InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Swords of Fate ❯ A Severe Setback ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Eleven: A Severe Setback
Inuyasha plopped himself down next to his brother and scowled. “I think you're lying.” He stated, a pout coming to his mouth.
Sesshoumaru shrugged, and turned his gaze to Inuyasha. “What makes you think that?”
“You told me you were unaware of my mother's passing. Didn't you tell me that you didn't know I was alone at such a young age? Now you're affirming that you were there.”
“Your memory is muddled, Inuyasha. I knew your mother passed, I thought she would have lived longer, true, but if you must know, I figured that our last conversation would have been the last. I was hoping you would not remember my involvement with you in youth.”
Inuyasha squirmed uncomfortably. “Why would you lie to me?”
“I didn't lie Inuyasha, only held back some pertinent information.” Sesshoumaru sighed. “If you must know, you traveled with me for several years. However, you don't seem to have any recollection of any of it.”
Inuyasha frowned and pouted more. “Of course I don't. I don't think much about my past. I certainly don't remember you really being there. I do remember you being cold, and heartless as you are now.”
“Can we get off topic now?” Sesshoumaru looked over at Rin who had crawled over to Jaken and was now poking and prodding at him. “Rin, leave Jaken alone.”
Rin glanced up and nodded. “Yes Lord Sesshoumaru.” She sat back and grinned widely.
Sesshoumaru turned his eyes back to his brother, and frowned. “Inuyasha?”
“I hate you.” The hanyou whispered, getting to his feet and walking away.
Sesshoumaru was used to it. Shaking his head, he felt a small twinge of regret as he watched his little brother walk away sadly, and he grunted. Taking a deep breath, Sesshoumaru got to his feet and followed Inuyasha into the trees.
“Would it have made any difference if you had remembered my involvement with you as a pup?” He asked, sitting beside the hanyou, who brushed his eyes against his sleeves.
“Leave me alone!” Inuyasha snarled.
“Don't presume to tell me what to do, little brother.” The youkai narrowed his eyes.
Inuyasha snarled louder and turned to face his brother. “Still all talk? I don't want anything to do with you. Go away.”
It wasn't the fire in Inuyasha that caused him to be startled, but the tears and hurt that lingered in the golden eyes. Sesshoumaru shook his head sadly. “As you wish.” Standing, the youkai walked away and looked through the trees to the moon. It was better this way. Leaving his brother, allowing him to believe that he hated him and despised his blood. Wasn't it?
Looking down at his feet, which normally were a lot farther down then they were now, Sesshoumaru frowned. What he wanted was to be traveling again, without his brother and his company. Searching for Naraku, and living his life in peace. Not traveling as a pup helpless and weak.
Sighing, Sesshoumaru lifted his head feeling a hand on his shoulder. He glanced at the hand, and then up at the face of his brother's human girl. “What do you want?”
Kagome knelt beside him and pulled Sesshoumaru into her lap, hugging him. “Inuyasha will get over it. He's just hurt right now.” Apparently Kagome had overheard their conversation.
Sesshoumaru struggled in her arms, trying to wiggle away. “Let me go.”
Kagome hugged him tighter. “He really doesn't hate you, you know.”
The youkai stopped struggling, and glared at her. “It would be better if he did.”
Inuyasha's voice floated from out of the trees. “I do so hate him!”
“See?” Sesshoumaru snarled. “Now let me go.” Struggling once again, trying with all his might, the youkai was unable to worm his way out of the human's arms, and panting exhausted after several minutes, Sesshoumaru finally gave up, lying limp in Kagome's arms.
“So what do you think about Kagura telling us which area to avoid?”
“I don't know.” Sesshoumaru muttered. Instead he shifted and curled up into Kagome's lap and snuggled against her.
Kagome was stunned, and she stared down at the full youkai blinking.
Inuyasha made his appearance, and glared at his brother. “Leave Kagome alone.”
Sesshoumaru's muffled voice filled the air. “Tired.”
