InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 26 ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was. I’m not making any money…you guys know the drill by now.

---

Teaching Rin

Chapter 26

Prevention is Easier

---

The preparations for Rin’s presentation at court took up all the spare time Kaida had for the next two months. Invitations had to be sent out. Arrangements had to be made for the visiting nobles. Rin’s presentation kimono had to be commissioned by the Western seamstress. And a million other little things had to be set and ready to go for the day. Kaida wanted all of it to be absolutely perfect, and found that working with Sesshomaru’s household staff and crafts masters was much easier than she had expected. After talking with Rin, and hammering out a few minor details, she’d been able to order the work done that needed to be done in preparation.

The day of the presentation, the entire palace was in a frenzy, the likes of which had not been seen since Lord Sesshomaru was first presented to the court as the Western Lord after Lord InuTaisho‘s death. Hundreds of demons had been arriving for the last several days. Keisha had been organizing the decorations of the large hall, all in preparation for the presentation of Rin as Lord Sesshomaru’s heir.

It had been centuries since there was such an event as this, and Kaida and Keisha were determined that nothing go wrong. The large hall was so immaculate and polished, a person’s reflection could be seen on the white marble floors; the more public gardens had not one leaf misplaced, courtesy of Kentaro, who had arrived early to assist with any preparations he could.

Questions flooded every mind, and every demon had accepted their invitations to the festivities. Even the northern family had been invited, although it was only because tradition demanded it so. Kaida would just have easily accidentally-on-purpose lost their invitations, especially considering she was in no mood to deal with Kiyoshi. But the ban on the Northern family’s presence in the Western Lands would be temporarily lifted in order for them to be present for the presentation, even though Kaida felt it was a safety hazard.

----

Rin was fidgeting as Keisha adjusted the obi on her formal red and white kimono of the Western family.

“There is nothing to worry about, Lady Rin.” Keisha said soothingly, pulling the girl‘s hair back into a complicated knot and securing it with some ivory combs. “You have done everything you possibly can.”

“These things are nerve wracking.” Kaida said as she walked into the room, already dressed and adorned in the traditional battlements of her family, scimitars at her sides. Sesshomaru was right beside her, dressed in his own formal clothing of white and red. “I was nervous before my own as well.”

“You will be fine, Rin.” Sesshomaru said, placing a hand on the teenager’s shoulders, hoping to give her some form of comfort.

“Yeah, it can’t be any worse than mine and Keiji’s presentation.” Kaida said with a grimace. “People still remember that night.”

“I will agree with that.”

“You would.” Kaida said with a grin.

“What happened?” Rin asked.

“Well, we got through the presentation easily, no problems.” Kaida said, a small blush on her cheeks as she recounted the incident. “But afterwards, when everyone had sat down to eat, I was bringing my father a carafe of sake, and accidentally tripped on the kimono I was wearing. It wound up in InuTaisho’s lap.”

“Father always was enamored of you after that.” Sesshomaru said. “He thought it amusing that one female could turn that red that quick.”

“Well, at least I showed up for my presentation.” she countered.

“Kicking and screaming, if I do remember correctly.”

“That’s beside the point.”

“What happened at your presentation, my Lord?” Rin asked, her own nervousness temporarily forgotten as they recounted their tales of the presentations.

“Nothing.” he said quickly.

“Nothing? I wouldn’t call getting drunk off of the sake because of a bad case of nerves ‘nothing’.” Kaida ragged.

“Oh, my…”

“That never happened.”

“Yes, it did.” Kaida said with a wink in Rin‘s direction. “My father said Lord InuTaisho was not happy knowing he had gotten into the sake before hand.”

“I was not drunk.” he said flatly.

“Right. Of course you weren’t.” Kaida said with a grin, turning to Rin and giving her a conspiratory wink. “He was so far gone, the presentation had to be put off for three hours until he could sober up!” Rin laughed, but tried to stifle the noise when her guardian’s scalding glare settled on her. Rin seemed to feel better now, and Kaida was glad to see her relax a little, even if it was at her and Sesshomaru’s expense. Rin smiled at her, and Kaida stepped back.

“We’ll let you finish getting ready.” Kaida said.

