InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.

Temple of the Dog - Chapter 6

Inuyasha stared at Kagome while Miroku smiled and made himself comfortable on one of the stone benches.

"I didn't do anything wrong…" Kagome's voice caught in her throat. The way Inuyasha was looking at her was unnerving.

The deity shook his head, his expression relaxing. "Nobody thinks you did anything wrong. It's just that a lot of strange things all happened at the same time, and the fact that you came here and unsealed me at the same day…"

Of course. Too many mysteries made people nervous. Kagome sighed and sat on a stone bench across from Miroku. Inuyasha lowered himself to the stone floor and sat with his legs crossed, not looking at either the priest or priestess.

"Go ahead, Kagome." Miroku smiled at the priestess and motioned for her to speak.

"I think I already told you that my grandfather is an assistant priest at the temple of Osiris near the pharaoh's palace. Our home is not far from the temple. My family has been with the temple since my grandfather was a young boy. My mother even served as a temple singer when she was younger. It has been my grandfather's dream for me to become a priestess, even though not too many temples use priestesses. They are usually only found at temples for female deities. Or, in the case of this temple, at ones where there is a living deity."

Miroku nodded. He knew that this was perhaps the only temple in existence with a living deity. The added need for a priestess came because of the deity's own, personal needs. He smirked when he thought of what duties he would find for a priestess if he were a deity.

Inuyasha gave the priest a warning look. It was obvious that the perverted priest was thinking inappropriate things by the way his gaze traveled over Kagome.

Kagome shifted her position on the hard bench. "Well, I grew up spending much time at the temple with my grandfather. The priests would find small chores for me to do. I think they wanted me to feel important. They even taught me how to read and write.

"The temple of Osiris was almost like a second home to me. I know that my grandfather wanted me to become a priestess, so he made sure I was taught everything I would need to know."

Miroku interrupted. "Why, then, were you not already a priestess at another temple?"

Kagome shrugged. "I did visit several temples that were in need of a priestess. They just didn't feel right to me. Oh, it wasn't like there was anything wrong with them. I just didn't feel I was the right one to be the priestess there. It wouldn't be right to take the position of priestess at a temple you didn't feel a strong loyalty to."

Again Miroku nodded.

Kagome took a deep breath and looked at Inuyasha. However, the deity seemed distracted. He stared at nothing and seemed to be deep in thought. Was he even listening to what she said?

"As I got older, I spent less time at the temple. However, I would still visit my grandfather there. I even helped with the celebrations at the temple. I'm not a singer like my mother, but I have acted as temple singer when one was needed.

"Recently there was a great celebration at the temple. Word was that the pharaoh himself would be attending. Naturally, the priests needed all the help they could get preparing the temple. I helped with the cleaning and decorating and then even filled in as one of the temple singers.

"Everyone was nervous and excited. It isn't often that the pharaoh goes to a temple. Usually the priests are expected to visit the palace.

"The celebration began and the temple was full of people. Most of the people were asked to leave while the pharaoh was there. However, since I was helping at the temple, I was allowed to stay. The pharaoh arrived and came into the temple with his personal guard.

"I can't explain it. There was something wrong with him. My grandfather tells me I have a gift. I can see the darkness in a person's heart. I couldn't even go near the pharaoh. The feeling of darkness was too great.

"However, the pharaoh noticed me. He spoke with my grandfather, who naturally bragged about me to the pharaoh." Kagome shook her head. Her grandfather was always embarrassing her when he spoke to others. This time, however, it caused her more than embarrassment.

Kagome paused and looked from the smiling priest to the sullen deity.

"I didn't think too much about it until a couple of days later when one of the pharaoh's personal advisors arrived at our home. He had come with several of pharaoh's guards to invite me to the palace. I really didn't want to go, but my grandfather wouldn't allow me to refuse. So, I went to the palace.

"I've never been to the palace before. It's extremely large and very ornate. Not the kind of place I feel comfortable in to begin with, but thinking about how the pharaoh had made me feel at the temple didn't help. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Except that when they led me to the chamber where the pharaoh holds his audiences…"

Inuyasha shifted and looked at the priestess. Her soft voice had changed. He could hear the fear and stress rising as she spoke. He longed to comfort her, but kept his distance. The truth needed to be told.

"Except for the pharaoh, his advisor, and a couple of the pharaoh's guard, the room was empty. I don't think I've ever felt more uncomfortable in my life. When he told me to come forward I wanted to scream. But, I knew I couldn't do anything that would make my family look bad. I walked up to where he sat on his throne. I could feel the darkness but couldn't do anything about it.

