InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Storm of Emotions ❯ chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2

Naraku chuckled to himself as he watched the priestess and hanyou from behind his barrier. His plan was going to be even easier to accomplish now that wolf demon had intensified the confusion between the pair. This aided his need for mistrust between the two. Self doubt and confusion would play nicely into the concoction he was preparing for the unsuspecting pair. He was going to enjoy watching that hanyou be destroyed. With that damn half demon out of the way, he would finally be able to use the miko to locate the final jewel shards. She wasn't such a shabby prize either. He rather liked the way she looked in those strange cloths and had often found himself fantasizing about her late at night. It was true that he had once coveted Kikyo, but now that Onigumo's heart was no longer in his body, she was useless to him. Just another obstacle that he meant to crush, but the girl... this Kagome... she was special to him. His grin deepened as he thought about the pained expression that would be on her face when he exorcised the purity from her body. Red eyes faded again into the dense forest. Only a little longer, then he would unleash his grand design.

Not far from were Naraku had been hiding behind his impervious barrier, the monk was trying to explain away some of the confusion between the young lovers.

“You see Inuyasha, Kagome believed you where asking her to be her 'boyfriend'. It is my understanding that this term is used for the male who is courting a lady. Now I was somewhat confused myself by her fast ramblings about 'mooveeez' and something called a 'mall', but at any rate she failed to comprehend what becoming a mate meant.” Miroku felt compassionate towards the young hanyou who's ears had flattened in disappointment at his words.

“I believe Inuyasha, that by claiming her as your mate, you would be in human terms committing her to something close to marriage. Am I correct?” A simple nod was all he got in response.

“Am I also correct in the assumption that the ritual includes consummation?” He inquired and after the strange look he received from the hanyou, he decided to clarify. “You know Inuyasha...what happens....between a man... and a woman!”

Now the point hit its mark as the half demon flushed a deep shade of crimson.

“Well of course stupid, how else do I mark her?” Inuyasha grumbled, very embarrassed by the direction the conversation was heading.

“That seems to be a bit of a problem with Kagome. It seems in her time it is custom to wait until an older age before engaging in such acts. She was mumbling so fast, it was hard to catch, but I believe she stated that she had to be at least 18 before doing 'the deed'.” Miroku sat beside the distressed demon he had grown to call friend. Unable to decided on how to proceed, he sat gathering his thoughts.

Meanwhile, Sango was trying to calm a very distraught Kagome.

“I had no idea that he was proposing. I thought he just wanted to be my boyfriend. It's all so sudden. I'm to young to do this! I still have to finish school. And...and... what would my mother think?” Kagome's thoughts were racing, trying to comprehend the translation that Miroku had offered to her.

“Kagome, maybe you should talk to Inuyasha. I imagine he's taking this a little hard.” Her kind hearted friend offered.

The simple words calmed Kagome and soon she was contemplating Inuyasha's feelings. Sango worried more as Kagome's look of distraught turned to one of self loathing.

Inuyasha. He must really hate me right about now. I basically just flung his proposal in his face. I wonder what he thinks of me? He's probably pretty upset at my reaction. I guess I should have asked him about the term mate before it came to this. What am I going to say to him? How do I tell him that my feelings are strong, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a step? Mating means just as it sounds. Just as it does in my world when it's applied to animals. I just thought he was confused and too nervous to get the right words out. Oh, I've made such a mess of things. How could I be so stupid?” Kagome gathered all the courage she could muster. Standing, she turned to thank her friend before venturing in the direction of Inuyasha.

“Your right Sango, Thank you.” Kagome was ashamed of herself and couldn't even look her friend in the eye. She nodded slightly before she trudged slowly towards her destination. Towards her fate, regardless of it all was going to blow up in her face. She knew that she had to face the issue head on. She couldn't pretend it didn't exist. She had to clear the air between them. How could they finally make it to this point only to have a slight play on words possible send their dreams crashing in on them?

