InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Beat of a Butterfly's Wings ❯ The Trouble with Dimwits and Prodigies ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Please see first chapter - thank you \( `-` )/
Chapter 6: The Trouble with Dimwits and Prodigies
 
My phone rang early Thursday afternoon and glancing at the caller id I discovered that it was Kagome. Curious, I pushed the button and spoke into the receiver, “Yes ma'am, what's up?”
 
“Sango,” she said, voice stressed, “I'm so sorry but I'm going to have to cancel tonight. Would tomorrow be ok?”
 
“Sure, of course,” I answered, eyebrow rising unconsciously. “But what's up Kags, you sound kind of stressed?”
 
A bark of laughter was my only answer before she said, obviously through gritted teeth, “I'm going to be fighting a pack of wolves for my job tonight at a meeting.”
 
“Huh?” I asked, completely lost. “Kags, quit using metaphors with no context. What the heck is going on?”
 
She sighed and I could imagine her running a hand through her hair, a common nervous habit of hers. “A group of the parents have been calling and complaining to the school all semester about my volunteer project with the kids, and I guess now they've threatened to withdraw funding from the school unless I drop the program or get the shaft. My boss has been fighting them as long as she could, but she's at the end of the line now so she's organized a meeting for today at 8 between the parents and me, to give me once more chance to convince them that it is a good idea,” she finished, her voice having continued to rise until she was nearly yelling. “Urgh~! I am so livid right now Sango, you have no idea!” she cried.
 
“Actually, I think I do have an idea,” I yelled into the phone as I held it at arm's length to keep my eardrums intact. “And I don't blame you. Well, I wish you luck hun and I'll be thinking about you - you beat their idiotic asses, all right Kags? And we'll have fun tomorrow, k? No worries about tonight,” I smiled as I put the phone back up to my ear.
 
“Ok, thanks Sango. I'll do my best,” she sighed, sounding tired. “I just wish I could somehow physically wound them,” she muttered.
 
“You could always try,” I suggested, laughing.
 
“Maybe I will,” she chuckled. “See you tomorrow then.”
 
“Un, tomorrow,” I cut the connection and then searched on my desk for the piece of paper with Sesshoumaru's phone number on it. Thank heavens it's early in the day so I'll be able to catch him before he leaves work and gets started on things.
 
 
“Mr. Taisho, you have a phone call from Tokyo Beat Magazine, Sango Takahashi,” Ayame called, poking her head around the door.
 
Looking up over the files I was currently scanning I cocked an eyebrow in slight surprise and murmured, “Thank you Ayame,” as I set down the papers. Picking the receiver up from the cradle and pinning it between my shoulder and ear I pressed the flashing call waiting button and said, “Hello Ms. Takahashi, what can I do for you?”
 
“Tough luck Mr. Taisho but something came up and Kagome just called me to cancel for tonight,” she answered sounding disappointed. You aren't the only one, I thought.
 
“What's come up, is everything alright?” I asked, tapping my pen on the desk with a sluggish rhythm.
 
“Actually she's in a bit of trouble,” she replied hesitantly.
 
“Again?” I asked incredulously before I could stop myself.
 
“Wha-“ she started and then suddenly laughed. “Oh, yes, again.”
 
“Has she always created such a commotion or is there just something about her in combination with the citizens of Tokyo?” I asked chuckling.
 
“No,” Sango snorted, “She's always been like this as far as I know.”
 
“Well, what is she caught in the thick of now?” I sighed and couldn't keep myself from smiling. Inuyasha looked at me from behind his desk with a smirk and I quickly smothered the smile that had bordered on affectionate.
 
“She seems to have royally pissed off some of the influential parents of her students and they're demanding her head as payment,” she answered.
 
“Ah, I see. The volunteer program? She did mention once - the night of the conferences - that some of them didn't seem happy with the idea,” I tapped the pen a little bit faster, wheels and gears starting to spin quickly.
 
“Well apparently tonight the principle's called a meeting for Kagome to try one more time to convince them that it's a good idea. If she fails then either she drops the program or gets the shaft. Basically it doesn't look too good since according to Kags the principle has been fighting with them about it all semester,” she sighed. “I can't believe they actually have a problem with what she's doing. It's outrageous. And usually it's popular among the elite to donate or contribute to different charities I thought. At least that was my impression, maybe I was mistaken.”
 
“No, you weren't mistaken,” I growled, “It's just the popular thing is to give their money, not to actually put their own sweat into the process. It's different to pull paper out of your wallet than it is to get down in the dirt and grime with the people or things that are suffering.” The pin moved at a rapid rate while the whirring and clunking of the gears and wheels in my mind were spinning with alarming speed.
 
“I guess I'd never thought of it that way,” she muttered.
 
“There are those get involved physically of course, but it's far more common to just give of your wallet,” I laughed dryly, without humor and then the wheels clicked into place and all the pieces came together to create the picture I had been trying to form in my mind.
 
“Sango, I have an idea. I'm going to go on with the plan for tonight except I'll be taking her to dinner from the school, not her apartment. I'll be going to the meeting, as well, to sort out these idiots and try to keep her from getting fired - Rin would be most upset if she lost her as a teacher,” I said, stilling the pen and Inuyasha sighed in relief, sending me an annoyed glare. “Does that sound alright?”
 
“Yes, actually that sounds wonderful. Poor thing seemed so tired and stressed when I spoke to her. And angry,” she chuckled. “Little spitfire was practically gnashing her teeth.”
 
“I can imagine, that seems like her,” I chuckled. “Alright, did she happen to mention the time of the meeting?” I asked.
 
“Eight,” she replied promptly.
 
“Alright then I will meet you at her apartment at 7 with the package if that's a good time for you?”
 
“Yes, 7 sounds perfect,” she chuckled. “See you later then.”
 
 
“I am an idiot,” I muttered as I reached the door to Kagome's apartment and remembered an important little detail that was actually fairly key to Sesshoumaru's plan working. The key.
 
Just then I heard footsteps coming up the flight of stairs and I turned to find him nearing the top of the stairs, a large box in his arms. He hadn't told me yet what he planned to buy her but I had a pretty good idea that it was a pet of some type since it mattered if I was free or not. Specifically, free to stay at Kagome's and watch it while they went out to dinner.
 
When he reached the top my curiosity was already near the bursting point so I didn't hesitate to lean over the top of the box and look inside. Eyes widening I quickly looked up at him, “Oh, wow.”
 
His only response was to grin roguishly and I breathed, “Sesshoumaru, how did you-“ I shook my head to put my thoughts in order and laughed, grinning up at him, “She may just kiss you for this, you know?”
 
“I'm just trying to express my gratitude for how happy she made Rin on Sunday,” he muttered but I didn't miss the giddy, warm look that had flashed through his eyes at my words. Sure, I know you are. But I also know you wouldn't mind a little bonus lip action, I smirked.
 
“So,” he said, voice raising slightly as he adjusted the box gently so as not to disturb the cargo. “Shall we go inside - I have several other things that I need to bring in from the car so we should probably hurry.”
 
Memory flooding back I moaned, slapping myself in the forehead causing him to grimace slightly. “Key,” I said as if that explained everything. Amazingly he got it.
 
“Key?” he asked. “You're kidding.”
 
We both stood there for a minute the moonlight shining down on the three of us. Glancing at the door he scowled at it and then setting down the box he walked over to the object that was blocking him from reaching his goal. I watched curiously as he reached out a hand and delicately placed one of his long claws in the keyhole. There was a sudden eerie glow in his fingertips and then there just was no more keyhole. It was nothing more than a puddle of oozing acid mixed with metal bubbling on the doorstep and eating a hole through Kagome's welcome mat. The character was suddenly headless.
 
“Oh my go- what did you do?!” I yelped when I finally got my mouth to function again.
 
“I melted it,” he replied nonchalantly.
 
“I can see that but - gah! I thought you were going to pick the damn thing, not melt it!” I pointed emphatically at the twisted remnant that had once been Kagome's doorknob. “And look at her welcome mat!” I cried, turning his attention to the maimed mat.
 
“Oh dear, the dog seems to be missing it's head,” he replied dully, lip twitching in amusement.
 
“Yes,” I hissed, “Because you melted it!”
 
Turning to look at me with a rascally mirth in his eyes he gave me a lopsided grin and said, “Please Ms. Takahashi, calm down. I will buy her a new lock and doorknob as well as a replacement welcome mat. This is nothing to get upset over really. You act as if you've never seen a demon melt something,” he flicked a strand of hair over his shoulder, eyes dangerous and full of mischief, and I was reminded quite suddenly as the moonlight made his hair glow in an unearthly manner that Sesshoumaru Taisho was far from human.
 