“There is something I wanted to ask you, Kaida.” Rin said quietly, not looking at the demoness. “Before you leave, that is.”

“Something wrong?”

“Well…not exactly.”

“Rin?”

“I want you to be beside me when I’m in front of the Council and the other Lords.” she blurted out.

“Rin, I can’t be up there.” Kaida said gently. “The front alter is just for ruling Lords and the council members, as well as the parents of whomever is being presented.”

“Lord Sesshomaru will be there.” Rin said. “But I want you to be there as well. Tradition says that both the parents must be there, and since Lord Sesshomaru will be acting as my guardian, I want you to act as the other. You’re the only reason I am ready to do this. You’re the one that has taught me so much in the past few months. Please, Kaida.”

“Rin…” she stuttered, utterly dumbfounded at the teenager’s request. “I…I don’t know….”

“Her request is not uncommon, nor unusual.” Sesshomaru broke in. Kaida looked up at the dog demon in confusion. He wasn’t one to usually allow such a request, but this was Rin who was asking. “It is custom in the dog clans for someone to stand in for an absent parental figure should the need arise. Your answer, Lady Kaida?”

“I don’t have anything to wear.” Kaida said lamely, knowing that even in her family, any young female being presented was dressed the same as her mother, in the formal kimonos that bore the land’s signature colors.

“I already took the liberty of handling that particular problem.” Sesshomaru said, nodding as Rin pulled out an ornate red and white kimono identical to her own. The only small difference was the Western crest that adorned the hem of the sleeves, as well as the Southern crest that was embroided into the ends of the obi. Kaida took the heavy material in her hands, not exactly sure of what to think or do. “I think you will find the fit adequate.”

“Why do I have the feeling you two had already talked about this?” Kaida asked, looking from the impassive Western Lord to Rin, who was smiling happily. “And how did you know I would accept?”

“Our little secret.” Rin said, winking at her teacher and waving Keisha back into the room. The headwoman came towards her, armed with a comb and what looked to be a number of other things that Kaida had had no intention of wearing today.

“I will leave you to finish your preparations.” Sesshomaru said as Keisha got to work unbraiding Kaida’s long plait and securing it back. “Be finished within the hour, and I will return.”

“We’ll be finished, my Lord.” Keisha said with a smile, ordering Kaida to strip off the battle armor. The Western Lord simply nodded and left the three females to finish. He knew Keisha would make Kaida look appropriate for the ceremony, and had nothing to worry about on that end.

His main concern was what the reactions from the various courtiers would be when they saw her standing next to him at the alter dressed in the colors of the Western Lands, and for all intents and purposes, fulfilling a duty that only his mate, and holder of the title Lady of the Western Lands, was supposed to do.

---

The hall was packed with demons from the four lands, a mix of colors and dialects that made Rin somewhat dizzy. It was literally sensory overload to the young teenager.

“Kaida?” Rin asked, turning to look at the very different looking Southern noble. With the formal kimono on, and her hair falling down her back, Kaida looked more lovely than Rin had ever seen. But even the different clothing was not enough to change the woman into some other type of being. “There’s a lot of demons out there. They all showed up just for my presentation?”

“The rumor mill kicked up again.” Kentaro said, taking a peek between the slightly opened doors. “Word got around that a human girl was going to be presented in the Western court, and many accepted their invitations just to see if there was any truth in it.”

“Well, that’s reassuring.” Rin said, the sarcasm in her voice audible.

“Just remember what I told you, and you’ll be fine.” Kaida said, smoothing out an imaginary wrinkle in the fabric of Rin’s kimono. “Don’t let them talk down to you. If they start giving you problems, handle it. Sesshomaru and I cannot step in when we get up there. It’s up to you.”

“I can do it.” Rin said firmly. “I belong here just as much as they do.”

“That’s my girl.” Kentaro said with a grin. Rin just smiled and nodded, watching as Sesshomaru walked forward.

“Are things underway?” he asked.

“We were waiting for your arrival, my Lord.” Rin said, nodding.

“Let us go then.” he said, walking up to the doors and glancing back at Kaida to indicate she should follow as well. She gave Rin one more hug and walked up to join the formally dressed Western Lord.

