InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It's not mine. Never was. The only characters I own are the ones that have never before been seen or heard from the Inuyasha manga and anime.

A/N - Well, I really don't have much to say. I do plan on finishing this story, I just don't know how long it is going to take me. My gumption to get this story done has pretty much dried up, and I hate to say that. But I will continue to update. I just don't know when. Sorry.

But I do have to thank Discordangel for kicking me in my rear and telling me to put out the next chapter. Cheers to you! And thanks for the advice; it did help a little! :)

------------

Teaching Rin

Chapter 8

Big Trouble, Big Time

-----------

"What news do you bring?" Sesshomaru asked, regarding the kitsune across from him with a slightly bored expression.

"It would seem as though you have stirred up a bed of hornets, Sesshomaru." Ronin said, sitting up and facing the dog demon. "Haruto is out for blood, and has his sights set on the Western Lands, and the two ladies currently living in your home."

"What does that scraving neko want with Rin?" he asked, his interest piqued, even though he would not allow the kitsune to see.

"It would seem as though Haruto has it in his head to make an offer for the young woman." he said. "And he is apparently willing to start a civil war if not only Lady Rin is not handed over, but Kaida as well."

"I have no say over that woman." Sesshomaru said. "She is a noble in service to me strictly for Rin's education. I take it Haruto did not take it well when he found out that Ryu sent her here?"

"According to Hoshi, he was raging for two days afterwards." Ronin said with a frown. "He is beyond angry."

"And he is willing to try and invade my homelands just to get to them?" Sesshomaru asked. "He will not succeed."

"I know that." Ronin said. "And normally I would agree. But his army has increased greatly during the past year." Sesshomaru quirked an eyebrow and settled down to hear what had the normally calm kitsune in such a harried state. Apparently, there was more to this than what he had previously thought when he had received the Eastern Lord's letter.

------------

"So, what’s going on up there?" Kaida asked, nodding towards the north as she and Hoshi walked around the courtyard.

"Kentaro and I just got back from border patrols a few days ago, and Haruto has a large portion of his army mobilized and on standby."

"Why?" Kaida asked, shaking her head. "Is he expecting to be invaded? And by who? There hasn't been a civil war in this country for nearly four centuries, at least not between the ruling demon families."

"No, he's not expecting to be invaded." Hoshi said grimly. "He's about to do the invading."

"I don't understand."

"Haruto and Kiyoshi seem to have taken it as a personal offense against their person when your father sent you here with Sesshomaru to teach Lady Rin." Hoshi said. "That is going to cause your union with Kiyoshi to be put off, and Haruto is none to happy about it."

"I can understand that." Kaida said. "But what does this have to do with Rin? You said it concerned the both of us."

"Haruto has taken a liking to the young girl, or so the rumors say." Hoshi said, folding his arms across his chest. "Apparently, he intends on trying to pair her up with one of his illegitimate sons, just to keep her around. I heard from one of Lady Koto's maids that Haruto intends to take Rin as a mistress if he can some how manage to get her into the Northern Lands."

"Has that cat coughed up too many furballs?" Kaida asked rhetorically. "Sesshomaru is not going to consent to Rin going to the North, no matter who vies for her attention."

"Yes, but if she takes a liking to Haruto's brat...."

"The cat will never make it past the courtyard gates." Kaida said. "Sesshomaru will kill him, just to make an example of anyone who tries to win Rin's favor. The girl may be human, but he cares about her to much to see her mated off to some demon like Haruto, or anyone in his family for that matter."

"Well, does he want to see her mated, or not?" Hoshi asked. "She'll be by his side until she dies if he threatens all the suitors that come calling."

"They're going to have to pass his inspection first. And if they happen to survive that, then they have to get Rin to like them." Kaida said. "They've got their work cut out for them, either way."

"I don't doubt it." Hoshi agreed.

"So, Haruto is mobilizing his arms because he intends to challenge half of Japan just to get to Rin and me?" Kaida surmised. "That doesn't make any sense."

