InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ STF: Special Task Force : Japan ❯ Where is Kagome? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I sat in the break room. It had been a semi-fast day. Couple of break-in's. A few fights. But now I just looked from the paper in my hand, up to the clock. I sighed getting to my feet. Making my way slowly to Inuyasha's office.

--

"Inuyasha, has Kagome called you at all? She's one and a half hours over due for her shift."

I got nothing. He seemed to be awake. Though it was hard to tell. His bangs covered his eyes as his head was propped up on one hand. Another one outstretched on the desk a pen held slack in it.

I took the pen from him and watched as he didn't move. Sighing I slammed the door and watched as he tipped the chair back and landed on the ground.

"Sleeping on the job are we?"

I was answered with a low growl. "Alright, I get it. But Kagome is late, did she call you at all?"

"No. But this isn't like her. I've got her cell phone number some where. Hold on."

He said, fishing through his pockets. After a few minutes I looked down at the desk and found a paper. Printed on it was: `Kagome's Cell Phone'.

I cleared my throat and slid it over to him. He blankly stared at it for a moment before snatching it up.

I watched as he wait.

Her cell phone was ringing from in her office. He hung up the phone. "She must of left it here." He said.

"And she left her radio too. Have a house number?"

"Next on my list." He said dialing.

After a few minutes he hung up the phone with a concerned look on his face. "Her machine didn't pick up. Granted… she did just move but, when I called her last night it worked fine."

He seemed really worried. Did my talk with him on my first day have such an impact? Or was it more?

I grabbed my keys from my pocket and held them up. "You know where her new house is?"

"Yah."

"Come on, were going to check on her."

-----------

I followed the directions until we got to alight blue house with what appeared as three floors. White trim gave this house a homely appeal. A hard thing to believe after watching her take down a 200 pound guy with a single kick.

I heard a low growl coming from next to me as I noticed an extra car in the driveway as I pulled in front of it. "Recognize that car?" I asked. He only nodded for a moment.

"An ex-agent. Koga Frost. Got the kick for taking a bribe a while back. Never liked him. He treated Kagome like she was already his, though she wanted nothing to do with him. Though I must admit, he was the top sniper on the team."

I nodded as I got out and took a look at my watch. "Close to noon." I said aloud.

I was about to knock on the door when I felt Inuyasha grab my hand. Stopping me mid motion. "Hold on. Something's wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"Inside the house. It's too quiet. No music playing. No foot steps… just mumbling…"

"What to call it?" I asked, removing my weapon from it's holster.

"Payback." He said, doing the same thing.

I spoke quietly into the radio. "55 David, dispatch. Requesting back-up at 477 Yuma-road. One or more armed men inside. Respond code 3. Asap."

I slid into the doorway and into the hall.

"Ever been here before?" I asked.

"Haven't had the pleasure."

------------

3rd Floor

------------

Kagome watched as Koga sat at the window sill. "So glad we could be back together again, Kagome. I've missed you." He snickered.

"You don't think that when Inuyasha realizes that I'm missing he'll come looking for me?"

"Stilling hanging on to the terd are we? Not as smart as I thought."

"Besides, you forgot something else. We have a new chief. He'll definitely come looking for me."

She began to worry more as Koga slid the bullet into the bolt lock system of the rifle in his hands.

"I'm counting on someone looking for you."

It's a good thing he doesn't know about Bryan. She thought to herself, right before realizing that sirens, and lots of them, were in the distance.

--------------

Inuyasha stopped in front of a door.

Fist up. Two fingers. Forward.

She was right behind that door… with someone else. Koga.

I pounded on the door quickly. "STF, open up!"

An evil snicker answered my command. I heard the final click of a bolt being locked as I ducked low and spun out of the way. The large caliber bullet flying by my right arm as I did so.

Inuyasha growled. Knowing that he currently had us defeated. Another bolt lock sounded out.

"Look we can't do much without back up. SWAT and STF is on it's way. Guess we'll have to stick it out." I said, backing away quickly from the door. Not taking my eyes off it for a second. Inuyasha reluctantly followed.

-------------

Outside we waited for the Calvary to arrive. A battery of SWAT vans, Police cars, STF units and even a Mobile BCC or Base Command Center. The fact that our suspect was a top class sniper had sponsored a full scale response from everyone.

I couldn't believe what was happening. And Inuyasha wasn't making anything better as he growled at random items. At one point I grabbed him by the shoulder. "Calm down. You destroying public property won't get Kagome out of the house any quicker." I said. He didn't say anything back, he just stared at the house.