"Pharaoh told me that I was to move into the palace. Not only did he need my abilities as a priestess, but that he wished to make me his concubine. Some women would have thought the proposition was an honor. It just made me feel dirty. The thought of that man touching me…"

Kagome lowered her eyes. Tears welled in them, threatening to fall. She didn't even notice when Inuyasha moved from his position on the floor to sit near her on the bench.

"The guards took me home to pack my belongings and say goodbye to my family. I didn't know what else to do, so I ran away. I wasn't even sure where I was going. Something led me here. I remembered my grandfather talking about this temple. I don't know why, but it seemed to draw me."

Kagome could no longer hold back the tears. She buried her face in her hands and sobbed softly. She was surprised when she felt a hand on her arm. Inuyasha leaned toward her.

"It's all right. You didn't do anything wrong. You're safe here."

Kagome did feel safe with him next to her. She turned and leaned against his shoulder, borrowing his strength. Inuyasha didn't pull away. He closed his eyes, forcing himself to maintain his distance. However, his resolve was being tested to its limits.

Miroku cleared his throat and excused himself, noting that it was nearly time for their dinner to arrive and that he would watch for it. He stood up and pushed open one of the large temple doors, closing it behind him after he stepped outside.

Damn that priest, Inuyasha thought. With Miroku in the room, he was able to control his desire to comfort Kagome. With the priest gone, he could feel his resolve crumbling.

Kagome sat up and pulled back, obviously embarrassed.

"My lord, forgive me. I shouldn't have…" She quickly ran to her make-shift chambers and chided herself for having been so familiar with Inuyasha. He was the deity, after all, and she was only a priestess.

Inuyasha sat passively and watched Kagome run to her chambers. His instincts told him to follow her, but his resolve held firm and he sat unmoving on the stone bench. The priestess's scent clung to him and he closed his eyes, once again taking it in. She was so beautiful. So gentle. He would keep his distance, but he would also protect her from the pharaoh.

He touched his arm where she had leaned on him. The lingering wetness of her tears coated his fingers and he raised his hand to his mouth and tasted their saltiness. Inuyasha closed his eyes tightly and fought the urge to go to Kagome. He could hear her from her chambers. Her sobs were growing softer, finally stopping as she fell asleep.

Inuyasha walked to his chamber. He paused and looked at the screens that shielded Kagome from his view before turning and entering his own chamber.

A short time later Miroku entered the temple, carrying a cooking pot. He glanced around the empty main chamber before moving to the small altar where he set down their evening meal. He wasn't sure if he should disturb Kagome so he decided to serve himself. He finished eating before he walked to her chambers and knocked on the wooden screens that served as her walls.

Kagome stirred at the noise. She sat up and looked around, her dream still fresh in her mind. The dark wooden screens that served as her room loomed before her. She heard Miroku calling softly to her that their dinner had arrived and that she would have to hurry if she wanted to eat it while it was still hot.

The priestess quickly slipped on her sandals and walked into the main chamber. She thanked Miroku for letting her know their meal was there and quickly filled a plate. She hesitated a moment before standing up and walking to the door to Inuyasha's chambers. How could she face him after she had overstepped her place as his priestess?

"Come in." Inuyasha's voice startled her. She hadn't spoken, but he knew she was there.

The priestess moved aside the hanging mat and stepped into the deity's chambers. He sat on the edge of the bed, looking at her without expression. Kagome wasn't sure what to do so she moved to set the food on the low table by the bed.

"Bring a plate for yourself." Inuyasha's voice was low and almost monotone.

Kagome looked surprised. "My lord? Perhaps you would rather I not stay."

"I said for you to bring a plate for yourself."

Kagome nodded and left the room, returning moments later with a plate of food and two cups of fresh water. She sat the cups on the table. Inuyasha had already taken his plate and was waiting for her to sit down.

She moved to the edge of the bed, sitting farther towards the foot than before. It was difficult enough to be here with him, especially after what happened earlier. She wondered if he was angry about her actions.

"My lord, I'm sorry about the way I behaved earlier. Perhaps the temple would be better off with a different priestess." Kagome felt like her heart was in her throat. She didn't want to leave, but was sure she would be dismissed.

"Your place is here at this temple." Inuyasha kept his gaze averted from Kagome. Each moment she was near him was like torture. But, he knew he would have to be strong.