The hanyou stalked over and turned his glare to Kagome. “Get off her.”
“Oh, Inuyasha stop this.” Kagome rolled her eyes. “Want me to hug you too?”
Shaking his head rapidly, Inuyasha held up his hands and backed away. Golden eyes lifted and peered at Inuyasha. Smirking, Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and promptly went to sleep, quite comfortable at the moment to really care what was happening around him.
---------------------------------------------
Inuyasha pouted, his arms crossed over his chest, watching Kagome sleeping, hugging his brother as they both slept. Kagome's back was to the fire, and she had curled around Sesshoumaru protectively, and he was jealous. Everyone was asleep, and he sniffed in indifference. Turning his head away from them, a muttering snapped his head back.
Crawling over to them, Inuyasha peered down at Sesshoumaru, whose face was peaceful. Definitely something he wasn't used to seeing. His elder brother frowned and muttered something, and then a soft whimper escaped his lips. Inuyasha frowned, and shook his brother's shoulder. Golden eyes flickered open and rolled casually over to the hanyou.
Sesshoumaru rubbed his eyes, and sat up. “What?”
“You were whimpering.” Inuyasha sat back on his heels.
“I was not.” His brother stated.
“Were too.” Inuyasha whispered.
Sesshoumaru blinked. “Was I?”
Inuyasha smirked and nodded. Lying down on the ground, he curled up into a ball and promptly went to sleep, leaving Sesshoumaru confused, wondering what would have caused his strange behavior while sleeping.
-----------------------------------------------
The next morning was definitely not an exciting one for the group, as they began to move about the camp gathering their belongings to continue searching for the rift. Sesshoumaru had walked over to Rin and Jaken and ate with them. Sango, Shippo and Miroku packed up the bags, followed by Kilala, who mewed for attention. Kagome, packed up her backpack, and Inuyasha sat crouched growling watching them. He had not said a word all morning, and his whole demeanor had seemed to have changed.
Sesshoumaru frowned, looking at his brother, and he gasped when the golden eyes met. Unrecognition filled the hanyou's golden orbs and Sesshoumaru furrowed his brow curiously.
Crawling over to his brother, Sesshoumaru was half way there when he was met by a warning growl, telling him to stay back. “Inuyasha?” Sesshoumaru asked softly.
The hanyou blinked for a moment, and then he tilted his head to the side. Sesshoumaru realized that his little brother didn't recognize anyone, including himself. `Uhoh.' He thought.
“Uhh. Not good.” Sesshoumaru whispered. He knew he needed to do something, before Inuyasha took them as a threat and bolted off into the forest alone. Sitting back on his heels, Sesshoumaru curled his lip and barred his teeth, not backing down from his brother.
It was now a battle of who would hold eye contact the longest, and who would relent and go into submission. Sesshoumaru wondered how his little brother would react to this silent challenge, and he smirked, inching closer to Inuyasha.
Snarling softly, Inuyasha warily took a step back and then stopped, once Sesshoumaru sat nose to nose with him. The hanyou froze and glared at the golden eyes that were now inches from his, and both brothers growled low in their throats.
Kagome saw this and rolled her eyes. “Enough you two.”
They didn't move. Sesshoumaru lifted his hand and held it palm up to her and waved it away, not breaking eye contact.
Kagome and Sango glanced at one another and both girls frowned. “What is it?” Sango asked, walking over to them slowly.
Sesshoumaru growled louder, and lifted his hand again, firmly holding it up to stop her. “Don't. Stay back.”
“Huh?” Kagome and Sango both froze.
“He'll bolt. If you approach, he'll think of it as a threat.” Sesshoumaru explained, maintaining his eye contact with Inuyasha, whose hackles were up feeling threatened by the approach of others.
Kagome felt a chill enter her spine and she shivered. “What are you saying?” She asked.
“He doesn't recognize us.” Sesshoumaru snarled softly.