Inuyasha sat in silence, Miroku having left him to his thoughts. He was suddenly afraid that Kagome wasn't prepared to be his. Maybe she wanted to stay with him, but abide by the common law of humans with humans, and demons with demons. Perhaps being a half demon, half human was going to haunt him for the rest of his life.

Kagome emerged from the bushes into the small opening where Inuyasha was sitting. Her heart sunk when she saw him. His ears had flattened to his head, shoulders slumped, and he stared persistently at the ground. He looked broken, like a vessel with no captain.

“Inuyasha, can we talk?” Kagome whispered, cringing as she expected him to tell her to leave.

“Yeah sure.” His barely audible whisper was caught on the breeze.

“Inuyasha, I'm sorry. I guess I didn't realize the words you were using. I know you probably don't like me at the moment, but I just... I just wanted you to know that it doesn't change the way I feel about you.” She spoke calmly as she came to sit beside him.

“Feh, and how exactly would that be?” He became defensive, trying to shield himself from her impending rejection.

“Inuyasha?” Kagome questioned, taken back by his sudden aggressive behavior. She paused, then taking a deep breath, she reached out and grasped Inuyasha's hand.

It was his turn to be taken aback. Kagome wasn't using this as an opportunity to run? Why?

“Inuyasha, I still love you.”

His ears perked up and he turned his head to stare at her with a look of confusion.

“It's just...I guess deep down, I kinda knew what 'mate' meant after Kouga was fighting with you. Miroku only clarified my suspicions. The truth is Inuyasha, I was and am scared.” Kagome shivered at the sudden enlightenment. She had only know figured out the truth behind her initial reaction.

“Scared?” he questioned.

“You see, a wife is something similar to what you demons call your mate. Being a wife means behaving a certain way and performing certain... ah...” Kagome blushed at her own words.

“Certain what?” The dense hanyou had yet to be very intuitive about the direction of the conversation.

“You know Inuyasha!” Kagome's blush deepened as she looked at the hanyou. She was shocked when he was still looking at her in confusion.

“No I don't! Certain what?” The demon was beginning to get slightly aggravated at Kagome's inability to inform him.

“Duties!” Kagome breathed out deeply after the word came out.

“Duties. Kagome, it's not like you have to clean our hut or anything. We won't need one since we always seem to be on the move.”

His ignorance infuriated her to no end some days. She began to fume as he rambled on about her poorly inept skills as a housekeeper and cook. Finally, she had had enough and because of her enraged state she managed to spit out the word that she never would have been able before.

“No baka, I'm talking about SEX!” she yelled, quickly slapping her hand over her mouth after realizing what she just said.

Inuyasha stopped his ramblings instantly. As her words dawned on him, he flushed heavily. He watched as the now very embarrassed Kagome turned from him. Drawing her knees up, she buried her head in her lap, unable to continue the conversation. He saw that in truth, she was scared. Scared of what though? The commitment, or the intimacy that was part of becoming a mate?

His eyes softened at the suddenly vulnerable girl who was trying to hide from him. He scooted behind her her, drawing closer by placing one leg on each side of her and pulling her back into his embrace. He squeezed her tightly, resting his head on hers as he spoke quietly and calm to her.

“Kagome, I'm sorry. I never thought about that part. I just assumed you knew. Your scared, but off what. I know that you think your too young, but in this time your of the right age.” He whispered reassuringly, trying to quell her trembling.

“But Inuyasha, I don't know if I can... if I... you know.” She barely squeaked, suddenly overcome with fear and emotion. Tears pooled in her eyes and she whimpered, trying to get more words to come out, but failing miserably.

So, it's the intimacy she fears.” He though to himself as he held his trembling, sobbing angel in his arms. “If its time she needs then I'll wait. I guess I shouldn't compare her to youkai. After all she's been through, I guess she needs time to get used to the idea.

“Kagome, we don't have to go that far yet.” he smiled as she tried to quiet her cries.

“Really?” Her broken word manifested between her teary sobs.

“I could just put a mark on you. That way everyone will know my intention. It might hurt Kagome. It's normally placed during the heat of... um... yeah.” he blushed, thinking about what that time would be like with the girl he held so dear to his heart.

