InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It's not mine. It never was, so don't sue me. The only characters that are mine are Kaida, her family, and the other people who were made up especially for this particular story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teach ing Rin

Chapter 4

The next morning, Kaida was up early and on the bank of a small brook by the time the sun rose. It was her morning ritual when she was home. She would get up every morning and practice her sword techniques before the rest of the castle ever awoke. It was her own time when she could work out any pent up frustrations, and figure out problems that she was facing. It was more of a stress relief than anything, because she knew that she would be alone and isolated from the rest of the castle, completely alone with her thoughts and feelings.

She ran through a few katas in order to get her head cleared for the closing meetings that morning. It was the last day of the Lord's council meetings and she was overly anxious for it to end. Her father had designated her and a few more of the more elite soldiers to a task in the northern most part of the Southern territories, closer to the interior of Japan. It seemed as though some rogue demon and human thieves had decided to terrorize the trading routes leading into the interior of the island, and it was causing some major problems. As soon as the other three nobles left, she was off to clean up the trade routes and get rid of the bandits.

"I need a good fight to work off this excess energy before I slit someone's throat." she mumbled as she knelt down to pick up a set of scimitars that one of the trade dignitaries from the mountainous Mongolian territories had given to her in thanks for stopping a threat to his trading caravan during a routine patrol one day. The blades were razor sharp and gleaming in the birthing rays of a new day. The ornate handles were carved from what seemed like hunks of pure ivory. The graceful arc of the metal was seamless, and silvery. From each handle hung a black and green tassel, giving the twin swords a more ceremonial look. The blades were her favorite, and she took them with her everywhere she went.

Kaida resumed the mercurial movements of the kata, but this time with the twin blades gripped in her hands. It took only moments before her mind cleared and her thoughts focused solely on the precise movements needed to execute the kata, or risk cutting herself to shreds. Because she was so focused on her work, she never noticed the glowing amber eyes of a silent spectator across the bank who watched her movements.

Sesshomaru had been watching her since she touched down on the bank, assessing her fighting capabilities, and making his own conclusions about Rin's choice for a teacher. 'She moves like a cat.' he thought, as he watched the blades swirl and glint dangerously in the morning sunlight. 'Rin chose well, although I believe young Kaida will not be as pleased as Rin when she finds out.' The stoic taiyoukai stayed utterly motionless as Kaida finished the movements and wiped the newly forming beads of sweat from her forehead. He had watched all three of Ryu's daughters and come to his own personal conclusions about the three of them. Now that he actually thought about it, he was pretty sure that had Rin chosen one of the other demonesses, he would be in for a tiring time of dealing with the pestering women. Fortunately for him, Rin had chosen the sister who would be less of a personal pain for him, and the one who might actually keep him slightly entertained during her stay.

Kaida was indeed spirited, just like her father had said, and Sesshomaru wondered whether she was actually all that different from his ward after all. He was about to leave as silently as he had come when he felt another aura coming towards Kaida at a fast pace. It took no time to place the ki as that of Kiyoshi's, the younger son of Haruto, and from what he had heard, Kaida's intended mate. Apparently, Kaida had felt the oncoming energy force as well, for her body tensed up and her eyes shot towards the sky, searching for the obvious intruder.

Sesshomaru noticed that the woman pulled a dagger from her belt and slipped it under the sleeve of her haori. A faint click was heard and Sesshomaru frowned slightly. 'A holster.' he mused. 'Quite ingenious.' He also noticed the grip Kaida had on the twin scimitar blades had gotten tighter, and to the point where he could see the tan skin of her hands stretched so tight over her knuckles that they were turning white. 'Ryu said she despises the neko.' he thought. 'Let's see how true his story really is.' He watched as Kiyoshi landed near Kaida, and the demoness glared at the demon male that had intruded on her territory.

"What are you doing here?" Kiyoshi asked maliciously, taking in Kaida's sweaty form and the swords in her hands. "Haven't I told you to quit training?"

"And haven't I told you that I'm not your personal servant to order around?" Kaida asked calmly, dropping the blades at her feet.

"You are my mate, and will act as such." Kiyoshi said.

