InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sorano's Secret ❯ To Protect the Innocent ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To Protect the Innocent
 
 
It had been several days since Sorano joined up with InuYasha and company; each member of the group enjoyed her presence among them. She brought comfort in her Knowing and when danger would strike, she was a huge help.
 
 
One morning the group had just set out, following a rumor of a demon with a possible jewel shard. It was soon after their departure that a familiar scent tickled InuYasha's nose.
 
 
`Sesshomaru.' The hanyou wasn't exactly up for dealing with Lord Sesshomaru and his pompous attitude. “Sheesh. Just to let you know, Sesshomaru is nearby.” InuYasha announced unenthusiastically.
 
 
`Sesshomaru?' At the mere mention of his name, Sorano's Knowing went haywire. She saw Sesshomaru standing by InuYasha's side, both as young children. InuYasha's nose was bloodied and a small group of people stood around them. “You fear this weak hanyou? I'll show you fear.” The young Sesshomaru seethed as he leapt into the air, slaying his half brother's attackers with his poisonous claws. She saw each time Sesshomaru attacked InuYasha in an attempt to claim the Tessaiga. She saw him save a small girl named Rin using his father's fang, Tensaiga. She knew his past, for through her momentary Sight, she'd lived it.
 
 
“InuYasha?” Sorano queried, “ This Sesshomaru… he his your half-brother, is he not?”
 
 
“Yeh. He thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.”
 
 
“Yet he has a good heart, does he not?” At her question, everyone burst out laughing.
 
 
“Are you kidding?! Sesshomaru has tried to kill InuYasha many times. Not to mention he thinks humans are pathetic creatures.” Kagome argued.
 
 
“Like that stupid youki could ever kill me.” InuYasha said with his usual bravado.
 
 
After the laughter had subsided, Sorano spoke, “ InuYasha, have you forgotten how Sesshomaru protected you as a child? Haven't you noticed the look in his eyes when you've fought? He wishes not to kill you, but to help make you stronger.”
 
 
InuYasha stopped dead in his tracks, `How did she know that? I've never told anyone about Sesshomaru's taking me in after my parents died? Or how he stood up for me when I was too young to defend myself?'
 
 
“Is this true InuYasha? Did Sesshomaru protect you when you were a child?” Miroku's curiosity getting the better of him.
 
 
“So what if it is? He's still a pompous ass who thinks he's better than everyone else.”
 
 
“Wait a minute, InuYasha. Sesshomaru was nice to you when you were kids?” Kagome's voice slightly trembling in disbelief.
 
 
“Well, he protected me and let me live with him until I was old enough to defend myself. But I wouldn't exactly classify that as him being nice to me. In fact he hasn't changed at all.”
 
 
“You see, that's were you're wrong InuYasha. He has changed. His opinion of humans has changed quite a bite thanks to Kagome here, and that little girl, Rin.” Sorano corrected.
 
 
“Feh. Whatever.”
 
 
By now, all eyes were on Sorano. Each member of the group was curious about this new outlook at who was once seen as a sinister character.
 
 
“Kagome's kindness and her strong desire to protect the ones she loves, even at the risk of her own life intrigues him. Rin's loyalty to him is also quite confusing for him. His opinion of humans up until meeting Kagome and Rin was so negative because he too had been betrayed by humans, who he had thought he could trust.” Sorano explained.
 
 
InuYasha still had trouble understanding Sorano's Knowing so much. He couldn't bring himself to believe that, even if she were the daughter of Izanagi, anyone of high standing would have given a gift so powerful to someone who was half and half. It just didn't make sense to him. His father and mother were both of noble blood and high standing and yet he was labeled a monster; forced to be an outcast.
 
 
“Look I don't know what you're getting at, but Sesshomaru hasn't changed. He will always be a fucking bastard. You got that? I don't care if you think you know him or anyone else for that matter, you will never understand. You are just a worthless outcast, and you will always be just that! Worthless!” InuYasha was getting defensive and, unknowingly, he barely allowed his emotions to peek through his gruff exterior.
 
 
At this, Sorano's eyes lowered in an effort to hold back the tears. She knew, in her heart of hearts, that InuYasha was wrong. But she couldn't help feeling overwhelmed. “You may very well be right, InuYasha. Maybe I am worthless. But I will never give up hope. I can help you defeat Naraku. Maybe with the help of your friends, I can even help restore your faith in mankind. To you I may be worthless, but it's never too late to change that.”
 
 
Everyone was moved by Sorano's words, including a certain half-demon. They all knew the feelings of worthlessness, helplessness, and hopelessness, yet they had never given up on their friends or themselves.
 
 
“If it's alright with you all,” She continued, “I'd like to continue traveling with you until Naraku is no more.”
 
 
“Hello little brother.” Interrupted a certain demon lord.
 
 
“Speak of the devil.” Kagome whispered.
 
