InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 25 ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was. The only characters I own are Kaida and her family. The rest belong to their original creator. No money is being made off of this at all, so don’t sue.

-

Teaching Rin

Chapter 25

Starting To Realize The Truth

-

Sesshomaru was up to his neck in petitions from the clans under his rule. With the onset of winter, many of the human villagers were having a hard time weathering the unusually harsh snowstorms, and were asking for help. He pushed the requests aside, trying to focus his attention on the new trade routes to the East that had proven to be a brilliant strategical move on Rin’s part.

Unfortunately, no matter what he did, his mind kept reverting back to meeting he would be having with Ronin and Kentaro the next day. As the young fox’s attempts to request permission to court Rin had continued, Sesshomaru had agreed to a meeting to discuss what was to come. The Eastern father and son would be arriving tomorrow in the early morning, and Sesshomaru was not happy about it.

And to make his bad mood even worse, he had Kaida to thank for such an agreement. It had been her stubborn opinion that had finally made him cave, and at least give way to the younger girl’s whim where the fox was concerned.

‘You’re not going to like any of them, so why not let Rin be happy.’ she had said. He had to admit that the spirited demoness would more than likely be accurate in her assumptions. He still considered the kitsune Kentaro a coward for not standing up to rightly ask for Rin on his own, and had told Kaida so.

‘He’s following tradition, as he should.’ she had admonished. ‘Since you’re such a stickler for the way things should be, he’s asking beforehand. Kami knows if he’d done it any other way, you’d have another reason to be overly critical of him.’

Once again, she had been correct. He was going to be critical of whomever wanted Rin, simply because he was her guardian, and had been for such a long time. But hearing those words from the mouth of Kaida had made his hackles rise. Sesshomaru was very aware of his faults, the few they were, and hated being criticized. But Kaida, she cared not what she said, and whom she said it to, as had been proven many a time before…the recent being a only a few hours ago, and the first on the day he met her.

The past few months had been relatively peaceful as winter set in. Kaida and Rin had continued their training and teaching, and he had gotten a new sparring partner who did not fall at his feet without a decent fight.

‘She is improving as time passes.’ he thought glumly, recalling the few times Kaida had actually managed to get the one up on him and win a spar. ‘I doubt any in her father’s legions or my own could defeat her now.

The demoness had begun to take more and more of his time as the weeks went along. He would spar in the morning and evening with her, long before Rin began her morning duties, and after the teenager went to sleep. They would vary their sparring places occasionally. One day they were in the forest, the next on a rocky cliff, and even the next in a deeper ravine. And they would vary their weapon of choice to improve handling of weapons they were unfamiliar with.

It all acted as learning experiences for them both. And it was the only time they really hurled any type of derogatory comments towards each other.

Sesshomaru did it to goad on the demoness temper, and to make her focus on her fighting.

Kaida did it just because she could.

The rest of the time they were cordial towards each other. Sesshomaru had put Kaze’s advice to use, and found that the less he pushed Kaida’s buttons, the easier she acquiesced to what he wanted her to do. And she seemed to loose the defensive attitude as the months passed.

Make no mistake though, they still argued on certain topics, namely Kentaro and Rin’s relationship, but none of it was as cutthroat as before. Blood was rarely shed, and neither wound up in the medical wing under Keisha’s reproachful glare. Sesshomaru had even caught himself seeking out her company on a few of the occasions he had some free time, and found out that Kaida was remarkably intelligent in a number or areas.

There was still an uneasy feeling between them, but it was slowly ebbing away the longer she remained there. The familiarity he had with the spitfire female was something he had not had before, and it worried him that he was beginning to go soft on her, much like he had when Rin came along. But he rationalized it as a necessary arrangement that would terminate once Rin was presented at court, and Kaida no longer lived in the Western Lands.

The Western Lord shook his head in aggravation, trying to force himself to go back to the work at hand, but his concentration refused to cooperate. He pushed back the paperwork and decided to take a walk, hoping to clear his head a bit.

It was only a few moments after he had exited the council room that Kaida and Rin’s voices floated up from the kitchen. They seemed excited about something, and he picked up a few words and names, two of which he could have completely forgone hearing, ‘Kaze’ and ‘Kentaro’. He quickly passed on his way, not stopping to hear the gossip the two females were likely sharing with Keisha, especially if it concerned the impertinent kitsune noble and brazen inu merchant.

