InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was. The only things I own are Kaida, her family, other characters not originally in the Inuyasha manga or anime, and the plotline.

A/N - Here’s the rest of the chapter. Hope you all enjoy.

-

Teaching Rin

Chapter 19

A Side of Her Seldom Seen Pt. II

-

The Western Lord took to the skies after making sure that General Katsuji was well informed and up to date with the intelligence that had been passed on to him. He had been working along the Southwestern borderlands all day, and had found numerous signs of where soldiers had passed through the forests and streams. And he highly doubted they were his own soldiers that were leaving the overly conspicuous tracks.

The sun was beginning to set in the western skies as he bounded along the border in his full demon form. His great red eyes scanned the land below for anything out of place, or even a hint of unwanted intruding soldiers. His thoughts immediately turned to Rin, wondering what she was doing and how she was.

He had left the day before with barely a word to either Rin or Kaida, absolutely intent on checking the state of things along the boundaries. He’d been checking and rechecking with all his frontier generals and captains since the day before. He was beginning to feel the strain of staying up for nearly three days straight without a break, as he had not slept the night before the guard inspection either.

The great dog took a stance on a cliff that overlooked the borderlands to the Southern Lands, still preoccupied with what Rin was doing.

‘She is fine.’ he told himself. ‘She is well protected with her teacher. I need not be there to ensure that she will be securely taken care of should anything happen.’

Of course, this was the first time in nearly ten years that he had been without Rin’s company. Sure, he usually left her with Jaken and Ah-Uh if something came up that required is attention, but this was the first time she had been out of his domain without him. It unnerved him a bit, knowing that she was miles away, and not within reaching distance.

‘She will be fine.’ he berated himself. ‘Katsuji affirmed the kitsune’s words that the neko is not willing to risk his men in the south.’ he berated himself.

Sesshomaru continued to stare towards the direction where he knew the Southern palace to be. He knew that his unexpected early patrol visit would put all his soldiers on alert, and that his assistance would not be needed unless Haruto decided to invade with his entire army.

He had found out a few things he’d been wondering about, especially concerning the actual size of Haruto’s mobilized armies. They were not as numerous as originally reported, which was good news. And there had apparently been a sudden decrease in the amount of elite battalions from the previous years, but no one seemed to know why.

And it also seemed that many of his upper level officers were beginning to question their Lord’s actions. Rumors of insanity were circulating like wildfire and causing much dissention in the ranks of officers and soldiers alike, but Sesshomaru highly doubted the truth behind them.

‘Haruto may be psychotic, but he is far from insane.’ he thought grimly

He’d also heard that there was a plan for one of Haruto’s sons to overthrow him and take control of everything. The possibility of some sort of revolution in the Northern Lands was not unheard of. It was a well known fact that Haruto had seized control of the lands from his own father by force, as had he from his own father.

‘If they become preoccupied with their own problems then perhaps this will cause them to withdraw from some pathetic attempts at overthrowing the rest of us.’ Sesshomaru thought. Haruto was still powerful enough to stop any of his sons’ attempts on his life if needed, and he knew that. Sesshomaru was just curious as to which of the sons it was that wanted him gone, Kiyoshi or Saburo.

He quickly debated on whether or not to head into the Southern Lands and relay the information to Ryu concerning what he’d found out. The cooperation between the Southern, Western, and Eastern leaders had proved quite fruitful for Sesshomaru, and given him a number of good tips on what was going on concerning Haruto and some other mainlanders who had tried to invade his land nearly a decade ago. Both he, Ryu, and Ronin had spies planted within various parts of the Northern Land’s infrastructure to keep track of what was going on. And the information they were receiving back from their moles was disturbing to say the least. The only problem was that some of the information was contradicting, and they were not sure of what to believe.

But by all accounts, Ryu had the right to know what was going on, and what he’d found out during the patrols. Sesshomaru stood, now with a sufficiently logical justification of his actions, and took to the skies again, heading towards the Southern palace with the intent of telling Ryu the news and then leaving without anyone the wiser. He knew Rin and Kaida would be busy with the festival, and doubted they would see him. Besides, he had told Kaida that he wasn’t going to be there, and there was not point in going back on his word.

By the time he dropped down outside the defensive wall surrounding the village, the sun had sank below the horizon, and the full moon was plainly visible in the night sky. The noise of hundred and hundreds of humans caroling and singing filled his ears, and he could smell meat cooking from somewhere within the area.