“I haven't seen a demon melt anything before, for your information,” I sniffed and crossed my arms over my chest, “And what if they don't sell that mat in stores anymore? Then what are you going to do? Honestly, did you really have to melt it?”
 
“No,” he laughed, “But it's been so long since I've melted anything.” He cracked his knuckles and smiled, “It felt quite nice; I have to admit.”
 
“Kagome is never going to believe this,” I muttered.
 
He laughed and bent down to pick up the box, “Well, shall we go inside? Oh and be careful not to step in that - the acid's going to be active for a bit longer.”
 
“Oh of course. Watch out for the acid,” I rolled my eyes as I warily followed him through the doorway. “And for how long exactly?” I asked dryly.
 
“About another 30 minutes I suppose,” he shrugged, setting the box down on the floor, “I only released a small amount, and a weak version at that.”
 
“Oh, well, that's a comfort,” I chuckled, and then with a sigh finally decided to let it go. It was done and I supposed someday it would be something we could all laugh about when one of us said, “Hey remember that time Sesshoumaru melted your doorknob and killed your door mat?” Besides, I realized as I sat down on the couch and looked at the present intended for Kags, Once she sees this I think she'll be more than willing to forgive Sesshoumaru for practically breaking into her house. And forgive me for helping him, I laughed.
 
“I'll be back, if you stay here and-“
 
“Understood, I'll be right here,” I smiled, waving at him to go.
 
“Thank you,” he smiled and opened the door silently and on equally silent feet crossed the mantle. Puzzled I wondered at this oddity until I realized with a start that he must have been purposely making noise on the stairs earlier so that he didn't startle me. I shook my head and muttered, “Youkai are just a little freaky sometimes.”
 
 
I entered the room and was immediately hit full force by a room full of glares, none of which were mild by any stretch of the imagination. I was reminded suddenly that there was a very large range of emotions that could accompany a glare and for the first time in my life I was being the recipient of what may possibly have been the entire range. I suppose I should feel privileged, I thought dryly as I set my briefcase down on my desk and turned to face the parents that were gathered in the classroom.
 
“Good evening,” I started, clasping my hands together and bowing low, eyes to the floor to show respect. As much as you would like to wring their annoying necks the best thing to do is be professional, I thought firmly as a part of me struggled and rebelled against this logical thinking. But oh, I wanted to throw a fit so badly!
 
“As you all know this meeting is to discuss-“ I started but was quickly cut off by a large, pig-eyed man.
 
“To discuss the dropping of this ridiculous program of yours or you getting fired,” he said loudly, large gut jiggling slightly beneath his white business shirt. “Yes,” he grinned wolfishly and his fangs glinted slightly, “We are all quite aware of the details Ms. Higurashi.”
 
“Yes,” another parent, a woman with long blonde hair sneered, crossing her long bare legs and running a hand through her dyed hair, “Let's get on with this already. Do you drop the program or do you resign?”
 
The others nodded in agreement and I felt my cheeks flush in anger. No respect! No respect whatsoever; the snobby bastards - I'll show them what I- I paused and took a deep breath, brushing my hands over the twill business suit I wore as I tried to calm myself. “I was given the impression that I had one more chance to speak with you all about why I think it's such a good thing for the children to participate in volunteer work,” I said, fighting to keep my voice from quaking.
 
“We all heard your opinions at the conferences Higurashi,” another male, this one with a disgusted expression filling his eyes, spoke up loudly. “We didn't agree with them any more then so what makes you think anything you say now will change our minds?”
 
“I may not be able to convince you, but I would at least appreciate the same respect from you all that I've given you. I would appreciate the right to speak. Or are low people like me, the only ones suitable for doing the type of volunteer work that you have deemed disgusting, not to be given an respect? Am I just one of the untouchables of society? Or do I get the chance to speak?” I glared at the room of hostile parents and tried not to scream in frustration.
 
“This isn't about respect Higurashi,” another man scoffed. “This is about you stepping out of your place and learning to face the consequences.”
 
“Oh, well then, you pompous as-“
 
 
“I may not be able to convince you, but I would at least appreciate the same respect from you all that I have given you. I would appreciate the right to speak. Or are low people like me, the only ones suitable for doing the type of volunteer work that you have deemed disgusting, not to be given an respect? Am I just one of the untouchables of society? Or do I get the chance to speak?” I had just reached the closed door when I heard her voice, rising in barely constrained rage and I couldn't stop myself from wincing. Off to a good start already, little spitfire, I thought as I straightened my shoulders.
 
I reached for the doorknob and began turning it silently just as a man scoffed, “This isn't about respect Higurashi. This is about you stepping out of your place and learning to face the consequences.”
 
Just as I had opened the door fully Kagome was moving with surprising speed for a human towards the man who had spoken so rudely as she growled furiously, “Oh, well then, you pompous as-“
 
She didn't get any further than halfway to the line of desks before I cut her off and made her pause mid-step, saying loudly, “I believe what Ms. Higurashi is trying to say Mr. Itou is that you are extremely lacking in your manners and to be quite honest you are being an embarrassment. Speaking about `her place' and such. I would have thought that someone who was a little over 300 years old would have plenty of time to get over his ego and grow up already. I guess I was mistaken. Pity, I guess you're still nothing more than a pup,” I flipped my hair over my shoulder with a flick of my right hand as I sent him a disdainful look that let him know even more clearly that I thought he was disgusting. I smirked mentally when he blanched and I moved into the room, stepping in front of a surprised Kagome.
 
“I suppose that accounts for the rest of you pups' appalling behavior as well. Never should expect much from a pup I suppose,” I added dully, giving them all a taste of the look I had sent Mr. Itou. “And then concerning you humans, well frankly, I'm sad to see that you're following the old stereotypes that fueled we demons' prejudices for centuries. To put it bluntly you're being foolish, arrogant, and appear to be lacking any significant traces of brain power due to your ridiculous behavior.” I watched with satisfaction as half of them, the weaker ones, demon and human alike, squirmed uncomfortably in their seats, quickly lowering their eyes. Addressing those who refused to surrender immediately, eyes stubbornly glaring back at me I growled lowly, “I thought, boys and girls, that despite being pups you all would realized that in the current century we are more civilized and believe in giving people, of every class, the chance to speak. Or did you all not get the memo?”
 
Mr. Iwasaki spoke up, obviously begrudgingly, “We'll listen if it will just get you to quit slinging insults at us.”
 
“Oh, does it hurt Iwasaki,” I smirked. “Oh, poor baby. Can't take a little verbal spanking I see…”
 
“Just let the idiotic wench give her little speech, damn it,” he hissed, narrowing his little black pig eyes at me, flushing in embarrassment. Yeah, that's right porky, I thought and tried not to laugh. You should be embarrassed, you prick.
 
“I'll let her speak, of course, only after you quit addressing her in such insulting terms, however. I suggest you start now before I have to figure out a different method,” I held my hand up and looked at my claws with a bored expression before looking back at the audience, “to get you all to behave more like adults. I know it's hard for you all and will be quite a stretch but do try to treat her with some respect and actually think about what she has to say.”
 
I saw several of them gulp and would have grinned if it wouldn't have ruined the effect. “Fine,” another man, Mr. Murata hissed. “We agree. Now lets get this unpleasant business over with.”
 
“Gladly,” I gave him a mocking bow and then with a flourish gave Kagome the floor. Oh this is almost too much fun goading these egotistical snobs, I smirked wickedly and then nearly burst out laughing when I saw Kagome's face. She looked positively dumbstruck and like a fish out of water - lost. “Ms. Higurashi,” I said gently, catching her wide blues eyes that continued to stare at me as if I had grown a third head. “Please explain to the children why your idea is a good idea. They're more than happy to listen now.”
 
“Right,” she said, blinking rapidly, eyes clearing and the fire in the blue depths coming back to life, slowly but surely. Squaring her shoulders she began to address the village idiots. “Volunteering is an incredible tool that we can use to shape a child's future possibilities as it teaches them things that they don't learn in their textbooks. Volunteering shows children how to see the world through someone else's eyes, teaches compassion and empathy, and teaches children to appreciate what they have instead of taking things for granted. Volunteering teaches children to be more aware of their surroundings, not just their immediate surroundings, but the world as a surrounding as well. The problems that we've been dealing with this semester haven't been problems confined solely to Japan. They're problems that affect people all over the world. Is it such a bad thing to teach your children, of course in a gentle manner, about the way some people are forced to live - either because of bad choices or the circumstances that changed their lives? No, it's not. I have seen your children grow so much this semester. Their minds have expanded where they don't see themselves as the focus anymore, but instead see the big picture. They have learned better how to relate with others and how to try to solve problems. Is that such a terrible thing?”
 
