InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sublimation ❯ Part Two: Sublimation of the Mind ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN:Thank you all so much for the great reviews! Reviews have this way of making you smile and giggle at the most inappropriate of times, so thanks to all who gave me that much needed smile! I hope everyone enjoys this chapter and the speedy update! Don't worry too much; the next chapter is finished, beta-ed and almost ready to go!
 
This is for you, the readers: Thank you so much and here's to a great and happy 2009!
 
* * *
Part Two: Sublimation of the Mind
 
* * *
 
Rule your mind or it will rule you.
 
-Horace
 
* * *
 
When Kagome finally awoke, her headache had nearly completely dissipated. Her confusion was gone, her vision clear and she felt more like her old self than she had in a long time. She winced as a dull ache snaked up her back. Perhaps she didn't feel completely like her former self. Every muscle in her body was sore from the physical strain she had exerted the last time she had been alert. With the exception of a few aches and pains, including the Shikon fragment imbedded in her heart and her chaffed wrists, Kagome was no worse for the wear.
 
With her renewed mental clarity, Kagome was finally able to think about her current predicament. From the restraints and the room, she concluded that she was in a mental facility of some kind. The how's and why's only served to spark her panic once more, so she quickly pushed them aside to focus on something else. Inuyasha had been dressed as a doctor and was working with Naraku. If that wasn't confusing enough, he had also appeared human. And he had called her…`Higurashi-san'?
 
Am I dreaming? Kagome wondered, closing her eyes. The golden rays of the sun danced across her skin leaving behind trails of warmth. Muscles in her arms and legs twitched every so often and the room smelled clean and sterile. She could even feel the harsh scrape of the Velcro straps as they brushed against her sore and abused wrists. Outside the window a small bird sang its high pitched song to the heavens.
 
A bird? Would she actually hear and be aware of such a tiny and vivid detail in a mere dream?
 
The door to her room opened once more and before she could turn her head, Inuyasha's smiling face was in her line of sight.
 
“Inuyasha,” she breathed a sigh of relief. “I'm so happy to see you! Why are you human!? What is going - wait! Never mind, I don't care - you can tell me later! Just free me and let's get out of here!” Her voice trailed off as she watched the confusion flitter through his deep brown eyes.
 
“Easy now,” he began, sitting lightly at the edge of the bed. “I can't release you from the restraints until you've proven that you won't hurt yourself or anyone else.”
 
“I…”
 
“We only wish for you to get better,” he continued. “This is the first time in months you've been alert and aware of your surroundings.” His eyes softened as they gazed into her own and the concern on his face was more then evident. “I want to help you, Higurashi-san. Please stop fighting me.”
 
Kagome was more baffled then ever. It was so strange to see Inuyasha like this but even more so that he was speaking to her with such tenderness. “But I'm not fighting you, Inuyasha! I'm fighting…” her eyes darkened as another figure appeared in the room. “…him!! It's Naraku, Inuyasha! Kill him! What are you waiting for!?”
 
Naraku sighed heavily as Kagome struggled against her imprisonment. “Is she suffering through another episode?” he asked softly, motioning for Kagura to bring him another syringe.
 
“No, wait,” Inuyasha said pleading and shook his head. “Just a few minutes ago, she was lucid and calm. Let's hold off on the sedative this time and see if we can talk her out of her delusions.”
 
“I'm not crazy!” she screamed, nearly dislocating her own shoulders in an effort to rise from the bed. “Why aren't you trying to get Naraku's Shikon fragments!? Why are you acting so strange, Inuyasha!? Are you under some kind of weird magic spell!?”
 
“Higurashi-san-” Dr. Inuyasha began.
 
Kagome,” she interrupted sharply, panting slightly from the exertion. “Since when did you start calling me `Higurashi-san'?”
 
Inuyasha frowned as he rose from her bed. “I've called you by your family name since the day you arrive at Shikon Sanitarium.” He glanced at Naraku for a moment, sharing a look of concern with the other doctor before turning his attention back to the distraught young woman. “Don't you remember? You came here on your fifteenth birthday right after you and your family visited your father's gravesite.”
 
Kagome's mind whirled. What in all the seven hells was going on here? How had Naraku managed to corrupt Inuyasha? And how the hell did he know about her father!? That was something she had never told him! “I didn't come here on my birthday,” she snapped angrily. “I was brought to the Sengoku Jidai! Whatever you're trying to pull, Naraku, it isn't going to work! And Shikon Sanitarium!? Do you really think I'm that stupid!?”
 
“This is most disconcerting,” Inuyasha stated as he turned to face Naraku. “She's allowed the fantasy to completely take over her consciousness. That first episode on her birthday only lasted a day before she became aware once more. Unfortunately, her relief only lasted a few hours before another attack -”
 
“Hey!” Kagome shouted angrily. “I'm not deaf! I can still hear you! `Disconcerting'? Inuyasha, you never talk like that and I didn't have an `episode', I was pulled through -” she bit back her words, remembering that Naraku was there and could hear her, “…I was taken to the Sengoku Jidai on my birthday and brought to Goshinboku! Remember!? You were pinned to the tree by Kikyou's arrow and I rubbed your ears - sorry about that, by the way - and then the villagers -!”
 
“Who?” Inuyasha cut in, furrowing his brow in confusion.
 
“Who…?” Kagome paused, recalling her previous rant in search of the person he couldn't identify. Her eyes widened in horror as only one name came to mind. “You mean Kikyou?” Kagome's mouth fell open in stunned shock. “I…” she floundered for an answer before slumping against her pillow. Was it actually possible for him to forget the one person that had always stood between them? She had always secretly hoped that he would forget Kikyou all together but now that her wish had been fulfilled, she felt even more lost and bewildered then before. Something was seriously wrong with Inuyasha.
 
Sensing her sudden despair, Inuyasha settled upon the bed once more and took one of her bound hands in his own. “Higurashi-san,” he prodded gently, “what do you remember of your first time in the `Sengoku Jidai'?”
 
Still a bit wary, she searched his eyes carefully for any signs of deceit. Her heart twisted at the expression of deep sympathy she could read upon his face. Finding nothing but concern and warmth in his beautiful gaze, she shrugged. “I found you bound to Goshinboku and then-”
 
“Not that,” he interrupted her with a wave of his hand. “After your...adventure, what you do remember about returning home?”
 
A tremor overtook her and for several moments, she couldn't speak. What was happening to her!? Why was Inuyasha acting so strange? Couldn't he recall the memories himself? The sense of danger and overwhelming dread caused involuntary tears to stream down her cheeks as she struggled to find the words. “Yura pushed me through…I-I mean, I came home, took a bath…Mama made oden that night,” she whispered as her shoulders shook with the effort to hold back her sobs. “We were just about to eat when you showed up. Remember, Inuyasha? You tried to pull me back to the past and then Mama stopped you and rubbed your ears…” She bit her lip as Inuyasha slowly shook his head.
 
“No,” he sighed, pulling a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe her cheeks. “Higurashi-san, you had your first episode that night and threw yourself through a set of sliding glass doors. I went to your home with a paramedic at your family's request.”
 
“No! The Shikon no Tama -”
 
“There is no such thing as the Shikon no Tama. The cut on your side and the one on your face were from the glass.” He squeezed her hand sympathetically. “When you regained consciousness, you started to spout off nonsense about a hanyou and a youkai centipede. When we tried to talk you down from your delusions, you grew severely self-damaging and tried to jump from the roof!”
 
What!? No. This is ridiculous. It's a lie! What the hell is going on!?
 
