InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.

Temple of the Dog - Chapter 12

Kagome had been surprised at the wall tumbling down in front of her. Before she could react, several of the pharaoh's guard had lunged at her. One placed a cloth soaked in a foul-smelling liquid over her nose and mouth. It only took a couple of breaths for the potion to take effect and she fell into unconsciousness.

She was thrown across the shoulder of one of the guards who made a hasty retreat while his companions made sure that Sango would not follow. They had only been instructed to take Kagome. The guard made his way in the direction of the palace, joined by the rest after only a moment. Kagura flew overhead on an oversized feather, dropping down to the level of the guards long enough to take Kagome from them. Once Kagome was placed on the feather with her, she quickly directed it skyward and in the direction of the palace.

"Ah, so you have returned. And, I see you were successful in taking the girl," Naraku chuckled as Kagura presented her prize to the pharaoh.

"I did only as you wished, my lord," she said.

The pharaoh made his way to the sleeping woman. Her hands had been secured behind her back and a heavy rope held her ankles together. He reached down and moved a strand of hair that had fallen across her face. Yes, she was indeed beautiful. An added bonus to her obvious power. Luckily her powers were still latent - she had not yet discovered them herself or he would have had much more difficulty having her brought to him. Of course, he would eventually absorb her and those powers. In the meantime, though, he found his thoughts seeking a more physical outlet. Yes, she would make a fine concubine until he either tired of her or felt need of her powers. Then, she would become one with him.

He sensed Kikyou's approach and spoke without looking up. "As you can see, since you refused me all those years ago, I have found a replacement for you. Unlike you, she is truly alive and warm to the touch. And, she possesses powers that rival your own."

Kikyou narrowed her eyes and studied Kagome's motionless body.

"You give her no chance to refuse you, having her brought to you unconscious and bound."

Naraku turned and gave Kikyou an angry stare. "Once again, I remind you that it is unwise to anger your pharaoh." He motioned for the guards to move Kagome to a low bed that had been placed just to the side of the raised area for the throne. Her bound hands and feet were secured to it with straps.

"You may leave," he instructed Kikyou.

The priestess glared at the pharaoh and stormed from the chamber. He watched her retreating figure before ascending once again to his throne.

Naraku looked up in surprise from his place on his throne as Inuyasha blasted through the chamber doors. He narrowed his eyes and stood up, signaling to his guards to grab Inuyasha. The guards weren't enough. The deity grabbed one and swung him into several more of the approaching guards, sending the group of them sprawling on the hard floor. He flexed his hand and yelled, " Sankon tessou!" A barrage of energy shards ripped through the next wave of guards, blasting them backwards, full of cuts. Inuyasha turned to the next wave, quickly taking them out of the way. He leaped high over the motionless bodies of the guards and landed in a crouch near the foot of the raised throne.

The pharaoh smirked at Inuyasha. "Well, you are stronger than I would have thought for a hanyou."

Inuyasha glared at Naraku. "Don't worry, I'm stronger than you. And, I'll just have to prove that if you don't release Kagome."

Naraku raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Kagome? What do you know about Kagome?"

"You know damn well that she's my temple's priestess," Inuyasha snarled as he slowly stood and fisted and flexed his hand. The threatening move was lost on the pharaoh.

"Well, well. So that is where she has been. I had heard your temple had acquired a new priestess, but the possibility of it being Kagome never crossed my mind…" His words hung in the air as he glanced over his shoulder to where Kagome's bound body lay. Kagura stood over her, one hand holding her fan while the other reached down to grab the priestess's arm and pull her roughly to a standing position.

Kagome was still groggy from the potion that had been used to knock her out. The room swam around her in swirls of color while the voices were distorted and unidentifiable. She fought her way back to consciousness, only to realize that her hands and feet were bound and a gag had been placed over her mouth. Kagura shoved her roughly towards the front of the throne platform, allowing Inuyasha to see her prisoner.

"Damn you, let her go," he demanded as he moved towards her.

Kagura answered by waving her fan in his direction. The wave of wind, coupled with razor sharp energy bolts pushed him back. He planted himself against the blast and moved forward again, oblivious to the rips and cuts her attack had left on his clothing and body. He readied himself to attack but paused when Kagura moved Kagome in front of her. There was no way he could attack without hurting Kagome.