Kagome smiled up at him, relieved that he respected her that much. “You promise that you'll wait until I'm ready?!”

“Just as long as you promise to eventually allow me the honor!” He braved a wicked grin and laughed when she blushed heavily at the comment.

“Inuyasha. Just what kinda girl do you take me for!” Kagome was now a little angered at the comment.

Inuyasha decided to silence her with a kiss. She was still seated in front of him so he held her with one arm, restricting her movement. He used the other to tilt her head to the side, far enough back that he could reach it when he leaned forward. He pressed his lips forcibly to hers, causing her to gasp in surprise. He kissed her passionately until her heart began to beat wildly.

With them both in a state of arousal, he trailed kisses down her face, stopping to growl deeply near her ear. He growled again when she shivered, just to cause the same reaction again. His lips trailed lower until they rested near the base of her neck. He wasn't willing to cause her anymore fear, so he hadn't told her the specifics of how he would mark her. When she shivered in delight he seized the moment to sink his fangs into the soft warm flesh of her neck.

Kagome was in heaven as his lips followed the length of her neck. She was in such a state of surrender that she hadn't noticed that the hand that had been on her chin was now positioned over her mouth. She jumped as heat ignited around the spot his mouth had been. Pain surged through her neck causing her to scream, though it was silenced by the hand now tightly clamped around her mouth. Tears poured from her eyes, but as soon as it happened, the pain began to fade. As she came out of the terror she had suddenly felt, she noticed the hand covering her mouth had dropped to rest on her opposite shoulder. A warm tongue lapped at the wound its owner had just inflected. She could feel its healing saliva working at closing the wound.

Inuyasha's heart had broke when she had screamed in pain. He knew the pain the marking would cause her. He had been prepared, but at the same time he was disgusted at being someone who had harmed her. His hand felt burnt by the tears that had fell on it as he had silenced her scream. He knew that there would be faint brushing on her arms where he had restrained her body from jerking away from him. He felt his own eyes burning as he cleaned the blood off her neck. The blood that he himself had caused to flow from the small punctures on her delicate neck. He was ashamed of himself in that moment. Ashamed that he had claimed such a delicate creature as his own. But there was no turning back now, for as he cleaned her blood, the secretions released from his fangs were circulating through her blood stream. Her scent was mingling with his own, making her unmistakably his. It would have been less painful for her if she had been in the throws of passion when he marked her, but until she conquered her fear, they would wait for that moment.

Kagome was dazed by what had transpired. Had he actually bit her? She was pondering on that when she felt something wet fall on the top of her shoulder. Soon another drop joined it. She turned sightly in the hanyou's lap, just enough so she could see the demon behind her.

He's crying!”

No sooner had she witnessed his silent tears when he pulled her into a deep embrace, burying his head in her neck. He was mumbling, trying to tell her something, his tears causing the top of her shirt to become damp.

“Inuyasha?” She pushed back, causing him to lift his head to look at her.

“I'm sorry Kagome, I knew it would hurt you, but I didn't want you to worry. I'm disgusted with myself. I'm supposed to be your protector and here I am, making you scream in pain.” His ears flattened again and he avoided her gaze.

“You should have told me Inuyasha, I wouldn't have hesitated. Then again, maybe your way was best. Oh Inuyasha, don't be upset. I know you meant well. I'm not mad. In fact, the pain is gone already. It might be tender for a while, but it wasn't that bad.” Kagome encouraged her hanyou to stand and continued to hol his hand. She smiled and began to lead him back to the camp. “I'm just glad that it's over. Inuyasha?”

“Yeah?” he replied, dropping her hand in favor of slipping his arm around her waist. He drew her near, needing her warmth to reassure him that what he had done wasn't wrong.

“Thank you. Thank you for waiting until I'm ready.” It was her turn to smile wickedly, feeling a little playful. “You'll be the first to know when that is by the way!”

