possibly have him thinking so much that he will barely glance at me?

Sango walked over dressed in her traveling clothes, ready to leave by the time the morning mist had disappeared, their usual departing time. "Kagome-chan, is he still up there? Inuyasha is normally the first to be prepared for our journeys."

"That's because he doesn't have or need anything to pack!" Kagome answered with a heaving sigh.

Inuyasha suddenly went stiff and his eyes blank, for only a second. He softened immediately afterwards and swung down off the branch, obviously prepared to leave. "Let's go then." he muttered in a gruff voice. Shippo had just come out of the hut when Inuyasha barked, "Oi! Go get Miroku, you little, rotten pea-brain! We're leaving!" Shippo immediately obeyed, dodging the rocks that came his way. At least he's insulting and hitting me again, but why does he have to be so mean?

"Miroku! Everyone else is ready to leave!" Miroku lazily dragged his staff along behind him and blinked a few times, once outside, his staff making a trail in the sand. He obviously still had that hangover. A dog walked in front of him and he grinned sheepishly at it. In one, quick, flowing movement, he groped the dog then took a paw. "WILL YOU BEAR MY CHILD?" Perhaps he didn't have a hangover, the group thought, maybe he's still drunk... Sango stepped up to Miroku with an angered expression. A stinging slap found its way to his cheek.

Miroku fell sideways, a distinct, red, hand-shaped mark on his face. He must have still thought it was some 'girl' because he sat up rubbing his face and asked, "What? I only asked you to conceive my kid..." and slumped over.

----------------------------------------

The sky was overcast with a dark, ominous cloud threatening to ensure living hell if the group didn't find shelter soon. They was walking in a field of billowing wheat, laden with grain and near ready to harvest. The group hadn't seen trees for quite some time and had been wandering on hills since they got out of the forest. They could have gone much quicker if Inuyasha had not been too lazy to carry Kagome's bike and if Sango had had the heart to have Kirara change and carry them all when Kirara was already so tired from walking all day.

"Look! I think I see a house!" Shippo cried, over-ridden with joy because they could finally take a rest. The rest of the group scanned the horizon for the house Shippo claimed was just barely peeking above the hill to the left.

Kagome spotted the house next, noticing a gentle curl of smoke rising from the house. "Maybe they know where a nearby hot spring is..." she wondered out loud.

"I doubt it, Kagome. Hot springs are not located in the middle of wheat fields." Sango replied with a yearning look upon her face.

Miroku sat down in the middle of the trampled stalks the rest had walked through. "Ugh! I'm so tired... Can we take a break? I'm starving and the sun is so high up in the sky... no trees for cover... and my clothes are really starting to feel heavy... I'M SWEATI-" Miroku stopped in the middle of his sentence as he looked up into the eight eyes of his friends glaring back at him. Even Kirara was staring at the purple clad being with annoyance. "he he he... grains anyone?" Miroku asked holding up a handful of yellow stalks, hoping that the short-tempered group wouldn't charge at him.

::sniff:: ::shuffle:: ::sniff:: "I can sense youkai nearby," Inuyasha suddenly stated, as he sniffed around like a dog. He crouched down in the tall stalks so that the only way you could tell where he was, was the slightly flattened wheat stalks. "Oi, Kagome, do something useful and tell me if you see any Shikon shards nearby!"

Her nose tilted upwards and she lets out a small ::hmf:: "Ask me more nicely and maybe I'll consider ? AH!" a spurt of red splattered all over Kagome's clean school uniform. "What is this..." it tasted like iron... blood. She slowly lifted her gaze to the sky where she could see hoards of flying demons and many more on ground closing in around the group. Inuyasha had effectively ripped up a bloody mass of who-knows-what-it-is as the Youkai came flooding in from all sides.

The group instinctively stood in a circle, back-to-back. Sango readied Hiraikotsu, Kirara had transformed, Miroku prepared to open up his Kazaana, and Shippo got out his 'toys'. Inuyasha was already slashing at anything and everything with Tetsusaiga and Kagome was aiming at the demons with her arrow. A large, rather obese youkai, with little pudgy arms, flew towards Kagome. "INUYASHA!"

Inuyasha, turned his heads towards Kagome's voice and reached out for her with his free left arm, unable to think of any other reaction. In that brief moment of distraction, a demon knocked him out. He felt a drop of rain. His vision faded... "kagome..."

----------------------------------------

"Inu yasha?" He opened his eyes with pain and raised a hand to a bump on his head, where the youkai had hit him just hours before. He gingerly fingered the small, healing cut running along the middle of the bump and closed his eyes again.

Inuyasha suddenly sat bolt upright... "OH FUCK!" slamming his face into the head above him. Miroku straightened up, holding his nose, and grimaced.

"Nice greeting Inuyasha. I feel so loved." Miroku stated sarcastically.

"Kagome! Where's Kagome? The demon with the claws, and the pointy ears!"

"You're describing yourself you dolt!" Miroku replied easily. "Kagome's fine. While you were getting your forty winks, Shippo came along with his top and knocked the demon out. We were clearly outnumbered so we picked you up and ran to where there were the least demons, which, lucky for us, was where the house we had spotted earlier is." At Inuyasha's still anxious looks he chucked his thumb behind him, pointing towards another room.

Inuyasha walked into the room and was relieved to find Kagome immersed in a conversation with Sango and an old lady. Kagome looked up at Inuyasha politely, returned to the conversation, then snapped her head back at Inuyasha. In one fluid and graceful (at least to Inuyasha) movement, Kagome jumped up, cried out his name and hugged him. He turned a brilliant shade of red but Kagome seemed rather content.

Shippo, who had apparently been there all along, nudged Sango and smiled. Kagome pulled away after a moment and grinned sheepishly. (A/N: Ah... A Kodak moment. At least in my mind. Too bad only Kagome would understand what I mean) Miroku stepped into the room, his back upright and his face straight. He sighed. "Getting sentimental again Inuyasha? You know, I think Kagome's the best medicine we've tried on you so far." Miroku almost couldn't stifle his snigger. "You even called out her name as you were blacking out." Moments later, Miroku was looking rather trampled on in the lovely red clay outside the house.

Inuyasha looked up at the sky. Half of it was a deep blue, it being sunset and all. The other half was a beautiful red with flecks of orange and yellow blending into both the firebrick red and azure blue.