"Well, that's what we found out." Hoshi said. "And according to what Kentaro found out, Koto is none to happy with her mate's new found affection for Lady Rin."

"I would doubt she would be." Kaida answered dryly. "Although I would have thought she would be used to dealing with her mate's infidelity by now. Last I heard, Haruto still keeps consorts in the Northern palace."

"He does." Hoshi said. "He's the only taiyoukai that still does as far as I know."

"Well, father doesn't." Kaida said proudly, a grin on her face. "He always said no palace is big enough for two women to try and run it at the same time."

"Neither does mine." Hoshi said, a small grin on his face. "Mother would skin him alive if he did."

"And Sesshomaru does not, at least not as far as I know." she said. "In fact, I think I am the only other female around this place with the exception of Rin and the headwoman Keisha." Kaida shrugged and took a deep breath. "Do you have any idea who Haruto intends on invading? Is he going after Sesshomaru or my father?"

"I don't know." Hoshi said, shaking his head. "I've heard theories of both, in fact. One tentative plan was for his army to march along the border lines and invade the Southern Lands first, then try to take the West. But, I also heard that he was going to take out the West first, then head south. Either way, he's asking for trouble."

"What's the estimated strength of his armies?"

"In excess of one hundred and fifty thousand." Hoshi grimaced. "With over a sixth of them trained as elites."

"What?!" Kaida asked, totally floored by the number. "Where did he get all of those men? The last I heard, his armaments barely totaled sixty thousand all together. How did it jump up that much in less than a year and a half?"

"It's because nearly half of those forty thousand or so additions are all women, both demon and human." Hoshi said, shaking his head. "The rest were slaves or refugees from the mainland that he bought, traded, or stole."

"I don't believe this." Kaida said, shaking her head. "Why all this trouble just for two women? I'm not that important. For Rin, I can see someone making this many problems, but me? I don't understand it."

"Well, Haruto's got his mind set. And nothing is going to change it." Hoshi said. "That much is a fact. We just don't know when he is going to make his move, or where he is going to make it."

Kaida shook her head once again and looked over towards the stables where Kentaro and Rin had headed. She had known Kiyoshi would have a fit when he found out she'd been sent to the Western Lands, but she had never expected Rin to be caught up in the fold. Haruto was willing to start a civil war from what she'd just been told, and it just didn't make any sense to her.

She resolved to send her father a letter as soon as possible to inform him of the new occurrences, even though Ronin had probably already sent word. Kaida knew her father kept a number of useful spies in the North, and she had no doubt that they would have reported back by now. But it would not hurt to send word anyhow. She glanced up to the Western palace and silently cursed her fortune of getting the Western Lands tied up the struggle between the North and South. This would end in trouble, and she had no doubt that it would wind up encompassing the entire island of Japan before it was over with.

---------------

Rin and Kentaro were walking along the outer wall of the palatial grounds, talking and just trying to find a way to occupy their time. They had peeked in on Kaida and Hoshi, and found the two elders speaking in hushed tones, with serious expressions on their faces. Rin had quickly become suspicious, but the young kitsune at her side, recognizing his elder brother's clenched jaw and narrowed eyes, immediately found a quick distraction for the young Lady at his own side. Using his innate demonic ability to control the surrounding plants, he caused some of the vines above their heads to begin dancing wildly.

Although the ruse had sufficiently gotten Rin's mind off of what was being said between the two nobles, Kentaro had no doubts that she would grill Kaida for the details just as soon as the two of them were alone. Now, considering that had been nearly an hour and a half ago, Kentaro was running out of ways to keep Rin away from her instructor and his older sibling in case they were still discussing the possibility of what could happen should Kiyoshi and Haruto decide to start a civil war.

"Do you think the puzzle we put together has stayed in the water long enough?" Rin asked, tearing her attention away from a pair of blooming roses that Kentaro had manipulated into weaving in and out of itself until it formed an archway overhead of the main gates.