Naraku laughed from his perch as he watched Inuyasha clench his hand in frustration.

"What's the matter? Is the powerful deity too weak to defeat such a lowly youkai?"

Kagura glared at Naraku. His taunts and insults since she had been created by him had become more than she could handle. Soon, she thought to herself. If only this living deity could be strong enough to defeat the pharaoh. She glanced at the girl who had begun to squirm against her grip. Perhaps she could use the priestess to her own advantage. "Quit struggling, bitch, or you'll get us all killed," she hissed into Kagome's ear.

Naraku looked past Inuyasha, his gaze following someone who had entered the chamber.

"Finally. I have warned you about not responding to my summons more quickly," the threat in his voice unmistakable.

Inuyasha could detect a scent that was both familiar and disgusting at the same time. He spun around to face the figure coming out of the shadows.

"Kikyou?" Surely he was seeing things. He was told that the priestess had died fifty years before. It was impossible for her to be there.

"Inuyasha," Kikyou's voice oozed with hatred as she faced him. "I sealed you in your temple. I should have killed you then."

Naraku laughed again. "So, you meet again." He looked from one to the other, obviously pleased with Inuyasha's reaction.

"Kikyou," Inuyasha repeated. "This isn't possible. She died fifty years ago!" He turned to glare at Naraku, who smirked.

"Nothing is beyond my powers, hanyou. I am pharaoh." Naraku's voice was laced with sarcasm.

"Inuyasha." Kikyou hissed at him while she lunged in his direction.

The deity grabbed her by the shoulders. "Why, Kikyou? Why do you hate me?"

"Damn you, Inuyasha. I loved you. But you wouldn't love me in return. I only wanted to be with you." She looked up at him, her eyes dark and full of hatred. "You could have simply refused my affection. But, you chose to attack me. I died because of you."

Inuyasha shook his head. "I never touched you, Kikyou. I don't know why you think I would hurt you. You were my friend…"

"Friend? Is that how you treat a friend?" Kikyou pushed aside the collar of her robe to show the dark scar that marred her otherwise alabaster skin.

Inuyasha shook her shoulders lightly. "I never touched you, Kikyou. I was at the temple that entire day. You left to tend to the wounded thief. The temple priest followed you a short time later. We were worried about you. There was something about that thief that didn't seem right."

Naraku chuckled from his position on the raised throne. "So, you think there was something wrong with the thief?"

A commotion at the back of the room drew their attention. The doors had been kicked in, admitting Miroku and Sango. The two knocked away several guards and moved towards the throne.

"I see that you have failed me," Naraku leered at Sango. "Pity that your brother will have to pay for your failure." The pharaoh motioned to a guard who stood in the shadows. The man turned and retreated through a hidden doorway.

Sango pushed forward. "You told me lies. I was sent to destroy an evil youkai, but found that I had been tricked. Inuyasha is not the foul creature you made him out to be."

Naraku laughed. "So, he has bewitched you, too. Pity. I had counted on you to rid me of this annoyance."

"And you, priest. You think to use your air void against me? Do you not know how the curse came to be in your family. It was I, Naraku, who gifted your grandfather with his air void. The damned priest didn't know how to keep his nose out of other people's business." Naraku leered at Miroku.

He was the cause of the curse? Miroku glared at the pharaoh. How dare Naraku come to Inuyasha's temple when he knew what he had done to the priest and his family.

Dozens of guards rushed into the room. They came from alcoves in the wall and through the broken chamber door, each carrying a weapon and wearing armor.

Sango and Miroku turned to face those coming from the main door, their backs to each other as they lashed out at their attackers. Sango stepped away from Miroku in order to swing her boomerang, taking out half a dozen guards in one blow. Miroku met another group and sent them sprawling one by one onto the hard, marble floor.

Just as they turned to face the next group of guards, a swarm of hideous looking creatures flew into the room.

"Youkai!" Sango shouted as she continued her defense. Miroku grabbed the sword from a fallen soldier and started to hack at the creatures that attacked them mindlessly. His attacks seemed useless against the creatures.