She gestured with her hand, inviting them to object, but after glancing at me the few that had started to do just that clamped their mouths shut. “We've been working with the hungry, with the food collection groups, with retirement homes, animal shelters, cancer hospitals. The kids have learned so much and they have never once complained to me. And when I asked you all at conferences if they had complained at home you all admitted that, no, they had not. So why can't you see that this program is giving them a push, putting them a step above most of the other children their age? And isn't that why your children are attending this school, so that they can get a better education than most?”
 
“And most of all, why do you all look at the action of helping those in need as something dirty and beneath you? Who are you to judge? The only thing that's different about you and the homeless man or woman sleeping under the bridge is your circumstances in life. That's it. Tomorrow you could be bankrupt and on the street; nobody knows what will happen down the road. We only know what we have now, and with every breath in us, if we use what we have now we can do something great with that. There is no “beneath me” when it comes to helping and if you all don't realize that then I pity your children for having such self-absorbed people for parents,” she finished, her jaw clenching slightly as she glared at them defiantly. She looks quite breathtaking even when she's angry, I realized as I took in her small, tense form before I turned to face the crowd that was no doubt livid now.
 
 
I was exhausted. The week had already done plenty to take it out of me… But this? Well this was enough to take the energy out of me for the next few weeks. The hostile looks they had given me along with their pig-headed stubbornness that was a stellar example of stupidity made me want to pull my hair out in frustration. I felt like I was beating my head against the wall.
 
I was dazed and confused. Sesshoumaru had somehow appeared and then proceeded to cow the entire group that I would have sworn just seconds before were impossible to cow. On top of that he did with ease, a flick of the wrist and several insults that would have had me howling with laughter if my mind wouldn't have been stuck on one little detail. Like a scratched record I kept wondering how he seemed to always be there when I got into trouble. It was just uncanny.
 
I was tired and lost, but most of all the prevalent emotion that was coursing through my veins, pushing my heart to pulse wildly and filling my mind was anger. Anger at the parents in front of me who were so self-absorbed that they failed to see the big picture concerning their child… The parents that were so concerned with appearances and their status in society that they truly believed they were above everyone else. Their stance made me furious and unable to restrain myself I had let some of that pent up anger out when I spoke and now I was being hit by a collective hostile glare.
 
I glared right back.
 
“You little we-“ the man Sesshoumaru had addressed as Mr. Itou began, face contorted in obvious disgust and ire.
 
With a growl Sesshoumaru took a step forward, eyes cold, and Mr. Itou clamped his mouth shut and glared petulantly. “Good job Mr. Itou. I see you're learning,” he smirked. “Now do any of you still not get the big picture? She spelled it out pretty clearly, but since you all are here anyway I have to assume you're all a bit mentally challenged. So, I'd just like to make sure none of it went over your heads.”
 
“This is all just her opinion,” a black-haired woman in a severe business suit grumbled. “Because it is an opinion I don't have to agree with it. Besides,” she flicked a piece of hair over her shoulder, “My husband and I regularly give money to several different charities so it's not like we ignore the unfortunate people of society. I don't like the idea however of my child spending time in soup kitchens or in hospitals.”
 
“Pulling your cards out of your wallet teaches you child nothing other than that he is a part of a rich family. He isn't forced to have contact with the beneficiaries of the money given as charity and therefore doesn't learn as much about compassion. Besides, it's you and your husband, not your son, pulling the money out of your wallets. The children in this class are not too young or too fragile to learn empathy and compassion,” Sesshoumaru stated dryly, sending them all condescending looks. “I would hazard to guess that your children are far better at practicing those important abilities than you are. Donating money is of course very important and as such I don't wish to belittle it but from your attitude I would guess that for you donating the money is a bit of a status symbol. You may think that you actually want to be generous, but then why not give some of your time? Or if you are too busy and that is why you choose to give money, then why not allow your child to contribute when they are so willing and eager to do so?”
 
“You support this ridiculous idea?” Mr. Iwasaki spluttered. “Why?”
 
“I believe Ms. Higurashi explained it quite well Mr. Iwasaki, or were you not listening because you were too busy being a stubborn ass?”
 
I watched Sesshoumaru as he continued to spar with the parents on my behalf and I felt a strange warmth wash over me. He always saves me, I thought numbly, why is that? And how is that?
“But yes, Mr. Iwasaki, and this goes to the rest of you as well. I fully support Ms. Higurashi program and her thoughts on the matter. I also strongly suggest you do as well. You have no solid support for your reasoning, where as she has more than enough. The only thing I see behind your angry protests is a bunch of selfish, juvenile, bloated egos.” He crossed his arms over his chest and continued, golden eyes holding them all captive against their will, “In fact I so fully support her program that I will be accompanying her to the soup kitchen and animal shelter on Saturdays whenever I have the opportunity.”
 
“Ms. Higurashi,” he turned to me with a warm smile. “Do you have anything else you would like to add before I ask them to give their answers?”
 
“No,” I said, shaking my head as I clasped my hands behind my back, tension running up the length of my spine, pulling the muscles taunt.
 
“Well then,” he murmured turning away from me so I missed the look that he gave them but it must have been impressive as nearly the entire group blanched noticeably. “Those in favor of her being fired raise your hand.” A few hands twitched but otherwise no one moved. “Alright and those in favor of the program being dropped raise your hand.” Mr. Itou got his hand about 3 centimeters off of the table before Sesshoumaru shot him down with a look and then said in a cheerful voice, “Well, now that we have that settled I expect none of you will have anything to call and complain about from now on. I also expect that you will give Ms. Higurashi your full cooperation from now on.”
 
“Is that all for this meeting then?” he asked turning to face me, his back to the crowd, his expression nothing but gentle and caring. I nodded and he threw carelessly over his shoulder without even bothering to look at them, “You're all free to go.” Eyes on me as they danced with mirth he walked to my desk, picked up my briefcase, and handing it to me whispered, “You, Higurashi, attract trouble like a flower attracts bees.”
 
“I suppose it must seem like that,” I replied quietly, my breath hitching slightly at his proximity. “But really I swear it's only a recent trend.”
 
“I see,” he murmured obviously not convinced. And why should he be, I thought, wanting to roll my eyes at the unfair circumstances. “When they are all gone if I could have a private word with you?” he asked, eyes enslaving mine as he pulled back slightly.
 
“Of course,” I said, more than a little curious and puzzled. I looked back at the room to see how many of the parents were left and with a start realized that there were only two couples left. It hit me then that the meeting I had thought would take forever and would inevitably end with me being fired, as I had decided that I would not abandon the program even if it cost me my job, was over. Done. Finished. And I still had my job. On top of that it hadn't taken any time at all and it was all thanks to the gorgeous man standing in front of me.
 
I wanted to throw my arms around him to show him how grateful I was but I knew better than to do that in front of any of the parents. I also had the sinking suspicion that contact like that with him would end with me on the floor as a puddle of oozing brainless goop. A blissful puddle of oozing brainless goop no doubt, but it would be rather embarrassing after the bliss had worn off I decided.
 
I also realized that now that the meeting was over I should call Sango to see if she still wanted to get together tonight like we had originally planned. “If you'll excuse me for a second,” I said with an apologetic smile, “I need to call Sango for a second.”
 
“Of course,” he smiled and leaned against the desk to wait. Leaving the room I pushed the button that would connect me to Sango and putting the phone to my ear waited for her to pick up.
 
“Hey Kagome, how are you doing?” she asked, voice concerned. “It's only eight,” she paused, obviously checking her watch, “Eight twenty? What in the world, that was short. Are you alright?”
 
“Yes, I'm fine actually, just a little worse for wear and a bit bamboozled but otherwise quite alright. I just can't figure out how Sesshoumaru seems to always find me when I'm in trouble,” I muttered into the phone, leaning against the wall of the hallway outside of my room.
 
“Sesshoumaru's there? You're kidding?! That's crazy,” she said, disbelief clear in her voice as it rose slightly. “How in the world does he do that? What is that, the third time now?” she laughed.
 
“Yes,” I grumbled. “It's much appreciated but extremely disconcerting because I don't know how he does it. This is going to drive me insane, I just know it. You know how I get when I can't figure something out.”
 
“Yes,” she moaned, “I know all too well. Which is why Miroku and I always try to keep you from getting your dirty little paws on any puzzles or brainteasers. You turn into such a little beast.”
 
“Oh hush, I was calling to ask if you still wanted to get together tonight,” I growled, pretending to be offended.
 
“Oh, Kags, I'm sorry. You canceled earlier so I picked up extra work at the office this afternoon. I can't, I'm really sorry,” she replied.
 