As he walked up to the palace gates, one of the guards stepped down from the secured location along the wall and called out to him.

“State your name and business.” he yelled, apparently not realizing whom he was addressing. Sesshomaru simply stepped into the light put out by the torches nearby and looked up at the guard, who quickly backed down and nodded for someone to unlock the gates and allow Sesshomaru passage.

As he walked through, Sesshomaru felt Ryu’s familiar aura coming closer. He met the dragon lord once he was through the gates, and grimaced internally. The Southern Lord looked in fine form, laughing at something one of his soldiers had said. But one look in Sesshomaru’s direction had him sobered up and serious in an instant.

“Sesshomaru.” he said, gesturing for the Western Lord to follow him into a small room off to the side. “What brings you here? I was under the impression that you were not going to be here.”

“I have new information concerning Haruto’s movements along the borderlands.” he said. Ryu nodded in understanding and Sesshomaru quickly relayed the information that his informant Toran had told him. “He’s planning on striking the trading ports near the pearl beds along the Southern tip of the island in a week.”

“I’ll send word to reroute the ships.” Ryu said. “They can do what they need to at one of the other ports on the coast. And the pearl beds have already been harvested. Is there anything else?”

“I believe that is all.” Sesshomaru said. “If you will excuse me, I need to return to my patrols.” About that time, the sky filled with colorful sparkles and streamers, and Ryu grinned.

“You might as well stay a little longer at least.” the dragon Lord said. “The show is about to start.”

“Show?”

“Kaida and Rin are assisting with the celebrations this evening.” Ryu said. “It should be interesting to watch them, don’t you think?”

“What part has Rin in this?” he demanded.

“She’s reading a story while Kaida and some others act it out.” he answered.

“Act?”

“Or at least try to.” he amended, shrugging. “Rin seemed excited to be able to help.”

Sesshomaru considered his options for a few moments. He could stick around and watch the show, and Kaida’s inevitable humiliating attempt at acting. Or he could leave and go back to patrols. It didn’t take him long to decided, and he followed Ryu back up to the palace. After all, having one more thing to hand over the annoying demoness’ head would give him an advantage when they were sparring again.

The two Lords took their seats on a balcony overlooking the courtyard and waited for the show to begin.

-

Rin dusted her kimono off and adjusted the obi around her waist. Her job was simple enough. She simply had to sit off at the side of the stage and read the legend from the scroll in her hands, breaking every now and then while Kaida and Kaze acted out the story as she went.

“Calm down, love.” Kentaro said, sidling up to her and hugging her from around back. “You’ll do fine.”

“Easy for you to say.” Rin said. “You never show your face out there.”

“You’ll do fine, Rin.” Kaida said. “The villagers just want to hear the story and see Kaze and the rest of us attempt to act it out.”

“This should keep them laughing for a few days.” Kaze said, coming to Kaida’s side. “Not a one of us can act.”

“We are ready to begin.” one of the headmen said, bowing.

“Well, let’s get this over with.” Kaida said with a grimace, taking her position behind the crude curtain that had been erected behind the stage. Rin nodded walked out to the stage with Kentaro, who was carrying the scroll. She took her place and spread the parchment in front of her, then waited for the villagers to quiet down.

When they settled down and became quiet, Rin cleared her throat and began the story.

“Our legend begins at the dawn of time, long before human or demons roamed the land. Mother Earth had created our world with patience and care. Unfortunately, after taxing herself to such a great extent, the great goddess could not assume a corpeal form and descend into her creation in order to make it hospitable for her creatures. In her stead, she uses the last of her waning magic to create another celestial being, her daughter Miho. Mother Earth gifted her daughter with her magic, and then sent her to Earth, only to fall into a dormant sleep.”

Sesshomaru watched carefully as a woman emerged from behind curtained of area of the raised stage; and found himself suddenly, overtly aware of the fact that the woman playing the part of Mother Earth’s daughter was none other than Kaida. The fiery demoness he had so often sparred with was dressed in a modified version of a typical kimono. The fabric was pure white, and had ferns embroidered along the bottom. Some unusual modifications had been done, causing the sleeves to bell out, and the hem to fall almost indecently at the top of her thigh.

With her hair flowing freely around her shoulders in waves, and no protection on her feet, along with the uncommonly serene expression of utter innocence on her face, she was barely recognizable and a reasonable facsimile of the legendary Miho.