Kagome felt like a weight had been lifted from her. "Thank you, my lord. I assure you that I won't do anything so inappropriate in the future."

Inuyasha could remember the taste of her tears. Why did he have to be distant when he wanted nothing more than to comfort her? He glanced down to the spot where the arrow had once pierced him and the memory served as a reminder. He would have to stay strong. The last time he trusted someone, it had ended in tragedy. It would be difficult, but he would have to keep his distance from the priestess.

They sat quietly and ate. When they both had finished. Kagome stood up to leave.

"Thank you." Inuyasha's voice was still void of emotion.

Kagome took the plates back to the main chamber and washed them. She finished her duties and got ready for bed. "Goodnight, Inuyasha," she whispered as she made herself as comfortable as she could on the hard cot.

Inuyasha couldn't help but smile to himself in his chambers. He knew the priestess had not intended for him to hear, but apparently she wasn't aware just how sensitive his hearing was. He found himself whispering back to her, "Goodnight, Kagome."

It was late at the palace when the young woman was ushered into the pharaoh's audience chamber. She looked around worriedly until she spotted the man lounging on the throne at the end of the room. She quickly walked to a spot just below the raised throne.

"What's going on?" she demanded.

The pharaoh looked at her, taking in her foreign attire and the six foot tall boomerang that she carried with her.

"So, you are the youkai exterminator?" the pharaoh asked her.

"My name is Sango. Yes, I'm a youkai exterminator. I was called here by your men." The young woman motioned to several of the pharaoh's guard who appeared to have recently been in a fight.

The pharaoh smiled. Good, she appeared to be exactly what was needed for the job at hand.

"I am in need of your services." The pharaoh's smile held a hint of something.

Sango scowled at him. "What makes you think I'm interested?"

So, she would need some convincing. He motioned to his advisor who opened a small box and took out something. He handed the item to Sango.

"Where did you get this?" she gasped. It was a metal face mask almost exactly like the one that hung from her waist. The only difference was the color of the cloth strap. Where hers was red, the mask in her hand had a green strap.

"I like to think of it as insurance," the pharaoh laughed softly.

No, thought Sango. Surely it couldn't be so.

"Your brother will be safe as long as you do what is needed." The pharaoh laughed again. It was an evil laugh that made Sango uncomfortable.

"Where is Kohaku? I want to see him first." Sango's voice shook with anger.

"You will see him soon enough. First, you have a job to do. I understand you are considered to be one of the best at what you do."

The pharaoh motioned to his advisor, who stepped forward and told Sango that he would fill her in on the details. He walked to the entrance of the room, waiting as she followed him. She looked back over her shoulder and saw the pharaoh talking to one of his guards.

She would do what was required of her. However, once Kohaku was returned safely to her, she would make that man pay.

"By what name does the pharaoh call himself?" Sango asked in a soft voice.

"He is called Naraku," the advisor told her. She was led to a small room where the details of her duties would be given to her.

Inuyasha continued to be distant and moody the next day. Kagome did her chores around the temple and greeted worshippers when they came. She took Inuyasha his breakfast and lunch, staying to eat with him at his request, although he hardly spoke otherwise. Miroku fought with the never ending task of clearing the spare chamber.

Inuyasha escorted Kagome to the river after the last of the afternoon worshippers had returned to the village. He made certain that he couldn't see her bathing, although for the first time he thought he could understand a little of Miroku's ways. He waited for her to dress and follow him, making sure to keep his eyes focused on the path ahead.

Deity and priestess entered the temple to find Miroku busy writing on some papyrus.

"What the hell are you writing now?" Inuyasha demanded.

Miroku looked at the deity apologetically. "I thought I would write a letter to inform the necessary authorities about the disappearance of Kikyou's mummy."

"And exactly how are you going to get the letter to them?"

"We have many worshippers who travel from other places, my lord," Miroku explained. "When I find one who traveling near the letter's destination, I simply ask them to deliver it."

"Feh! And how do you know the letter will be delivered?"

"I don't know for sure. However, I have never had one that didn't arrive safely at its destination. You need to remember that the worshippers see this as an honor. They would not accept the letter if they didn't intend on seeing it properly delivered."

Kagome looked hopeful. "Do you think I could have a letter delivered to my family? My grandfather would be able to receive it at the temple of Osiris in the city of the pharaoh."

Miroku smiled at Kagome, glad to see her happy for the first time in several days.