His reaction to Kaze had surprised even himself, and anytime he heard the other demon’s name, he suddenly felt like taking the head off of whoever was standing closest. He honestly didn’t understand why, and could not rationalize his behavior. But something in his gut kept telling him that whatever was going on was not going to end prettily..

‘The dog has no reason to worry me.’ he thought as he passed into the gardens. ‘He is not here, and not capable of getting any closer here than I shall allow.’

Kaze’s territorialism towards Kaida had set him for a loop, mainly because he had not expected her to be so close with someone who was not only a male, but a dog demon as well. Especially considering she practically radiated hatred for him at the time.

‘Things have changed, and more towards the better.’ he thought. ‘Had they not, I do believe Kaida would have been a bit more perturbed the morning I found her bathing in the spring.’ Sesshomaru smirked lightly, remembering all too clearly the expression Kaida had on her face that morning some months ago.

It was one he was not likely to forget anytime soon.

-

“I hope I didn’t wake you.” she said. Sesshomaru, although realizing he had been caught, simply walked from the underbrush and stood at the side of the spring.

“You did not.”

“What are you doing up this early?” she asked, pulling her hair over her shoulder to undo the thick braid. Her back was completely exposed to him, as well as her shoulders. He could faintly make out the long scar lines under her shoulder blades where her wings protruded. He could also see the small, circular scar at the base of her spine where her tail grew. “Sesshomaru?”

“It is none of your concern.” he said. “Why are you out? We do not train for a few more hours.”

“I couldn’t sleep.” she said with a shrug, throwing her curtain of hair across her shoulder and into the spring’s water. “So I came out here to calm my nerves.”

“Beyond the safety of the fortress walls?”

“With the way you run patrols and keep guards posted, I highly doubt I have anything to worry about.” she said. “The most dangerous thing I’ve run into out here was a water snake, and even he seems to be just waking up.”

He said nothing, but continued to note the small changes she had undergone while in his service. Her body had filled out and softened without the constant training and rigorous fighting. Her body had adjusted itself, and her curves were more pronounced. He had suspected it when she had dressed for the festival with Rin, and his theory was solidified when he heard her mention that her old kimonos would not fit anymore.

“Did you need something from me?” she asked, turning her head over her shoulder to look at him curiously, apparently waiting to find out his reason for being out there.

“No.” he replied. Kaida just shrugged and dipped her body under the water, oblivious to the Western Lord’s piercing gaze. When she came up, her hair had come across her shoulders, covering her upper body from view, but leaving her back bare once again. She huffed in aggravation at his silent presence, turning around to face him, her arms crossed, and the water at her waist.

“Well if you don’t want anything, can’t I bathe in peace?” she asked.

“Have you no modesty, woman?” he barked, leveling her with a stare.

“I’m a soldier, and the only female in my father’s legions.” she countered. “My modesty was gone long before now.”

“Obviously.”

He continued to watch her as she finished bathing in the naturally warm spring. It had been a number of months since the Southern festival, and they had fallen into a seemingly mundane routine. They trained in the morning, went their separate ways, seen each other at dinner, and trained in the evening. They did not argue as much, though. Of course, the usual trash talk during spars was still there, and the subtly insults still flew every time they were within speaking distance of each other, and he couldn’t help but purposely aggravate her while she was trying to get something accomplished just to see her get mad; but there was no more knock down, drag out, I-am-going-to-literally-kill-you fights.

“Would you mind turning around?” she asked a half hour later, looking back over her shoulder at him.

“I thought you had lost your modesty?” he countered, taking the opportunity present to goad her anger on. He knew she would want to hit him for that comment, but could not get out of the spring due to her lack of clothing.

“That doesn’t mean I’m going to give you a free show!” she growled, grabbing a rock and throwing it at him. He stepped to one side as the rock flew by his head, tamping down the smirk that threatened to escape. Call it ridiculous, but he perversely enjoyed making her mad. It was a sort of morbid entertainment for him, and he found it amusing to watch her annoyance with him shoot through the roof. “Go away!”

“I will be waiting a quarter mile from here for your arrival for morning training.” he said calmly, gathering his energy at his feet in order to form the white cloud he usually traveled on.