“Mother Earth sent her daughter to Earth with instructions to make it hospitable for living creatures while she regenerated her own magic with some much needed rest." Rin continued on. "And so Miho did as she was bid, coving the world with plants and animals of all kinds. But Miho soon became lonely as the years passed, and she longed for someone with whom to speak with. She prayed to her mother to send her a companion. But Mother Earth was still too weakened from her work to grant her daughter’s heartfelt plea.”

Kaida moved around the small stage, dropping seeds into small furrows, only to have them immediately spring forth with sinuous, leafy vines. She continued to do so until the stage was nothing more than a mass of shrubs and vines that resembled a small jungle. Sesshomaru greatly suspected that Kentaro was the one responsible for manipulating the plant growth, but threw the thought away as he watched Kaida’s serene face grow unhappy and forlorn.

‘Oh, mother, dear mother!’ Miho called out to the sky. ‘For twelve summers have I wandered, doing your bidding. I plead with you to send me a companion, someone with whom I can speak freely with.’

“But it was not Mother Earth who heard her cry, as the great goddess was in a deep sleep still.” Rin continued on in a sweet voice. “It was none other than Father Sky who heard, and it was he who answered Miho’s prayers. The great deity fashioned how own child, a son, and sent him to Earth as a companion to Miho.”

Another person stepped out from behind the curtains, and Sesshomaru quickly noted that the male demon was of his own species. He was bare chested and had no foot protection. His red-brown hair was pulled into a low ponytail at the nape of his neck, and there was a small dagger sheathed at his side.

“This son was named Hito, and he soon found Miho as she somberly worked away. He came across her one day in a small ravine. Miho sensed the presence of a being she had not created, and fled in fear, taking refuge in a thicket of bushes, only to be found by Hito.”

‘Why do you run?’ Hito asked.

‘I do not know you. I did not crate you.’ Miho answered. ‘What are you and how did you get to be here?’

‘I was created by Father Sky, much the same way you were created from Mother Earth.’ he answered soothingly. ‘He has sent me to keep you company. Please, come out. I will not harm you. I have come to help you’

-

Hito reached out and helped Miho to her feet, then carefully embraced her as if she was some sort of delicate porcelain doll. Sesshomaru was more so stunned to see that Kaida did not recoil from the physical contact like she still did with him when they sparred. Instead, the insolent demoness seemed to burrow deeper into the other dog demon’s arms.

For some reason, he found it scandalizing to see her so familiar with another, unknown male, and he tamped down the sudden, uncharacteristic hot streak of annoyance that began to rear it’s head.

The more he watched them act out the legend Rin was reading, the more his ward’s voice began to fade out. Eventually, his entire focus was on Kaida and her partner. He watched as they walked around the stage and acted out simple tasks like picking fruit or planting seeds. And he was acutely aware of the almost continuous physical contact between the male and Kaida. ‘Hito’s’ arm stayed around her waist at all times, or his hand was on the small of her back, leading her gently from one place to another.

‘She’s not stopping him.’ he thought, glaring at the laughing pair. ‘It is almost as if she is welcoming and receptive to this demon’s attention.’ He watched for a few more minutes, and quickly concluded that what he was seeing was not as much an act as it was supposed to be.

-

‘…years later, Miho and Hito mated, and she gave birth to the first of many children, thus beginning the demon race.’ Rin concluded. He watched when Kaida left the small stage, and then reappeared with a small child wrapped in some clothes.

‘A son. I have born you a beautiful son.’ Miho said proudly, holding the child so Hito could get a good look. ‘What shall we call him, my love? He must have a proper name.’

‘He will be called Kano, and have mastery of the four winds.’ Hito said proudly.

-

Miho nodded and smiled at him. ‘Hito’ took the opportunity presented and kissed Kaida full on the lips then, causing a number of snickers to erupt from the surrounding human villagers. Beside him, Lord Ryu laughed and shook his head while Keiji covered his own smile with his hand. Sesshomaru held back an unearthly snarl.

“He’s going to get it for that.” Ryu barked. “Kaida’s going to rip him a new hole in his head for that!”

“She’s embarrassed.” Keiji proclaimed. Sesshomaru looked carefully at her and spotted the redness on her cheeks as she struggled to regain her composure from the unexpected assault. It took a few seconds, but she did, and only smiled up at him warmly.

‘Is he a lover?’ Sesshomaru questioned. ‘It would explain her familiarity with him, as well as her reluctance of public displays of affection considering her promise to mate the neko.’

Suddenly, for some inexplicable reason, Sesshomaru really did not like this demon male.

