InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Conqueror's Wife ❯ Front Lines ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Where is chapter 11? Where did FF.net put it? I am trying very hard to fix it. If you still can't see it and want to read it, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. I'm so sorry! I just don't know where it is!

Disclaimer: I have nothing.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Kagome couldn't believe her eyes. What she was seeing now was the vilest thing she had ever witnessed. She had heard stories of war from her husband for years, but he never told her of this. All around the soldiers were dropping like flies. They would charge and then arrows would pierce their armor and all too thin skin. The ground was littered with bodies. Men had to step over their fallen comrades to continue with their struggle. Blood was everywhere. It stained the earth, each and every blade of grass and carrot stalk. The land they were fighting so intensely over was only a planting ground. Kagome couldn't understand why the field was so important to shed so much blood over. Hiten ensured her it was. Every inch the opposing army moved forward was a defeat. They would protect the farmland with their lives. It was a symbol of their country. Of course that was easy for him to say. He sat atop a hill on his horse with her behind him. They were watching the battle like it was a play. They were completely removed and out of danger. But Kagome knew that this was no play. Theater had happy endings. After the curtain call, the dead men would rise and take their bows. These men though, would never get up. Their life was gone. Their wives were widowed. Their children were orphaned. All the agonizing screams were too real. Even the best actors couldn't duplicate that. The sounds these men were making were only humanly possible when a sword had plunged through one's chest. No, this was no play.

Her husband was watching silently. He had a look of concern on his face. Kagome knew that his worry was not about the dying men. They were doing their duty. They were easily replaceable. He had spoken earlier that morning about the fact that they had enough ships and could now draft all the laborers who worked there. The look was for the outcome of the battle. That was all that mattered to him. Suddenly, her husband gasped.

"There he is," he hissed.

Directly across from them, on the opposite hill, were two men on horseback. They both had long white hair that was held back by leather thongs. Like their spirits, nothing could restrain the strands all the way, and the bottom and their bangs waved in the wind. They were watching the battle too.

"The man in the white yukata is General Sesshoumaru. I have fought that son of a bitch many times before. Battle after battle he beats me. I am not used to being on the defense. Look at how he sits on his horse like some kind of royalty. I hate him."

Kagome looked at him as her husband instructed. He did look very regal. He seemed to know the outcome of the battle was going to be in his favor. This whole business of war appeared to be boring to him. He was not worried about commanding the army. He may have been more worried about getting home on time for dinner. As amazing as he was, it was not him that she focused on.

"Who is that man next to him, Lord Hiten?" She thought she knew but what if they just resembled each other?

"I have no clue. I've never seen that bastard before. He moves just like Sesshoumaru though." Kagome had a clue. That man wore a yukata of red and was adorned with medals. To his side was a large sword. Kagome had only seen material that bright once before, in a chest in her lover's home. But Inuyasha was only a shipyard worker wasn't he? He spent all day and night working on the floating war vessels. That man looked just like her love though. She couldn't be mistaken.

"Lord Hiten!" A squat young man was running up to the horse. "Lord Hiten!"

"What is it boy?"

"Lord Hiten, come quickly! There is something wrong with the ships!"

Kagome felt the horse jerk toward the river where the ships were located. She turned to gaze at the man in red again, but he was already gone.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Oooooooo! Only two chapters left! Review, my pretties, review!