Inuyasha tilted his head as his brother spoke, and kept his eyes glued on Sesshoumaru's. When he had woken, he found himself in strange company. There was only one in the group who seemed familiar, and they were now nose to nose. Not really understanding why he was challenged in a stare down, the hanyou had complied. Now he was finding it harder to keep his eyes on the golden orbs of this other, who seemed so much like him.
Sesshoumaru saw something flash in his brother's eyes, and he smirked, when his brother finally relented and lowered his golden gaze. Inuyasha whimpered, and crouched low to the ground.
The older brother finally nodded. “I don't think he knows us. But he will follow me.”
Kagome glanced at Sesshoumaru. “Why is that?”
“I won the challenge. It was a battle of wits, to see who was the dominant one.” Grinning, he shrugged.
Sango shook her head. “This isn't good. Wasn't it Myoga, who said that if they resorted they would forget us?”
Sesshoumaru frowned, and glanced over his shoulder at his two companions. `How much longer do I have?' Glancing back at his brother, Sesshoumaru lowered himself to Inuyasha's height. “Inuyasha?”
Golden eyes rose to meet his, still blank. A soft voice whispered. “Who are you?” The hanyou glanced around him. “I'm scared.”
“It'll be alright.” Sesshoumaru whispered back. He felt his skin tingle at how his brother must be feeling, and he shook his head. “This isn't good. I thought we had a month.” Sesshoumaru growled accusingly.
Miroku stepped up. “I believe that because Inuyasha is only a half demon, that his will is weaker. Plus tonight is the night of the new moon. Perhaps that is part of it.”
`Hnn, knew he was weak.' Sesshoumaru thought silently. “Inuyasha?”
The hanyou lifted his head and retook his crouch. “Is that my name?” He asked innocently.
Sesshoumaru nodded. “Stand up.”
Inuyasha did just that, and stood slightly behind Sesshoumaru. “Who are you?” He whispered.
“I'm your older brother.” Sesshoumaru stated matter of factly.
Inuyasha gasped. “I have a brother? Why are we with them?” He asked, completely baffled.
“They're helping us stay alive.” Sesshoumaru shook off the urge to roll his eyes.
“Where are mother and father?” Inuyasha whispered, fear filling the air around him.
Sesshoumaru blinked, staring at Inuyasha hard. `Does he not remember anything?' Shaking his head, Sesshoumaru frowned. “You don't remember?”
Inuyasha shook his head frantically. “I don't even know you. But if you're my brother I should right? I'm really scared, what's your name? How'd we get here?”
This time Sesshoumaru was unable to stop himself from rolling his golden orbs skyward. He noticed Inuyasha take a step back, when Kagome inched forward, and Sesshoumaru snarled in warning. She stopped and worriedly looked at both brothers.
“Don't be afraid of them.” Sesshoumaru snarled at the hanyou. “They won't hurt you.”
Rin stood up and she hugged her arms. “Master Jaken?”
“What is it, you annoying girl?” Jaken asked in annoyance.
“Will Lord Sesshoumaru forget about us too?”
Sesshoumaru swallowed at the fear that filled the girls question and he peered at her. “I'm stronger then Inuyasha, Rin.”
Rin swallowed and nodded, but tears filled her eyes.
Inuyasha sniffed the air and peered over Sesshoumaru's shoulder staring at the little girl curiously. “Why is she crying?”
Sesshoumaru stepped away from Inuyasha, only to stumble when the hanyou stepped on his heels, trying desperately to stay behind him and extremely close. “Stop that.”
Inuyasha blinked and nodded, wrapping his arms about his frame, and shivering uncontrollably. He was scared. Sesshoumaru must have felt that he was about to bolt, when his so called brother walked back to him staring into his eyes. “I told you not to be afraid of them.”
Inuyasha nodded quickly, and his eyes darted around the camp nervously. They seemed nice enough to him and he swallowed. Their eyes were kind and he didn't smell evil on them. Maybe his brother was right. Lowering his arms, he tilted his head to the side.