 
“What do you what Sesshomaru?” InuYasha seethed, “Come to try and steal the Tessaiga from me again you arrogant bastard? Well bring it on.”
 
 
“Stupid hanyou. I merely came here looking for Naraku, when low and behold, my little brother and his little friends were already here.” Sesshomaru replied sarcastically.
 
 
The tension hovering over the group was heavy with curiosity and a hint of mal-intent. InuYasha was grinding his teeth and baring his fangs, when Sorano took it upon herself to try and calm the situation. “So this is the famed Lord Sesshomaru himself is it?”
 
Sorano knew very well to whom she was speaking to. She also understood that for Sesshomaru, some sugar in her voice might be appropriate.
 
 
Up until then Sesshomaru hadn't noticed Sorano's presence and he seemed a bit confused when she spoke. His confusion was quickly masked as he replied, “Oh, isn't this sweet. Found another ignorant human to play with little brother?”
 
 
“Why don't you just shut up and get to the point already.” InuYasha fired off with his usual bravado. “And Sorano why don't you stay the hell out of this.”
 
 
“Oh, InuYasha. You are truly narrow-minded.” Taking his gaze off InuYasha and shifting his golden orbs to Sorano he continued, “Sorano is it? Yes I am Lord Sesshomaru of the Western Lands.” Though his feelings weren't visible, Sorano had peeked Sesshomaru's curiosity. `What is it about this woman? There is something mysterious about her. She smells like the wind and her eyes look like the sea. I do not understand.'
 
 
InuYasha's eyes were shifting back and forth between Sesshomaru and Sorano. `What the hell? This is too weird for comfort.'
 
 
“Well, I am honored to have met you, Lord Sesshomaru.” Sorano's gaze never left the eyes of whom she was speaking to.
 
 
The remainder of the group stood there awestricken. The fact that Sesshomaru was carrying on a conversation with who he considered “ignorant” was outrageous!
 
 
When her Knowing had switched to Sight Sorano had seen that Rin had recently fallen ill and that Jaken was watching her vigilantly. Slightly worried about the young girl's well being she continued, “May I ask, how is little Rin? Is she feeling any better?”
 
 
“I see that you've been informed of my ward.” Sesshomaru started. His voice was steadily getting more vicious as he proceeded. “But how do you know that she has fallen ill?”
 
 
At this moment, the tension around the group increased immensely. But the conversation was put on hold by Jaken's frantic cries. “Milord! Milord! It's terrible! Rin's fever has gotten worse and she's unconscious!”
 
 
`Oh dear!' Without thought Sorano took to flight. Her Knowing had told her where Rin was and she feared for the innocent little girl.
 
 
`Who is this woman?' Sesshomaru thought as he too left, headed back to his precious Rin. “Wa-Wait for me milord!” The frog demon following suit.
 
 
“Oi! Where the hell do you think you're going? Get back here!” InuYasha shouted as he took off following Sorano and Sesshomaru.
 
 
Not wanting to be left behind or miss the excitement, the rest of the group followed InuYasha.
 
 
When Sorano landed next to Rin, Sesshomaru was already by her side. `My, he sure is fast.' Sorano mused as she knelt beside Rin's comatose form. Sesshomaru looked at her quizzically with a hit of suspicion in his eyes. Though she knew he was quite worried about Rin, she feared he might react to what she was about to do with violence.
Though a bit frightened, she gently laid her hand on the child's head. The reaction she received was one of study, so she continued.
 
 
One of the many things she had learned from her father was how to use her spiritual powers to heal the sick or the wounded; though doing so left her quite winded, if she overdid it and exhausted these powers she did so at the cost of her own life. The heat from Rin's forehead dulled as Sorano focused her energy, allowing it to flow through her into Rin. The energy filled the young child and fought off the illness that had taken over her until it had been completely disposed of.
 
 
Sorano, feeling considerably weakened, slowly lifted her hand from Rin's head.
 
 
Rin's eyes fluttered open. “Lord Sesshomaru…”
 
 
“I'm glad.” `She's all right.' Sorano said ever so softly as she attempted to stand. Her attempt failed however as she became dizzy from overexertion. She began to stumble backward but to her surprise, as well as everyone else's, Sesshomaru caught her.
 
 
“Sorano are you okay?” Kagome asked worriedly.
 
 
“Y-yes. Its just using my spiritual powers for healing takes a lot out of me. I'll be okay once I regain my strength.” Sorano looked completely exhausted.
 
 
“Who are you and why would you risk your own well-being for my young ward?” Sesshomaru insisted, unknowingly still holding her in his arm.
 
 
Her eyelids were growing heavy as she answered, “To protect the innocent.”
 
 
`Who is this woman? How does she possess such power?' Sesshomaru wondered as Sorano finally fell victim to sleep, her words echoing in his ears. `To protect the innocent…'