"It should be." Kentaro said, kicking a stone out of the way as they walked down the pathway. "Wood usually expands quickly. And since the pieces were rather small, I don't think it should take long." He grinned at Rin and winked. "Let's go see, shall we, my Lady."

Rin couldn't help the smile that came across her face at the grin on the kitsune's face. He kept her in such a good mood when she was around him. And it made her wonder whether he always acted like this, or if it was just a special attempt to keep her distracted. She kept drawing comparisons between Kentaro and Shippou, her other friend who happened to be a kitsune.

Shippou was definitely a kick to be around, especially when he was trying to annoy Inuyasha to no end. But there were a few qualities that both Hoshi and Kentaro had exhibited that had made her think that their flirtatious manner was something common to all demons of the fox race. It seemed as though he would never take anything seriously, but Rin noticed the underlying tension in his manners that made her wonder exactly how serious the news they had brought was.

The seriousness on Kaida's face had not went unobserved by her either when they had checked on her and Hoshi the hour before. But Rin had quickly realized that she would get no answers out of the fox beside her, despite her constant badgering and questioning, and she doubted that she would be able to pull them out of Sesshomaru. So, Kaida was her only other option if she wanted to find out what was going on.

As Rin and her escort walked back towards the stables, one of the guards near the castle sent out the signal that a messenger was approaching.

"I wonder what it is this time." Rin said, stopping in her tracks and turning back towards the protective gate, intending on meeting the messenger. "No trouble I hope. Perhaps it is a letter for Kaida from her family."

"I am not so sure of that, my Lady." Kentaro said as the wearied messenger wearing the colors of the Western Lands guard doubled over in an attempt to catch his breath. Rin quickly walked over to the man, only to be intercepted by the head guard Sakaki.

"What is going on here?" Rin demanded, noticing the bloody streaks on the messengers clothing and body. "What happened?"

"I was ordered......by head General Mashika to deliver... this to our Lord Sesshomaru." the messenger breathed heavily, giving Rin a scathing look that caused Kentaro to growl in warning and step forward.

"I do believe Lady Rin asked you a question, soldier." Sakaki said, frowning at the disrespect in the messenger's voice. "Answer her."

"I am under strict orders....to only deliver this to....Lord Sesshomaru." he said, trying to regain his composure.

"Lord Sesshomaru is currently in a meeting with the Lord of the Eastern Lands." Kentaro said firmly.

"I will deliver the letter to my Lord." Rin said, asserting her given control just as Kaida had instructed her to do when dealing with impertinent underlings. "And I will tell him of the urgency of the enclosed information."

"But....General Mashika ordered me to give it only to a member of the royal household." the messenger said.

"I do believe my position in the Western Court fulfills your general's needs, thank you." Rin said, holding out her hand. Still, the messenger was reluctant to hand over the sealed parchment, but he eventually handed it over to her. "Thank you." Rin said curtly, noticing the glare on the demon's face. "Now, if you would care to rest for a while, I will have someone bring you food and drink."

"Fine." the messenger said. Rin only frowned and motioned towards the palace entrance.

"Very well. Please, come with me." She led the messenger to the entrance after Sakaki had went back to his post at the gate. Once inside, Rin brought the wearied messenger to the kitchens, and asked Keisha to serve him while she brought the letter to Sesshomaru.

Kentaro had told her on the way up that whatever information the letter contained must be quite important if the messenger had direct orders from the head General.

"I figured as much." Rin said with a frown. "That messenger was from the northern most territories of the Western Lands."

"How do you know that?" Kentaro asked. He hadn't recognized the colored pattern of bands on the soldier's uniform that told of which territory he had come from.

"Kaida made me memorize the pattern bands during one of my lessons." she said, shrugging. "I am surprised he even handed the letter over to me to begin with. So I really am concerned now."

"Why?"

"General Mashika and a few of his fellow soldiers do not think that I should be around Lord Sesshomaru." she said sadly. "Because I am human."

"I see." he answered, allowing Rin to take the lead in going towards the room where her guardian was. Before they reached the end of the small hallway though, Rin could hear the voices of the Eastern Lord and Sesshomaru.