"Those are youkai, " Sango explained. "They can't always be killed with normal weapons. Mine is made from the bones of a youkai, so it has special ability against them."

Sango continued to attack as many of the creatures as she could, but large numbers swarmed past her and towards Inuyasha.

The deity turned to face his new challenge, his claws ripping through them and leaving them in pieces on the stone floor. However, for every one he destroyed, it seemed that two more would take its place. From his viewpoint he could see that Sango and Miroku were having the same difficulty. Miroku, especially, seemed unable to do any real damage to the creatures.

"Use your air void," Inuyasha shouted at Miroku.

The priest looked surprised as he glanced down at his bound hand. What good would his curse do now. How could he use it?

Sango cleared a path to him, and kept him covered. "Remove the seal from your hand. An air void can suck these youkai in faster than we can slay them. You can destroy most of them in just moments."

Miroku nodded and quickly removed the beads and cloth that covered his hand. Who would have thought that his curse might actually come in handy?

The priest clenched his hand for a moment before reaching it towards the flood of youkai that had continued to flood into the chamber. A swirl of colors formed near his palm and then suddenly the youkai started being drawn into the void. Miroku supported his cursed hand with his other as the strength of the suction threatened to throw him off balance.

"That's doing it, " Sango shouted as she continued attacking the youkai that made it past Miroku's void.

Naraku looked on with an expression of distaste. How dare this priest use his own powers against him now? The pharaoh signaled an unseen guard who slipped from the chamber and returned moments later with several additional guards. Each of the guards carried a large wooden box, which they set on the floor and flipped onto its side at their leader's signal.

Hundreds of scorpions scurried away from the boxes and towards the battle. The moved as though they had intelligence, avoiding the other humans and youkai in the room and heading directly towards Miroku.

"Miroku! Watch out behind you!" Sango shouted when she saw the venomous arachnids approaching the priest.

Miroku swung around and directed the air void at the scorpions. One by one he sucked the creatures in, until suddenly he clutched his chest with his free hand and dropped the one with the void. His face had become ashen and he appeared to be having difficulty breathing.

"Miroku!" Sango renewed her efforts against the youkai and once again made a path to the priest. The scorpions moved back, appearing to be waiting for something.

"I can't breathe," the priest gasped.

"Damn it, Miroku. Those things are poisonous. Your air void sucked in the poison with the damned bugs," Inuyasha shouted as he sliced through another wave of youkai.

The stream of youkai and soldiers seemed endless. Inuyasha continued to battle his way towards the throne. If he could only get to Naraku, or get to Kagome. He had to do something. His attacks were effective, but the constant rush of youkai seemed endless.

Miroku collapsed to the floor. Sango quickly pulled out a mask and placed it over his face, hoping that it would help his breathing. She looked on in terror as they were surrounded by dozens of youkai.

Then, the youkai stopped, hovering just feet from where the priest and youkai exterminator crouched.

A new rush of guards stormed through the open doors, overcoming Miroku and Sango. The two were forced to the floor, held by several strong guards each.

Inuyasha attempted to make his way to them, but was blocked by a wall of hissing youkai. A large number of soldiers flanked the youkai, giving the deity no way to help his friends.

Naraku turned to Kikyou. "I give you a second chance to rid yourself of the one who betrayed you. He stands before you. Destroy him."

Kikyou glared first at Inuyasha and then at Naraku. She took several steps from her former deity, only to be met by a guard holding a bow and quiver of arrows.

"Destroy him and be free, " Naraku chided.

Kikyou accepted the bow and reached for a single arrow. She turned to face Inuyasha, her face a mask of hatred.

Kagome's head had begun to clear. She was aware that the bindings holding her hands had loosened and she looked at her capturer. Kagura leaned toward Kagome and hissed softly in her ear. "You'll only have one chance. Don't blow it."

Kagura glanced at Naraku. When she was sure his attention was focused elsewhere, she quickly stooped and pulled a bow from under the bed Kagome had been bound to. Strapped to the bow was a single arrow. Kagura pulled on the cord that attached the arrow to the bow and pressed them into Kagome's hand.