“You were taken to the hospital where you continued to shout about a youkai that controlled hair with a magical comb. The doctors there determined that you were suffering some sort of post traumatic stress due to the anniversary of your father's death and recommended that you be detained for observation. Your family requested the Shikon Sanitarium specifically.” Inuyasha released her hand and stood. “Over the past year, you've only been alert and aware of the outside world on a handful of occasions; each time asking for more supplies and food for your `companions'.”
 
The white of the room became impossibly bright and the few colors she could see blurred together as her surroundings spun out of focus. It was too much too soon and her mind was spiraling with confusion and fear. Kagome vaguely heard Inuyasha's cry of alarm as she released her tremulous hold on reality and sank back into the comforting depths of darkness.
 
* * *
 
It was three days before Kagome woke once more. Even as she shook off the last vestiges of slumber, her eyes remained closed and her body still. She knew it was nighttime and she wanted to float back through the swirling gloom and submerge herself in the comfort of her dreams. Only there was she happy. In her dreams, the well never closed, Naraku and the Shikon no Tama never existed, Kikyou and Kohaku were alive, and Inuyasha was completely and madly in love with her.
 
She snorted softly in amusement before falling silent once more. Yes - perhaps her dreams were full of contradictions and impossibilities, but they were hers. In them, she could be whoever she wanted and she could love or be loved by whomever she wanted.
 
Holding her breath, the miko listened intently to the sounds around her, praying that she would catch Shippou's quiet snores or the gentle serenade of the crickets. Perhaps she would hear the temperate rustle of leaves as Inuyasha shifted his position in the tree above her. She didn't want to move in fear that she would feel the scrape of the bands around her limbs. If she stayed perfectly still and silent, she could still pretend that she was back with her friends. Back to where she was safe and secure and she wasn't crazy.
 
“I know you're awake, Higurashi-san.”
 
Snapping open her eyes, her stomach rolled at the sight of Naraku sitting on the edge of her bed. How long had he been watching her? What did he want? She clenched her fist as he leaned over her but to her surprise, he merely released her restraints. Bringing her hands together to rub her chaffed skin, she scooted back to sit up in the bed and stare suspiciously at the faux-doctor. “What do you want?” Kagome asked softly, narrowing her eyes at her archenemy. “What did you do to me?”
 
Naraku sighed. “I only want to help you,” he answered in a shockingly sincere voice. “Since the first day you arrived at my hospital, I've only ever wanted to see you get well.”
 
“Oh really,” Kagome snorted, lifting the hem of her scrubs just enough to reveal an angry, red wound. “Did you forget about a certain little arrow?”
 
Frowning, Naraku covered her hands and gently lowered her clothing. “That isn't an arrow wound, Higurashi-san,” he explained as he released her. “During your latest episode, you tried to stab Dr. Byakuya-san with a steak knife. I am sorry to say that the orderlies were a bit more forceful then necessary. When they tackled you, the three of you overturned a few tables and the broken leg of a chair pierced your side.”
 
“No,” Kagome muttered, shaking her head. “That is absurd! You had one of your youkai shoot me with -”
 
“You were lucky the injury wasn't severe,” he continued as though he hadn't heard her. “If your appendix had ruptured, we would have had to perform an emergency appendectomy to avoid sepsis. It would have been dangerous in your current mental state for we would have been forced to heavily sedate you.”
 
“An appendectomy,” she snorted once more. “Clever.” Then again…how could Naraku know anything about appendectomies or sepsis? She shook her head slightly to dispel her doubt. No! Don't be fooled! It's all a trick!
 
For several moments, neither spoke. The two remained perfectly still, staring into each other's eyes as though trying to read the thoughts hidden there. And although she studied him intently, Kagome was disturbed at the absence of malice and cruelty shining back at her. All she could read was compassion and sincerity. The emotions were so foreign on Naraku's face that it was enough to make her shudder in revulsion. She never - ever- thought that she would actually feel more comfortable when she was at the mercy of the evil Naraku. At least with his vile counterpart she would know what she was dealing with.
 
A small beeping sound broke the silence, causing the two to immediately avert their eyes. Naraku's frown deepened as he pulled the pager from his belt and checked the tiny display. After having placed the beeper into the pocket of his lab coat, Naraku bent slightly to tuck the restraints back into their pouches. “I've tried to show you nothing but support and encouragement, Higurashi-san,” he sighed softly. “I've gone out of my way to be accommodating and to appear non-threatening to you. I've even released you from your bonds.” Standing stiffly, he gazed down at her confused expression. “What is it going to take to prove to you that I care about you?”
 
“You don't care,” she retorted. “You can't care! You're evil!”
 
“No, I'm not evil.” He stepped out of the room for a moment to retrieve a blanket from a cart outside her door. Returning, he spread the soft coverlet over the wary miko and took a step back. “Why do you insist on demonizing everyone who tries to help you?”
 
“I…I don't…”
 
“Hiten-san, Manten-san, Toukajin-san, Tsubaki-san, Kageroumaru-san - just to name a few!” Naraku crossed his arms in frustration. “All good doctors; all of whom you declared evil and attacked on numerous occasions! Kami, Higurashi-san, you almost put a chopstick right through Manten-san's nose!”
 
Kagome's eyes widened in shock as the list of names brought clear faces to her memory. “No!” she snapped angrily. “I put an arrow through Manten's nose because he tried to kill Shippou-chan! And all those youkai you've just mentioned are dead!!”
 
“No, not dead,” Naraku argued, shaking his head. “And not youkai either. Doctors, Higurashi-san. All of which have transferred to different hospitals because of you. It became so terrible that I had to oversee your care personally! The only other person who will assist on this case is Takahashi-san!”
 
“Takahashi-san? You mean…Inuyasha?”
 
“I mean Takahashi-san,” Naraku corrected, narrowing his eyes. “We've had this discussion before. You will respect the doctors and caregivers in this hospital.”
 
For a fleeting second, the man standing before her resembled the Naraku she knew from the Sengoku Jidai. That was all it took for Kagome's instincts to flare to life and she immediately tensed in anticipation.
 
Naraku dropped his arms, as though he had just sensed the change in her demeanor. With a long sigh, he bent over to tuck the blankets securely around her legs. “I have to go,” he spoke calmly. “I'll have Kagura-san come in later to put some salve on your wrists and tomorrow we're going to introduce you back into the general public.”
 
Kagome's eyes scrutinized his every move with the intensity of a predator.
 
“You will get better,” he reassured her gently as he moved toward the door and turned off the light. “If you let me, I can help you achieve everything you've ever desired.” And with that, he was gone.
 
Plunged into darkness, the miko quelled the rising fear in her breast and relaxed against the cool sheets of her bed. She was certain Naraku was still trying to confuse her, but at the same time, how could he know so much about this era - her era? And all the things he had told her - while she knew they were false - at the same time, they made so much sense.
 
Shaking her head, she pulled the blanket up to her chin and rolled to her side. For tonight, she would sleep. Kagome would need all the energy she could spare, for in the morning, she fully intended on making her escape. Releasing a yawn, she felt herself slowly unwind and her thoughts became fuzzy and slow. Just before she dropped over the edge into unconsciousness, she could have sworn she heard Inuyasha's voice:
 
“Don't give up. Keep fighting!”
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha was nervous.
 
No. That was not an adequate word to describe his feelings.
 
Staring at Kagome's unmoving form in his lap, he could think of one word and one word only to sum up his thoughts:
 
Terrified.
 
