InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Birthday ❯ The Birthday ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Birthday
 
 
Inuyasha Belongs to Rumiko Takahashi
 
(This one is for those of you who wanted to know what happened next….)
 
 
“I told you we shouldn't have come!” Inuyasha said, as he paced in tight circles around the small hut. “It's too close to your time.”
 
Kagome leaned forward, breathing in quick gasps. She waited until the contraction passed before she spoke. “It will be fine, Inuyasha. I've done this before, you know. Besides,” she paused, as another contraction hit, “I don't want to miss Kazuki's new trick.”
 
Sango quickly put her hand behind Kagome's back to help her sit up a little higher. “Inuyasha, why don't you take a walk?” she suggested, looking darkly at Kagome's husband as he circled around them both like a predator, or a nervous father.
 
“I don't want—oh, all right, but I'll be right outside,” Inuyasha reluctantly agreed, as he caught glares from both women. He slid open the door and left, casting one last anxious glance behind him.
 
“Go!” said Sango. Inuyasha went.
 
It had been a disaster from the start. Kazuki had wanted to come back to Slayer School during his winter vacation from regular school, and Kagome didn't want him to go by himself. She still had about a month to go in her pregnancy, and even Junko ok”d her for the trip through time. Inuyasha had been against the idea, but of course, no one listened to him. So, the whole family bundled up in their feudal era clothes, Kazuki in his slayer outfit, and they used Tetsusaiga to go back to the old well. Kagome had allowed Kazuki to go directly to the slayer village using his own unique time skills, so Miroku met them with a wagon. It was a good thing, too, because Kohaku had been out patrolling in the area. Mayumi, who insisted on sitting up front with her Uncle Miroku, watched with bright eyes as the man in slayer clothing approached their wagon. She was so heavily bundled up that her snowy hair and hanyou ears were hidden. Even so, Kohaku started in surprise to see her golden eyes gazing back at him.
 
“Hanyou?” he asked curiously. Inside the wagon, hidden under a pile of merchandise, Inuyasha held his breath, ready to spring out at any moment if the need became apparent. Kagome clutched at him, trying to hold him in place, as if that would work.
 
“Why, yes, how astute of you, Kohaku,” replied Miroku smoothly. “She's the daughter of a dear friend of mine. We look after her now and again.”
 
Kohaku stared thoughtfully at the little girl for another moment, then he nodded. “Good to see you. Tell Sango I will bring Rin and the twins to visit in the spring, when the roads are better.” He glanced pointedly at Miroku's heavily laden wagon.
 
Kagome had been very quiet for the remainder of the trip. Later, Inuyasha was sure the jostling of the wagon had caused her to go into labor, although she told him that wouldn't have caused it. She thought maybe they'd got the date wrong. Sango simply said these things sometimes happened after you had several children. She should know.
 
Kazuki had remained behind in the slayer village so he could meet up with Hiroshi and his other slayer friends. When the wagon bearing Inuyasha, Kagome and Mayumi arrived at the village, Kazuki jumped up onto the top excitedly. “You have to see my new trick!” he shouted. “It's so cool!”
 
Kagome had put one hand on her stomach and said, “Honey, can it wait until tomorrow? Mama's a little tired right now.”
 
Inuyasha had practically thrown the little slayer out of the wagon. He bent solicitously over Kagome and listened with one ear to her belly. They should have just stayed home and let Kazuki come by himself this time. As soon as Kagome felt up to it, he would use Tetsusaiga and bring them all home again.
 
However, once they were settled in their same little hut they used whenever they visited the slayer village, Kagome's discomfort resolved itself into full-blown labor. Kazuki had already run back to the practice field outside the village to work on his new trick some more. Miroku followed after him with Mayumi to make sure he stayed away for the duration of the labor. He had agreed to keep Mayumi occupied until after the new baby was born. It wouldn't do to have either hanyou child remain too close to the birthing room. Their sharp noses would pick up the tangy scents of their mother's labor and misinterpret them as harm being done to her. Even Inuyasha was having a hard time not reacting to the sights and smells of his wife in labor, which is why he was currently banished from the hut.
 
A thin wail rose from within the walls of their hut. Instantly, Inuyasha was on his feet. He pushed his way past Sango and stared down at his wife, who held their newborn child to her breast as Sango cleaned up. He would have thought he'd be used to this by now. It was his third time, after all. But Inuyasha was visibly trembling as he took in the sight of mother and child, both safe, their combined ordeal finally over. Kagome was so brave. So was his . . . son? Daughter?
 
“It's a boy,” Kagome said, smiling. “What will we call him?”
 
“Koji.” Inuyasha pronounced. They had talked about it before, of course. Kagome had liked the name for a boy.
 
Kazuki had caught wind of something different in his mother's scent and rushed back to the village despite Miroku's attempts to keep him busy. He put two and two together and realized that his mother was probably having the new baby. Before he went into the hut, he paused so his father could recognize his scent and invite him in.
 
“He's so small,” said Kazuki, reaching out a hand to touch his new brother's tiny ears.
 
Miroku came in next, carrying Mayumi, who whimpered slightly at all the strange new smells. Inuyasha held out his arms and Mayumi jumped into them, then stared at the tiny baby her mother was holding. She sniffed carefully, and squirmed a little in Inuyasha's grasp so that she could get a little closer. Inuyasha let her, although he kept a loose hold around her waist. The baby wailed again, and Mayumi scooted back, surprised.
 
The next day Kagome felt well enough to walk around a little bit. She insisted on going out to the practice field to see Kazuki before she would even hear of Inuyasha taking her home.
 
“Look what I can do!” Kazuki stood in the center of the field, the other slayer youths carefully arranged behind him. They had seen this trick already. Kazuki raised his sword, which was made from the filings of Tetsusaiga, above his head. At the far end of the field was a haphazard pile of sticks, about half the height of a man. Kazuki slammed the sword to the ground and a blinding flash of yellow light raced along the path of the sword directly towards the pile of sticks. When the light hit the pile, it shattered into sawdust. Kazuki turned triumphantly towards his parents. “See?”
 
Inuyasha was impressed. It was a rudimentary Kaze no Kizu, no doubt. Only one line of energy, but still. Kazuki was just a kid. “Good job, son!” he shouted. Kazuki beamed in pleasure.
 
He bounded over to his parents. Inuyasha held Mayumi while Kagome cradled the new baby in her arms. Kazuki peered at his little brother's face. “Did you see that, Koji?” he said. “Neat trick, huh? Someday I'll teach you how to do it, ok?”
 
Kagome laughed. “You'll have to wait a few years for that,” she said.
 
Kazuki paused as he thought of something. “Mom? Since Koji was born in this time, does that make him older than me?”
 
“You'll always be Koji's big brother,” his mother assured him. But she couldn't help wondering what date they would put down when they eventually went back to Japan for the baby's Naming Ceremony. Sesshomaru was a stickler for accuracy. And technically, this child was born five hundred years in their past.
 
“Keh, let's go home,” Inuyasha said, drawing Tetsusaiga.
 
 
THE END