“Behave yourself.” he muttered, when she got to his side.

“When do I not?” Kaida asked with a grin, her head never turning to look at him. Sesshomaru glared down at her until she looked up at him, a serious frown on her face. “I’m dressed up in the Western colors and in front of half the council members of Japan, as well as my entire family. I’m not going to do anything inappropriate. So for once, you don‘t have to worry about me embarrassing you.”

“That is a small comfort.” he said, turning back and pinning the huge double doors with a cold stare. Kaida rolled her eyes and looked behind her to where Rin was standing with Kentaro, their heads close together and the kit whispering something to her.

“Rin?”

“Yes?”

“Are you ready?”

“As ready as I’m going to get.” the girl said with a half grin. Kaida smiled and nodded, then straightened her stance when she heard the herald announce her name in conjunction with Sesshomaru’s.

Well, this ought to start some tongues wagging.’ she thought with a smirk when she took the Western Lord’s proffered arm and walked into the large hall. ’The mixed blooded dragon wench on the arm of Japan’s most feared Lord.’ They walked up the center of the room, past her gaping sisters and snickering brothers, and towards the three Lords who were seated on raised dais along the farthest wall. Kaida could see the varying looks on their faces when she and Sesshomaru gave a curt bow and moved off to the side together, as was tradition.

Her father looked absolutely stunned.

Ronin was trying to hide a grin.

And Haruto looked absolutely livid.

Rin came next, walking next to Kentaro, who looked like his mouth was about to fall off from grinning so much. The two of them stopped right in front of the seated Lords, and Kentaro bowed with her before them, then moved to the side to blend in with the rest of the crowd. The leader of the council moved forward, an eagle demon with a supremely annoyed and aggrieved expression on his face.

“You are here to assume your rightful position as a Lady of your Lands, and Lord Sesshomaru’s rightful heir.” he said calmly, even though Kaida could hear the waver of disgust in his voice. “Do you accept this duty?”

“I accept my duty to my Lord, and am ready to take my rightful place among the society which I was raised in the past decade.” Rin said, her voice calm and clear as a bell as it rang through the room proudly.

“Who in this room will back this young lady’s claim to the Western throne?” the councilman asked.

“The Southern family does.” Lord Ryu said sternly, standing up from his seated position.

“As does the Eastern family.” Lord Ronin said loudly. The council members seemed displeased if the murmurs through their ranks were any indication of such.

“Are there those who would disagree with this young woman’s placement among our ranks?” he called out. There was a surge in the murmuring throughout the room, but no one stepped forward to challenge Rin’s appointment. “And who is the one responsible for teaching this young woman the ways and traditions of our society?”

“I am.” Sesshomaru answered simply, coming to stand on Rin’s left side while Kaida went to her right. “I, Lord Sesshomaru of the inu-clan, Lord of the Western Lands.”

“And I.” she said, looking up at the council member who was about to burst a blood vessel in anger. “Lady Kaida of the ryu-clan of the Southern Lands, daughter of Lord Ryu and the late Lady Mina.”

“Very well then.” the head councilman said. “Young woman, do you agree to follow by the rules set forth of our society, to obey them and enforce them as you should? And do you understand that should you turn your back on your Lord, or ever be found guilty of treason against your Lord and liege, that you will be tried according to demon law, not human?”

“I understand completely.” Rin said firmly, glaring up at the councilman with a look of utter disgust that only a teenage girl could manage to create, yet still have utter respect in her voice. “I am aware of the laws and bylaws of the demon society of which I am entering. And as such, ready to accept any punishment should I do anything untrustworthy to my Lord and liege.” It was quite obvious that she saw straight through the attempt of intimidation on behalf of the head councilmen, and was standing her ground against their bigotry, determined to show them exactly who they were dealing with.

Kaida couldn’t have been prouder even if it was her own daughter standing there, silently daring the snobby demon to throw more half concealed threats her way. She’d had to undergo similar questioning when she’d been accepted into her father’s court, and knew exactly what was coming for the young human girl. But the council member seemed to be more than just a little perturbed.

“You do realize that you forfeit all independence and decisions over to your Lord, and that you will….”

