InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Box ❯ The Box ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Name of Fiction/Chapter: The Box
Drabble Entry #: 98. Asylum
Characters Involved: Kagome & Inuyasha
Fandom or Original: Inuyasha
Rating of Fiction: G
Word Count: 611
For as long as I could remember, I've always been here. Where here is? I do not know.
 
The darkness was pressing in. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't see. Her chest tightened further. Painful. Never ending. With a strangled voice she whispered for light.
The bright beam of fluorescent lighting flickered on, swallowing the darkness within the chamber. The pain in her chest lessened. Her ability to breathe had finally returned in full force. It was always like this. Every day she struggled to revive herself into the waking world.
She sat up in her small twin size bed, and rubbed an ivory white hand over her face. Another night has passed, another day begun… or was it the opposite? She had never seen daylight as the room contained no window to the outside world. Her room only contained a giant steel gray door to the hallway or was it the outside world? She had never left the room to know where that door led to. In fact, she had never seen that door open. Ever.
The room was covered in white painted walls and the floor was adorned in a downy peach carpet. Besides a small bathroom area enclosed by a white curtain, her small white linen bed, the tray where her food and water appeared each day, and a security camera high in the ceiling, there was only one other object in the room: a floor to ceiling window that viewed into the room adjacent to herself.
Seeing the window, she slowly slipped her feet out from her covers of her bed. She wiggled her toes into the carpet for a moment, bringing the life back into her appendages. Then standing, she adjusted her white linen pants and straightened her equally ivory blouse. She ran a hand through her ebony waist length hair to bring a little semblance of order before she walked toward her window.
She smiled lightly as she put her hand up against the window, peering into the darkened window. She had only a moment to wait before a large white hand appeared directly over her own. The fingers were a good inch longer than hers with sharp pointed tips. She knew these hands nearly as well in detail as her own.
Light flooded behind the glass and a figure appeared, his hand pressed on the glass. He wore the same clothes as she did, but that's where the similarities between the two disappeared. Where her hair was black as the darkness she first awoke to, his was as blinding white as lights overhead. His eyes were a deep luminescent gold, while hers was a pale color hard to distinguish in the window. He also had strange white appendages on his head that would twist and rotate searching for sound. She knew they must be his ears, but she could never decide what he could possibly be listening to.
She moved her hand on the glass a few inches, his following the movement. Her smile broadened. This person was her only contact. Her earliest memories were always sitting in front of the glass, her hand playing with the boy on the other side. Where did he come from? She didn't know. How old was he? She also didn't know. All she did know was that each day he was there when she woke and still there when she slept.
“Good morning, Inuyasha.”
She saw his lips move, and she smiled. She may have never heard his voice, but she could still tell what he had said. “Good morning, Kagome.”
 
I have been here forever. But I am not alone. He is also with me. Trapped. Together.