“You okay over there?” Ryu asked suddenly. The Western Lord’s vision cleared instantly and he looked over at Ryu, who seemed a bit surprised.

“I am fine.” he answered stiffly, quickly bringing the slight flare of his aura under control before anyone else noticed. Unfortunately, it seemed as though Fate was frowning down on him. For when he looked back to the stage, he was faced with a pair of utterly shocked and angry green eyes that belonged to Kaida. Her partner however, seemed thoroughly amused, and whispered something to her that caused her to retaliate by inconspicuously stomping his foot with her own.

-

“And so it continued on for nearly three centuries.” Rin continued, bringing Kaida and Sesshomaru out of their stare down. “Miho would birth the children, and Hito would name them and bestow their abilities onto them. Earth was a proverbial haven by now, but not all was well. Miho and Hito had begun to grow weaker as the days progressed. Miho, in an attempt to find a way to stop the aging process, sought out the help of one of her sons who had been gifted with unnatural abilities upon his birth. But Hito, who had not particularly cared for that son, became angry, and eventually killed the demon. And when Miho found out that one of her precious children had been slain, and by their father’s own hand, she grew furious.”

‘How could you do this!’ raged Miho. ‘He was barely grown! Our own son!’

‘He was unnatural.’ Hito yelled back.

‘He was our son!‘ she yelled.

‘I created this place! I can find a way to stay strong, to not perish!’ Hito countered. ‘We shall walk these grounds forever!’

‘You will walk them alone.’ she answered. ‘You will not mindlessly destroy our work because you can’t control yourself. You will not take our children’s lives!’

‘You are not going anywhere. You need me.’ he answered smugly. ‘You are not strong enough to survive without me.’

‘No, Hito.’ she said, shaking her head. ‘You need me. I am a mother, and as strong as I need to be in order to protect my children. You need me, or have you forgotten that my mother was the one who created this paradise? She was the one who infused her power into me. I was alone before you came, and I can just as easily be alone now.’

‘You need me.’

'Miho grew so angry that she stormed away from her mate. The Earth shook so uncontrollably in her rage that a large section of land fell away. In the heavens above, Mother Earth, who was finally awake from her forced dormancy, took pity on her only child and shifted the large chunks of land out into the ocean. It was on these islands that Miho returned while Hito remained on the mainland. With her waning strength, Miho carved out ever ravine and river, every cliff and mountain top of Japan. The years went by, and now her energy was almost gone, her end drawing near.’

‘Her love for Hito had never waned, yet he had never come for her.’ Rin said sadly. ‘Never once had he tried to make amends. Finally the day came when some of her children were forced to carry her body to the top of a tall funeral pyre that had been constructed.’

A couple of people came out from behind the stage, carrying Kaida’s still body on a board and then laying her gently on top of a pyre that had been created out of logs.

‘Unbeknownst to the now dead Miho, Hito had been told what was happening to her by one of their children. The son of Father Sky had raced across land and sea, frantically trying to get to Miho’s side. Bt when he cleared the tree line above the valley which Miho was lying in, he could see her still from on the pyre.’

‘Across the way, the great mountain began to spurt forth flaming rocks and sable smoke. Hot lava ran down the sides, heading straight for the pyre, setting everything in it’s path aflame.’

‘Hito dashes down the valley and sprints to the pyre, quickly climbing to the top. He takes her hands and begs her to return, apologizing over and over again for his mistakes. He prays to the gods above, to his father, and to Mother Earth for help, but the lava continues to get closer.’

‘He finally gives up hope and resigns him fate to that of Miho’s. But Mother Earth and Father Sky come before him in all their celestial glory right before the pyre goes up in flame. They tell him that Miho died of a broken heart, and the only way to revive her is to transfer the last of his demonic energy into her. Hito doesn’t think and kisses her motionless body as the tall pyre is enveloped by the lava and flames begin to leap up around them. A blinding light surrounds them, and the next thing Hito knows, both he and Miho are away from the burning valley.’

‘What is this?’ Hito asks. ‘How did…Miho?’

“Hito? What are you….’

‘I received word hat you were dying, and came as fast as I could.’

‘I was dead. How…’

‘Your mate’s love is what kept you safe from the lava and brought you away from the fire.’ Mother Earth said.

A human woman dressed in flowing white and purple robes stepped forward, as well as a human man in black.

‘Mother?’ Miho asked.

‘Quite a show, that was.’ Father Sky commented.

‘Father?’ Hito asked. ‘How?’