“Councilman, I realize that I am not demon.” Rin said coldly, interrupting him before he could get started. “It is quite apparent that I have not a drop of demon blood in me, at least for anyone who would care to take their nose out of the air long enough to take a good look. I quite understand what I am getting myself into, and ready to do what I must in order to take my rightful position within my homelands. Do not make me repeat myself.”

The councilman seemed to loose some of the wind out of his sails when he noticed that not only was Rin giving him a good impression of the same glare the Western Lord was sending his way, but Kaida and Kentaro were just as angered by his purposely delayed acceptance of Rin among them. The eagle demon only nodded curtly, and then turned to the gathered assembly of demons.

“This young woman has accepted our laws as her own, and as such will be allowed to take her place among Lord Sesshomaru’s court.” he announced. “And until such time that a blood heir is provided, she will be the next in line to rule at the time that Lord Sesshomaru is no longer fit to do such. Since there were no objections, may I then present to my Lords and Ladies, Lady Rin of the Western Lands.”

---

“You did wonderful, Rin.” Kaida said when she finally managed to get to her student’s side. After the young woman’s appointment in front of the entire ruling demon community, dinner had been served, and now the nobles and courtiers were mingling around in the large hall, waltzing to the soft music, or just gossiping aimlessly. The young woman smiled and gave Kaida a hug.

“You’re the best.” she said. “You told me they were going to be after me, threatening and trying to scare me. But it didn’t work. I did just like you said and stood up for myself.”

“You put them in their place, Rin.” Kaida said with a chuckle. “That’s for sure. I just wanted to say congratulations. Now go on and mingle. Tonight is just for you, a time to commemorate your hard work.”

Rin smiled serenely and walked back to where she was talking with Yuri about something, quickly bringing the kitsune Lady up to date on whatever they were talking about before being dragged out onto the dance floor with Kentaro. Kaida scanned the room, searching for her family, and quickly spotted her father, brother, and Kaze speaking with some demon baring the cords of a merchant from the Eastern Lands. She had not seen her sisters since she’d escorted Rin to the ceremonies, and didn’t really want to see them to be blatantly honest.

“Well, if it isn’t our dear Kaida.” Kaze said with a grin. “All dressed up in the Western colors. Be careful, you’re going to start some rumors that’ll be hard to squash wearing something like that.”

“Father. Keiji. Kaze.” she said, nodding to the two younger demons and hugging her father in welcome, purposely ignoring her old friend‘s jibe. “It is good to see you.”

“Good to see you as well, my child.” her father said with a smile. “You look well.”

“I’m fine.”

“The young lady’s presentation went smoothly.” Kaze said. “I am surprised there were no protestors in the crowd.”

“There was.” Keiji pointed out. “But none of them wanted to challenge Sesshomaru’s word, so they kept quiet about it. Rumor had it that he was going to personally see to anyone who caused any trouble today.”

“I wouldn’t put it past him.” Kaida said with a shrug.

“Excuse me, Lady Kaida?” one of the servants asked, bowing apologetically. “Keisha would like to have a word with you concerning some of the preparations, if you would not mind.”

“Just a moment.” Kaida said. She looked back at her family and frowned. “I’ll be back later, and if I’m not, find me before you leave.”

“Will do, sis.” Keiji said, nodding as Kaida was led off by the servant, only to be swallowed up by the crowd.

A few moments passed, and Ryu saw their host coming towards them.

“Ah, Sesshomaru,” Ryu said, nodding in welcome. “Wonderful turnout, my old friend.”

“So it would seem.” he said, glaring at the very unwelcome face of Kaze. He’d seen Kaida come by the three men only minutes before hand, and was wondering where she had disappeared to so quickly. He scanned the hall as Ryu tried to draw him into a conversation about some trade route or another, but quickly spotted the exact person he was looking for.

“Excuse me, Ryu.” he said, interrupting whatever the Lord was saying. “It seems like I need to diffuse a situation before there is bloodshed in my halls.”

“Bloodshed?” Keiji asked. “What are you….”

But his question was answered when they spotted the Western Lord’s direction to where Kaida was being approached by Kiyoshi. The cat looked absolutely mutinous, and more than ready to take it out on Kaida.