"Of course. You will have to write it and have it properly addressed. Then, when we find someone who will be going that way we can ask them to deliver it for you."

"I'll write it right away." Kagome quickly took out some papyrus and a quill. She borrowed some ink from Miroku and started writing excitedly.

"Women don't know how to write," Inuyasha argued. However, he watched her over her shoulder. She appeared to know what she was doing.

Miroku looked at Kagome's papyrus. "Not only can she write, but she has excellent penmanship."

Inuyasha scowled.

Miroku laughed. "You don't know how to write, do you, my lord?"

"Of course I know how to write. I just don't write the same way you do." Inuyasha growled at the priest.

"And exactly what is that supposed to mean?" Miroku prodded.

Inuyasha took a piece of papyrus and a quill. He dipped the quill into the ink and wrote three strange symbols on the paper. "There. That's my name."

Miroku and Kagome looked confused. They had no idea what the symbols were supposed to be.

"Pardon me, my lord, but this is how you write your name." Kagome wrote some hieroglyphics below Inuyasha's strange symbols.

"Well, then they both say my name." He sulked off to his chambers without another word.

Kagome studied the strange markings that Inuyasha had written. After she finished writing her letter to her grandfather, she looked at the deity's strange writing again and started trying to copy it. She was still practicing the strange symbols when their evening meal arrived.

"I have your food, Inuyasha." Kagome spoke softly from outside his chamber door.

"Come in."

Kagome moved the mat aside and entered. Inuyasha was sprawled across the bed. He looked warily up at her as she approached.

She set his plate in the usual place. "I thought you might like to see this. I know I don't write it as well as you do, but maybe in time…"

Inuyasha sat up and looked at the piece of papyrus the priestess held out to him. Written in her delicate handwriting was his name. However, it was not in hieroglyphics but in the strange writing Inuyasha had used earlier.

"You wrote this?" He studied the writing. Kagome had managed to almost master the three symbols in the short time she practiced them.

Kagome just nodded, hoping she hadn't made him angry.

Inuyasha carefully placed the sheet of papyrus on the bed behind him.

"Bring a plate for yourself."

Kagome caught a glimpse of his face when she was leaving the room, surprised to see that he was smiling. She quickly filled a plate for herself and returned to Inuyasha's chamber. Again, the two sat quietly while they ate.

When Kagome took his empty plate, Inuyasha looked at her. "Can I keep it?"

"What? You mean the papyrus? Oh, sure. I know I didn't write it very well, but I just thought you might want to see it."

Kagome turned to leave, pausing at the door when she could have sworn she heard Inuyasha whisper Good night, Kagome. She looked over her shoulder, but the deity was laying on the bed, looking up at the ceiling.

She shrugged. Wishful thinking, she thought to herself. She called softly as she left the room, "Goodnight, Inuyasha."

She finished her evening chores and cleaned up for bed. Miroku was already asleep when Kagome went to her cubicle for the night. For once she fell asleep quickly, dreaming about the mysterious deity who slept in the chamber only a few feet from where she slept.

Kagome woke up feeling more rested than she had in a while. She quickly dressed for the day and went to the small altar to pick out some fruit and cheese for their breakfast. She noticed one of the doors of the temple stood partway open so she pushed it open further and stepped outside.

The sun was just coming up, casting reddish gold rays across the temple. The priestess didn't see anyone so she walked around the temple.

There, sitting on a large rock and staring pensively at Kikyou's empty tomb was Inuyasha. He appeared to not have heard Kagome as she approached, but before she could say anything he glared at her.

"I want to be left alone. Can't you understand that?"

After the quiet meals they had shared over the past few days, Kagome was confused. It was almost like he didn't remember.

"Pardon me, my lord." Kagome turned and quickly went back into the temple, setting out two plates for Inuyasha and Miroku and taking her food back into her small cubicle. The look the deity had given her continued to haunt her. She sat on the edge of her cot, staring at her plate but not eating.

Kagome looked up when she heard a tapping on one of her screens.

"Can I come in?" Inuyasha's voice sounded strained.

"Yes." Kagome glanced around, not certain how she should receive him in her small, make-shift room.

Inuyasha slid one of the screens aside and stepped into the small room. He made a note to himself to speak to Miroku about the spare chamber. With all the work the priest was doing in it, perhaps it could soon be clear enough for the priestess to have her own room.