“Oh, ok. No problem, we're still on for tomorrow night though right?” I smiled.
 
“Yes'um, and I fully expect you to have some of those delicious cookies of yours fresh out of the oven when I get there. I'm in dire need of a good chocolate fix,” she laughed.
 
“Understood,” I laughed happily, “Well tomorrow then. See you at 7, bye!”
 
“Bye,” she chirped and then with a click the dial tone was loud in my ear. Closing my phone I turned and walked back into the classroom to find Sesshoumaru right where I had left him.
 
“Well, I owe you some serious gratitude and about a million “thank you's” Mr. Taisho,” I laughed when I reach the desk.
 
“Hardly,” he laughed, “That was vastly entertaining. I've always loved chewing out pups that have gotten too big for their own britches.” He shrugged elegantly and wondered how such a commonplace movement could look so graceful yet so powerful all at the same time. Only Sesshoumaru, I thought with a mental shake.
 
“Yes,” I drawled, “And what is this about a 300 year old demon being a pup? What exactly does that make you Sesshoumaru?”
 
He smirked and stepped closer, “Quite a bit older than that.”
 
“A dinosaur,” I teased.
 
“No, that title belongs to my father,” he chuckled.
 
“I must admit, I find it a bit upsetting that they only listened to me because you were giving them the look of death,” I frowned looking up at his beautifully sculpted face. “If you hadn't been here I know I would've gotten fired. I mean, they weren't even going to let me speak,” I grumbled.
 
“Unfortunately with idiotic individuals like them you're not something they feel they have to respect. I just had to point out that they were sadly mistaken in their judgments,” he stepped closer until our bodies were nearly touching and I suddenly felt flushed. “It doesn't, by any means, mean that your words or thoughts weren't good enough, merely that they weren't good enough to understand your ideals. They do understand force and sharp words from one of their own however. I'm sorry if I bothered you at all,” he frowned apologetically.
 
“No, no,” I breathed, the words rushing out in my desire to assure him, “You couldn't be more wrong. You saved me back there. Again,” I chuckled ruefully. “I just feel bad because I must seem so helpless and like such a burden, and I know I can't expect you to always be there when I get into trouble.”
 
“You are only being silly if you allow yourself to think for even a second that I would ever think of you as a burden or helpless,” he purred, bringing his face down till our noses were touching and I froze as I lost myself in the mesmerizing heat of the sun.
He moved closer and my heart stopped but the sound of a throat being cleared by the door made him stop dead.
 
“I was just coming to check on you Ms. Higurashi. I was a bit alarmed to see that it was only 8:20 but all the parents were already leaving and in quite an irritate state at that,” Ms. Suzuki growled in her ancient voice. I tensed and was trying to come up with something to say in an attempt to explain the awkward position Sesshoumaru and I were in when she continued, “I see now that I had nothing to worry about… I will see you the week before school starts up in the fall Ms. Higurashi. Congratulations.” And with that the door shut with a loud “smack”.
 
“Oh dear,” I murmured and looked back at the face that was still so agonizingly close to mine.
 
“Yes, quite,” he purred and I felt dizzy. “Now Kagome, to discuss what I wanted to talk to you about.”
 
“Oh, yes, of course, what can I do for you,” I asked trying desperately to fight the fog that had clouded my thoughts.
 
“Allow me to take you to dinner to express my gratitude for Sunday. You remember, I told you that you'd have to go with me to dinner soon so… How about tonight?” he purred, playfully pushing at my nose with his.
 
“You don't need to do anythi-“ I started.
 
“Kagome,” he said, saying my name as if it was something precious to him. Am I dead, I wondered dully. Did the meeting actually explode into a bloodbath and I've died and gone to heaven where there is a fake Sesshoumaru who is far too close and far too attractive? Not that I'm complaining… Just if I'm not dead already I will be soon due to a stuttering heart and a pair of lungs that don't do crap. “Please go with me to dinner. I want to say thank you.”
 
How could anyone refuse this man, I huffed as I stared at him for a moment before finally relenting, albeit with a voice that wasn't quite steady, “O-ok, sure.” Breathtakingly eloquent if I must say so, I sighed. He must really take me for an idiot by now considering how my vocabulary shrinks noticeably when he comes around.
 
“Thank you,” he smiled and my heart skipped another beat. I love it when he smiles like that, I thought dreamily before I could stop myself. “Then shall we be going? Let me take your briefcase. I don't know why I handed it to you earlier, actually - sorry,” he purred and coming even closer placed his hand over mine before he took the bag back.
 
“Thank you,” I barely managed to get my drooling mouth to gasp. I was so busy trying not faint that I missed the look that crossed his face when our hands touched.
 
 
She was the most bewitching, entertaining, tantalizing thing I had ever met, a fact that I was reminded of every time I was around her. And for what seemed like the millionth time that night while I watched her beautiful lips move, her face animated as she spoke and laughed so easily, I wanted to see what it would be like to taste those lips. And for the millionth time I wondered how I could have been such a stubborn, gutless fool that I had actually tried to cut all ties with her.
 
We had been at dinner for an hour and a half already and I felt like I never wanted to quit speaking to her. Our plates had long ago been cleared and we'd already finished several drinks, mine all being non-alcoholic of course. Her cheeks were rosy, her eyes were sparkling like sapphires in the candlelight and she seemed to glow with life. I burned the image into my memory and then using every ounce of will in me I straightened in my seat and said, “Shall I take you home? I'm sure you're tired after that meeting.”
 
“Oh, I'm fine,” she smiled blindingly. “But I'm sure you should be getting home to Rin, she'd probably love to see you before she goes to bed.”
 
“Yes,” I chuckled. “I would like to see her before she goes to sleep.” Standing up I stood behind her chair to help her get out from the table and then picking up her purse I preceded to the counter.
 
“Let me pay for the wine,” she murmured, coming up behind me, her aura a comforting presence in my mind. “Everything was so expensive and then I had that all to myself.”
 
“Nonsense,” I chuckled and ruffled her hair causing her to pull a face, “You aren't putting a single coin on the counter and that's final. I invited you to dinner to show my gratitude. It would be more than ludicrous if I let you pay for anything.” I tweaked her nose gently and handed the clerk the necessary amount of cash. I tried not to laugh as I thought, If you're worked up over this meal, I wonder what your reaction will be when you see what's waiting for you at home.
 
She pouted prettily as we left the counter and said in a low grumble as she crossed her arms over her chest, “Fine, but sometime I'm taking you out to dinner.”
 
“I look forward to it,” I smiled and she drew her protruding lip back in as she smiled in return.
 
“Good.”
 
The drive home was just as full of comfortable conversation as our time at the restaurant had been, but I was incredibly eager to reach her house and caught myself speeding on several occasions. Dinner had been wonderful but, figuratively speaking, it was only the frosting on the cake that I planned to give her and as such I was looking forward to seeing her expression when she opened the door and walked inside.
 
When we were only a few minutes from her house I pushed the button on my cell to send the message I had written for Sango and placed in the `draft' folder of my mail to warn her that we were almost there.
 
 
“So, after they get back to Kagome's place are you up for a movie at my place?” I asked, smirking as I leaned back in my chair, the phone pinned between my shoulder and ear.
 
“Are you trying to lure me into a tempting situation Miroku?” she asked, voice light and playful.
 
“And if I was?” I countered.
 
“Well, I would have to say that it's working,” she paused and then added, “What movie?”
 
“Your choice,” I laughed.
 
“Good choice,” she giggled, “Buy me some cheesecake and it's a deal.”
 
“Anything for you my dear,” I smiled, “I want to hear the details about everything though when you get here.”
 
“Of course,” she replied, amusement lacing her voice. “I'm not going to lie, I'm happy with how long they've been at dinner… I wonder if they've finally kissed or not yet.”
 
“Who knows, maybe they aren't at dinner anymore, maybe they found a nice little quiet place to-“ I started but Sango growled.
 
“Mind out of the gutter Miroku - out of the gutter. Or no kissing for you - strictly movie watching with no getting physical in any way,” she warned.
 
“Oh, but you know you couldn't possibly resist me for long,” I teased. “Because after all, the method you are threatening to use would punish you just as much as it would me. I'd having you crawling up the wall dying to abandon that threat in a few minutes.”
 
“Oh is that a fact, hun? Getting pretty cocky now aren't we?” she muttered. “Well, when I get over there I promise I'll be sure to knock you down a peg or two.”
 
“I look forward to it,” I murmured, wondering exactly what techniques she had in mind.
 
“As you should,” she grumbled, pretending to be cross. “I'll call you when I'm on my way then.”
 