'She is nothing but a nuisance.' Sesshomaru's voice said firmly. 'She wouldn't have stayed here this long, had it not been for certain circumstances. As far as I am concerned, Haruto could have her.'

Rin stopped in her tracks upon hearing the venom in her Lord's voice. She glanced over at Kentaro, and noticed that he had a worried expression on his face.

"We shouldn't be here, Lady." he said quickly, trying to usher her away from the hallway. He doubted the two taiyoukai's had missed their appearances, and he did not want to ensure his father's wrath.

"But...."

'You really should look past the fact of her humanity, Sesshomaru.' Kentaro said with a defeated air. 'I wouldn't dare hand her over to those nekos. Do you realize what they would do to her?'

Rin looked towards the door again and frowned. She did not like what she was hearing from the two taiyoukais.

"Who are they talking about, Kentaro?" she asked quietly. It was apparent to her that the conversation was more than likely about her, and she was hurt hearing her guardian speaking so callously about her.

'She is causing problems, and should be taken where she belongs.' Sesshomaru said. 'Humans are weak creatures. The sooner she finishes her instruction time, she will be sent away. She has disrupted my life enough as it is. As for who she is mated to, I could care less, as long as she is out of my way.'

Rin felt the paper she had been holding fall to the floor. Her heart was pounding in her chest, and she felt her blood run cold. Sesshomaru was talking about her as if she was nothing more than a piece of intrusional property he was trying to get rid of.

Beside her, Kentaro latched onto her arm and began dragging her towards the other end of the hallway. But Rin dug her heels into the floor, determined to find out what else her guardian had in mind for her.

'She is a valuable member of the court, Sesshomaru.' Kentaro said. 'Handing her over to Haruto and his twisted son would kill the Lady's spirit. Could you stand to see something like that destroyed simply because you are unwilling to allow her a chance?'

'I could care less about the girl.' he said. 'She is of no use to me beyond keeping up appearances and appeasing certain individuals. Besides, there is no guarantee that she even has the abilities to act accordingly during court. You've seen first hand how she acts. The girl is a hopeless case, Ronin. Admit it already.'

Rin shook her head as she felt the tears begin to drip down her face. She could not believe what she was hearing. She had thought that the years she had spent with the silent dog demon had softened his opinion of humans like herself. She knew that when Inuyasha had defeated Naraku with the help of the human taiyja, monk, and miko, Sesshomaru had been more than surprised despite his outward appearance to others.

She had grown to love the often silent dog demon as a father ever since he had resurrected her from the dead. She had always done as he had told her, and tried to stay out of the way. But it appeared that her attempts to stay in the shadows had been nothing but an intrusion nevertheless.

'Just because she is not one of us....' Ronin began.

'She never will be.' Sesshomaru cut off. 'And if sending her to Haruto and his brat will keep the trouble out of my lands, then I will do so.'

Rin quickly turned around and began running as fast as she could from the hallway, leaving Kentaro standing there by himself.

"This is not good." Kentaro mumbled, taking off after her to try and sort out what she had heard.

At the same time, Sesshomaru heard the sound of footsteps running away from the doorway, and smelt the saltiness of tears. He frowned and moved to the door, ignoring Ronin as he once again tried to talk him into keeping Kaida in the Western Lands and letting her finish teaching Rin.

"What is it, Sesshomaru?" Ronin asked a moment later.

"Rin has been here." the taiyoukai said quietly, walking out of the meeting room and bending to pick up the fallen letter. He immediately recognized the band pattern as that of his northern territories and frowned.

"She's upset." Ronin said, scenting the air. "She's crying. And my son is with her."

Sesshomaru said nothing, only unsealed the parchment and read over the scribbled note. Ronin felt the dog demon's aura expound considerably and caught the slight narrowing of his eyes as he folded the paper back and put it in his haoiri.

"Well, it would seem as though you were correct, Ronin." Sesshomaru said stoically.