“If you don’t get going, you’re going to be waiting longer than you think.” she threatened. “Better yet, I might not even show.”

“You are in no position to be making threats.” he pointed out.

“No, but I am in a position to…” she started off, but stopped short, apparently not wanting to finish that sentence if the flushed look on her face was any indication.

“What was that?” he queried.

“Nothing.” she barked. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Very well.” he said, taking to the sky and leaving her to dress. "I shall be waiting for your arrival."

That morning had been one of said mornings when he’d been on the receiving end of Kaida’s well known temper. He had heartily embarrassed her at the spring, and knew it well by the time they were finished sparring. Had they been keeping points, he would have lost. She had been in fine form that morning, and he had paid the price for what he’d seen and done.

Sesshomaru stepped into one of the gardens and looked around at the few shrubs that had remained green during the harsh winter weather. A few winter roses had managed to survive as well by taking shelter in the evergreen’s dense foliage, and he fingered the petals of one small, red rose when his thoughts once again turned to Kaida, as they had been doing quite frequently as of late.

This had been the exact same spot he’d found her practicing with Rin’s bow and arrows only a few days after the southern festival. That would have been one of his fonder memories of the demoness, had he had any.

He’d thought about that evening many times, tearing apart Kaida’s reactions to what had transpired. It had been that particular evening when he had put Kaze’s advice to use, and finally understood much more about Kaida than he had before.

-

“You are not training this evening?” he asked, looking at the bow in her hands and the quiver of arrows strapped to her back. He had tracked her down to one of the gardens near the back of the fortress after noticing that her scent had taken on a musky scent. It wasn’t unpleasant, more alluring than anything, should the truth be told, and he was curious as to what had caused the change so suddenly.

“I’m going to begin Rin’s archery lessons day after tomorrow.” she said. “I figured I needed to brush up on my own less than perfect skills if I’m going to teach her anything useful.”

She knocked an arrow and lined up the target dummy that was about a hundred feet or so away, letting it fly. The arrow flew haphazardly towards its intended target, only to finally veer off to the left half way there and embed in the bark of a cherry tree.

“Wonderful aim.” he commented dryly, causing Kaida’s face to tinge pink.

“I never was much of an archer.” she admitted. “Too much defensive focus. I’m better with hand to hand and close range combat.”

“Obviously so. Your aim with blades is much more precise.” he said as another wayward arrow landed in the dirt, no where within the general vicinity of the target. “At least then you hit your intended target.”

“Yeah, well, no one is perfect.” she said sourly, knocking another arrow and shooting it towards the target, only to have it stick into the ground at the dummy’s feet. “Well, it was closer at any rate.”

“Your stance is too narrow.” he said after watching her draw the string back once again. “Move your feet further apart.”

“Excuse me?”

“Do you wish to know why you are failing so miserably at hitting a stationary target?” he asked pointedly.

“Well…”

“Then do as I say, and the problem will correct itself in due time.” he informed her. “Now, widen your stance.”

She did as instructed and widened her feet to shoulder width apart.

“Now lower your elbow, keep it parallel with the ground.” he said softly, walking around her, inspecting her stance and positioning. She moved her arm, but it was still not where he wanted it. He walked behind her, placing his hand on her shoulder and pushing it into the correct position. Her usually light scent was becoming more and more musky the closer he got to her, and it was making his concentration waver a little. “Keep your back straight. Sight the target.”

“Okay.” she said, giving a slight nod. His hand unconsciously slid down to rest in the center of her back, which caused her to tense up so badly he was sure he could hear the sinew stretching to the point of ripping to pieces. Her scent took on the sour smell of fear, startling him a bit.

‘She’s too tense to focus on what she is doing.’ he thought curiously. ‘Even after all this time, she is uncomfortable. What did those cats do to make her so wary of another’s touch? For once, I am trying not to harm her.’

Sesshomaru pulled his hands away from her, and noticed that she relaxed a little more as he moved away, her scent returning back to it’s normal, albeit musky scent.

“Shoot.” he commanded. Kaida took in a breath of air and steadied her shaking hands. She let the arrow fly, and they watched as it landed in the lower stomach of the dummy.

“That’s a little better.” she said with a frown. “Maybe you should teach her archery, not me.”

“Nonsense.” he said. “You are her teacher. You will teach her.”