“Alright, see you then. I'll have the cake ready. Bye, hun,” I smiled and she responded in kind before cutting the connection. I got up from the chair stretching, an idiotic smile firmly planted on my face. I loved movie nights with Sango - they'd always been wonderful, but now, now they were extra wonderful. Finally going out with the girl you were in love with had a tendency to do that to you, I decided. Changes everything that was once nice or wonderful into something extraordinary and fantastical. It had been little over a month since we'd started dating and already my over-imaginative thoughts had come up with several images of Sango in white clothes. Way too fast, I sighed. But I can't help myself or keep myself from dreaming about it. Besides, I thought somewhat defensively, I've never been interested in having Sango as a casual partner. Never.
 
Stretching I walked to the entryway and grabbing my keys and wallet as I slipped my feet into my shoes, I exited the apartment to go to the nearest delicatessen and pick up several pieces of cheesecake.
 
 
Less than ten minutes after I hung up the phone, it vibrated across the coffee table and beeped loudly announcing the arrival of an email. Quickly opening the file I realized it was from Sesshoumaru, announcing that they would be arriving shortly. Excitedly I jumped up from the couch and busied myself, making sure that everything was still set up exactly as we had planned. Lacking a great deal of things to straight up I was done in less than half a minute and left to wait with a clownish grin pulling at my mouth. They better have kissed already. If they haven't they should win some type of record for being the world's most slow clods. Blushing I corrected ruefully, Second of course to Miroku and I…
 
Despite my valiant attempt to listen carefully, I barely managed to catch the sound of two pairs of feet making their way up the stairs a couple of minutes later. Glancing quickly at the largest package in the room I nearly held my breath in excited anticipation feeling like somebody hiding out for a surprise birthday party. The giddy feeling, however, was broken by a startled yelp outside the door.
 
 
“Oh gods, what happened to my door?!” Kagome yelled in horror as she reached the door before I did. Oh hell, I growled remembering the doorknob and the mat, which she was now currently noticing. “Some sick person melted my doorknob and managed to murder my mat! I loved this thing - I bought it with my first paycheck!”
 
“Kagome,” I started as I came up behind her.
 
“Gah! I can't believe this! What kind of crazy person goes around melting people's doorknobs?! Why not just pick the lock?” Her eyes widened in dawning realization as she got over the door and the mat, “Oh my go- my house has been broken into!” she cried and reached for the door, yanking it open before I could say anything.
 
The door opened to reveal a wide-eyed Sango standing between the couch and the blasting TV, looking lost in a living room full of wrapped boxes covered in beautiful paper and ribbons. “Hee, hee,” she coughed nervously and waved timidly, “Hey Kags.”
 
“Sango?” Kagome asked, halting halfway through the door, her hand still on the misshapen metal that had once been a normal doorknob. “What are you doing here? And what is all that stuff?! And do you know why my doorknob looks like melted taffy and the dog on my mat has been decapitated?”
 
Sango looked at me questioningly, eyes wide, and Kagome, following her line of sight, swung around to face me, eyes swirling with confusion. Clearing my throat I looked down at her and said, “Allow me to explain.” I gently removed her hand from the `melted taffy' and walked past her, closing the door and pulling her into the house simultaneously.
 
“One,” I began, “There is no robber. Two, I'm terribly sorry about the doorknob and the welcome mat and will of course be paying for their replacements - whatever you deem suitable. Three, Sango is here because I asked her to do me a favor. Four, this didn't go at all like I'd planned,” I finished, feeling a very rare emotion. I was not at all accustomed to feeling lost. However, a small part of me wasn't surprised that Kagome had managed to throw me off balance and make me feel an emotion that I rarely did - yet again. It didn't make it any easier, however, for me to get my bearings.
 
The original plan had been for Sango and Kagome to schedule a `girl's night' at Kagome's apartment in the early evening and then I was going to come to her apartment with the main gift. After that we would go to dinner and Sango would watch the present. I had hoped that the execution of this plan would end with Kagome being happy beyond words, and a small, secret part of myself also hoped that maybe Sango was right and I would get a hug… or a kiss… from Kagome. Concerning the plan the meeting had merely been a small bump in the road that had actually been satisfactory in the end. The problem, I realized with a moan, was the key. Damned key, I thought glumly. Threw everything out of wack. Of course, the logical part of my mind sneered, Sango was probably right when she hinted that picking the lock would have been better. Trying not to growl in frustration at the aggravating thought I quickly broke out of my thoughts to look at Kagome.
 


 
“One,” he said, “There is no robber. Two, I'm terribly sorry about the doorknob and the welcome mat and will of course be paying for their replacement - whatever you deem suitable. Three, Sango is here because I asked her to do me a favor. Four, this did not go at all like I had planned,” he finished and looked… Lost, I realized suddenly feeling a bit surprised. Well that makes two of us, I decided.
 
I processed all of the information, turned to look at my door, Sango, the wrapped boxes all over the living room and then the male that stood in front of me looking like a man hopelessly lost at sea. “Does that mean you melted my doorknob and decapitated the dog on my mat?” I asked after staring at him for a long moment.
 
“Yes,” he answered, eyes brimming with regret and apologies. “I'm terribly sorry.”
 
“You melted it?” I repeated dumbly.
 
“Yes,” he stepped closer, “I melted your doorknob. I got a bit carried away, I'm sorry.”
 
“And why were you trying to get into my apartment in the first place? To put all of that stuff in here?”
 
“Yes,” he nodded looking like a guilty puppy that had dropped his muddy toy on the white carpet.
 
Not a look I ever expected to see on Sesshoumaru's face, I laughed, despite the odd situation.
 
“And you and Sango were in on this together?” I turned to glance at Sango.
 
“Once again, guilty,” he sighed.
 
I looked back and forth between the two of them, eyes narrowed, before I shook my head and mumbled, “You two are… are… Conniving. I don't know whether to be impressed or disturbed.”
 
“I'd prefer impressed,” Sango laughed and I couldn't help but smile.
 
“This is probably the weirdest surprise anyone has ever pulled on me Sesshoumaru,” I turned to him still smiling. “I'm curious though, how exactly did you melt it anyway?”
 
“I'll leave that up to Sango to tell you later,” he smiled, eyes still a little worried. “For now, I'd like to give you your presents.”
 
“I can't believe you're giving me presents now. You just took me to dinner at that beautiful, extravagant place - that was more than enough!” I protested, glancing at the presents scattered about the living room, a particularly large box catching my attention.
 
“I meant it when I told you earlier that I really appreciated everything you've done for Rin and that I wanted to express my gratitude. Other than telling you repeatedly that I'm grateful this is the best way I know how,” he shrugged slightly and glanced at the boxes. And just then over the sound of the TV that I had been effectively tuning out since I entered the house I heard a sound that didn't belong in my home.
 
“What the-“
 
 
I watched the show as it unfolded in front of me and one point had to fight a fierce battle with myself to keep from laughing and saying, “I told you so!” to Sesshoumaru. I did feel sorry for the poor man though and then my amusement had been pulled to a skidding stop when Kagome had turned to me as she said, “And you and Sango were inon this together?” I winced after she turned back to Sesshoumaru and made no comment until she mumbled, “You two are… are… Conniving. I don't know whether to be impressed or disturbed.”
 
“I'd prefer impressed,” I said laughing suddenly and with relief noted the smile that grew on her face in response. I then watched with amusement as Kagome did exactly what I had expected and had warned Sesshoumaru about: try to refuse the gifts. She is going to flip, I thought giddily and had to use all of my self-control, or lack therein, to keep myself from smiling like an idiot and blurting out the surprise.
 
I was saved from ruining the surprise, however, when the surprise announced itself quite loudly. Twitching, I turned to look at the largest box that I had wrapped shortly after Sesshoumaru had left to go to the meeting. Looking back quickly at the other two who stood side by side on the other side of the couch, I found Kagome with an entirely perplexed look on her face and Sesshoumaru with a dull look of disbelief in his eyes as his eyebrow twitched sporadically - a look that clearly said, “You must be joking.”
 
What I wouldn't give for a camera right now, I thought as I tried not to laugh.
 
 
“What the-“ Kagome said after she caught the sound over the noise of the TV that was blaring at a painful level to hide any sounds that the present might make. Apparently it wasn't loud enough.
 
This can't be happening, I thought, my eyebrow twitching and then after a sigh I surrendered. Who needs to follow the plan to the letter anyway, life is all about adaptability and spontaneity, right?
 
“Did I just here a-“ she started and I quickly cut her off.
 