"I don't know how to shoot a bow," Kagome whispered.

"You have true priestess powers. That's why Naraku wanted you. Trust in your powers and your arrow will hit." Kagura moved to stand directly behind Kagome, hiding the bow from Naraku's view as he looked in their direction.

Naraku turned to Inuyasha. "It's ironic that you should attract both the women I desired."

Kikyou glared at Naraku. "I know nothing of you. Why would you want me?"

Naraku chuckled lowly. "You really don't know who I am, Kikyou? Search your heart and tell me what you see."

Kikyou's eyes seemed to become vacant as she focused her vision inwards. She saw an image of Inuyasha attacking her, but there was something different about him. His eyes were not those of the deity who now stood before her, but of someone else. "Onigumo."

"So, you recognize me, in spite of the form you see in front of you. Yes, I am the same thief you tended. Or, should I say, I was him. He was a weak human who lusted after gold…and you. Pity that he didn't have the power I do. You see, when he knew he wouldn't survive, he made a pact with a hoard of youkai - magical creatures from another land. They joined with him to become what you see before you. I have used the power, but have been unable to shake his desire for you from this body."

Kikyou winced, realizing the truth. "It was you who attacked me that day."

"Yes. The part of Onigumo that remained inside me would not let go of you. I could not let you live to undermine my objectives, so I disguised myself as your precious deity and attacked you. If only you had finished the job and killed him, instead of simply sealing him, we would not be here now."

"Kikyou," Inuyasha mumbled as he saw her stumble, leaning on the bow as a crutch.

"Even now your life-force fades, Kikyou. It won't be long until I have absorbed your power and you can return to the grave."

Naraku smiled wickedly as Kikyou tried to raise the bow and aim it in his direction. It was obvious that her strength was failing as she struggled to place the arrow against the string.

"Forgive me, Inuyasha. I know now that it wasn't you that killed me. I'm sorry."

Kikyou staggered forward, barely able to stand. She drew back on the bow and aimed it not at Inuyasha, but at the remaining youkai in the room. With one shot, the arrow split their ranks, dissipating most of them with one shot. Inuyasha stood helpless as Kikyou collapsed onto the hard marble floor. The bow slid several feet from her as she lay motionless.

"Damn you, Naraku. To use people like this. Why do you hate me so much?"

"You are a hanyou, are you not? You took the woman I wanted from me, not just once, but twice. That, plus you are a reminder of the fact that Onigumo remains a part of me. I wish only to become a full youkai. It is with the powers of these two priestesses that I hope to rid myself of the remains of the human inside me. Of course, when I absorb your powers, I will be invincible."

"Don't count on it, pharaoh." Kagome's voice rang through the room.

Naraku turned to look at the young priestess, surprised to see that she stood free of her bindings and with a bow ready to fire in her hands.

"You can't hurt me, priestess. You have no control of your powers." He glared at Kagura, knowing that she had to be the source of Kagome's weapon.

"I won't let you hurt Inuyasha," Kagome rasped as she pulled back on the bowstring. A pale blue glow surrounded her hands and spread through the length of the arrow and bow. She closed her eyes and struggled to find the ability to aim the weapon in her hands.

Kagome opened her eyes and glanced at Inuyasha. He had moved to where Kikyou's motionless form lay and now cradled her head on his lap. He looked up at Kagome and nodded. She could see his lips move, although there was no sound. You can do it, Kagome.

She looked at Naraku and pulled the bowstring back, releasing it with a sharp twang. The arrow arched through the air, aiming directly at Naraku. His confident expression faded quickly when he saw the arrow's path. Blue flames enveloped the arrow as it soared through the air. Too late he realized that Kagome's shot had been true. Too late he turned to flee. The arrow embedded itself into his back and he lurched forward, collapsing onto the raised dais as Kagome's hidden powers flowed through the arrow. A soft, blue light surged from the arrow into Naraku's prone body, enveloping it for a moment before fading. When the light was gone, so was the pharaoh.