Shippou had finally drifted off into a fitful slumber snuggled in Miroku's lap. It had been difficult to pry the kit away from Kagome, but after her first convulsive fit they didn't want to risk any injury to the little guy. They had finally convinced Shippou that Kagome would be devastated to awaken only to discover she had hurt him - even unintentionally. As much as the kitsune wanted to stay in contact with his closest friend, he understood everyone's concerns and reluctantly agreed to keep his distance.
 
Aside from that first terrifying seizure, Kagome had remained relatively quiet. Inuyasha's acute hearing picked up the occasional muttered word or whimper of distress. Her scent, however, told a completely different story. The constant bombardment of her emotions made the hanyou ache in both his head and his heart. Her moods constantly shifted between various forms of fear: terror, apprehension, horror, panic…it was enough to make him psychically ill.
 
Occasionally - much to his consternation - she murmured his name, causing him to wonder if he was the one terrorizing her in her dreams. The thought of Kagome frightened because of him made him sick in the heart and he unconsciously tightened his hold on the miko, shifting her form to rest more comfortable in his lap.
 
“What is that?” Miroku asked quietly as he gently laid Shippou's slumbering form atop Kagome's sleeping bag.
 
“What is what?” the hanyou replied, studying the woman in his embrace for any indication as to what the monk could have been referring to.
 
That,” he hissed, reaching out to gently pull back the sleeves of Kagome's suikan.
 
They both stared in shock at the fiery red marks on both of her delicate wrists. As carefully as he could, Inuyasha lifted one of her arms to study the strange rash that seemed to have suddenly appeared upon her skin.
 
“It…it looks as though she'd been…bound,” Miroku whispered harshly. “What the in all the seven hells is going on!?”
 
Lowering her garment carefully into place, Inuyasha favored the houshi with a small shake of his head. “I don't know,” he admitted with much difficulty. He hated to admit that he was at a complete loss here. “She seems to be dreaming.”
 
Miroku clenched and unclenched his cursed hand; a habitual movement he tended to perform whenever he was distraught. “This is no dream,” he stressed angrily. “Physically manifested injuries? No…this is some sort of strange magic…”
 
“…dead…”
 
The two fell silent as that one ominous word escaped Kagome's lips in a breathy sigh. Inuyasha's hands began shaking so severely, he almost didn't feel the soft tremor of fear that coursed through her. Miroku immediately clapped his hands together and closed his eyes, praying frantically to Buddha or any kami willing to listen. Although Kagome still reeked of fear and confusion, Inuyasha caught the tiny scent of determination and courage. Secure in the knowledge that wherever she was in her mind, she was still fighting, Inuyasha brushed back her long hair and gently rested his cheek on the crown of her head.
 
“Don't give up,” he whispered softly, hoping with every fiber of his being that she could hear him. “Keep fighting!”
 
* * *
 
Kagome sat quietly at a round table, studying the people around her in complete shock. She recognized most of them! Various villagers and even youkai she had encountered during her time in the Sengoku Jidai. Well, at least they had been youkai. Now everyone appeared to be human and they were all acting like complete lunatics!
 
“Kagome!”
 
She barely had time to turn before her hands were enveloped by a much larger pair. The pointed ears and the tail were gone, but she'd recognize those vivid blue eyes anywhere. She gaped silently at the newcomer as he flashed a dazzling and downright feral grin. “How is my woman!? I haven't seen you in ages!”
 
“Kouga-kun?” she managed to choke out, too stunned to even pull her hands from his grasp. Her heart skipped a beat as his eyes twinkled with merriment. “What are you doing here? How are you…human?”
 
Chuckling softly, Kouga shrugged and squeezed her hands affectionately. “I don't know, my sweet,” he crooned, “but we have to get out of here. I have a tribe to avenge!”
 
Kagome could have fainted at his declaration. “Yes!” she cried, glancing around to make sure no one heard her excited utterance. “I'm so happy to hear you say that, Kouga-kun! Now where are your companions?”
 
“What companions?”

The smile fell from Kagome's face as hopelessness washed away her temporary elation.
 
“Your brothers, Kouga-kun,” she whispered, unable to keep her tears at bay any longer. “Remember? You three are inseparable.”
 
“No, no,” Kouga insisted, shaking his head. “You told me that everyone in my tribe had been slaughtered by that nurse Kag-…I mean, that wind witch Kagura! Did I get it wrong? They lock you up for weeks at a time - it's hard to remember what I'm supposed to do and say! Don't cry, Kagome! I'll get it right next time!! I promise! Do over! I want a do over!!”
 
Pulling her hands from his clutches, she covered her face and sobbed quietly as Kouga pleaded for her forgiveness. It hurt far too much to have her hopes so thoroughly ripped from her. Ignoring the former-wolf's desperate cries, Kagome stood from the table and weaved blindly through the mass of confused residents. She didn't know where she was running to, only that she had to get away. Away from this place; away from the people she thought she knew. Nothing made sense any longer!
 
She was too distracted to notice the figure that had just stepped in front of her and in her haste, she collided painfully with the solid wall of a warm body. The two tumbled to the ground in a heap of tangled limbs and rustling fabric as she squeaked in alarm. Humiliated, Kagome struggled to rise and began to mutter an apology when a frighteningly familiar feeling registered in her mind:
 
Something was gently caressing the swell of her backside.
 
“Miroku-sama!” Kagome screamed, throwing her arms around his torso and hugging him tightly. Could it really be? Had she finally found a friend in this endless delusion of madness?
 
“There, there, Kagome-sama,” he soothed, gathering her in his arms. “I'm here now. There is nothing to be frightened of.”
 
Pushing away from him suddenly, Kagome sat back on her heels and studied her friend thoroughly. Purple robes, clothed hand, rosary beads… She sighed with obvious relief. It was Miroku just as she remembered him; right down to his outfit and shakujou. All that was missing was -
 
“Kagome-sama, would you do me the honor of bearing my children?”
 
She grinned. She could have kissed him in that very moment. Instead, she opted to hugging him fiercely, uncaring that his hand wandered to her rounded posterior once more. “I'm so scared,” she whispered in his chest. “Something terrible has happened and I don't think anyone else realizes it! We're stuck in some kind of alternate reality or dimension or something!”
 
“That is strange, Kagome-sama,” Miroku nodded as he helped her stand. “Perhaps we should consult with the lovely Sango?”
 
Hardly able to believe her own ears, Kagome looked up earnestly. “Sango-chan is here as well?”
 
Miroku smiled. “Of course.” He bent down to retrieve his shakujou. “She is currently gathering information on our peculiar predicament. When she has sufficient evidence of foul play, we will go to Inuyasha.”
 
“Yes!” Kagome cried happily, practically jumping up and down in her excitement. “If he needs proof, we can show him your kazaana! He'd have to believe us then!” Her heart pounded. “He'll have to finally believe me.”
 
“Agreed.” Miroku smoothed his purple robes and held his unclothed hand for Kagome to take. “Let's go.”
 
As stealthily as possible, the two made their way down the darkened hall, ducking behind various forms of medical equipment whenever a member of the hospital staff wandered by. Too excited about the prospect of escaping this horrible place, Kagome failed to notice that Miroku had led them in a complete circle. Her heart began to beat frantically as they entered the dining hall once more.
 
“Miroku-sama,” she began, “I don't think -”
 
Youkai!” he shouted, flinging his shakujou to the floor. Shoving Kagome behind his back, he ripped the beads from his wrist and positioned his palm in front of them. “Stay back, Kagome-sama, or you too will be sucked into the void!! Do not fear for I will protect you!!”
 