Kagome continued to look at her plate. She couldn't bring herself to look at him, fearing that he would have the same expression that he had by Kikyou's tomb.

"Kagome." His voice was soft. He sounded almost sad.

She looked up, but couldn't read his expression in the near darkness. The screens shielded her room from the light of the torches and the fire that always burned in a pit in the main chamber. There was something about the way he held himself. For once, his shoulders appeared to be slumped. There was no air of arrogance about him.

"I was trying to find something. Anything that might lead us to the people who took Kikyou's mummy." Again, his voice remained monotone. It was an explanation, not an apology.

"Did you find anything?"

"No. Nothing. There is no trace of scent from the ones who did this. If we had discovered it sooner, perhaps…" Inuyasha stood motionless.

Kagome felt a lump forming in her throat. She feared to hear the answer, but felt compelled to ask the question. "You really cared about Kikyou, didn't you?"

Inuyasha reacted in surprise. He stood silently for a moment more before turning to leave Kagome's chamber. "Yes."

Kagome watched him leave. The screen was slid back into place and she continued to stare at the place Inuyasha had stood only a moment before. She had been right. He had cared about Kikyou. Could he have been in love with the temple's first priestess?

Inuyasha remained in his chambers for the rest of day. Miroku suspected that this would not be a good time to disturb the deity, so he made an excuse to travel to the village. He told the priestess as he left that he would be back in time for the evening meal.

Kagome watched as the heavy wooden door closed behind the priest and turned to view the main chamber. She was effectively alone. Inuyasha would certainly be sulking in his chambers for the rest of the day, and she didn't even have the distraction of Miroku's humor to pass the time.

The priestess sighed and took out some heavy scrolls. She didn't feel like reading, but figured she had nothing better to do. Perhaps she could find something of interest in the old writings.

She was deep in thought as she read the faded hieroglyphics. She was startled when Inuyasha sat on the bench not far from her.

"You're a lot like her."

"Huh?" Kagome looked at Inuyasha, not sure what he meant.

"You are a lot like Kikyou, but different, too. She was quiet and very serious all the time. You, well, you are…" He shrugged, not knowing how to word what he wanted to say. He looked at Kagome. "You're just different."

"I'm sorry, " Kagome fought the urge to go to him. For him, Kikyou's betrayal had just happened. The fifty years he was sealed had been like a night asleep. Then, to have awakened to find out that Kikyou had died. She couldn't help but wonder how he was taking it as well as he was.

"You didn't do anything. I just thought you needed to know about Kikyou."

The deity stood up and walked to his chambers without another word.

Kagome stared at the door to Inuyasha's chambers for several minutes before turning back to the scrolls. She tried to focus on the words in front of her, but they seemed to blur and she couldn't pay attention. She sat silently, thinking about Inuyasha's words.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the large wooden door of the temple. She opened it to the awkward teenage boy who had been coming with their meals. Once again he carried a large clay pot filled with a savory stew. Kagome thanked the boy and took the meal into the temple. She wasn't sure if Inuyasha would want her to bring his meal. She took out two plates and was ready to fill them when she heard a sound behind her.

"I'm surprised the priest hasn't already eaten half of the food."

Kagome shook her head. "He went into the village this morning and said he would be back in time for the evening meal."

"Meaning we'll have some peace and quiet. If he doesn't stop all the noise coming from the other chamber I'm going to clobber him."

Kagome smiled. Inuyasha's mood seemed to have lightened, at least for the moment.

Inuyasha filled one of the plates with food and sat crossed-legged on the floor. Kagome served herself and returned to her spot on the stone bench. The deity sat scarcely an arm's length from the priestess. She found it difficult to eat with him so close.

They ate in silence. Kagome found herself watching Inuyasha as he ate. It was funny, but she had never really noticed before that he appeared to only be a year or two older than herself. Of course, a deity was ageless and he could have been much older than he appeared.

One of his ears twitched, catching the priestess's attention. She remembered the first time she saw him. His ears had intrigued her then, and now she found it difficult to keep from touching them. Without thinking, she allowed one hand to reach out and touch the soft velveteen ear that was closest to her.

Inuyasha sat motionless. He closed his eyes, fighting the urges Kagome's touches were stirring. He had allowed nobody else to touch his ears like this, so why was he just sitting there, letting the priestess caress one of them? Her touch was gentle, hesitant. He could hear her heart beating faster as she carefully rubbed his ear between her fingers. What was she feeling?