“Here,” I said, taking her small hand in mine and pulling her around the couch and towards the large wrapped object, “Open it.” At the sound of my voice the noise repeated itself except this time with more excitement. Eyes wider than I had believed possible she stared at me and then at the box and then with a small sound began to pull gingerly at the paper, as if she felt that if she opened it too roughly the whole thing would disappear.
 
I turned and picked up the remote from the coffee table and turned off the TV with it's infernal noise as there was no longer any need for it. Sango grinned at me and then I turned back to watch Kagome finish opening the present. The paper came off with a gentle tearing sound and the surprise was revealed.
 
 
I pulled at the paper afraid that I was imagining things, that in a moment I would wake up and find myself in the school library where I had fallen asleep preparing for the meeting with the rabid parents. That would mean that none of this had happened, that Sesshoumaru hadn't swept into the classroom in all of his regal glory and saved me again, and that I wouldn't have just spent yet another wonderful evening with him. However, it wasn't a dream and the paper tore softly, revealing something extraordinary, and my mind went nearly blank.
 
There, in my living room sat a black metal kennel. And in that kennel was something that I had wanted for years. I couldn't help myself; before I knew what I was doing I'd squealed in excitement and thrown myself at Sesshoumaru, an action that earlier I had deemed `too dangerous'. Now, however, my mind wasn't functioning and there was no memory of my earlier musings. “I can't believe it,” I cried, as I stood on tiptoe, arms wrapped firmly around his neck and my head buried into his chest. And then, at that moment, my mind began moving again and I realized whom exactly I was hugging and very quickly lost the strength in my legs as I brought my arms down from around his neck as fast as I could.
 
“Believe it,” he purred, arms of steel wrapping firmly around my waist and keeping me from crashing to the ground. As I moved to look up at him my mind dully noted that my hands hadn't made it very far from his person like I had intended and were instead now on a place that was far more disconcerting. I attempted to tell my hands to move off his chest, but they refused to budge and then when I looked fully up into his face all my thoughts ceased yet again. His eyes were warm and held that same alien emotion they had held that strange night under the moon and suddenly it was as if he had never pulled away, time had not passed, and we had never moved out from under the glow of the moon. All the heat came rushing back into my veins, making my heart beat at an alarming rate as I stared up at his exquisite face and felt myself burn in the fire. He bent his head down and our noses nearly touched when a demanding sound erupted from the kennel beside us and the spell was shattered, both of us blinking dully as if we'd just woken up from a dream. “I believe,” he murmured, voice husky and eyes looking slightly dazed, “that as much I don't want to let you go that someone's eager to meet you.”
 
“Oh,” I coughed, trying to get my body to quit quivering, “Yes. Right.”
 
He released me then and I felt the lack of warmth with a painful clarity as I took a step back from him. Turning on still shaking limbs I crouched down to open the door of the kennel and with a delighted yip the fluffy little black and white husky pup came bounding out and flew at me with gusto.
 
The pup did wonders to soothe my frazzled nerves and soon I was feeling halfway normal again. Really, I thought with a sigh, Sesshoumaru is able to throw me more off balance and make me feel like I'm losing my mind better than anyone I've ever met. Bouncing the little ball of fluff up and down in my lap I began to grin like an idiot despite my dark thoughts. Crouching down next to me Sesshoumaru smiled and reached out to tickle the pup behind the ears as he said in his gorgeous voice, “I seem to remember a conversation that involved fluff in which you once told me that Siberian huskies were your favorite.”
 
 
I tiptoed to the door doing my best not to attract anyone's attention as Sesshoumaru wrapped his arms around Kagome's waist and said, “Believe it,” in a low voice that spoke of strong attraction. That's it, I thought triumphantly. There is no way those two are not going to kiss. Not with him looking at her like that. As I moved to shut the door I turned to look at the two of them one last time and I saw Sesshoumaru bring his face closer to Kagome's, their noses nearly touching, and grinned, gently closing the door and avoided the now solid mass of melted metal on doorstep.
 
Wait until I tell Miroku, I thought gleefully as I practically skipped down the stairs and all the way to the train station.
 
 
“I can't believe you remembered that,” I laughed, staring at him in disbelief.
 
“And why is that,” he asked, eyebrow cocked as he stood and strode over to the sofa where he took a seat as if it was something he did everyday. Then it hit me how very odd it was that a) Sesshoumaru Taisho was in my apartment, b) Sesshoumaru Taisho was sitting on my couch, and c) that he was doing all of this with an air that gave the impression that all of these things were regular occurrences. I also realized that other than my two dear friends, that probably no one would believe me if I tried to tell them about today's events. I wouldn't blame them, I thought with a dry laugh.
 
And then yet another thing hit me, Sango was gone.
 
“Sesshoumaru,” I asked, looking around quickly, “Where's Sango?”
 
He looked puzzled for second and then looking around he saw too that she was no longer in the room. Sniffing quietly he muttered, “She seems to have left not more than a couple minutes ago.”
 
Sneaky little scheming friend, I thought ruefully. Oh you are good. I'll have to keep an eye on you.
 
“I feel a bit bad,” he said, eyes contemplative, “I didn't get to tell her thank you for staying and watching the pup while we were out.”
 
“Oh, don't worry, I'm sure she hasn't even thought about it,” I waved a hand at him, “She's probably already on her way to Miroku's house to watch a movie or something.” More like talking about how she left right when we looked like we were going to - not that Sesshoumaru would ever consider kis- no matter how much it looked like he was considering kis- Ungh! I refuse to think about all of these suppositions, I growled irritably.
 
“I hope you're right,” he smiled and then repeated his earlier question, “So why is it that you thought I wouldn't remember?”
 
“Because I never would've guessed that, well… that you would remember our conversations so well. We only talked about it once after all,” I shrugged, picking up the pup and coming to sit down on the couch next to him, a pile of wrapped boxes in between us. Good thing, too, I thought, I'd rather not go and get loopy again tonight.
 
“You wound me,” he said sending me a tragic look over the boxes.
 
“Just being honest,” I laughed, squeezing the dog.
 
“Well, you may be stating your honest opinion, but I can tell you right now that your opinion is far from correct,” he smiled. “I remember that you said you chose this apartment because it allows pets and that you were hoping to save up enough to buy a husky. You then mentioned that you wouldn't mind a cat either and that you had grown up with a lot pets so that you were hooked.”
 
“You, Sesshoumaru,” I said blinking at him owlishly, “Never cease to amaze me.”
 
He snorted and with a dismissive wave of his hand said, “I merely wanted to say `thank you' and try to bring you some amount of happiness for making Rin so happy.”
 
“I appreciate the gesture,” I began, “And I really have wanted a husky for the longest time.” I paused and in answer to his expression that seemed to ask for details, added, “We always had Shiba-ken because they were my mother's favorite, but I've always dreamed about having a husky.” I stroked the pup's head and then said what was nearly impossible to say when I had the thing I had been longing for, for as long as I could remember, in my arms, “I really appreciate this but… I can't accept. I know how much huskies cost since I've been hoping to own one for so long. It's also the reason I haven't been able to buy one yet… She's beautiful and I hate to let her go but…” I looked down at the beautiful dog that rested so happily in my lap and cursed the need to be adult-like. But I want to keep her, the little voice in my brain cried while the other voice shouted at it, You can't accept a 100,000¥ gift from him, you dolt!
 
“I thought you might say that,” he sighed and looked at with those cursed gold eyes and continued, “But please, Kagome. I know you want to keep her, so please, do. It was no bother to do this and seeing your face a few minutes ago was more than worth it. Please,” he used the full force of his voice and his eyes and before I knew it I bowed under the pressure.
 
“O-ok,” I stuttered, quickly looking away from the powerful man who sat so casually on my couch, and looked down at the pup who still sat in my lap blissfully unaware of how I had tried to send her back. “Well, what should I name her?” I asked, changing the subject. “Rei?” I suggested with a mischievous grin.
 
“Gratitude?” he chuckled. “I suppose you could since she's a gift of gratitude... How about Yukiko since Huskies come from a cold climate? But then again, she has such a sunny disposition, maybe something like Sakura?”
 
“Sakura?” I chuckled, “I like the name but it's kind of common.”
 
He laughed, “Good point… Well while you're thinking why don't you open up the other packages?”
 
“You realize that you have used up a lifetime quota of gift giving tonight - all in one blow,” I mumbled, looking at the packages and feeling overwhelmed yet again.
 
“Hardly,” he laughed. “I think from your reaction tonight that I rather like giving you presents. When's your birthday?”
 
“That information will not be heard coming from my lips, Mister,” I shook a finger at him as I picked up the first package and began gently unwrapping it. Inside was a small blue collar decorated with stars and crescent moons along with a matching leash. Feeling a little surprised that Sesshoumaru had actually picked out a leash and collar like that I looked up at him with questioning eyes before I could stop myself.
 