‘Your remaining demonic force and sudden depletion of magic kept you safe.’ his father answered. ‘Your desire to protect Miho was all you needed. The rest took care of itself.’

‘But now you are faced with a grave choice.’ Mother Earth said. ‘With your demonic energy gone, you are weak, defenseless.’

‘We can take you back with us, but you will be forced apart, for neither of you can live in the other’s world.’ Father Sky said solemnly.

“No.” Hito said firmly.

‘Not that.’ Miho said, shaking her head.

‘Then you will become mortal, and live your lives out on this planet.’ Father Sky said.

‘So be it.’ Hito said.

‘We don’t want to be apart. Not any longer.’ Miho answered.

‘If this is what you want…’

“It is.’ they said.

‘Very well then.’ Mother Earth said ‘Farewell, children. We will be watching over you.’

‘And with that final goodbye, Miho and Hito watched as their mother ad father faded away.’ Rin said. ‘From then on, they lived out their lives as humans, not the celestial bodies they were once. And so began the human race, a breed of beings that were born in the heat of flame, and the passion of an undying love.’

-

Kaida smiled gratefully as Rin ended the legend, and the applause from the surrounding villagers filtered to her ears. Beside her, Kaze was grinning like the cat that caught the canary, his hand securely around her waist.

“See, that wasn’t so bad, now was it?” he asked.

“You are in so much trouble.” she said.

“What’d I do?” he asked innocently enough, leading her off of the stage as the villagers dispersed. She glared at him, knowing he understood what she meant. He just laughed and shook his head. “Come on, love. Lighten up! You should have seen your father’s face. It was priceless! And Keiji’s about to wet his pants laughing. Not to mention Sesshomaru looks ready to bite my head off.”

“What’s his problem?” she asked.

“No clue.” Kaze answered. Kaida shrugged, but didn’t look towards the balcony again.

“Hell, I’d do it again if it pissed him off.” she said carelessly, shrugging. That was one thing she should not have said.

“Really?” Kaze asked, looking very evil all of a sudden.

“Yes, that damn mongrel wasn’t supposed to even be here! I don’t know why he…oomph!” She was caught off guard when Kaze suddenly reached out and grabbed her, bringing his lips down on hers in a bruising kiss that shocked her into a complete stasis.

She didn’t know what to do, but when she realized what Kaze had done, she was determined to knock his head in. She endured the kiss for the sake of it, and when he finally let her go, Kaida was geared up to let him have a tongue lashing. But before she could get one word out, Kaze caught her arms and gently hugged her tight.

“Please don’t kill me. I’ve waited years to do that, and couldn’t help myself when such a prime opportunity presented itself.” he whispered.

“You always were an opportunistic bastard, Kaze.” she said breathlessly, her head slightly spinning due to lack of oxygen.

“I know.” he said smugly. “But at least your father’s getting a good laugh. And Sesshomaru looks more than a little pissed.” Kaida looked inconspicuously out the corner of her eyes and tamped down a smile of her own. Her father and brother were laughing their heads off at her. But Sesshomaru seemed as impassive as ever, even though he was still staring at her hard enough to burn a hole in the back of her head.

“Sesshomaru’s not mad.” she said, shaking her head. “He always looks like that.”

“Right, and the melted metal glob at his feet used to be the seat handles.” Kaze said, pulling her closer and nuzzling her neck. She looked again, and sure enough, she could see his claws glowing vaguely green, and dripping poison.

Kaze was right.

Sesshomaru was mad.

“What’s gotten into him?” she asked quietly, completely confused. “Rin’s not in any danger. And he can’t blame me for Kentaro being here!”

“Jealousy.”

“Huh?”

“He& #8217;s jealous.”

“Right. Kaze, have you lost your mind?” she asked.

“No, listen.” the dog demon told her, a grin on his face when he buried his head in her hair and her own hand automatically went to play with his hair. “Dog’s are very territorial. He doesn’t know me, and seeing you acting so blatantly familiar and utterly intimate with a male who he does not know, and is not family to you, has thrown him for a loop. And you get extra points because I'm another a dog demon.”

“He’s probably waiting for me to kick your ass, you realize.” she laughed.

“Undoubtedly.”

“Well, if he’s as bad as you say, and you would know better than myself how dogs think, let’s see how far we can push him.” she said mischievously as the more playful side of her breeding took a hold.

“What are you thinking…oomph!” It seemed she had startled Kaze by pulling him forward and into a bruising kiss of her own. It took a few seconds, but Kaze finally lost his surprise at her bold move and began to respond, wrapping his arms around her and slanting his mouth over her own.