Fresh tears spilled down her cheeks as she watched Miroku thrust his hand toward the crowd of oblivious patients. He cackled with glee as he moved his arm across the room with a sweeping gesture. No kazaana. Not even a breeze. She was afraid to even look but forced herself to step in front of him and grasp his wrist.
 
“Miroku-sama,” she said as her voice quivered slightly. “Is this…ink?”
 
“No!” he shouted, ripping his arm from her grasp and gripping his wrist with his other hand. “It is my kazaana and if you don't get out of the way -”
 
Kagome stumbled backward in shock and nearly fell as the houshi released an earsplitting scream and collapsed to the ground.
 
“Miroku-sama!?” she shouted in concern, kneeling beside her thrashing friend. To her shock, he removed a black felt marker from within his robes and furiously began to scribble on his hand.
 
“It's spreading! Kazaana is widening!!” he screamed, spraying spittle through the air with every word. “Oh, Kami! I'm going to die, just like my father and -”
 
“- Miroku-sama! Miroku-sama, please - !!”
 
“- Kagome-sama, please tell the lovely Sango that I -!”
 
What is going on over there!?
 
Kagome gasped in utter shock as a pretty young orderly rushed toward the fallen monk and pushed her aside. “S-Sango-chan!?” she choked softly. The tight control she had on her tears threatened to burst as Sango glared at her with no friendly, sisterly recognition in her eyes.
 
The orderly spared the stunned girl a brief look of chastisement before wrapping the cloth and rosary back around Miroku's `injured' hand. “What have I told you two about playing `kazaana'?” she chided as she rose to her feet and helped the whimpering faux-houshi stand. “It isn't good for your mental health to continue to pretend that you're living in this feudal world. You know I'm going to have to report this to Dr. Inuyasha.”
 
“Sango, my love. You've saved my life,” he wheezed, leaning heavily on the former taiji-ya. “How can I ever repay you?”
 
“Let's just get you back to your room,” she said tenderly, placing a arm around his waist in support. Unable to speak, Kagome merely stepped forward and offered Miroku his shakujou. Sango snatched the staff from her slackened fingers, cutting her down with another blistering glower. “And you,” she hissed vehemently, “had better get back to the common area. I'm going to inform Dr. Naraku and Dr. Inuyasha of this little stunt you pulled today.”
 
Kagome cringed at the look of fury that twisted the orderly's normally pleasant features. Sango's face softened as Miroku released a heavy sigh and leaned against her shoulder.
 
“Do not blame Kagome-sama for my weakness against Naraku's poisons.” Turning toward the trembling young woman, he flashed a weary smile. “Thank you, Kagome-sama,” he sighed. “I'm afraid I've overused my kazaana today. We will further discuss our plans when the poisons have been leeched from my body.”
 
Tossing Kagome one last look of annoyance, Sango led the stumbling monk down the hall, their voices echoing off the smooth walls. “What did I also tell you about pulling down the curtains and the curtain rods in the conservatory?”
 
“They aren't curtains, my love. They're my robes.”
 
“Right. Your robes and your shakujou.”
 
“Exactly, my beautiful taiji-ya. Did you glean any useful information on Naraku?”
 
“I learned that you are to attend group therapy today without complaint. And if you touch me again, you lecher, I'll strap you down to the bed this time and beat you with your `shakujou'…”
 
“I do not control the actions of my cursed hand, lovely Sango. And while I am inexperienced in such rough bed play, I will do my best to learn quickly for you…”
 
As their voices faded, Kagome's vision blurred with the ferocity of her tears. She couldn't take it anymore. This was all wrong. It was crazy, damn it! Whatever had happened to her and Inuyasha and her friends, she would sort it all out when she was finally away. She had to get out of here now!
 
Leaping to her feet, Kagome raced toward the guarded exit amid cries of shock and anger. Summoning every ounce of her strength, she shoved herself against the tall orderly, pushing him through the heavy wooden door and falling on top of his flailing form. Recovering faster then her opponent, Kagome scrambled to her feet and sprinted down the cold concrete stairs.
 
“Higurashi-san! No!!
 
Kagome recognized Inuyasha's worried shout but ignored it as she slammed against the crash bar and propelled herself out the glass doors toward her freedom. Instantly, she was blinded by the intense glare of the noonday sun and she skidded to a halt in an attempt to adjust her eyes. To her shock, the outside world appeared…normal. Tall buildings, bustling crowds and the gentle hum of constant activity surrounded her senses. This wasn't right. She had been sure that once she was outside, she would immediately spot the inconsistencies of this strange dimension.
 
A deafening scream sounded to her right and she turned to see a massive blue oni lumbering toward her. Calling upon her miko powers, she lifted her arms to disintegrate it with her spiritual energy. To her shock and fear, the usual pink glow of her hands failed to spark to life. Another roar shook the very earth as the oni drew back its arm to strike the young miko. Pushing aside the nagging self-doubt, Kagome closed her eyes and willed a barrier to form around her.
 
Pain exploded through her right side and before she could scream, she was airborne. Her flight seemed to play out in slow motion as she finally realized her miko abilities were gone. Something was terribly wrong with her. The Shikon fragment embedded in her heart had enhanced her spiritual energy but those powers had failed to come forth at her command. She couldn't even form a simple barrier.
 
Maybe I am going insane… she thought as she watched the ground inch closer. A mad hilarity rose within her and she fought the urge to release the mindless cackle. Maybe I'm dead and this is all just some part of hell…
 
She was unconscious before her body slammed into the ground.
 
* * *
 
Naraku broke from his rigid posture with a small gasp and a very large grin. Returning his eyes to mirror, he almost laughed at the broken and bloody mess that had once been the Shikon Miko.
 
“My lord?” Kanna asked in a small voice, lowering the silver frame.
 
Clutching the Shikon no Tama triumphantly, Naraku grinned at his incarnation.
 
“I do believe Kagome has finally learned her lesson.”
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha was jolted from a dream of blinding pain by the sudden coppery stench of fresh blood. Cloudy amber eyes quickly scoured the small camp for the source of his panic to no avail. Miroku slept peacefully against a nearby tree and Shippou was still resting on Kagome's sleeping bag. Confused, he gently sniffed the air and gagged as the metallic fragrance flooded his sensitive nose. What the hell? Inuyasha shook his head, trying to clear his mind and glanced down at the girl in his arms.
 
Kagome!!”
 
Inuyasha's sharp cry drew the other two from their various levels of slumber.
 
“What is it?” Shippou groaned, rubbing sleep from his eyes. His hands froze in their motion as soon as the pungent odor registered in the kit's foggy mind. “I-Inuyasha?”
 
Miroku's hands fluttered uselessly as he watched the hanyou gently lay Kagome down on a soft cushion of grass. It didn't make any sense. She had been fine when they had all drifted into a light slumber! Other then the marks on her wrists, she had been fine…
 
“Kagome!?” Shippou sobbed, lunging toward the prone girl. Terrified that the kitsune would exacerbate her injuries, the houshi caught Shippou before he could make contact and pulled him to his shoulder. He felt every tremor that shook the kit's small body and answered with a shudder of his own. Inuyasha's jaw moved as he tried to form the words to describe his bewilderment.
 
“I…I don't - Miroku, I…”
 
Never before had Miroku seen his brave hanyou friend look so lost and confused. Inuyasha's expression was a mixture of fury and self-loathing as he carefully studied the girl before him.
 