At the look he laughed, “No Kagome,” he murmured, shaking his head, “I didn't pick that out by myself - I had a plain blue set picked out when Rin brought me those and insisted that I should get them instead.” He sighed, “The girl loves just about anything if it has a moon and star motif. She said it reminds her of me. Sorry if it's a bit… Odd,” he finished with a chuckle and an easy smile.
 
“No, no,” I laughed, “I just have to admit that I was a bit surprised that you would pick out a set like this… It just didn't seem quite like you...”
 
“Well you were right,” he grinned. “Now open the next one.”
 
By the time I had unwrapped and opened all of the packages I had the collar and leash set, a medium sized bag of puppy food, brushes, dog treats, water and food dishes, a dog bed, toilet sheets, and dog toys or various types, shapes, and sizes as well as a book on how to take care of a husky. The man had thought of everything and I was truly speechless.
 
 
I watched her as she opened the presents, growing more and more shell-shocked and I couldn't help but smile. She was so adorable when she opened everything that for the first time, with someone that wasn't Rin, I was finding great pleasure just from giving her the presents. I hadn't been joking when I told her that I rather liked giving her things. I didn't feel like stopping either as she certainly failed to inspire that reaction in me, despite all of her protesting.
 
As she finished unwrapping the last dog toy she looked up at me, eyes wide, and said, “I really don't - I,” she stuttered, closing her mouth and licking her lips as she blinked several times before continuing, “I don't know what to say.”
 
“You don't have to say anything Kagome,” I chuckled and flicked her on the nose gently. “You got things for Mai when you gave him to Rin. I'm just returning the consideration.”
 
“Yes, I may have gotten a few things for Mai, but I didn't buy Mai at a pet store so it's two completely different things. Plus, I mean,” she paused, “I've never gotten this many presents from anybody. In my life.” She shook her head and shifted the pup into her arms. “I don't know how I can repay you.”
 
“I'm repaying you,” I smiled, looking into the eyes that I had drowned in earlier. “The past couple years have been tough for Rin and you've meant so much to her these past couple months. This is my thank you, our thank you, not just for Sunday but for everything else that you've done.”
 
She frowned and said, “I haven't done anything special or extra good like you seem to think.”
 
You modest thing, you really have no idea do you, I thought with a bit of disbelief before I spoke, “I'm surprised Kagome that you don't realize how important your actions and your words have been. You were the one that told me, after all, that, `No person and no action is too small to cause change.' You, Kagome, have changed Rin's world in the course of the past months.” And mine, I added silently in my head, still unable to voice those particular thoughts. You have taken my world and thrown it into turmoil,l yet I am more happy in a way that I've not experienced for longer than I can remember. And for that I am more than grateful, I thought looking at her innocent face and wondering if she could hear my thoughts. I didn't know what would be better, that she could or that she couldn't.
 
“I -,” she spluttered, obviously not used to so many presents and compliments all in one evening. “I, um.”
 
“Have you thought of a name yet?” I asked quickly, changing the subject in an attempt to make her more comfortable. And to get my thoughts clear, I grumbled.
 
“Oh, um, yes,” she replied, eyes flooding with relief as she visibly relaxed. “Ran.”
 
“Orchid? Interesting,” I paused and tilting my head gave her a calculating look. “I remember how at the party you smelled so strongly of orchids I almost wondering if you had climb-“
 
“I just smelled them for a second,” she muttered, cheeks tinged red.
 
“Of course,” I laughed, ignoring the obvious fib. “It's a good name,” I smiled, patting the pup on the head gently.
 
“I think so,” she smiled, standing up with her arms wrapped firmly around the precious bundle. “I'll have to go get tags made tomorrow.”
 
Looking at my watch I blanched when I saw that it was already nearly midnight. “Unfortunately I need to be getting home,” I stood so quickly that she twitched slightly in surprise. “Inuyasha's been watching Rin who is no doubt asleep by now, but the sooner I get home the better.”
 
“Of course,” she smiled, “I'm so sorry I took up so much of your tim-“
 
“Nonsense,” I cut her off gently, “It was my pleasure to spend the evening with you. I'm glad that I was able to make it to meeting - please let me know if any of them ever give you trouble again.”
 
“Oh, no, thank you so much. You saved my job, literally,” she huffed. “It was a witch hunt.”
 
“I noticed,” I said dryly to hide how much their treatment of her had angered me and then added with a small smile, “Please let me know the locations and the schedule of the volunteering you do on Saturdays. I was quite serious about what I said in the meeting.”
 
“Oh, of course,” she replied, mouth forming a small `o' of obvious surprise. “That would be wonderful.”
 
“Well Kagome,” I smiled, “Thank you for tonight.”
 
 
He turned to leave after I responded and I felt the strong urge to do something, anything to try to show how grateful I really was. It felt so insignificant just saying the words and I felt like no matter how many times I said them that I would never feel like I had successfully conveyed my feelings. The only thing I could think of, however, that was something I could do on the spot was something that the cautious part of my brain told me I would very quickly regret because it would be crossing the Event Horizon, the point of no return. I followed him to the door, and watched with inner turmoil as he slipped into his shoes and prepared to leave. Holding Ran tightly I opened my mouth to say his name, throwing caution to the wind in a moment of compulsiveness as I decided to cross that Horizon, but before I could even form the first letter I saw him tense as an expletive flowed from his lips in a low hiss of breath.
 
I was slipping my shoes on and trying to ignore the ridiculous part of me that insisted the light had lacked something, a problem that could be fixed so easily - when I saw it. My air coming out in a hiss I glared at the result of my impulsiveness and cursed, “Damn it.” Damned lock, I thought in frustration, I can't just leave her here without a main lock; what was I thinking earlier. I am truly a world-class idiot.
 
“Kagome,” I said, “I would like to apologize.” I turned around to look at the beautiful woman who was looking strangely dazed, her lips parted as if she'd been about to say something. “I would like to apologize for being a complete, unforgivable idiot.”
 
“Um, what are you-“ she started, scratching behind Ran's ears.
 
“The lock,” I pointed accusingly at the accursed piece of twisted metal.
 
“Oh. Yes?” she obviously hadn't reached the conclusion I had yet. Of course not, I thought, this is the woman who gets herself into trouble all the time. Obviously she's not always particularly cautious or she wouldn't get stuck in tricky situations so often. And here you are, being a gentleman, and practically helping her to get herself into another tricky situation. Good job, Sesshoumaru, good job. Brilliant.
 
“Because I stupidly melted your lock you now only have that flimsy chain lock that looks like it could be ripped from the wall by a two year old,” I explained as I pointed at the insubstantial excuse for a lock.
 
“It's not that bad surely,” she laughed, slipping into a pair of sandals as she stepped into the genkan and came to stand beside me, giving it a judicious look. Picking it up and taking it in her hands she gave it a gentle tug and with a triumphant smile gave it another tug as she said cheerfully, “See? No prob-“
 
With a snap and several `clunks' as the screws came out from the wall, the device came off in her hand leaving several holes in the plastered surface. Eyes wide she stared at the piece of junk and then at the wall before she turned to me and hissed, “I barely even-“
 
“Touched it,” I finished for her. “Well, I believe that proves my point Higurashi.” I crossed my arms over my chest as she continued to stare at the chain in her hands.
 
“I can't believe I trusted my safety to this piece of junk for this many months,” she was grumbling when I made up my mind, and straightening my shoulders, said her name to get her attention.
 
“Yes?” she looked up attentively from the lock.
 
“I'm terribly sorry about this, but you need to go pack a bag,” I frowned apologetically and she stared at me, eyes dull.
 
“Pack a ba- what?” she sputtered.
 
“I can't let you sleep here by yourself in an apartment in Tokyo with no lock. I don't care how small you may feel the chances are that someone might randomly decide to break in tonight. I'm the one that melted your lock, so it's my responsibility and I'd rather not take the chances - however small they may be,” I responded.
 
“So how does the bag fit into this?” she asked, the pieces still not clicking into place apparently.
 
“I can't not go home and I can't leave you here by yourself so the best solution is for you to stay at the house tonight with Rin and I. There are more than enough rooms and I'll feel better knowing that you're safe. Rin would never forgive me if something happened and I'd never forgive myself,” I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “If only I hadn't gotten carried away and melted the lock. It'd just been such a long time since I'd melted something that I couldn't resis-“ I stopped as her eyes widened and I realized how what I was admitting must sound like.
 