"Not yet, I'm not!" Kaida said venomously, turning away from the blonde haired cat. "And it'll do you well to remember that." Kiyoshi smirked and grabbed Kaida's arm, jerking her around to face him. Sesshomaru smirked as the hidden dagger was suddenly released, in Kaida's hand, and at Kiyoshi's throat before Kiyoshi even noticed anything amiss. "Let me go, Kiyoshi." she hissed.

"You can't fight me forever." he said acidly. "You will submit eventually. If not, your sisters will make a pleasing conquest."

"Keep talking." Kaida growled, pressing the blade further into the skin above his jugular vein. "And give me a reason to run this through you and rid our world of your disgusting presence. I beg you to give me one more reason." As Kaida pressed the sharpened blade into Kiyoshi's exposed throat, the cat finally wised up and let her go. "Smart choice. Although I have to admit that I wish your stupidity had held out a tad longer." The neko looked at the demoness in front of him critically.

"You can't hold out forever, you know." he said, a psycho grin on his face. "You have to quit running eventually."

"I'll run as long as I can to get away from you." she spat. "All you want is another female conquest to bed. Now leave me, and my sisters, alone." Kiyoshi only shook his head, as though she was a silly little child rambling on about something completely insignificant.

"As you wish, Lady Kaida." he said. Kaida watched until the neko disappeared from sight before sitting on the edge of the bank, her knees drawn up and her forehead resting on them. Sesshomaru watched for only a moment longer, until he too disappeared back through the shadow from whence he'd come, leaving Kaida on the bank of the brook. He had found out what he wanted to know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A Few Hours Later ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaida peeled off her sweaty clothes and left them in a heap on the floor behind the screen. Wrapping a towel around her, she walked out to the hot springs to bathe. She was already in a bad mood from dealing with Kiyoshi earlier that morning, but it only got worst when she found her sisters in the hot springs, apparently gossiping about someone. Kaida rolled her eyes in aggravation, but slid into the spring's warmed water anyway, glad to be rid of the sweat on her body.

She and her sisters never really got along. It had always been like that. They were full blooded demons, she was only part demon. They considered her inferior, and she let them think what they wanted. Kaida just tried to stay away from them and ignore their incessant talking and gossiping ever since she was old enough to realize that they did not particularly care for her.

"Sisters." Kaida said, nodding her head in acknowledgement to the two females across from her when she got into the warming waters.

"Well, if it isn't little soldier girl." Leiko sneered. "Finally decided to get the grime off of your filthy hands, I see." Kaida's temper boiled, but she refrained from lashing out at her older half-sibling.

'I to think I defended these two against Kiyoshi this morning.' she thought.

"I figured it would be inappropriate for me to show up to the council meetings full of sweat." Kaida answered flippantly as she washed herself down. "So yes, a bath would be beneficial."

"You being at the meeting is inappropriate to begin with." Kei answered snidely. "As such, it does not matter what state you are in."

"You don't see us at any of those stupid meetings, do you?" Leiko asked. "They are for the men to decide, not us. It's their position to protect and take care of us. Not the other way around. You have no business there."

"Leiko's right." Kei answered. "There is no point in us being there."

"Say what you will, sisters." Kaida answered. "I will do what I see fit, as long as father agrees with it. Have you found out which of you will be assisting Sesshomaru with his ward, yet?"

"Not yet." Kei answered sullenly. "We should find out today, though." Kaida smiled at the hungry looks on her sister's faces.

"Well, happy hunting then." she said. 'Go ahead and try to snag Sesshomaru as a mate.' she thought with a mental laugh. 'I want to see you make obvious idiots out of yourselves.'

"Lady Kaida?" came a timid voice from the entrance of the springs. The women looked around and saw a raccoon demoness standing there.

"Yes?" Kaida asked.

"Your father wishes to see you immediately." she answered.

"I'll be right there." she answered. The servant nodded and left the room quietly.

"Wonder what he wants." Kaida mumbled. "I hope nothing is wrong."

"What did you do now, little sister?" Leiko asked, eyeing Kaida's reaction to the summons as she climbed out of the springs.