Kaida could feel the waves of humor rolling off her father and brother and hear their laughter ringing in her ears. But the darkening cloud that was nearby she quickly pinned on Sesshomaru. When she broke away from her long time friend, she inconspicuously glanced up at the balcony, and felt her blood fall to her feet.

Sesshomaru honestly looked like he could kill her and Kaze both. He was glaring at her, and she could see him flexing his claws as the acid green poison began to seep out. She suddenly felt really stupid for pulling a stunt like that in front of him, but it was too late to take it back. She felt Kaze wrap his hand around her waist and tug her away from the demon Lord’s line of sight.

-

“You okay?” Kaze asked, looking down at her worriedly.

“What the hell did I just do?” she asked, shaking her head as if to clear it. “I just made a complete ass out of myself in front of Sesshomaru.”

“Why are you worried about it?” Kaze asked. “It’s not like he’s got any say so in what you do while you are in your own home.”

“It’s more of the principal of the whole thing.” she replied. “I’m supposed to be setting a good example for Rin.”

“All you did was prove to him that you’re not a prude.” Kaze said easily.

“I’m a soldier.” Kaida said firmly, although it did not sound as convincing as it should have. “And soldiers do not kiss their friends in the middle of a harvest festival in front of their father!”

“You’re a woman.” Kaze said firmly, a grin on his face. “And you just proved that to everyone out there. Not that there was ever a doubt in my mind.”

“I’ve got to find Rin.” Kaida said quickly. She stood and walked quickly past Kaze, who frowned in concentration. He reached out and gripped Kaida’s kimono by the shoulder, bringing her to a halt.

“Rin is fine.” he said. “She’s with Kentaro.”

“Hence the problem.” Kaida said. “Sesshomaru will kill him if he gets near her.”

“He’s is smart enough to stay a respectable distance away from her while Sesshomaru’s here.” he said. “Would you calm down already? What’s got you so uptight all of a sudden?”

“Sesshomaru wasn’t supposed to be here.”

“Big deal, so he is.” Kaze said. “No need to get worried about it. It’s too late to change what he’s seen now anyway.” Kaida slumped down against a nearby wall in defeat and bowed her head. She didn’t understand why she felt so bad for doing what she’d done. Any other time, her antics with Kaze would not have gotten her so upset, and she didn’t understand why she decided now to have a conscience. She’d never cared what others thought or saw before.

Granted, she highly doubt another woman in her station would have just up and kissed their childhood friend not one, not twice, but three different times in front of a courtyard full of villagers and their own father. The villagers opinions didn't matter to her. And her father and brother had long ago learned to disregard her and Kaze's crazy antics. But Sesshomaru wouldn't know, wouldn't understand who Kaze was to her.

Why now?

Why was she so worried?

‘Because Sesshomaru’s sitting out there.’ she told herself. ‘It’s bad enough he doesn’t respect you as it is. Now he’s going to think you’re some kind of whore with no morals!’

“You’re right.” she said, finally.

“Of course I am.” he said firmly, taking her hand and tucking it under his own. “Now, let’s go find Rin and Kentaro. There is still much more of the festival to be had tonight.”

“You do realize that if what you said about Sesshomaru is true, then he’s likely to bite your head off.” Kaida pointed out casually as they walked around the corner and into the crowd.

“Yes. I know.”

“And?”

“And that is why I have you with me.” he said cheekily. Kaida just rolled her eyes and shook her head, then headed them towards where Rin was speaking with some of the village children nearby while Kentaro was using his magic to make little poufs of lights and sparkles.

‘Might as well enjoy it while I can.’ Kaida thought, going to Rin’s side. ‘I’m going to catch hell from Sesshomaru for bringing Rin into this first thing tomorrow, and I know it.’

-

Ryu stood from his seat and stretched out his back after Kaida and the others disappeared behind the crude curtain, then turned to the eerily silent Western Lord on his right.

“Well, Sesshomaru, what did you think of the show?” he asked, watching the dog’s reaction. Sesshomaru rose from his own seat, flicked the last of the poison off his claws and turned to leave, growling.

“You do not want to know.”

-

A/N - Okay, how many thought I was going to through another player into this little game, and another dog demon at that? (moves away from rotten vegetables being thrown towards me) Let’s see how things play out, shall we?

Until next time,

A.A.

And please remember to review. I want to know what you are thinking.