InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning of Darkness ❯ Chapter 7

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 7

~*~*~

Kiyoshi watched the snow blowing outside the entrance of the cave. Sesshoumaru had left over an hour ago, and the unease that Kiyoshi had been feeling before last night returned.

“He said he’d be back later this afternoon, Kiyoshi. Just relax.” Aiko watched her brother.

“I know he said that, but... But I can’t believe that cold guy would care what happens to us.” Kiyoshi sighed, then looked at his sister. “I just have this feeling that if we don’t leave, something bad is going to happen.”

“Okay. When do you want to leave?”

Kiyoshi turned away from Aiko. He wasn’t surprised that she would just accept his decision like that, because she trusted his judgement without a doubt. But this time Kiyoshi was awash with emotions. Was it the right thing to do? Should he leave the cave and take the others with him? And why did he have such a sense of foreboding about staying and about leaving? He had a feeling either choice was going to be a bad one, he just couldn’t figure out why.

“Let’s leave now.” With that, they both loaded the kids on the sled, bundling then up with the blankets, then headed out into the snow.

They walked in silence for a couple of hours. Kiyoshi’s mind was wandering to the conversation that he had had with his uncle the previous night. Were his parents really dead, or would his uncle be able to find them?

A sound to the side startled both Aiko and Kiyoshi into stopping. “What’s going on?” came a little voice from the sled. Naoko poked his head out of the covers to see why they stopped.

But Aiko and Kiyoshi were staring at the spot on the side of the road. Something was coming out of the brush and it wasn’t just a wild animal. It was a bear demon, but it was staring at them like he wanted to have them for it’s next meal. Long strings of drool hung from it’s mouth, bringing attention to its long, pointed teeth. It’s solid red eyes locked onto them and began to approach.

“Aiko, get them out of here!” Kiyoshi palmed his knife and took up a fighting stance. Aiko rushed into the trees dragging the sled with her.

Kiyoshi held the demons gaze for a moment before it roared and ran straight for him. Kiyoshi jumped up, just missing being gored. He landed behind the demon and held tight to his knife. He had to keep it distracted long enough for Aiko to hide the others. But at that moment, Aiko came out of the woods her eyes wide. The demon eyed her and started towards her, forgetting about Kiyoshi all together.

“No!” Kiyoshi jumped in between the demon and Aiko. He charged the demon, his knife held in an attack stance. But when Kiyoshi was within striking distance, the demon turned, clubbing Kiyoshi in the side of the head, sending him careening to the right. He hit a small pile of snow and laid their, motionless. Blood stained the snow.

Aiko screamed, and turned to head for her twin, but the demon blocked her way. She stared at it in horror as it slowly approached her. Fear kept her from breathing or moving. But when the demon was withing reaching distance of her, she screamed again, expecting the arm the demon raised was going to club her to death, like her twin.

A shadow passed over the top of their heads, and a swishing sound followed the sword that fell on top of the demon, slicing him down the middle. Aiko collapsed in a heap of relieved tears as her uncle turned and looked at her. But the relief lasted only a moment, when she remembered Kiyoshi. Tears still glistened on her cheeks as she ran over to her brother. But before she could flip him over to look at the damage, a strong arm pulled her up away from her brother.

“Go back to the other children and wait there for me.” Was all Sesshoumaru said. Aiko looked at him for a moment, then did as she was told. Sesshoumaru looked back down at the lifeless body of his nephew. His eyes were half closed, but held no sign of life.

Sesshoumaru gently turned the boy over to examine the wound on the side of his head. There was no visible damage except the blood that was leaking out of the boy’s ear. Sesshoumaru gently touched the side of the boys head and had to stop the cringe of disgust. The skull under the skin was shattered.

Sesshoumaru pulled out Tenseiga and laid it across the boy’s chest. A few moments later the boy gasped for air, his eyes popping open and looked around wildly. When Kiyoshi’s eyes landed on Sesshoumaru, they widened considerably.

“We should get back to your sister. She’s worried about you.” Was all he said. Sesshoumaru turned and started to walk away.

“Thank you.” Kiyoshi said it softly, but Sesshoumaru heard it.

When they reached the other children, Sesshoumaru took them all back to the cave. “Would you mind explaining to me why you left when I expressly told you to stay inside this cave?”

His voice was soft, but it held a menace that promised retribution if he didn’t receive an answer promptly. The other children were playing in the corner of the cave. Aiko was with the other children as well, so there was no way Kiyoshi could get out of this.

“You wouldn’t believe me.”

“Try me.”

“I didn’t think it was safe here. Or out there, but I kept feeling like if we stayed, something bad was going to happen.”

“You will start listening to me, boy, or so help me, I will tie you up and leave you in the corner of this cave, until your parents can take you off my hands.”

Kiyoshi’s head snapped up. “Did you find them, then? Are they alive? Are they coming here?” His excitement was barely contained as he asked these questions.

“I believe they are alive. At least they were when they left your village to look for you.”

Disappointment was sharp in Kiyoshi’s throat. Of course if Sesshoumaru had found them, they would be there with him.

“I will be looking for them again tomorrow, but this time you will wait in this cave, do you understand? If you have to leave it for any reason, do not go out of sight of the entrance.” Sesshoumaru watched Kiyoshi pointedly until he received a nod. “Good. Do not make me regret trusting you again, Kiyoshi.”

~*~*~

Ack, I know this part was a little violent, but I have to set the scene. *sigh* But other than that, did ya like it??? ^_^ Hope so, cuz the reunion is coming up! YAY!!!! Oh, just wait! I have lots of stuff planned to make this reunion... umm... interesting! Mwa ha ha ha..... *evil grin*

As always, thank you to the nice people who were kind enough to review. Tis always apreciated. Please be Kind, R/R. We authors thrive on it. ^_~