"I don't know." Kaida answered. "It's probably just orders about getting the roads cleared inland. I haven't told him which men I'm taking with me, and he probably wants to know." Another servant came forward with Kaida's clothing in her arms. The little badger demoness held open the inner robe as Kaida slipped into it. Before long, she was dressed in her normal dark green fire rat fur armor. One of the servants braided her waist length hair and secured it before handing Kaida her scimitars and belt dagger.

"Your father is awaiting you in his study, my Lady." the servant said, bowing to Kaida.

"Thank you." she answered, nodding her head to dismiss the servant. Kaida walked out of the springs and towards the staircase that would lead to her father's study room, thinking of which of the soldiers she would be taking with her on the trip inland.

~~~~~~~~~~Meanwhile…in the Eastern Gardens of the castle…~~~~~~~~

Rin walked around the vast maze of hedges and bushes, trying to clear her thoughts. They were going back to the Western Lands this evening, and she still had not heard whether Kaida had accepter her request to become her instructor. Ti was nerve racking for the young human girl, and she wanted it over and done with. As she rounded a corner that led back deeper into the gardens, and consequently to the entrance to the hedge maze she'd gotten lost in numerous times since arriving in the South, she heard Jaken's screechy voice calling her name. She turned around and retraced her steps to where the toad was standing.

"Yes, Jaken?" she asked. "You called for me?"

"My Lord wishes to see you." he said stuffily to her. "In lord Ryu's study. Come with me." Rin nodded and followed behind the toad. It was not long until they found themselves at the entrance to Ryu's study. But what surprised her the most was seeing Kaida coming up the other set of stairs as well.

"Kaida!" Rin smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, Rin." the demoness answered, a genuine smile on her face at the girl's exuberance. "I'm about to speak with my father. What brings you up here?"

"Lord Sesshomaru requested her presence in Lord Ryu's study." Jaken said imperiously, glaring at the other woman.

"That's odd." Kaida mumbled to herself. "What's going on that they want us both?"

"Well, no sense in keeping them waiting, is there?" Rin asked, knocking politely on the oak door. Kaida heard her father's deep voice tell them to enter. The elder demoness pushed open the oak door and allowed Rin to walk through first before following as well. The two young women walked into the office and bowed respectfully to the demon lords present.

"You both arrived at the same time, good." Ryu said, looking at his daughter and Rin. "This will save me from having to repeat myself." There was a small moment of silence as both Sesshomaru and Ryu took in the sight of their charges.

Looking at the surface, the two females were polar opposites. Kaida, in her dark green fire-rat patrol armor, had the twin scimitars attached to her sides, and another dagger in her belt. Ryu also knew that the boots she wore housed another set of throwing knives he had given her during the last harvesting season. Rin, on the other hand, wore a daisy yellow summer kimono that had lilac colored flowers embroided into the hems of the sleeves and the bottom. She was the picture of a perfect lady, whether she be human, demon, or a mixture of the two.

The two young women were completely opposite on the outside, but beneath the surface, their personalities matched almost as well as a mother's and daughter's. The two demon lords knew that despite their outward appearances, Kaida and Rin were more alike than they realized. Each of the women were caring, and sweet to a point, but could be vengeful when needed. Ryu had seen the bad side of Kaida come out during a fight more than once, and it was not something anyone would forget had they ever witnessed it. Rin, on the other hand, was not as violent, but could be deceitful when needed, as Sesshomaru had seen the scarce number of times the young girl was angered beyond normal. Their common human blood made them less coarse than their male guardians, even more so because of Rin's pure human blood. They were both fighters, and good at what they did. What one lacked, the other made up for. It was almost like they were one soul, just split in half somehow.

"Father?" Kaida asked, breaking the silence that had settled into the room. "Is something the matter?"

"Nothing is wrong, Kaida." the dragon demon answered. "However I do have some news for you."

"What is it, father?" she asked, thinking there had been another attack on the trade routes.

