InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sorano's Secret ❯ The Battle Begins and An Unexpected Ally ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Battle Begins and An Unexpected Ally
 
After Sorano instructed the two half-brothers to swing each of their father's fangs simultaneously, she spent the better half of an hour trying to convince them that doing so was the only way to break the barrier.
 
Once they finally gave in to her “nagging,” the barrier faded into nothingness. There it was, Naraku's castle, hidden away deep within a mountainside, cavern.
 
“Should of listened to her in the first place InuYasha.” Shippo teased, knowing he was safely perched on Kagome's shoulder.
 
InuYasha grunted, trying to suppress his anger at the little kitsune. He realized that if he attempted to hit Shippo upside the head while the “twerp” was with Kagome he'd end up head first in a pile of rubble.
 
“Yea! Let's get `em.” InuYasha bellowed as he took off toward the haunted estate.
 
“InuYasha! Wait!” Kagome cried as she raced to retrieve her enraged hanyou.
 
Sango and Miroku looked at each other, shrugged their shoulders and followed in pursuit of their friends.
 
`This isn't good.' Sorano's Knowing preached, `Naraku has two prisoners, Kikyo and young Rin.' `I told Rin to stay away! Why didn't she listen?' she thought. `She feared what Sesshomaru would do to Kohaku, Sango's younger brother. She had hoped to reach Sesshomaru before he arrived here, but Kagura captured her.' Her Knowing answered.
 
Sesshomaru was calm and collected; he didn't race off into battle like some fool. He had noticed Sorano's blank stare and felt the fear that had crept up her spine. He waited for her to snap out of her altered state as if he hadn't a care in the world.
 
Sorano's eyes met his as she spoke, “Lord Sesshomaru, Naraku has Rin captive as well as Kikyo.”
 
At her words she could feel the sudden spike of power emanating from Sesshomaru. His eyes burned a wicked red and his jaw was clenched in rage. The cool persona he had once shown had vanished and before her stood an enraged and terrifying demon.
 
Not another second passed before he too had bounded off toward Naraku's wretched lair.
 
The group was about one hundred feet from Naraku's castle when Kagura appeared leading an enormous mass of demons, which covered the evening sky. Mixed within the horde of demons where Naraku's saimyoushou. The battle had begun.
 
Sorano, still a good distance away, was trying to devise a plan to rescue Naraku's captives. `If only I could save them.' She thought.
 
As her eyes scanned her surroundings they fell upon Ahun, who seemed to want her to follow him, and that she did.
 
Through the ancient shrouded forest they traveled, their footsteps falling softly on the damp moss beneath their feet. As they made their way around the mountain, the forest opened into a small clearing.
 
Sorano looked upward above the mountain, far beyond what mere mortals could see. And there hidden between two jagged cliffs lay an entrance to the demon's lair.
 
After thanking Ahun for his help, she spread her glittery wings and flew to the alternate entrance. The tunnel was cramped but she pushed forward. Moments later she entered the cavern. Stalactite and stalagmite protruded from floor and ceiling, offering little comfort to the already menacing atmosphere.
 
In the far corner of the cavern, trapped behind a barred wall, were Kikyo and Rin. Even though they were imprisoned, both captives were bound with rope. She rushed to their aid, but to her dismay Kikyo had been severely wounded and was on the verge of death.
 
Sorano was untying Rin when the child spoke, “I'm sorry Sorano. I know you warned me to stay away but I didn't want Lord Sesshomaru to kill Kohaku.” The girl's eyes were full and her voice sincere, “He never hurt me, even though he could have, he didn't” she sniffled.
 
“It's alright.” Sorano cooed. “But I want you to follow that tunnel out of here. Ahun will take you somewhere safe.”
 
“But…” Rin began. “Shush… I'll make sure nothing happens to Kohaku, I promise.” She hushed. “Now go.” She gently kissed Rin's forehead and sent her on her way.
 
Kikyo was barely conscious as she whispered, “I am too weak to escape, or even offer aid in Naraku's defeat. Besides, my reason for this miserable life was a mistake. I am already dead.”
 
“I can heal you,” Sorano offered as she began to channel her power.
 
“No, let me die. InuYasha has found a love that I never could have given him. Let my spirit be reunited with it's whole. My existence isn't required any longer.” With that, the priestess breathed her last.
 
Tears rolled down Sorano's cheeks and her heart ached as she watched the dead priestess dematerialize.
 
 
In the mist of battle Kagome felt her spirit stir within her. At first she was frightened, but the moment that small piece of her soul, which Kikyo had harbored for so long, was replaced, she knew why. `Kikyo is dead?' She thought as her brown eyes strayed to her beloved hanyou. `InuYasha.' Her heart was heavy. How could she possibly tell him she was dead? She bit her lip in frustration and as if he had sensed her anxiety he looked straight at her.
 
Her worry transferred to him as he noticed her uneasiness. He rushed to her side, still wielding Tessaiga. “Oi. Kagome, you okay?”
 
Her heart was pounding as their eyes met. “InuYasha,” she began, “Kikyo is… is… dead.”
 
“How do you know that?” InuYasha barked.
 
“I felt it InuYasha. I felt that piece of my spirit return.” Kagome's eyes lowered as if she personally felt guilty for Kikyo's death.
 
“Are you sure?” His grip on Tessaiga was getting tighter by the second. He didn't want to believe that Kikyo was dead.
 
“Um-hum.” The young miko confirmed as she glanced away, unable to look InuYasha in the eyes.
 
“Dammit!” In his rage he swung Tessaiga with such ferocity the remaining demons, an estimated two hundred, were completely obliterated.
 
“Naraku, you bastard! Quit acting like such a coward and get your ass out here!” He screamed, pain coating his angry words.
 
By this time, Sorano had exited the cavern and was headed back toward the front lines. `The wind has chosen her side. She will assist us in destroying Naraku. Hurry, time is of the essence.' Her Knowing whispered.
 
On the far side of the battlefield Jaken and Sesshomaru were fighting Kagura. Despite their joint efforts to slay her, she kept evading their attacks. Sesshomaru was steadily losing patience with her and in his fury he released an enormous amount of power as he swung his sword.
 
The sorceress was baffled at the speed of the blow and knew that it was unavoidable. Just as she braced herself for death, a warm, bluish, light enveloped her, shielding her from Sesshomaru's attack.
 
Sorano had arrived just in the nick of time to protect Kagura using her barrier. “Stop this useless quibble.”
 
Sesshomaru barred his fangs, for the first time, at Sorano. “Woman! What is this?” He raised his arm to her and struck her with unbelievable force.
 
Sorano was thrown several feet away and pain racked her body, as Sesshomaru approached, raising his fist for another blow. “How dare you interfere in this?” He seethed.
 
Sorano held up her arms in protest, her heart was racing, “She's on our side. Kagura wants Naraku dead just as much as we do. Besides, we need her to help defeat him.”
 
“Don't hurt her Lord Sesshomaru!” Rin shrieked. No sooner had the two-headed dragon landed had Rin run to shield Sorano from Sesshomaru's wrath. “She saved me, Lord Sesshomaru. Please don't hurt her.”
 
“Rin, I told you to get away from here.” Sorano gasped, still struggling to regain her composure.
 
“I know. But I saw Lord Sesshomaru was about to hit you and I couldn't let him hurt you.” Rin explained.
 
Faced with this discovery, Sesshomaru stopped his assault. Turning to Kagura he queried, “Is what she said true, about you wishing Naraku dead?”
 
“Yes.” Was the wind mistress's only reply.