Kagome gasped softly and quickly pulled her hand back. How could she have been so bold? She glanced at Inuyasha, but he acted like he hadn't noticed. He finished his food and stood up suddenly.

"You can set the plate on the altar. I'll wash it when I wash mine." The priestess spoke to his back. She realized that he hadn't looked at her since he sat down to eat. She worried that she had angered him.

"I'll be in my chambers." Inuyasha paused and then turned to look at Kagome. There was something unreadable in his expression. His voice remained monotone. "Tell me when you want to go to the river to bathe." Then he was gone, disappearing into the depths of his private chambers.

Kagome sat and stared. He didn't appear to be angry. In fact, there was something about the look on his face that startled her. Had he actually enjoyed her playing with his ear? Silly girl, she told herself. She was setting herself up for disappointment. After all, Inuyasha was in love with Kikyou. To him, time had stood still and the wounds were fresh. It would take him time to get over her, if he ever did.

She quickly cleaned up the remains of their lunch and went back to reading the old scrolls. She rolled each one up as she finished with it, stacking them under the bench. When she had rolled the last scroll, she stood up and stretched. She was stiff from sitting on a hard surface for so long, and when she looked down she noticed that her robes were covered in dust.

These can't wait until tonight. I'm going to have to change out of them and wash them, she thought to herself. She went to her chambers and took a fresh set of robes. As if reading her mind, Inuyasha appeared at his chamber door.

"I'd like to go down to the river now, " she said quietly.

The deity just nodded. He picked up two apples from the small altar as he passed it and followed Kagome out of the temple and into the afternoon sunlight.

The walk to the river wasn't long, but the two walked in silence. Kagome was grateful to be out of the stuffy temple. The weather was perfect, and she enjoyed the feeling of the sun on her skin. A slight breeze sifted through her hair.

"I'll race you to the river," she said mischievously as she began to run.

Inuyasha grunted and took off, reaching the river before she had traveled a fraction of the distance.

He stood looking up and down the river, checking for signs of danger. When Kagome reached the bank, he glanced at her.

"I don't see any trouble, but be sure to keep your eyes open." He then leapt onto a large boulder and sat down with his back to her.

Kagome quickly slipped out of her dirty robes and into the cool water. It felt good to be out of the dark temple and in the warm sun. The priestess splashed around in the water, enjoying herself for a few minutes before feeling guilty at having made Inuyasha wait for her. She quickly scrubbed herself clean, diving under the water one last time to rinse her hair and body.

She quickly slipped out of the water and into her clean robes.

"I'm going to wash out my other robes. You don't have to wait for me if you don't want to." Kagome glanced up at Inuyasha. He turned to look at her before jumping down from the rock.

An apple spun through the air at the priestess. She caught it and looked at her deity in confusion.

"For you to eat. I'll be right back." Inuyasha sprinted upstream a few yards to where a bush hid the bank. He ducked down behind the bush so that Kagome couldn't see him.

Suddenly she heard a splash. Kagome nearly laughed when she saw Inuyasha in the river. The only thing visible was his head, and of course his hair, which streamed in all directions around him.

"You look like a giant water lily with your hair like that," she laughed.

Inuyasha ducked under the water, surfacing closer to where Kagome was washing her robes.

The priestess acted like she didn't notice him, scrubbing at a small stain in her robe. Suddenly a cascade of water hit her.

"What the…?"

Inuyasha ducked back under the water and swam back upstream, getting out of the water behind the bush and dressing before he returned to where Kagome stood.

She was drenched from his moment of playfulness and he realized that the walk back to the temple would proved to be a real test of his resolve.

"It's time to head back, " he said in his monotone voice.

Kagome nodded and followed him, suddenly aware that his kilt clung to his body after his swim. She had to force herself to look ahead as they walked.

Miroku had returned while they were at the river. He looked at them curiously as they walked into the temple. The sun and breeze had dried their clothing while they walked. However, there was something about the way the two were acting that caught the priest's attention. It was as if they were pointedly looking at anything but each other.

He started to say something but held his tongue when he saw Inuyasha's expression.

The priest smiled to himself. He didn't need to ask them to know that something had happened. Again. He had become painfully aware that Kagome was off limits. Oh well, he would have to try his luck with the young ladies of the village. Although, most knew him by his reputation and he didn't hold much hope there.

"There's hot food on the altar." Miroku had already eaten so he grabbed a torch and headed to the depths of the spare chamber, leaving Inuyasha and Kagome alone.