Blood trickled from Kagome's nose and the corner of her mouth and the once creamy and flawless skin of her face was now marred with terrible bruises. Her breaths came out as harsh pants and her chest heaved as though every intake took a tremendous amount of effort to achieve. Whimpering in pain, Kagome coughed lightly and fresh blood bubbled from her trembling lips.
 
“She's been injured,” Miroku choked out, feeling a bit foolish for having stated the obvious.
 
“This doesn't make any sense,” Inuyasha growled, clenching his fists to hold back the murderous rage that filled his heart. “She looks like she's been beaten, but she's been with us the entire time! There's no way -!”
 
Miroku uneasily edged away a bit as the hanyou's eyes swirled with crimson and his fangs extended. “Inuyasha,” he said shakily, “you mustn't lose control. Kagome-sama needs you…”
 
Snarling softly, Inuyasha dropped his glowing eyes to Kagome's face. His youkai demanded retribution. He wanted blood. But, who or what exactly was he supposed to fight? He didn't even know what was hurting her! As sudden realization flooded through him, Inuyasha's shaking hand sought out his father's heirloom before he lost complete coherency. He had laid it at his side earlier to accommodate for Kagome's body in his lap. Breathing heavily, he clutched Tetsusaiga's hilt and his elongated claws cut into his flesh as his grip closed over the smooth leather.
 
Must remain…calm. Inuyasha closed his eyes and struggled to bring himself back under control. Even with Tetsusaiga, he was having a difficult time regaining any semblance of sanity. The pain brought upon Kagome was enough to drive him mad with rage. A red haze took over his mind and he snapped his eyes open, focusing his murderous gaze on his fearful companions.
 
“Inu…yasha…”
 
A soft groan drew his attention downward and with great care, he gathered the injured girl into his arms. Almost immediately, Kagome's warmth did what Tetsusaiga had failed to do and he felt the feral fires within him cool. Kagome…needs me, he thought, his fuzzy mind growing clearer with every breath of her pain-laden scent. I have to remain strong and focused if I'm going to help her.
 
“Inuyasha?” Miroku's voice broke through his internal musings.
 
“I'm fine,” he replied, releasing a small sigh. Kami, Sango! Hurry!!
 
* * *
 
Kagome awoke in a world of anguish. She could feel nothing past the crippling waves of agony that crashed against her battered body and tore through to her very soul. Every movement, every blink ripped through her, leaving her breathless. It took several minutes before she registered another presence in the darkened room. Turning her head to identify her silent companion, she cried out in torment as colorful lights exploded behind her eyes.
 
“Take it slow,” a soft voice crooned comfortingly in her ear. “You could injure yourself even more severely if you push too hard.”
 
“No,” she croaked, shocked at the rattled sound of her own voice. Scowling as hatefully as she could manage, she glared at her enemy. “Get…away. What did you…do to me?”
 
“Higurashi-san,” Naraku sighed as he sat gently on her bed. “You were in a terrible accident. Why did you run outside? You know it's dangerous.”
 
Kagome tried to sneer, but only managed a pained gasp. “You sent…an oni after me?” she groaned. “My barrier failed. How could it have - how did you take my spiritual powers away?”
 
“No, no.” Naraku shook his head and stared down at the young woman with concern in his eyes. “You weren't attacked by an oni. You were hit by a bus.”
 
“No!” she snapped, wheezing from the effort. “I tried -”
 
“The driver said you rushed into the street without even looking!” the doctor growled in frustration. “When he sounded his horn, you merely turned your head and closed your eyes! Kami, Higurashi-san, are youtrying to get yourself killed?”
 
“Don't be ridiculous,” she spat, wincing at a fresh wave of agony. “I was erecting a barrier against the oni -”
 
“There was no oni. You have no spiritual abilities,” Naraku grounded out through tightly clenched teeth. “This delusion of yours is going to get you killed someday!!”
 
She turned hate-filled eyes to Naraku. “I'm not crazy.”
 
“The very first step to recovering from any problem is admitting that you have one, Higurashi-san.”
 
“I'm not crazy!”

Naraku didn't even try to hide his malicious sneer as he stared down at the injured girl. “Then explain this to me: if your powers are a part of you, then why couldn't you summon them to save yourself?” he questioned harshly. “Why is it that Inuyasha and all your other `friends' don't remember the same reality that you do!?”
 
“I-I don't know…”
 
“I can help you, Higurashi-san,” Naraku said, softening his tone. “But only if you want help. You have to desire it with everything inside of you.”
 
Although she hated herself for it, Kagome slumped against the soft mattress and sobbed. She was in so much pain; more then she could ever remember having been in a mere dream or even real life. The combination of Naraku's words and the horror of waking up to discover she was still trapped in this terrible nightmare had finally just been too much. In her weakened state, she could no longer cling to her fragile bit of courage. All she wanted to do was sleep and forget.
 
She felt Naraku's touch as he smoothed her hair and gently brushed the streaming tears from her flushed cheeks. Revulsion curdled her stomach but she was far too weary to fight him. Closing her eyes, she willed her mind to slip away from his caresses, this hospital…the madness.
 
“It's okay,” she heard him murmur. “You're going to get through this. You'll get better soon, I know it.”
 
Blessedly, the darkness overcame her.
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha nearly collapsed with relief as a familiar fiery figure appeared on the horizon. Within minutes, the cat landed and Sango awkwardly leapt from her back in her haste to kneel at her battered friend's side.
 
“What happened?” Sango asked, her voice shaking with emotion as she tenderly brushed a damp lock of lank hair from Kagome's bruised cheek.
 
Shaking his head in response, Inuyasha's eyes narrowed as he stared down at the distressed taiji-ya. “Did you find anyone?” he asked harshly, his feelings of impatience spilling over into his tone.
 
Lifting her head, she met his smoldering gaze. She knew she had been gone for a long time, but there was nothing she could do! “The village didn't have a miko or a healer. I went to the next village, but it was the same there as well.”
 
“You didn't find -”
 
“I found him,” she interrupted, nodding toward Kirara. “Or rather, he found me.”
 
Before Inuyasha could ask, a small pinprick of pain pierced his throat. Instead of slapping the flea like normal, the hanyou merely sighed and allowed the retainer his fill of blood.
 
“Inuyasha-sama!” Myouga burped. “What terrible malady has befallen the lovely Kagome-sama?”
 
“Myouga-jijii,” Inuyasha muttered quietly. Secretly, he was relieved with Sango's choice of assistance. The flea was very knowledgeable about strange magic and without Kaede's wisdom to guide them, the hanyou would take just about anyone else who could possibly help.
 
“Please,” Sango whispered softly, cradling Kagome's hand. “Help her.”
 
The desperate plea in the taiji-ya's voice caused a tiny lump to form in the old flea's throat. This woman had experienced loss and anguish unlike any other he had known. For her to be so frightened and distressed over Kagome… Something must be terribly wrong! Determined to do his best not only for the young miko but for her devastated friends as well, Myouga deftly hopped onto her discolored cheek and prepared to taste her blood.
 
“Oi!” Inuyasha barked as he pinched the flea between his fingers. His blood: fine. Kagome's blood: not okay. “This isn't a free meal!”
 
“You misunderstand!” Myouga cried as he squirmed in the crushing vise of the hanyou's claws. “The blood holds no secrets! With one taste, I can detect illness or emotions! It is the only way I know to discern what ails her!”
 
Flushed with shame at his rash actions, Inuyasha merely grunted and released him. Without wasting another second, Myouga plunged in. Almost immediately he spat out a mouthful of crimson, sputtering and choking at the taste. “Something taints the normally pleasant flavor of Kagome-sama's blood!” he declared while gagging lightly.
 