"Excuse me?" the kitsune asked.

"Haruto's forces have began guerilla attacks along my soldiers positioned at the northern borders." he said calmly, as though the fact that Haruto was attempting to invade his homeland because of two women was an everyday occurrence.

"I told you." the kitsune said. "The cat has lost him mind. What are you going to do about this?"

"Had he asked for Kaida's release back to the South, I would have done so." he said stoically. "I knew of her impending joining, and Ryu's reluctance to allow it to go through. As such, when Rin chose her to be her instructor, I put up little resistance to the idea, more as a favor to Ryu than anything else. However, had I known this kind of trouble was in store, I would have never allowed her in my lands. She wasn't worth starting a civil war over."

"And now she is? You still plan on giving the girl back to her father?" Ronin asked, a grin on his face.

"No." Sesshomaru answered. "She is Rin's instructor first and foremost."

"Good." Ronin said. "So what are you going to do?"

"Kill Haruto." the dog demon said. "He has insulted me by invading my lands, and attacking my men without proper reason."

"Now that sounds like a plan to me." Ronin grinned. "I always said Saburo would be a much better Lord than his father."

"That remains to be seen. However, I'm glad you agree." Sesshomaru said calmly, a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Well then, I suppose my time here has expired." Ronin said, a sort of mischievous glint in his eyes. "I shall gather my sons and take my leave, Sesshomaru."

"I will see you out." the demon dog said. As they walked silently towards the courtyard, they were met by a perturbed looking Hoshi and a worried Kentaro.

"Something the matter?" Ronin asked, scanning the courtyard. "Where is Kaida?"

"She saw Lady Rin running towards the outside of the grounds and took off after her." Hoshi said, peering down at his younger brother. "Apparently something happened that upset the Lady greatly."

"Kentaro?" Ronin asked, pining his son with a glare that would make most demons quiver.

"I don't know." he said, although he was pretty sure that there had been a misunderstanding somewhere, and Rin had thought Sesshomaru was referring to her instead of Kaida during the conversation with his father. "She just got upset and ran. I didn't do anything, I swear!"

"I will settle this." Sesshomaru said firmly, motioning to a nearby servant to go get the horses that the kitsunes had rode in on. A few moments later, the stable hand returned with the mounts in tow. Ronin and his sons mounted up and said their goodbyes, quickly leaving for their own homelands. But one look at Kentaro's tightened face showed that he was more concerned with what state Rin was in, and would have preferred to stay around to see what was wrong.

As soon as the kitsunes were gone, Sesshomaru noticed the head guard Sakaki standing off to the side. He nodded in the direction of the guard and the inu-demon came forward, another sealed parchment in his claws.

"This came for you a few moments ago, my Lord." Sakaki said, bowing and handing the letter to Sesshomaru. The taiyoukai unsealed the note and quickly scanned over it, his face never moving, but his anger mounting more and more with each sentence he read.

Apparently the reason Haruto's forces had been able to get past the defensive lines was because a handful of his generals decided that Haruto had the right idea by taking both Rin and Kaida from the Western Lands, thereby cleansing the Western palace of their presence. The note went on to say that the majority of the army remaining up there had went against Mashika's orders and were currently fighting to get the nekos out of the Western Lands and back towards their side of the border.

It also said that there was a large battalion of Haruto's army going south via a water route to the border between Ryu and Sesshomaru's territories in order to secure a loosely guarded waterside port that could be used as a centralized area from which an attack to either the West or South could originate.

Sesshomaru dismissed his guard and quickly walked back up to the palace, his thought about Rin temporarily forgotten. It seemed as though he could possibly be attacked from both sides, and he did not like that at all. As he climbed the staircase to his study, he began sorting through the things he would have to prepare, and the messengers he would have to send out to notify his advisors of the new change in the status of the northern territories.

----------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

A/N - Okay, I know this chapter probably sucks. I'm sorry, but my creative juices are just starting to get going again for this story. I had given it up for good, at least for a while. But I'm really trying to get it going again. So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A.A.