Expecting her to say something along the lines of, “freak,” I was taken aback when she burst out laughing, startling Ran tremendously. Wheezing she set the pup down on the floor and said, “I never in my life would have guessed that I would ever hear anyone say something like that,” she paused as more laughter stole her breath. “That was priceless,” she finally managed to choke out.
 
“You'll need to bring some of the supplies for Ran, of course,” I added, quickly changing the subject as I watched the pup while she explored her new home for the first time since Kagome had released her from the kennel.
 
Growing sober Kagome said, “I don't know if I shou-“
 
“No `but's' Kagome,” I shook my head. “This is completely my fault and I apologize but I'm afraid that this is the best solution I can come up with. You can't stay here, and my house is big enough and you can bring Ran, where as trying to find a hotel where you could bring her could prove difficult. Of course if you would feel better about that I could look for a hotel room for you and pay the costs,” I offered.
 
“No,” she blurted, “I'm not having you pay for one more thing tonight.”
 
“Then it's settled,” I said, stepping out of my shoes and going to living room to collect the supplies that Ran would need for a night. “I'll carry the things for Ran out to the car while you get your bag packed.”
 
“Alright,” she sighed and walked towards what I assumed was the door that led to her bedroom muttering quietly to herself, “but if word of this get outs to anyone I won't hear the end of it for months. I can't believe I'm doing this. I must be losing my marbkes…”
 
 
“You should have seen it,” Sango gushed happily and I could practically see little stars glittering her eyes. “It was so romantic. It was like suddenly the two of them weren't there in the room with me anymore, like they had gone somewhere else or to another time… As if maybe they had been in a similar position before,” she mused, eyes growing thoughtful. “I wonder how many times they've gotten close to kissing before…”
 
“I wonder if they're still kissing,” I said and then staring at her face until she looked at me I purred, “Like we should be doing right now.”
 
“I told you I was going to knock you down a peg or two, remember,” she grinned wickedly. “Your ego is in serious need of some work and nothing you do or say can convince me otherwise,” she teased as she waggled her eyebrows at me, daring me to challenge her claim.
 
Gleefully I rose to the challenge and showed her exactly why I thought she should change her mind - which she did after less than a minute.
 
 
I knew it was fairly late when the sound of the car and the light of the headlights woke me. Looking at the clock on the DVD player my suspicions were confirmed when I saw the glowing green numbers reading 12:40. “Well, well, well,” I smirked. “Maybe Sesshoumaru finally made a ballsy move for once. About time,” I laughed as I got up off the couch, stretching, slowly easing all of the kinks out of my back muscles, and walked to the door where I waited, leaning against the wall casually.
 
When it finally opened I already had my mouth open to make a smart comment when a familiar feminine scent hit my nose and I blinked in surprise as, not only Sesshoumaru but Kagome as well, walked through the door, both with their arms full. A small black and white pup swung it head in my direction, staring curiously at me with gorgeous light blue eyes from its perch in Kagome's arms and soon Kagome's eyes followed.
 
“Oh, Inuyasha,” she breathed, looking a bit startled, “Um, good evening.”
 
“Good Evening,” I replied, a bit of my suspiciousness creeping into my voice and Sesshoumaru looked at me sharply, giving me a look that promised a long and painful death if I didn't behave.
 
“Good Evening Inuyasha, how was Rin?” he asked, voice brooking no argument.
 
“Great,” I said, staring at Kagome who was with every second I stared at her growing redder and redder. “She went to bed a few hours ago, but asked that you come see her when you got back.”
 
My brother coughed, demanding that I leave Kagome alone and I almost ignored him. She was just so easily embarrassed, it seemed, that I was very quickly discovering that I liked pushing her buttons. And as an added bonus, if I pushed her buttons it in turn pushed Sesshoumaru's buttons, a life-long hobby of mine. With great effort I ceased staring at Kagome, who I of course noted, looked absolutely gorgeous tonight as well. Yes, I thought with a smirk, I would've had to call up Guinness to tell them that they needed to make a new category called `world's biggest idiot' if my brother hadn't made some type of move tonight… With a girl like that she, no doubt, has no lack of men knocking on her door so you have to make your move fast. Glad my brother seems to have finally gotten that through his thick head, I laughed.
 
“So,” I asked, tearing my eyes away from the vision to look at my brother who looked almost livid. So much fun, I cackled. “What brings you to Sesshoumaru's humble abode, Kagome?” I smirked, watching as Sesshoumaru's eyebrow twitched and Kagome's face turned several shades redder.
 
Frowning, my brother growled, “I stupidly broke Kagome's lock tonight when I tried to gain entrance into her house as her friend Sango didn'tt have a key.”
 
“How did you break her lock?” I asked incredulously, terribly disappointed.
 
He looked extremely miffed and muttered, “I got a bit carried away.”
 
“With a pick?!” I snorted, “I thought you had more control over your strength than that Sesshoumaru. What happened to your so called finesse?”
 
“I didn't use a pick you dimwit - if I had then there wouldn't be a problem,” he growled, running a hand through his hair as Kagome's face started to show signs of mirth even though it was obvious she was trying to hide it.
 
“If you didn't use a pick than what did you do? Pull the damn thing out of the door for crying out loud?” I asked, discreetly watching Kagome's face.
 
“No,” he growled, “Can we not talk about this?”
 
And then it clicked. “You didn't!” I hissed, eyes narrowed suspiciously. At his glower I continued, knowing that I had hit the bull's eye, “You melted the damn lock on her door? Sesshoumaru, when are you ever going to get over being so acid happy?”
 
“I am not `acid happy',” he growled, eyes narrowing dangerously.
 
“Who is the one that turned the malfunctioning fax machine into a bubbling mass of-“ I started with a mischievous glint in my eyes.
 
“Not another word Inuyasha,” he barked.
 
“And who is the one that melted the product Naraku sent to our office as a gift?” I continued goading him, watching in delight as Kagome's eyes got wider and wider and the mirth contained in those blue depths multiplied. Sesshoumaru on the other hand was not finding it amusing.
 
“That hardly counts,” he grumbled, “You know you wanted to do it too. Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to show Kagome to her room.” With a final glare of annoyance he turned on his heel and began walking down the hallway, long white hair swaying as he went, shoulders stiff. As Kagome passed I caught her amused eyes and winked causing her to cover her mouth, a quiet laugh escaping her lips.
 
 
After I had shown Kagome where she was sleeping I went to see Rin who was sleeping soundly until the light from the hallway lit on her face. With a small groan she sat up, blinking slowly and muttered as I reached her bed and sat down, “So Dad, did you finally tell her that you like her?”
 
“Rin,” I grumbled, “We've had this discussion before.”
 
“Well did you?”
 
“No, because that's not what's going on,” I replied giving her a look that said I was serious.
 
“Dad, I'm not an idiot,” she grumbled, looking up at me with eyes that said she knew everything. Which is just ridiculous, I thought grumpily, I am not that obvious. I know it.
 
“Yes you are,” she said with a laugh, as if I had spoken my thoughts out loud. “Honestly Dad, who goes out and buys expensive gifts just to thank their child's teacher for being nice?”
 
“How many times do I have to explain it to you Rin,” I growled, ruffling her hair affectionately. “I really appreciate everything she has done for you this semester. I was just thanking her.”
 
“With a dog that cost about 100,000¥?” she asked, eyebrow cocked and eyes dripping with doubt in a look that seemed oddly familiar. Oh right, she is my daughter, I thought. “Dad, I know we're rich, but we aren't frivolous with our money either. You like her; can't you just admit already? And if somehow your actions weren't obvious - which they are - the way you look at her and your scent when you're around her is enough for anyone like Uncle or I to be able to tell immediately. The phrase `crystal clear' comes to mind,” she smirked.
 
“Rin, you're just being silly,” I growled knowing full well that she was right. I did like the woman, very much, but I just couldn't admit it yet. It had been a big step for me to open up my heart, but I wasn't quite ready yet to take the next step required in the whole process: admitting my feelings.
 
“You're talking about yourself now, Dad,” she laughed. “But at least tell me you're admitting it to yourself. If you are then I'll be happy with that.”
 
“Rin, go to sleep,” I kissed her on the forehead.
 
“I'll let you retreat for now, but you and I,” she muttered, sending me a determined glare, “We're duking it out later, got that?”
 
“Understood, stubborn daughter of mine,” I sighed, standing up and walking to the door.
 
“We both know where I got that from,” she chortled. “Oh, Dad,” she said as I began to shut the door, “One more question.”
 
“Yes Rin,” I smiled tiredly. What will the overly intelligent, curious offspring of mine ask now, I wondered as I stared at her sitting up in her bed in the dark that was as bright as day to our eyes.
 
“Why is Teacher sleeping in the room down the hall?”
 
Shit.
 
 
End Chapter