"He's smarter than this." He said, catching me off guard. "There's more to it."

"Sir!" A man called out from the MBCC. I turned around. "What?"

"I have the suspect on the line. He wants to talk to you." He said as I approached. I was handed a radio on the spot.

"Put me on the speaker system. You cut me off at anytime and I'll shoot her."

"Ok." I said, flipping a switch.

"Good." His voice rang over the loud speakers of the MBCC. Everyone fell silent.

"Total slaughter, Total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. Ly-de-di-de-dy. General Sighs. Ly-de-di-de-dud. An ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time."

It was a menacingly evil voice that filled the streets. Civilian on lookers looked from the BCC to the house and back again. Horrified by the song lyrics.

Inuyasha pulled me away from the mic for a moment.

"I knew it. There is more, I had Miroku run a background. A year before I joined the force, Koga had worked for STF: BS1." I froze hearing the shortened name. Inuyasha spelled it out. "Bomb Squad One. Bryan, there is a bomb in that house."

Total slaughter. Total slaughter. He was going to kill everyone on the scene if we didn't kill him first.

I won't leave a single man alive.

"Shit. But we can't let him know that we know. As of right now, he thinks we're in the dark."

Another evil laugh came over the speakers.

"Tell me. I've done my homework, Bryan. How will it feel to lose two team members?"

Two? Only Kagome was in the house…

Before I could think about it I shot rang out.

And it happened.

I could see the bullet. The waves of air around it as it went through the air. The spinning of it as well as the glass shattering and the muzzle flash.

Without even thinking it through I stepped back and lifted my leg up. Doing a round house into Inuyasha's chest. I ducted low as the bullet whizzed in front of me.

At the same time my weapon had magically materialized in my hand.

But then time stopped dead.

Nothing moved.

I looked around. What is going on?

Looking at the window I saw a second muzzle flash beginning.

Another shot. Towards Inuyasha… I grabbed the falling hanyou and placed him behind the armored van. I must have been moving really fast. As soon as he was safe, time picked up again.

The shot hit the ground, right where he would of landed.

Inuyasha took in a deep breath as he saw my eyes fade back to the normal mix of green and brown. "It happened again, huh?"

"Yah, only this time… time stopped."

----

Inside

----

"Damn it!" Koga hissed. Kagome smiled. "Sure you did your homework, but it doesn't affect him. I told you so. Why not let me go, Inu will go easier on you that way."

"I'll blow this place up before I allow that to happen."

----

Outside

----

Bryan took in a deep breath as he grabbed the radio.

"Look, I'll oblige your demands, I'll even let you walk out of here without a single shot fired. But do not shoot at my men."

"Oh, really?"

I didn't want to anger him too much. Not a single sniper unit was able to get eyes on.

I took a deep breath. Calmed my nerves. "Let the girl go. She hasn't done anything to you. Let her out, hell, I'll even take her place."

"I like my current deluxe package just fine."

Damn it. This wasn't going anywhere. I needed to know where the bomb was.

"Inuyasha, call Miroku down here. Wait, S-n-R is trained for searching for more than just people right?"

Inuyasha nodded, not quite following. "Call Sango down here as well. Tell them we've got a hostage taker with a STF-A inside. We have a bomb and we need it tracked."

"Why Miroku?"

"Never hurts to go the extra mile. Besides, I need SAT-LINK photos of this area. If he set it up here, we'll find it quicker."

"Tick tock." Koga mused over the radio.

Tick tock, indeed. Time is running out for you.

----------------------------------------

I watched with interest as Sango and the demonic kitty Kirara were guarded as the walked around the house. Miroku sat behind a lap top looking through SAT-LINK images.

"Here we go." He said pointing at the screen as Koga's car pulled into the driveway.

"Alright, he goes around back." I said more to myself then anyone as I walk around to the map of the house. "Single entrance to the basement. That's where it is. Get STF: BS1 in there. When it is disarmed I want to know."

I turned around to look at Inuyasha who sat, fits shaking at a desk. It's been a full hour since this whole thing began.

"BS1 Alpha to BCC on TAC 37-2."

"Go." Inuyasha said. Snatching the radio from my hands. I didn't give him a dirty look at all. This was more than just worry.

"Unit found and disarmed."

"Sniper 8 - I'm on yellow and awaiting orders. I have a semi-clear."