Kagome's legs felt like rubber. She tried to take a step forward, only to stumble and fall onto her knees. She could see Inuyasha carefully move Kikyou from his lap and rush towards her. The room was in chaos. The remaining youkai had been killed by Kikyou's arrow. The pharaoh's guard stood silently, taking in what they had just witnessed. The pharaoh himself had admitted that he wasn't who he appeared to be. These strangers were supposed to be the enemy, but suddenly the guard questioned their own leader. If he hadn't been who he said he was, then perhaps these intruders were also not what he claimed.

Inuyasha reached Kagome and pulled her into his arms. "You're amazing," he said as he helped her stand up.

"Thank you."

Deity and priestess looked up at the woman who stood only a few feet from them. Kagura. Her cold expression took in the pharaoh's chamber and she motioned to where their nation's leader had been destroyed.

"You're youkai, too," Inuyasha hissed.

Kagura nodded and turned, moving to the edge of the dais. She reached one hand out and picked up an object from the raised platform. When she turned they could see that she held what appeared to be a human heart.

"What the hell is that?" Inuyasha demanded.

"My heart. You see, I was as much a victim of Naraku as the rest of you. For the first time since he created me, I'm free."

Kagura turned he back and paused. "Here, for your priest." She tossed a small vial to Inuyasha and walked silently from the room.

Kagome looked at Inuyasha. "What about Kikyou?"

He shook his head. "The magic that was used to revive her is gone. She will need to be returned to her tomb."

Kagome looked at the other priestess and gasped. Her body was quickly returning to the state it was before the sorceress reanimated her.

Inuyasha took Kagome's hand and pulled her in the direction of Miroku and Sango.

The guards had moved back, allowing Sango room to tend to the poisoned priest. She looked up with tears in her eyes when Inuyasha and Kagome approached.

"I can't help him," she whispered.

Inuyasha handed the vial to Kagome, who quickly uncorked it and dropped to her knees by the priest.

"Take the mask off him, Sango. I need to get him to drink this."

Sango nodded and removed the mask, moving to give Kagome room. She carefully lay Miroku's head on her lap and helped open his mouth.

Kagome poured the thick liquid into his mouth and helped massage his throat until he finally swallowed.

"What do we do now?" Sango asked.

"Wait," Inuyasha mumbled.

Kagome looked up at him. "I feel so helpless," she murmured as she looked at the ashen priest.

"His breathing is less strained," Sango suddenly said. She looked closely at Miroku and then turned to her friends. "His color is getting better, too."

Miroku started to wake up. In minutes he had regained enough strength to sit up without much help.

"Thank the Gods," Kagome gasped.

Without thinking, they all looked at Inuyasha.

"I didn't do anything, idiots," he growled at them.

Sango and Kagome started laughing.

Suddenly Miroku gasped and he appeared to be staring at nothing.

"What's wrong?" Sango moved to face him, concerned that he had relapsed.

"It's…it's gone," he said hoarsely.

The priest held his hand up and slowly opened his fingers, exposing his palm. Where there had been a gaping hole only a short while before was now the warm, soft flesh of his hand. The air void had disappeared.

"Well, what did you expect?" Inuyasha said. "If the one who cursed your family dies, the curse dies with it. And, we did destroy Naraku, after all."

Sango and Inuyasha helped Miroku to his feet. They looked back at the soldiers, but no one from Naraku's guard seemed to be paying any attention to them. The soldiers looked battle worn. They had just found that the one they served had betrayed them. It was not an easy fact to accept.

"Can we please get out of here?" Kagome gently grasped Inuyasha's free arm.

Sango suddenly looked worried. "I have to find Kohaku."

"He should be with that youkai kid, Shippou. We'll find them." Inuyasha started guiding Miroku to the door. After a few steps the priest paused and shook his head.

"I can walk on my own. Thank you, but I don't need your help." He stumbled suddenly. "Well, maybe just a bit."

Inuyasha looked back at the remains of Kikyou. "We can't leave her here."

Miroku nodded. "She needs to be rewrapped and taken back to her tomb."

"My grandfather's temple is close. We can ask the priests there for help." Kagome squeezed Inuyasha's arm lightly.

Sango looked at them impatiently. "Can we please get out of here? I'm worried about Kohaku."

Inuyasha nodded. They slowly left the chamber.