---

Kaida could feel the most unwelcome aura coming towards her, and this time it was not Sesshomaru. She purposely ignored the presence of Kiyoshi, and continued speaking with some of the members of Sesshomaru’s staff near a secluded corner.

“Lady Kaida?” came a smooth voice. “May I have a word?”

“Excuse me, gentlemen.” Kaida said, nodding as the two demons walked away to give them some privacy. She turned to look at the cat, and could honestly tell that he was on the verge of cracking. She had not seen him in months, since the last meeting when she’d been ambushed near the border. She frowned at him and backed further into the blind spot, knowing an argument was about to ensue, and not wanting to disrupt the festivities. “Kiyoshi.”

“What are you doing?” he demanded in a quietly fierce voice.

“Excuse me?”

“Parading around like you’ve taken the Western Lands as your home, like you’ve taken Sesshomaru as your mate?” he growled.

“I done this for Rin.” she answered coldly. “Sesshomaru has nothing to do with why I stood at Rin’s side today! She asked, he approved, and I accepted. That’s all there is to it.” Kiyoshi growled ferally and reached out to grab her shoulder, claws extended, only to miss when she quickly stepped to the side.

“You will NOT embarrass me like this in front of our society!” he hissed. “I am your mate. Not that stupid mutt.”

“That stupid mutt is twice the demon you are, you pathetic bastard!” Kaida said icily, not exactly realizing that she was defending him. “And as far as what…”

“Is there a problem, Lady Kaida? Kiyoshi?” Sesshomaru’s voice asked, causing Kiyoshi to immediately drop his hand to his side, and causing his growl to disappear.

“Nothing I couldn’t take care of.” Kaida said formally, straightening her shoulders imperiously. “Isn’t that right, Kiyoshi?”

“Something like that.” he bit out. Sesshomaru simply regarded the two of them with an impassive face before settling on Kaida.

“Well, if you are done, there is someone whom is requesting Lady Kaida’s presence.” he replied, offering his arm to Kaida, who smirked at Kiyoshi before accepting it and walking to his side.

“We shouldn’t keep them waiting, should we, my Lord?” she asked. “Lead the way.” The Western Lord nodded as if nothing was wrong, and led her away from the corner where she had secluded herself. When they were safely on the other side of the room, she spoke again. “I didn’t do it. He started it.”

“I am aware of that.” Sesshomaru said impassively. “Which is why I intervened before there was bloodshed in my hall.”

“I wasn’t going to attack him right in the middle of the room.” she said with a frown.

“I would hope not.”

“I’d at least make him go outside.”

“Undoubtedly.” he said, leading her towards a vacant area in the area on the dance floor. Kaida followed along, slipping her hand into his own as the opening chords of her family‘s court waltz pervaded the air around them. “A problem has arisen.”

“Problem? Is Rin okay?” she asked quietly.

“She is fine.” he said. “It is your security that is being threatened.”

“Me?” she asked.

“Word has been circulating that Kiyoshi intends to attack tonight, forcibly taking you back with him.”

“What’s his hurry?” Kaida growled lightly. “I’ll be going to the North in two months anyway. Why’ve I got to go now, all of a sudden? Besides, the Lord’s meeting is in two days in the East. He wouldn’t dare do anything now, would he?”

“I do not know. But I have relayed the message to both your father and my guards. Do not allow yourself to become isolated with any members of the Northern family tonight.” he ordered, twirling her around as they moved. “Stick by the mutt’s side if you must.”

“Mutt’s….who are you talking about?” she asked.

“The merchant who traveled with your father.”

“Kaze?”

“If that is his name, then yes.”

“You know damn good and well what his name is.” Kaida said with a frown.

“That does not mean I have to use it.” he said coldly. Kaida rolled her eyes and they finished the dance out, then separated. It was only the beginning of the evening, and she already had enough small crisis to handle to keep her busy well into the night.

She spared Rin a quick glance as she passed by, only to find the girl dancing with Kentaro, a big grin on her face.

‘Well, at least someone is having a good evening.’ she thought with a grin. ‘It’s time for me to make sure the rest of this day goes off without a hitch.’

---

A/N - Hey, hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please remember to review, as I want to know what you think.

Later,

A.A.