“Someone poisoned her?” Sango asked as her concerned expression deepened considerably. “But how and -”
 
“Not poisoned,” Myouga shook his head and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Her blood has been tainted and whatever magic was introduced into her system is affecting her conscious state.”
 
The group fell silent as Kagome groaned and shivered slightly. A small cough brought fresh blood to her lips and she winced as another painful tremor wracked her battered body.
 
“How is it that she is showing signs of physical injuries when she hasn't received any?” Miroku pondered aloud. It disturbed him that she had been so easily injured right under their noses.
 
Deep in thought, Myouga continued to rub his chin. “You say her injuries manifested themselves while she slept?” he asked no one in particular.
 
“Yeah.” Everyone turned toward Shippou as he finally spoke. His sorrow was painfully evident in the broken tone of his voice. “Something is hurting her in her dreams.”
 
A bit surprised at the astute observation by the kitsune, Myouga nodded in agreement. “I believe Shippou is correct,” he stated.
 
Refusing to relinquish his hold on the miko, Inuyasha drew her closer and stared curiously at the old flea. “In her dreams?” he repeated with a hint of doubt. “I've never seen dreams do that to a person.”
 
Nodding once again, Myouga settled down upon Kagome's shoulder and crossed his legs. “While that is correct as well, Shippou's suspicions are not without merit,” he explained to the rapt group. “It would be my conjecture that someone managed to gain access to Kagome-sama's mind and is manipulating her reality in order to get something from her.”
 
“But that still doesn't explain her injuries,” Miroku countered.
 
Myouga said, “But it does in a way.” He gestured toward the miko's bruised countenance. “The mind is a very powerful thing. It tells us what to feel, what to smell, what to see…”
 
“So if someone could manipulate the mind, they could actually cause injuries?” Sango sounded doubtful.
 
“That is the theory.” Myouga sighed and slumped his tiny shoulders. “It is the only explanation I can come up with and I still do not know who or how they penetrated her mind.”
 
“It was Naraku,” Inuyasha answered without hesitation. “He must have used that arrow and that youkai to do this to her.”
 
Sango expression sank into one of absolute horror. “Naraku must be after Kagome-chan's Shikon fragment,” she whispered hoarsely. “If he can somehow convince her to give it to him, then he'll have the completed Shikon no Tama!”
 
“How can we fight this?” Miroku asked. He couldn't believe what was happening to their young friend. “How do we reverse what was done to her?”
 
Staring down at the sleeping miko, Myouga managed a small shrug. “I don't know,” he admitted softly. “Without knowing what magic he used or even how he obtained access, it would be too dangerous to Kagome-sama to try and pry into her mind. We could cause terrible and irreversible damage.”
 
They all fell silent as Kagome groaned softly and her eyes rapidly darted from side to side behind her closed lids.
 
“We'll go after Naraku,” Inuyasha said, breaking the silence. “We'll force him to bring Kagome back.”
 
“I'm afraid I cannot allow that.” A bit startled, the group turned to see Byakuya leaning nonchalantly against a tree. “Please believe me when I say that while I do not wish to do battle with you, but I have been ordered to stop you from pursuing Naraku at all costs.”
 
“You bastard,” Inuyasha growled at the youkai, though he still held Kagome's unconscious form in his arms. “What have you done to Kagome?”
 
Byakuya frowned as he stared down at the scene. “I've done nothing, Inuyasha,” he answered. “This behind-the-back attack tactic is one that I am not fond of. If I wished to engage you and your friends, I would simply come forward and challenge you.”

“Then why didn't you tell Kagome-chan what Naraku was planning?” Sango shot back angrily.
 
Byakuya replied, “It was not my place.” Shrugging, he reached into his pocket a removed a sparkling Shikon fragment. “I merely take orders.”
 
The group gaped in shock at the fragment in the youkai's possession. Their eyes widened further when the shard seemingly disappeared into thin air. It took only a second to realize that they were not alone in the clearing and everyone immediately stiffened in anticipation.
 
“What -!?” Miroku began before something slammed painfully into his midsection and sent him back into the trunk of a nearby tree.
 
“Houshi-sama!” Sango shouted, drawing her sword and striking a defensive pose with Hiraikotsu in front of her. “Inuyasha! Do you sense anything?”
 
The hanyou was at a complete loss as he scanned the clearing and strained to hear the strange presence. He needed to put Kagome down and draw Tetsusaiga but his instincts were screaming at him to protect her. The last time he had left her to her own defenses, she had ended up with an arrow in her gut and Naraku in her mind. There was no telling what might happen to her if he released her now.
 
“Sango!” The taiji-ya heard Shippou's cry a moment before she felt something brush past her. Swinging her powerful weapon in a deadly arc, she shouted in surprise when Hiraikotsu was ripped from her grasp and something powerful struck her right shoulder. Tucking herself into a loose ball, she managed to lessen the impact of her body with the ground but her shoulder throbbed with pain and her right arm was useless.
 
Inuyasha barely had time to think before Kagome was ripped from him. Snarling with rage, he leapt to his feet and immediately tried to pull her back. To his horror, whatever had the miko in its grasp suddenly flung her to the side as carelessly as a bag of trash. Thinking quickly, Miroku scrambled forward and tried to catch the airborne woman but as Kagome collided with his chest, the force of the impact sent the two to the ground in a tumbling heap.
 
“Bastard!!” Inuyasha roared in fury as he brought his katana down in a powerful swing. “Kaze no Kizu!!
 
Kirara managed to pull Sango from harm's way as Byakuya leapt away and the attack destroyed the forest vegetation where they had just been standing. Before the first attack had even dissipated, Inuyasha had turned and released another blast in different direction, seemingly indifferent to the other's safety.
 
“Inuyasha-sama!” Myouga whimpered as he clung to the hanyou's wildly billowing hair. “I don't think this is a productive way to fight!”
 
Fuming, Inuyasha furiously tried to locate the invisible youkai. “Then what do you suggest!?” he shouted. “I can't hear it, smell it or sense it! So I'm hoping with a little luck -!” Something struck him savagely from behind and sent the hanyou sprawling into the dirt.
 
“I think I can help!” Shippou suddenly cried as he leapt from the ground and seemingly suspended himself in mid-air.
 
“Go Shippou!” Sango cheered as she clutched her useless shoulder. “We have to figure out a way to make him visible!!”
 
Inuyasha growled and rose to his feet with Tetsusaiga clutched tightly in his claws. “Hold him, Shippou!” he shouted, lifting his katana. “I just need to know where he is!”
 
“You can't!” Miroku cried as he stood with Kagome in his arms. “If you let loose Kaze no Kizu, you risk destroying Shippou as well!'
 
The thought stayed the hanyou's hand and he frowned in agreement. “How else are we going to be able to find him!?” Inuyasha asked. He didn't want to hurt the kit, but they couldn't fight what they could see and with Kagome already incapacitated, they were at a terrible disadvantage.
 
“I've got it!” Shippou cried in joy. His celebration was cut short as something gripped his throat. Choking, the kitsune kicked and tried to the bite the unseen arm that held his neck in a tight vise. He barely realized that he was airborne before he slammed into the ground and rolled to a stop, unconscious.
 
“Damn it!” Inuyasha growled. Flaring his nostrils, he suddenly whipped his head around to the side. He could smell it: Kagome's irritating floral perfume! She wore that suffocating fragrance whenever she was angry with him and it never ceased to make his sinuses burn and his eyes water. His face melted into a triumphant grin. The brat had finally done something smart! Shippou must have sprayed the invisible youkai with Kagome's perfume when he had been attached to it.
 