&&&&&&&&&&&& &

The group was sleeping fitfully around the warm crackling fire. The darkness closed in around them, and a pair of red eyes drew near. Naraku had all his pieces in position and it was time to unleash his devious plan on his worse nemeses. His barrier had rendered him undetectable and all who slept were incoherent to him wandering about the campsite. He paused over his intended prey, taking in the innocent beauty in her form. He smiled despicably as he pressed the jewel shards into her throat. His hand covered her mouth to silence any noise the sleeping girl might make. His movements were fast enough that the shards began to work before she could break completely through her unconscious state. He slinked back into the darkness, oblivious of the bruising on the opposite side of her neck.


Naraku waited behind his barrier, carefully watching the band of fighters from a distance. Early morning was approaching and a thick fog was beginning to roll in. He was delighted in his plan to rid himself of that damn half demon. He had left the duty before to that black priestess. Once before he had intended to use the shards against the girl. Once before he had tried to get Kagome to kill Inuyasha, just the same as Kikyo had done over fifty years before. But alas, the black miko had failed in her attempt to kill the hanyou and younger miko. She had tried to steal the shards from him and had went so far as to release a powerful youkai, merging her body with it in a poor attempt at killing Inuyasha. He was tired of having his plans fail because of the incompetence of others.

With the dawning of a new day, he would set in motion his devious plot himself. No more failure to deal with. With him at the helm of this ship of destruction, he would succeed. He had placed all but two of his shards in Kagome. He required the two to maintain his barrier and to control the miko's shards. He would use the mistrust and confusion he had seen evident earlier to his full advantage. The tainted shards in the girl's neck would feed off of the emotions of self doubt, fear, and hatred. He would use a spell of illusion to fuel those emotions. The miko and hanyou would start with seeds of deception and with his hand to coax the direction of the illusion, those seeds would blossom into full buds of fear and hatred.

He smiled as he thought of that delicious moment fifty years ago when he had used the same tactic to tear apart the young miko who purified the Shikon No Tama, and the hanyou that still lived today. This time would be better. The excitement of Inuyasha's death would give him the high he had sought from the time of his birth. Then, he would have the satisfaction of destroying that girl piece by piece. First he would break her body, probably multiple times, then he would destroy her spirit. His grin deepened at that thought, and his eyes glinted with a malice they hadn't glowed with in quite some time. He growled slightly as his body began to rage with desire for the young girl.

The fog thickened around the sleeping humans. Naraku noticed that the hanyou had left the tree he had been perched in, to scan the area for impending danger. He held his breath as the hanyou stared in his direction, ears twitching nervously. Naraku eased his breath out as Inuyasha returned to sit under a large tree, again watching over his companions. Glancing down at the two paper dolls in his hand, Naraku began to weave his illusion in the quickly thickening fog folding around the campsite. Soon, his paper dolls would have bodies and his illusion would begin to suffocate his prey.

His eyes once again fixed on the slim form close to the fire. Within a few hours, he was positive that she would be his. No more would he have to reign in his desires for that despicably enticing human. No more would he worry about falling to the sword of that hanyou. Once he had Kagome, he would finish his quest for the few remaining shards and set forth his wrath on this pathetic world. That wolf would be no match for the bait he would have. The two shards in Kouga's legs would be easily stolen from him once he had Kagome. Then it was a matter of a few other pests to rid himself of and his future was sealed. An evil smirk crossed his face, red eyes igniting in silent loathing at the world he had come to hate. Soon it would all be his. Soon his plans would take shape. Soon the Shikon jewel would be whole.

His body quivered with excitement as the paper dolls took the shape of two beings very familiar to him. A few more moments and they would be complete. He concentrated on ensuring that their forms and personalities were completely accurate. He had spent the last few months trailing the individuals off and on to perfect their appearance and traits.

He was so sure of himself, that the thought of failure had not once crossed his mind. He took one final glance at the form before the campsite, before turning to his now fully formed dolls.

“Be off my children. Seek those who you desire and do whatever it takes to ensure your success.” A grim smile swept across his features as the dolls bowed slightly and crossed through his barrier. They split immediately so that they could approach the group from opposite sides.

“The time is almost here!” He chuckled, easing himself onto a branch high in a tree, perfect for observing the storm to follow.