InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Blood Rage ❯ Home at Last ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of  their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

---------------------

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on March 26, 2012 for drabble #23. Won 2nd place.

Title: Home at Last
Author: ananova
Word Count: 441
Prompt: Mist
Genre: Family
Rating: K
Warnings: None
Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: Inuyasha returns home after being injured in battle. Follows The Blood Rage.

----------------------


Inuyasha sighed as the village came into view. His hand clutched his side where he could feel the bandages wrapped around his injured chest. Miroku had argued with him, telling him it would be better to wait and rest, allow his wounds to heal a bit before heading home. But Inuyasha had shot that idea down. All he wanted was to go home and see his family.

He winced in pain a moment. He could feel his bones knitting back together and it wasn't a pleasant sensation. He winced again as the pain brought the memory of being injured to the forefront of his mind, and with it the memory of the oni's threat against his family.

“I kill you now and feast on your bones,” it told him. “Then I find your family and feast on theirs. I can smell them on you, a woman and young ones. They'll make a fine dessert,” it leered.

He still felt rage at that threat, even with the oni defeated and reduced to dust. That threat was the driving force behind his urge to return home as quickly as possible. Despite knowing that his family should be perfectly safe he had to see it with his own eyes. He couldn't rest until he knew they were safe.

He quickly headed toward his hut, barely acknowledging any of the villager's greetings with a wave of his hand. All he wanted was to see his family and nothing was going to keep him from that.

He paused as he neared his hut, his eyes taking in the sight of his two children playing in front of the hut while Kagome hung the washing on the line to dry. He greedily drank in the sight of his family, safe, healthy and whole, his eyes misting over with tears as relief and happiness filled him.

Jomei's head shot up. “Papa!” he called, racing toward him. He was quickly echoed and followed by Izayoi.

Inuyasha dropped to his knees, his arms opened wide before they encircled his children as they threw themselves at him. He winced but made no comment as they clung to him, upsetting his still healing ribs.

Kagome followed the children, a worried look on her face. She had seen his wince, he could never hide anything from her, at least not for long. “Are you alright?”

He smiled even as his sight grew blurry from the tears that misted over them. He reached out to snag her, pulling her into his embrace along with the children. “I am now.” He was home with his family, everything was alright now.