"Your assignment to go inland with the elites is disbanded. You are not going with them." Ryu said firmly, readying himself for a battle. Kaida blinked a few times in confusion, but nodded in acceptance. Her father had changed her orders before at the spur of the moment, so this was nothing new.

"Very well then." she answered calmly. "Then what is my new assignment?"

"You will be going back to the Western Lands with Lady Rin and Lord Sesshomaru." Ryu said, not quite meeting his daughter's hardening gaze.

"I don't understand, father." she questioned, glancing to Sesshomaru, then her father once again. "What good am I in the West?"

"As you know." Sesshomaru said calmly. "I've been searching for an instructor for Rin for a number of months now. You have been chosen." Kaida's anger spiked through the roof, hearing that she was being turned into a babysitter. The spike caused Sesshomaru to smirk and Ryu to take a deep breath. She looked over at Rin, who had a hopeful look on her face and managed to control her rising temper.

"How long will I be there?" she asked in a tightly constrained voice. "I will need to inform the troops of my absence and find a substitute for the new regiments of soldiers coming in."

"You will stay until I am satisfied with Rin's progress." Sesshomaru answered. "More than likely until she is presented at court." Kaida growled in annoyance, and Ryu shot her a glare.

"I see." she answered. "When will I be leaving?"

"This evening." Ryu answered. "Along with Sesshomaru and Lady Rin."

"But, the council meetings…." Kaida began, but was cut off by her father.

"You have been excused from the meetings in order to gather your things." Ryu answered. "Keiji will be filling in for you at my side, as well as Ryuichi, and Ryuji."

"I will expect you in the courtyard after this evening's final council meeting is concluded." Sesshomaru said, standing up and walking towards the door. "Come, Rin." Rin bowed to the two dragons and followed her guardian out of the door. Kaida said nothing until she was relatively sure that Sesshomaru was out of hearing range. Then she rounded on her father. Ryu though, was expecting the confrontation and sat down in the chair to wait out the proverbial storm.

"I'm Rin's teacher?" she asked, waiting for an explanation from her father.

"I'm afraid so." Ryu said.

"I thought Leiko and Kei were the options." she growled, pacing around the office. "Not me!"

"I never expected you to be the one they would choose, Kaida." he said placatingly. "That's why I never told you that you were an option. Your reputation as a soldier and general precedes you, and I did not think Sesshomaru would allow you to teach the girl. That's why I only told Leiko and Kei they were options in the choosing."

"So I'm just supposed to give up my life and go with Sesshomaru?" she asked. "What about my training?"

"You can train in the Western Lands." Ryu said. "Sesshomaru has assured me that he can accommodate your needs in that aspect."

"What about my rank and position?"

"They will be put on hold temporarily, until you get back." Ryu said. "Ryuji and Ryuichi will continue to train the new regiment of soldiers, and Keiji will oversee your battalion and the elites as acting General until you return."

"Do Keiji and my other brothers know of the changes, yet?" Kaida asked.

"Not yet." Ryu said. "I am going to be speaking with them next."

"Why was I chosen?" Kaida asked, sighing in frustration. "I'm not cut out to teach the girl what's right and wrong for court. I avoid court meetings as much as I can. You know that, father!"

"Leiko and Kei despise anyone with human blood. You know this, Kaida. Suffice to say that their initial meeting with Lady Rin did not go as well as planned. Rin feels more relaxed around you because of your ties to the human race." Ryu answered calmly.

"So, I'm loosing my rank and being forced to move to the West and become a damn teacher because I'm part human?" she said sarcastically. "Wonderful."

"Quit twisting my words, Kaida." Ryu growled, loosing his patience with his daughter.

"Well that's what you just said!" Kaida pointed out. Ryu took a calming breath and rubbed his temples. Kaida had inherited her mother Mina's instinctive will to fight, and it was giving him a headache.

"Kaida, whether you know it or not," he said a little more calmly. "This is a blessing in disguise."

"I don't see how." she said flippantly.

"Your appointment as Rin's tutor will force your union to Kiyoshi to be put on hold." he pointed out, pulling out the only option he had left to placate his daughter's rising temper. "As long as you are still in service to another noble under my consent, you can not be taken out until your task is completed. And considering that you have to start from scratch with Rin, this will put the union off for at least six to eight more months."