Kagome slowly walked up to Inuyasha, like she would a startled dog, and knelt down beside him. He shrunk back slightly, and clenched his eyes tightly shut.
“Inuyasha? Do you remember my name?” Kagome asked.
One golden eye opened and then both peering at her. Inuyasha shook his head. Kagome sighed and nodded. “My name is Kagome.” She waved over to the others. “That's Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kilala.” She grinned kindly as his eyes took in faces and names. Nodding, he peered into her eyes again.
“Umm, what's my brother's name?” He whispered.
Kagome smiled gently. “Sesshoumaru. With him are Jaken, Rin and I'm not really sure of the two-headed dragon's name. I think little Rin calls it Ah `Uh.”
Inuyasha smiled nervously then. His golden orbs followed his brother as he walked up to the human girl and Inuyasha frowned when Sesshoumaru solidly struck the toad on the head. The hanyou's mouth dropped open in surprise and he blinked back to Kagome for answers.
Kagome giggled and shook her head. “I think your brother is fond of Rin. Jaken is kind of mean to her.”
Sesshoumaru glared at them. Turning back to Jaken who now squawked out apologies, the youkai glanced at Rin and shrugged his shoulders. “What? It slipped.” He stated and stalked away. Rin giggled behind her hand, and bent down to Jaken.
Miroku glanced around him, and nodded in satisfaction. “Well, should we be off?”
Inuyasha leaned back to look over Kagome's shoulder, and he stared at the monk. “Where are we going?” Inuyasha's eyes fell onto the swords by Kilala, who had been given the task of watching over them while everyone was sleeping, and Inuyasha moved around Kagome.
Curious as to where Inuyasha was headed, she gasped when he stopped at the swords looking down at them. His hand reached out to touch one, but before he could he snatched it back hissing with renewed fear. Jumping backwards away from the swords, he lifted his sleeve to his face, and glared over his arm.
Sesshoumaru smirked. “That's Tokijin, you fool. Only I can touch it.”
Inuyasha turned his fear filled eyes to his brother and lowered his arm.
Both brothers watched as Miroku stepped over to the swords and while he placed a piece of paper of the wildly humming sword Sesshoumaru carried. Wrapping it up, he placed it at his belt and smirked at Sesshoumaru.
Inuyasha stuck his tongue out at his brother, and crawled forward as Miroku then picked up the other two swords. “Whose are those?””
Miroku lifted Tenseiga and said. “This is his.” Holding up Tessaiga, he smiled. “This one is yours.”
Kagome huffed. “Great, Miroku, you shouldn't have told him that.”
Inuyasha's mouth fell open. “Why does he get two swords?”
Sesshoumaru smirked again. “Because I'm older.”
“You don't look older.” Inuyasha accused.
Snorting the youkai walked away. Inuyasha's eyes followed and he walked after him. “How much older are you?”
Sesshoumaru ignored him.
“Why are we here?” Inuyasha prodded on. “Why is that human carrying our swords? Do we have a home? Where are mother and father? How'd we get here?”
Sesshoumaru continued to ignore his brother as they walked, however the questions were starting to irritate him. “Will you shut up?” He snarled after an hour of walking and annoying questions that he had no intention of answering.
Inuyasha snapped his mouth shut and pouted. “Cranky.” He muttered, falling back a little. Something darted onto the path and Inuyasha stopped staring at the rabbit that jumped off the path as suddenly as it had come. Crouching low to the ground, and growling, Inuyasha pounced after it.
Sesshoumaru glanced behind him and shook his head. Kagome ran after Inuyasha calling out his name. Miroku and Sango stood on the path grinning at each other.
“What are you two smiling about?” Sesshoumaru asked. “This isn't something to be amused over. If we don't find that bloody rift soon, then we both shall be stuck like this.”
Sango nodded. “Do you think Inuyasha will be like this permanently?”
Sesshoumaru frowned uneasily. Whispering softly to himself, he lowered his gaze. “I hope not.”