"Not good enough Inuyasha yelled. Red light - hold."

"You're not the commander."

I snatched the radio from him. "That is an order solder."

"Uh, yes sir."

Inuyasha gave a sheepish smile. "Sorry about that."

"It's fine." I said, taking my weapon on and heading outside. I set it on the top of my car and waved over an entry team.

"Alright. I'm going to try and get a good shot on the suspect. On my command, storm and rescue. Got it?"

"How are you going to get a shot with that?" An officer asked, seeing my sidearm on the car.

"Just trust me, get into position."

"What are you doing?" Koga said over the speaker.

"Just a precaution. No hero's." Inuyasha responded.

"Where is the other guy?"

"He needed to step out. He'll be back."

"He's got three minutes."

"Ok."

I picked up the sidearm in my hands.

I steadied my aim. Letting my body relax and work on it's own as I kneeled down.

Something new happened.

I felt it come from deep within my body. It felt like a growl and my vision, it became more clear. Almost like I had zoomed in on him.

Inuyasha's words echoed inside my head.

"He's a dormant half demon. A dormant half demon is almost like me. He or she looks completely human and has no knowledge of the demonic traits. But, when there is a threat of danger, the power takes over. In your case, the ability to slow down time and such." I shook my head. But another one just came through. This time Kagome's voice. "Wait, but dormant means not active. Is it possible to be a full half demon?" Inuyasha shrugged. "Don't know. If I can become full demon from time to time I don't see why not."

Is this what is happening to me now?

I wanted you to know

I love the way you make me laugh

I want to hold you high and steal your pain

Oh, I'll keep your photograph

And I know what serves me well

I want to hold you high and steal your pain

Cause I'm broken

When I'm lonesome

And I don't want to feel right

When your gone away

You have to wait

You don't feel me here

In my arms

The worst is over now

And we can breath again

I want to hold you high and steal thy pain

There's so much life to learn

And no one left to find

I want to hold you high and steal your pain

Cause I'm broken

When I'm lonesome

And I don't want to feel right

Cause I'm not strong enough

Cause I'm broken

When I'm lonesome

And I don't want to feel right

When your gone away

(Guitar Solo)

Koga had Kagome by her hair in the window. A pistol to the back of her head. A very small area of his head visible.

Cause I'm broken

When I'm open

I don't feel right

I'm not strong enough

Cause I'm broken

When I'm lonesome

And I don't feel right

When your gone away

(Instrumental)

Cause I'm broken

When I'm lonesome

And I don't want to feel right

When your gone

You've gone away

You don't feel me, here

In my arms

(Seether Featuring Evanescence's Amy Lee)

What is happening to me. My vision has changed. My aim is way too steady for this to be me. Could it be the demon in me?

I fired off one bullet and watched the exploding array of blood from Koga as SWAT and STF stormed the building. Inuyasha came up behind me, he had just noticed my eyes.

"Don't let this eat you up! Fight off the urge to kill!" He tossed the weapon from my hands. "Come on, work through it. It's not that hard!"

I knew he was talking to me. But it sounded like it was from a distance.

---------

I must of passed out as I found myself laying down in the cargo bay of my mobile until. I heard Inuyasha and Kagome talking.

"You think he'll be fine?" She asked.

"I'm almost sure of it. Though I fear my theory to be right. In time his power will grow until he looks like a half demon. As of now, it will come and go."

"I'm still amazed he was able to pull a shot of like that. I mean, I've seen you do it before, but never as accurate as that."

"Rub it in." He said. A fake hurt in his voice. I groaned and sat up.

"Look who's awake." Inuyasha said, his arms folded as Kagome gave me a brief hug.

"You saved me." She whispered.

"Don't worry about you. You'll do it to some day." I said as she let go.

"Now, someone tell me what happened."

"Well, to put it simply, you became a half demon for short time. Improved vision, better aim. It's all right there. Must be because your dormant that you don't look it… yet."

"And Koga?"

"Kingdom Yama Hospital. You got a nice shot off him. He'll pull through though. You hit him directly to the right of the spinal cord. Nice shot."

My head was swimming, and Inuyasha must of known this. "Now, curl up into a little ball and sleep back here. Since Kags has no where to live she's living with me for a while. You can rest at my place too for a while." He said, pushing my feat into the car, and shutting the cargo door.

-------------------

A/N: There you have it. Bryan's first half demon experience, and Kagome was taken hostage and to top it all off, Inuyasha is being nice! See you all next time!