“I’m no good at this, Sesshomaru.” she said testily. “You can see that for yourself.”

“That is no excuse.” he said. “Do it again.” Kaida just growled at the dog demon and took up the stance that was apparently becoming all together too familiar for her liking. He walked up to her again, pulling her elbow down until it was parallel to the ground. He noticed that her hands were unsteady, which was causing the bow to move. “Hold still. You will hit nothing if your grip is wavering.”

“Get away from me then.” she barked. “I can’t do anything with you on top of me like this.”

He watched her with some amusement as she tried once again after he backed away. The shot was a flop, and landed no where near the target.

“Listen to me.” he said, tempering his voice as he walked back up to her. “You have to be in control of yourself to do this. Get into stance.” Kaida glared at him, but complied, pulling the bow up in front of her, knocking an arrow, and drawing the string back.

Sesshomaru drew closer behind her and reached out to grasp the bow right below her own hand, disregarding the fuzziness that was causing his head to spin. His other went to rest on her hand that held the arrow in place on the drawn string. Kaida apparently found his closeness unnerving because she started fidgeting in an attempt to put some space between them, but he wouldn’t move.

“What are you doing?” she demanded. “Get away from me.”

“I am demonstrating how to properly shoot an arrow since you can’t seem to figure it out on your own.” he said coldly, glaring down at her lightly. Their eyes locked in a silent battle of wills for a few moments, until Kaida gave up and turned her attention back forward.

“Fine.” she complied.

“You are too tense.” he said calmly. “Relax.”

“Considering the only other time you’re this close to me is when you’re usually trying to maim me within an inch of my life, it‘s a bit of a stretch to be calm down.”

“Then consider this a once in you lifetime happening.” he said dismissively. “Now relax. I am not attempting to harm you.” She'd never reacted to his presence like this before. She'd usually get defensive and annoyed, not nervous and timid. This was not the Kaida he had become used to dealing with.

“This time.” Kaida muttered, apparently forcing herself to be complacent. He could feel her forcing her body to relax, to loosen the tense muscles. Her scent was still laced with the sour smell of fear, but it was less so than it had been earlier. When her breathing evened out a few moments later, he continued on.

“The bow is not going to jump out of your hands. Do not hold it so tightly.” he instructed. “Keep the string pulled taut, and sight your target.”

“Okay.” she said.

“Now aim above where you wish the arrow to land. Not far, only a few inches. Take your time. You are not in a race.”

“Okay.”

“Now let it go.” he said, his hands hovering in their positions as she let the arrow fly towards the dummy, only to lodge itself right between the painted on dots that served as eyes.

“Damn. I did it.” Kaida said, apparently awe struck. “I don’t believe it.”

“You are in too big of a hurry.” he said coolly. “Take your time, and you will be fine.”

“Thanks.” she said, giving him a half grin, and causing the fuzziness in his brain to multiply three fold. “I haven’t actually hit a target with a bow in years.”

“Yes, well.” he said. “You need work. That is all.” Kaida just grinned again and turned back to the dummy, apparently intent on practicing until the daylight waned.

‘This smell is most intriguing.’ he thought, scenting the air carefully. The musky smell seemed to be a beacon that called to him, making him want to be around its source. ‘It is eerily similar to the smell Rin puts off when she is in the middle of her fertile…cycles…each….Oh, Kami!’

Sesshomaru turned without a word and headed toward the pathway to the entrance into the fortress. He immediately stepped inside the hallway, drawing a deep breath and trying to clear his fuzz filled mind as he scowled darkly. ‘I did not need this problem to arise.’ he complained to himself, trying to relax his tense muscles at the realization that had set in once he‘d made the connection between Kaida‘s altered scent and oddly complacent behavior towards him the last few days. ‘That is why she is acting strangely! She’s in heat!’ He growled in aggravation, causing a passing servant to scuttle out of the way in fright ‘This is the last thing I need to deal with! Rin is bad enough. There’s no telling what she’s liable to be like.’

-

Ever since that particular day, he’d kept tab on when the onset of her cycles began. It wasn’t that hard to do, since he could always tell when the time was nearing because of the slightly musky tinge her scent would take on. It was during these few days that he usually tended to be away from the fortress for border patrols or meetings with the other nobles and council members. Her scent would cause his head to become fuzzy, and make him think of things that were utterly preposterous, things he would never even formulate during the times she was not fertile.