Kaida thought for a moment, then nodded. Her father made sense, and she had not realized that what he spoke was the truth. She knew that if she stayed in the South, her union with the neko would happen within a month or two. If she went with Sesshomaru and taught Rin, her freedom was guaranteed for at least six more months. 'Of course, that's freedom at the price of living with Sesshomaru.' she thought. She said nothing for a few moments, and Ryu knew that his trump card had worked, and that Kaida would not put up anymore of a fight because she did not want to join with Kiyoshi at any cost.

"Fine." she conceded. "You're not going to break your word to Sesshomaru, that much I know. I'll go." Ryu nodded. "How long have you been planning this?" she asked.

"Two days. Since Sesshomaru told me of Rin's choice." he answered truthfully. Kaida cocked an eyebrow to one side and looked surprised.

"So Rin was the one who decided her instructor?" Kaida asked.

"Yes." Ryu said. "He left it completely up to her."

"Figures." Kaida muttered. "Is that all, father.?"

"Yes, Kaida." he said. "I only have one request of you."

"Yes?"

"Teaching Rin will be difficult enough without ensuring Sesshomaru's wrath." he said. "Do me proud, Kaida, please. The girl has had no female guidance the majority of her life other than the servants around the castle. She's more like you that you may realize, which is one reason why she chose you. That little human means as much to Sesshomaru as you do to me, so please….."

"I understand, father." Kaida answered, a small smile on her face. "I'll do my best. Just promise me that you will keep Leiko and Kei off of me when they find out. They were hoping to snag the position as Rin's tutor. They're going to be mad when they find out."

"I'll deal with your sisters, Kaida." Ryu answered. "Go gather some of your things and be ready this evening after the last meeting. I'll have some servants bring the rest of your stuff to the Western Lands tomorrow. Just set aside what you want to take."

"Yes, father." she said, bowing. "Anything else?"

"No, that's it, Kaida." he answered. "You're dismissed." Kaida nodded and left her father's study. She got to her personal chambers without anyone the wiser and began to go through her belongings.

She opened a bag and placed some of her training gear into it, as well as a few of her more simplistic kimonos she had, along with the stockings and sandals. After tying the bag, she went over to her wall were her weapons were mounted, trying to figure what she was going to take. She immediately grabbed a set of black, silk fans that were tipped with hidden razors and a set of daggers given to her by her mother Mina before she'd died. Keiji had the matching set, and Kaida knew that they would come in handy during her training.

"I already have the scimitars on me." she reasoned. "I'll just put the rest of this stuff in a pile to be sent to the Western Lands." She continued to place things in the small pile she had made until she was sure she'd gathered what she needed to survive in the West for a few months. A small knock on her door alerted her to a visitor.

"Who is it?" she called out.

"Let us in, Kaida." Keiji called sullenly. Kaida walked to the screen and pulled it back, only to reveal Keiji and her two older half brothers, Ryuji and Ryuichi. All three of them had aggravated looks on their faces.

"Just talked to father, I'm assuming." she said.

"Yes." Keiji said as Kaida let them in. "Please tell me this is some sort of dream."

"Afraid not." Kaida said. "Nightmare would be more appropriate."

"Why you though?" Ryuichi asked, leaning up against the wall.

"Apparently Leiko and Kei scared Rin the day they met her." Kaida growled. "So I was the next best thing."

"What do you have to teach the girl?" Ryuji asked. "She seemed well enough behaved to me."

"Remember the etiquette lessons you were forced to sit through?" she asked. "Same thing, only about twice as bad because: One, she's completely human. Two: it's twice as bad for a female. And three: I have to start from the ground and work my way up."

"You have to teach her the dancing and everything?" Keiji asked with a small grin on his face when he remembered that his sister hated having to dance..

"Yes. Everything." Kaida growled, noticing the smug look on her twin's face. "Wipe that smirk off your face, Keiji!"

"How long?" Ryuichi asked, breaking up a fight between the twins before it got started.

"Anywhere from six to eight months." Kaida said. "Possibly longer."