“Inuyasha!” Sango cried out but fell silent as he shook his head.
 
Concentrating, he could detect the floral odor moving slowly around him. Closing his eyes, he pictured the youkai in his head, using his olfactory senses. Just as he sensed the youkai rushing him from behind, Inuyasha turned and pushed Tetsusaiga forward in a powerful thrust. His eyes widened as crimson blood spilled over his blade and dripped to the forest floor moments before a large, misshapen oni appeared before them. Grunting the oni yanked Tetsusaiga from its gut before releasing a soft cry and crumpling to the ground.
 
“I believe you'll find the Shikon fragment in his hand, Inuyasha.” Byakuya folded his arms and leaned casually against the tree trunk once more.
 
Sheathing Tetsusaiga, Inuyasha knelt and extracted the shard from the oni's tight grasp. Once removed, the oni's body began to swiftly crumble away. Clutching the shard in his fist, Inuyasha stood and regarded the strange youkai with suspicion.
 
“Naraku has blended his conscious with Kagome's in order to peer into her heart and find a weakness that will destroy her,” Byakuya began softly. “He is creating a world in her mind where she feels comfortable. A world she believes is real.”
 
“Why are you telling us this now?” Sango questioned as she lifted Shippou's limp form with her good arm.
 
Byakuya shrugged and continued, “I cannot tell you how to defeat him because I do not know. All I do know is that if you go after Naraku, he will destroy Kagome from within her mind so you must fight him on a level playing field.” A flash of light blinded the group momentarily and when it dimmed, they blinked at the large paper crane that had appeared in its wake. “Naraku hopes to gain the final shard of the Shikon no Tama by tricking Kagome into giving it to him. Now, even if he succeeds, you also possess a shard and he will not be able to gain its full power.”
 
“Why are you helping us?” Inuyasha asked gruffly, moving his free hand to Tetsusaiga's hilt.
 
Climbing onto his crane, Byakuya gave another small shrug and took to the skies. “I suppose,” he called down to the confused companions, “that when you cage an animal, all it truly desires is to be free.”
 
* * *
 
Naraku sneered as he regained consciousness and shook the last of the magic from his stiff frame. Creating this alternate reality within the miko's mind was quite taxing on his body and jyaki. But it would all be worth it when he held the completed Shikon no Tama in one hand and Kagome's lifeless body in the other. Should he dismember her before sending her back to her friends? The possibilities were endless and it would bring him immense pleasure in torturing the worthless hanyou in an infinite number of ways.
 
He couldn't deny, however, that he was enjoying himself with Kagome as well. The more he delved into her mind and thoughts, the more he became intrigued with her era. Humans had advanced in ways that he could only dream about, having discovered a wealth of knowledge about countless subjects and even the complexities of their own frail bodies. He was already a master of manipulation but with the miko's knowledge of the human psyche, he could wreak unimaginable damage on her fragile mind.
 
“My lord?”
 
Turning toward the voice, Naraku nodded curtly to the small void child.
 
“It is nearly completed, Kanna,” he responded. The jewel pulsed with dark energy as he saturated it with more of the mixture containing his and Kagome's blood. “Although she still fights me, her defenses are weakening. I can tell that even now, she is beginning to doubt her own convictions.”
 
“Her friends have discovered your role in her current state.” Kanna's voice remained as flat and emotionless as ever. “Byakuya had dispatched a youkai to distract them as you had requested but they were both defeated and now Inuyasha possesses a Shikon shard.”
 
“It doesn't matter,” Naraku shrugged, watching the orb in his palm swirl with renewed taint. “I only wanted to keep Inuyasha and the others unaware until I had a chance to destroy Kagome's concept of reality. I have succeeded in that task and now it won't be long before she gives up and the fragment in her heart will become mine.”
 
“You will not have the full jewel without Inuyasha's shard.”
 
“It doesn't matter,” Naraku repeated. “Once I deliver Kagome's dead body back to her friends, the hanyou will be so devastated that defeating him will be an easy task.”
 
Kanna nodded her understanding. “What is your next course of action?”
 
Chuckling, Naraku's face glowed eerily in the tainted light of the Shikon no Tama as he turned to grin at the mirror. Had Kanna been capable of emotions and feelings, she would have shuddered at the malevolent expression that shadowed his features.
 
“I think its time to give her what she desires most in this life.”
 
* * *
 
Kagome smiled softly as she slowly became aware of her surroundings. She was warm and at the moment, blessedly pain free. The birds were singing again and she could feel the sun's rays blanketing her like a warm cocoon. Furthermore, someone was alternately stroking her hair and cheek gently. The sensation of strong fingers against her slightly flushed skin sent delightful shivers down her spine.
 
“Inuyasha…” she whispered unwittingly. In her mind she could see his handsome face lifting into a heart-stopping grin. His smiles never failed to make her heart flutter and her knees go weak.
 
“I'm here.”
 
The unexpected response caused her eyes to snap open and she sucked in a sharp breath as pain lanced through her forehead like a lightening bolt. Whimpering softly, she blinked rapidly to disperse the hot tears that threatened to stream down her cheeks as she stared at her closest friend.
 
“Easy,” he whispered gently, brushing a damp tendril of hair from her face. “You are still badly injured.”
 
It hurt to move so she refrained from shaking her head in denial. She had hoped that when she saw him again, he would drop the act and tell her what the hell was going on. She had hoped that Inuyasha would remember the past as she remembered it. She had hoped… Her eyes shone with absolute misery as she stared up at the troubled doctor. “How did Naraku get to you?” she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.
 
A small frown creased his handsome face as he gently ran the back of his fingers down her discolored cheek. “Naraku is a good man - a good doctor. He's been trying to help you since you arrived here.”
 
“He's been our enemy since the beginning,” she whimpered softly. “How could you have forgotten that?”
 
To her shock, Inuyasha's eyes suddenly misted and he flushed as he turned his head away. Large tears rolled down her cheeks as she watched him struggle to regain his composure. She had only ever witnessed his tears on two separate occasions: when they had been terribly poisoned by Mukotsu of the Shichinin-tai and the day Kikyou had died. It stunned her to see him so emotional. It was so different from the Inuyasha she knew.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
“Kami,” he choked out, shaking his head slightly in embarrassment. “You know, it absolutely kills me to see you like this!”
 
Her breath caught in her throat as he turned pleading eyes toward her. “Inuyasha, I -”
 
“I wish that you would let us help you,” he sighed dejectedly. “It hurts me that you continue to escape behind this fantasy of yours.”
 
Groaning softly, Kagome closed her eyes. This was too much. Everyday, every new revelation was just too much. She was questioning everything around her and her fragile heart could not take any more torment. She was actually beginning to think that perhaps she really was crazy! “I-I just c-cant…” she stammered and sucked in a shallow breath. “It just hurts too much to think right now. Maybe I can sort this out later?”
 
The bed squeaked quietly as Inuyasha shifted his position by her side. Opening her eyes, she was met with the sight of his smiling visage and a small syringe in his hand. “Perhaps this would help,” he murmured gently, slipping the needle in the crook of her arm.
 
Her mouth grew dry as the medication took affect and she smiled as the lights in the room grew brighter, surrounding Inuyasha in a halo of a heavenly glow. His own smile widened as she gazed lovingly up at him.
 
“What is it?” he asked softly, tracing her jaw with one finger.
 
“Your hair,” she whispered, “its silver.”
 