Kaida had mentioned earlier that he unconsciously hovered more around Rin during her fertile periods than any other time. And he sincerely hoped the same would not prove true about her. But Fate was a cruel mistress, as he had so many times heard, and he often times found himself seeking out her company on an instinctual basis when he was present.

He knew that his reaction to her was normal. The scents exuded by a female demons during their fertile cycles were used as markers to entice a male to mate with her, to procreate and continue the breed’s lineage. He knew that it was normal for males to seek out the scent of a female in heat; that was nature.

But that didn’t mean he had to like it.

Thankfully, Kaida’s time of fertility had passed a few weeks ago, and now she was back to normal. In turn, he was not trying to purposefully avoid her like he had been doing. Not that it would have done any good considering he had requested Kaida’s assessment on Rin’s status yesterday, and she had agreed to give him a progress report on where the teenager was.

‘She seemed almost wary when I asked her for the report.’ he remembered, frowning as he made his way back to the council room to try and finish his paperwork before it became too late. ‘Almost as if she had bad news to impart. But I know not of any problems that have arisen in the routine they have set up.’

There was a soft knock at the door only moments later, and Sesshomaru rose from his seated position, calling out for Kaida to enter into the Council room. ‘Well, we shall see precisely what the trouble is now.’

“You wished to speak with me?” Sesshomaru asked, waiting for Kaida to enter into the room.

“You wanted your monthly report on Rin’s progress.” she said, nodding in his direction as she walked in. “I have it.”

“What have you to say?” he asked, taking a seat and motioning for her to do the same. Kaida was biting her lip, and showing other signs of nervousness the longer she was there, causing him to wonder what was going on.

“She’s ready.” Kaida said simply.

“What?” he demanded. “What are you telling me? Surely, not already…”

“She’s ready for her presentation.” Kaida said, almost reluctantly. “She’s ready to take her place among you court.”

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“I’ve taught her everything I possibly can.” Kaida said. “I have nothing left for her to learn. She’s mastered every skill that I have set before her. I spoke with Keisha yesterday, and she told me that Rin has practically taken over her job, making sure things are done properly.”

Sesshomaru watched the demoness in front of him, but she refused to look him in the eyes. Instead, she turned her attention to the windows on the far side of the room. ‘So that is why she is showing concern.’ he realized. ‘She thinks with her duty done to Rin, she will be sent back home to face her future at the hands of Kiyoshi and the northern family.’

“Your duty to Rin is not over yet, despite what she has learned from you.” he said swiftly, surprising not only himself, but the demoness across from him if her sudden change of expression was any indication. “Your assistance is still required.”

“Excuse me?” she asked, an utterly confused look on her face.

“With the upcoming Lord’s meeting in the East, I will not have time to see to the arrangements personally.” he said calmly. “I leave it in your hands to see that everything is as it should be, and fitting for Rin’s inclusion into her station.”

“You want me to oversee the preparations?” she asked. “I can do that. Are there any specifics you want to tell me about now, before I get started? Special traditions that your family has followed I need to plan for?”

“I leave it to yours and Rin’s discretion.”

“I….”

“Yes?”

R 20;Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru.” she said, smiling slightly at the impassive demon when he only raised an eyebrow in quiet shock at the verbal thanks. “I will see to it immediately.” She rose and began to walk away from the still seated demon Lord, seemingly happy to know she was not going to be leaving as of yet. Sesshomaru tamped down a smirk and decided to throw off course a little more.

“And Lady Kaida.” he called.

“Yes?”

“Take your time in making the arrangements.” he said. “I want nothing out of place.”

“Of course.” she said with a grin, bowing herself out of the room. “It will have my utmost attention.”

Sesshomaru frowned after she left, realizing that he was going soft on the spunky demoness, and purposely keeping her away from her home for his own personal reasons; something he never thought he’d ever do for any creature.

How had it happened that eight months ago, he couldn’t wait to get rid of her, yet now the thought of sending her back home sent a weak twinge of regret through his chest.

‘What have I done?’

-

A/N - Well, this is one large update at one time. So I hope you all enjoy.

Until next time,

A.A.

Oh, and remember to review, I want to know what you all think.