"Well, I don't know about these two." Ryuji said, pointing to the other two males in the room. "But I'm glad they picked you. Now Kiyoshi can't get his paws in you for at least that long."

"I agree." Keiji said. "If you are in the West, you're under Sesshomaru's protection. Those damned cats won't dare to do anything to get to you there."

"I don't need that dog's help!" Kaida fumed, glaring at her twin.

"We know you don't." Ryuichi said, placing his hand on his sister's

shoulder. "It just makes us feel better knowing that Sesshomaru will keep his

word and keep you safe. You may be a good fighter, little sister, but anyone

can be overwhelmed, including you. And you know that if Kiyoshi gets

angry enough, he will come after you."

"As long as you aren't in the Northern Lands, I don't care where you

go." Keiji said.

"When are you leaving?" Ryuichi asked.

"This evening, after the last meeting." Kaida said. "And I still have to go

down to the barracks and tell my battalion what's going on."

"They are going to be quite amused when they hear this." Ryuji said,

standing up. "You are going to catch Hell from them."

"If they don't want to be running drills until I leave this evening,"

Kaida said. "They'll keep their mouth's shut." The group of siblings left the

room, only to come into contact with Rin on the way down to the bottom floor. The girl seemed overly nervous, and kept shuffling her feet.

"Is there something you need, Rin?" Kaida asked as she stepped down from

the staircase, flanked by her brothers on each side and behind her.

"I….umm….well….that is….." she stuttered, not looking at the demoness for

fear of seeing her anger.

"Go on." Kaida said to her brothers. "I'll be in the barracks in a few

minutes." The three males left and Kaida sat down on the stairs, waiting to find out

what Rin wanted to speak about. "What is it, Rin?"

"I just wanted to say that I'm very sorry for asking you away from your

duties here." she said in a rush. "I know you are angry now that you found

out…but…Leiko and Kei…they.." Kaida smiled and patted Rin's shoulder lightly.

"It's okay." she said. "Don't let it bother you."

"But you seemed so angry earlier." Rin said cautiously. "I thought you were mad at me." Kaida sighed and pulled Rin down to the steps to sit down.

"Rin, listen to me carefully, okay?" Kaida said. Rin nodded and waited for the berating she thought she was bound to receive. "Rin, I was angry when I found out earlier, there is no point in me denying that. But, after speaking with my father, I found that it would be beneficial for me to go with you. I know that it seemed like I was angry then, but now I'm not. Heck, your offer is actually helping me out in a very big way. So, no, I'm not angry at you for choosing me. Quite honored actually."

"So you're not angry with me?" Rin asked hopefully.

"No, I'm not." Kaida answered, a reassuring smile on her face. "You've got nothing to be concerned about, Rin. I admit that I'm not exactly cut out to be a teacher, at least to a young lady like yourself, but I'll do what I can to help you. I'm just warning you ahead of time that the only thing I'm used to teaching is sword techniques and battle tactics, and that's to a bunch of rambunctious soldiers. So, I'm sure you'll teach me just as much I'll try to teach you." Rin smiled and nodded, happy that the demoness was no longer angry about her position. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm afraid there are some things I need to finish before we leave this evening."

"Of course." Rin answered politely as the demoness stood and looked down at her. "Thank you, Kaida."

"Don't worry about it, Rin." Kaida answered. Rin smiled and took off back towards the other side of the castle to do only Kami knew what.

By the time Kaida had gotten to the barracks, told her soldiers, and been picked on by her men, it was afternoon. Kaida wanted to avoid her sisters as much as possible, considering that she knew they would be furious. Unfortunately, luck was not on her side, and Leiko and Kei tracked her down inside the barracks.

"Kaida!" Leiko growled. "We need to speak with you. NOW!" Kaida, who had been in the middle of throwing daggers at a practice dummy with a few of the elite battalion, sighed and retrieved the blades before coming out to meet her furious sisters, Keiji right beside her.

"What is it, sisters?' she asked, walking away from the door leading to the barracks.

"How could you do this?" Leiko questioned accusingly. "One of us was supposed to be chosen. Not you, you half breed bitch!"

"You're a soldier, not fit to be anywhere near Lord Sesshomaru!" Kei barked. Kaida just listened as her sisters fumed for another ten minutes about the injustice of her being chosen over them.