“Silly girl,” he crooned affectionately. “That's just the painkiller.”
 
“No,” she giggled softly. “You're a hanyou, Inuyasha. A handsome, rugged hanyou with beautiful silver hair and adorable ears. Can I touch your ears?”
 
Chuckling softly, Inuyasha pulled back his long black hair and leaned forward. “I don't know what is so adorable about them, but you can touch them if you'd like.”
 
“Not those ears,” she giggled again. “Your dog ears.”
 
Inuyasha sighed and his smile saddened as he straightened. “If I had dog ears, Higurashi-san, I'd let you touch them whenever you wanted.”
 
Kagome covered a yawn. Her thoughts were beginning to grow fuzzy and disjointed. “You don't like it when I touch your ears,” she muttered quietly. It seemed the drug lowered her inhibitions and loosened her tongue. “You are so much nicer than the Inuyasha I know.”
 
“I see,” the young man frowned, lifting a hand to cup her cheek gently. “Aren't I always nice to you?”
 
Snorting, Kagome managed to contain the outright laugh. “No,” she confessed, “but I guess I'm not the easiest person to get along with at times.”
 
Shifting slightly, Inuyasha retrieved a small cloth from a bowl beside Kagome's bed. Leaning toward her, he draped the cool, damp rag onto her forehead. “I find that hard to believe,” he replied with a husky tone. “I can't imagine ever being upset with you.”
 
Blushing, Kagome shrugged. “I always hated fighting with you. Whenever I needed to go home or whenever someone needed our help, you would always make me feel like a failure,” she said softly, swallowing hard. “You would get so angry. I hated saying that word, but I did it out of spite sometimes when you hurt my feelings.”
 
“It doesn't sound like this fantasy world of yours is a very nice place to be,” Inuyasha frowned once more. “Would you like to talk to me about it?”
 
Kagome immediately fell silent, watching through half-hooded eyes as Inuyasha gently patted the damp cloth on her face. She wanted to focus - to pay attention and be wary of what she said and did - but it was just too damn hard to concentrate. It was so much easier to let go and listen to the doctors. Giving them the power and responsibility was such a welcome relief.
 
“It's been so…hard…since Kikyou died,” Kagome finally said, releasing a flood of emotions that she had locked away in her broken heart. “You've closed up completely towards me and I -”
 
“Stop for just a moment,” Inuyasha interrupted, turning to the bowl to moisten the cloth. “When you tell me what has happened, try separating fantasy from reality. Don't talk to me like I'm hanyou Inuyasha.”
 
“But, you -”
 
“I think this will help you,” he stressed gently, pressing the cloth to her fevered cheek. “You wanted me to help you, right?”
 
Kagome nodded and was rewarded with a devastatingly handsome smile. She wanted to lose herself in that smile forever. She knew what she was feeling was wrong. Her heart whispered that this Inuyasha was a fake and that she needed to remain steady. However, her sharp mind - honed from hundreds of hours of study and school - saw the validation behind the doctors' declarations and the more they reasoned with her, the harder it was to hear that tiny voice in her heart.
 
“So after Kikyou died…” he began for her.
 
Swallowing past the lump in her throat, Kagome nodded once more. “I was left with the responsibility of keeping Kohaku-kun's fragment pure.”
 
“Sango's brother?”
 
“Yes.” Hot tears rolled down her cheeks as the familiar, crushing weight of failure settled over her chest. “But I let him down. I couldn't stop Naraku and he…he…” Unable to finish, she released a heart-wrenching sob and turned her head.
 
Immediately, she felt Inuyasha scoot closer and he gently cupped her jaw, tracing her damp cheek with the pad of his thumb. “It seems like a terrible burden for one so young to carry,” he murmured soothingly. “What about your friends?”
 
“Sango-chan was devastated by her loss. Miroku-sama, Kirara and Shippou-chan had their hands full with helping her cope,” Kagome replied shakily, leaning into his touch a bit. “You…him - Inuyasha was still tormented by Kikyou's death. He always preferred solitude when something was bothering him.”
 
“So they left you to deal with it alone?” Inuyasha sounded upset and Kagome opened her eyes in surprise at his bitter tone.
 
“Well, they all had their own -”
 
“That is ridiculous,” he interrupted once more, stroking her soft skin. “These make-believe friends of yours sound terribly selfish. Perhaps it is a blessing they are just a product of your imagination!”
 
“No!” she protested, shaking her head from his grasp. “They are real! And they aren't selfish! We all play a vital role in -”
 
“Then in this delusion, why were you the one that had to take in the fragment?” His eyes glittered with anger and concern.
 
Startled by his sudden change in demeanor, she edged away warily. “I'm the only one who could -”
 
“That's just it, Kagome!” Inuyasha's shoulders slumped as he turned away. “You seem to always be the only one! You're the only one who can see the fragments. You're the only one who can purify them. You're the only one who can `defeat' this evil enemy. Are you going to be the only one to die for this delusion as well!?”
 
Kagome ignored the flare of pain in her heart and closed her eyes. “You called me...`Kagome',” she whispered softly. “Just like he -” Her voice failed her as she felt Inuyasha's arms go around her and pull her into his broad chest. How long had she dreamed of being in his embrace? Without a reason or care, but simply for the sake of being held? Even though her heart tugged with remorse, she couldn't stop her arms from winding around his muscular frame.
 
“I care about you, Kagome,” he breathed into her hair, sending shivers of delight down her spine. “Since the first time I saw you, I knew that you were special.”
 
She didn't respond. She didn't trust herself to speak coherently so she settled for a deep sigh and snuggled closer to his musky warmth. Feeling his hold tighten slightly, she closed her eyes and relaxed. Here - now, it was so easy to pretend that this was what she wanted. In Inuyasha's arms, she felt her struggles cease and she gladly gave herself to his strength. She was so tired of being strong.
 
Inuyasha pulled away slightly to study her expression. Opening her eyes under his scrutiny, her breath caught in her throat at the look of adoration in his gaze. “Listen,” he said softly as he bent forward to place a small kiss upon her forehead. “I want to come see you tomorrow and there is something that I would like to show you.”
 
“Show me?” she asked, her apprehension rising slightly. “Show me what?”
 
Standing, Inuyasha squeezed her hands gently before placing them in her lap. “I want to talk to you a bit more about your delusions,” he replied with a smile. “And I want to show you something that I think will help you see the future and give up your fantasies of the past.”
 
Kagome relaxed into the mattress as she continued to hold his intense gaze. She could drown for the rest of her life in his eyes if only he would allow it. Oh, how she had longed for him to look at her like this!
 
“Is that all right with you?” he asked softly. The concern in his tone melted all her resolve and she nodded in response.
 
Flashing her one last grin, he left Kagome alone with her thoughts. Staring at the white wall to her left, she felt her eyes droop and she stifled a yawn. Tomorrow, she thought fuzzily as her eyes slipped closed. It'll all make sense tomorrow.
 
* * *
AN:Yes, I know, ANOTHER ONE! I have learned that I love to talk and I have accepted that about myself. :) This chapter was a whopper and the last one is even bigger! Oi... One day, I will learn the definition of the word "one-shot". lol. Much thanks to catbaker for being my beta, my muse and my very best friend. As ever, all grammar issues are entirely her fault... :) Also, thanks to wbaker for being such a great e-mom and Dee for being such a great pain in the a$$. Lol. Seriously, without you guys, there would be no clnv. Thanks again for reading and those of you who do review!
Disclaimer: Please refer to Part One of Sublimation. I do not own Inuyasha.