"Are you two harpies finished yet?" she asked coldly. They glared at her in response. "Now get this straight. I was just as angry when I found out. I didn't even know I was an option."

"Why you?"

"Because when Rin was introduced to you two, you were more concerned with plots to get into her guardian's pants than helping her learn anything." Kaida said pointedly. "Guess you could say your first impression was not very pleasant."

"That little human wench!" Leiko growled. "She's ruining our plans!"

"Tell father that you refuse to go." Kei demanded of her. Kaida shrugged and leaned up against a nearby wall.

"Do you honestly think I didn't do just that when he told me that I was leaving?" she asked the two women. "It didn't work. I'm going whether your or I like it."

"We must speak to Sesshomaru." Leiko said quickly. "Surely he knows that you, of all people, are not fit to teach his ward."

"Talk all you want." Kaida said. "But father's mind is made up." The two nobles huffed and left the barracks to track down the reclusive Western Lord, as well as their own father. Meanwhile, Kaida said her farewells to the soldiers and headed for her room to gather some of her belongings that would tide her over until the Eastern servants got to bring her stuff into the West. By the time she had a small bundle ready, it was nearly time for the last evening council to end. She made her way down to the court to wait.

Rin was waiting for her guardian as well, and caught sight of Kaida as she descended the steps into the open space.

"Kaida." Rin said, bowing to her. "Are you ready to go?"

"Ready as I'll ever get, I'm afraid." Kaida said with a grin. "I've packed enough to hold me over for a few days until my belongings are brought."

"Light packer, aren't you?" Rin questioned, eyeing the bundle in the demoness' hands.

"Yes, I am." Kaida answered, sitting on the side of a small koi pond. The two women continued to talk until they saw their lords entering the courtyard.

"Are you sure you can't stay for dinner, Sesshomaru?" Ryu asked.

"No. I must return to my lands quickly." Sesshomaru said. "I have business to attend elsewhere."

"Very well then." Ryu said as they walked to where Kaida and Rin were. "Ready to return home, Lady Rin?"

"Yes, my lord." Rin answered. "Your home is beautiful, but my heart is in the West."

"I understand fully, my Lady." Ryu answered with a smile. He turned to Kaida, a small smile on his face. "You're things will be brought to you tomorrow, Kaida."

"Thank you, father." she answered, hugging the demon lord.

"Take care, Kaida." he said, watching as the fumbling Jaken stumbled up to them with an unhappy Ah-Uh behind him. The two headed dragon growled and tossed his head as Jaken tugged on the leather reigns once more.

"Are we ready?" Sesshomaru asked, eyeing the two women.

"Yes. I believe so, my lord." Rin said happily as Sesshomaru picked her up and set her gently on Ah-Uh's back.

"Lady Kaida?" he asked, looking to the female noble.

"Whenever you are ready." she answered, strapping her bundle behind Rin and going to loosening the bridles holding Ah-Uh's mouth, which had been the cause of the twin dragon's stubbornness. Jaken scrambled up to sit behind Rin. Sesshomaru nodded in Ryu's direction, and gather his youki at his feet, forming the ever present whit cloud.

"Goodbye." he said to Ryu, taking to the sky. Ah-Uh was right behind his master.

"My Lord?" Rin questioned. "What of Kaida? How will she keep up?"

"I'm fine, Rin." she stated. "Watch." Rin watched as Kaida put two fingers to her lips and whistled a shrill sound. There was a rumble heard and the shadow of a full grown dragon blocked out the sun's rays, causing a shadow to coat the courtyard. The mighty beast landed as close to it's mistress as possible and Kaida climbed on the back of the beast, securing the reigns in her hands.

"Neat." Rin said. Kaida only smiled as the dragon's wings brought her up and level with the hovering Ah-Uh.

"Let's go. If you are quite done." Sesshomaru barked, hiding his own surprise with his usual gruff nature. Kaida only nodded and signaled her stead to back away from Ah-Uh. The dragon beat its powerful wings and followed Ah-Uh farther into the cloud cover. Kaida looked down at the ground and waved solemnly to her father, who still stood in the courtyard, not knowing exactly what the West held for her. And now wondering how long it would be before she returned to her home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- Okay, hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. Like I said before, I've never wrote Sesshy's character. So if he is out of character, I apologize extensively.

P.s. Remember to leave a review. It helps when I get some kind of feedback on the stories I write.