InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Crying Game ❯ The Games We Play ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

DISCLAIMER: Sadly, I do not own Inuyasha. I just like to play with them.

The Crying Game

Ch.6

By: Lara Winner

The shrill ringing of the bell broke the silence marking the end of the third Monday Kagome was back in school. The classroom came to life as Kagome's fellow students began shoving their books into their backpacks and filing out of the door. Kagome started to follow suit only to be stopped by her teachers kind voice.

"Higurashi, I want to talk to you for a moment." He smiled, motioning her to stand by his desk. She tried to read his expression but his brown eyes gave nothing away. It made her nervous as she faced the portly, balding man.

"Yes Sir?"

A frown wrinkled his brow as he pulled a sheet of paper from the top of a stack that sat on his desk. Flicking his eyes over then paper, he made Kagome wait another moment in tense silence before handed the paper to her to look at. She recognized instantly. It was the test they had taken Friday. Her jaw nearly dropped at her score. She failed the test. She failed…

"I don't think I need to explain why I wanted to speak with you." He replied. "Kagome, I know you have been very sick and I understand it has been a trying period for you, but you and I both know you are capable of better then a 67. I've looked over your records and you are passing incredibly well in you other courses, especially history. I don't understand why math is giving you so many problems."

"Mr. Wasikai I wasn't prepared. I know that's not an excuse but maybe I could take it over. I've been studying very hard-"

"Kagome," The older man held up his hand motioning her to silence. "I am very sympathetic to your plight which is why I'm going to go against my usual procedure and give you extra credit work to pull up your average by the end of the semester."

Kagome breathed a silent sigh of relief as she took the thick packet of worksheets and the page of outlined text book chapters. "Thank you Mr. Wasikai."

"It's due two weeks from today. Don't disappoint me Higurashi." He nodded, dismissing her.

Kagome made her way to the school yard thoughtfully hefting the papers in her hand. It was a lot of work but she would do it. She was going to graduate with her class no matter what. And now that she didn't have the Shikon Shards to contend with she could devote all her free time to her neglected studies.

Sharp pain settled in her heart and she hugged the papers to her chest as she thought about HIM. After two weeks she couldn't get her mind of off the hanyou. Almost every waking thought was centered on Inuyasha. She couldn't concentrate in class. She found it hard to sleep at night and when she did sleep he filled her dreams taunting her with what she couldn't have. She was so tired of hurting.

Kagome chewed on her lip nervously, her eyes darting around for Eri, Ayumi and Yuka. Seeing the cost was clear she escaped the school campus intent on getting home before her friends spotted her. As dear as they were, she was fed up to the brim with their endless questions. They were always asking about the 'two timer'. But there was nothing she could tell them. Of course it wasn't like they would listen. They seemed content to give her an imaginary love life and right now she didn't have the patience or the heart to play along. It was just too much.

"Hey! Kagome! Wait up!"

Oh this was worse… much worse….

Biting back a curse Kagome looked up toward the call of her name and forced a smile. "Um.. uh…Hi Houjou."

"How are you feeling today Kagome?" The young boy asked sweetly as he came up beside her.

"Oh okay I guess." Kagome said, frantically searching for an excuse to get the boy to go away. "I wish I could stay but my Mom wants me to come straight home. Bye Houjou."

Houjou continued to smile, not phased. "Well, I could always walk with you."

He persisted and Kagome suppressed the urge to stamp her foot in frustration. What would it take to discourage the guy? Houjou refused to take the hint that she wasn't interested and it almost made her feel uncomfortable. But she knew he was harmless. He seemed genuinely concerned about her well being, unlike someone else she could name. So he kept her company on her walk home? What could it hurt?

"Alright." She conceded and began walking not waiting to see if he followed.

The walk to Kagome's home was made in companionable silence. Houjou seemed to be lost in his own thoughts and Kagome let him be. The peaceful quiet gave her time to pull herself together and put the wretched hanyou that turned her world upside down out of her mind. She longed to forget Inuyasha, if only for a little while.

When both teens finally reached their destination Kagome turned to Houjou and smiled. "Thanks for the company. I suppose I'll see you tomorrow at school."

"Of course. Say, if you're having trouble in calculus I don't mind helping you study." Houjou offered happily.

The offer took Kagome by surprise. Her eyes narrowed. "And just how do you know I'm falling behind?" She asked sharply.

A blush stained the boy's cheeks and his bright smile turned sheepish. "Uh, Mr. Wasikai suggested I talk to you about tutoring. If you're not feeling up to it I understand. I know when I'm sick the last thing I want to do is study."

As Houjou continued to ramble on Kagome suddenly saw a golden window opportunity. For the first time in weeks all thoughts of the Sengoku Jidai and the blasted male that broke her heart flew out of her head. Looming in front of her was the answer to her second most important prayer. With Houjou's help she just might graduate on time.

"Really? You'll help me?" Houjou nodded and she could have hugged him. Instead she settled for the next best thing. "Why don't you stay for dinner and we can get started right away?"

Houjou blinked. When Kagome grinned enthusiastically a small smile tilted his lips. "Sure Kagome. Whatever you want." He said softly, following her inside the house.

****

Inuyasha pulled himself up the side of the well with ease. Crouching in the darkness, he sniffed the air and wrinkled his nose in disgust as a clash of foreign scents assaulted him. His ears perked up straight as he strained to hear any form of noise near the shrine. To his relief nothing alerted his senses or seemed out of place. Reluctantly, Inuyasha relaxed his guard and without further delay headed for the house at the bottom of the stone steps.

Light shone from Kagome's bedroom window illuminated a patch of grass with the soft yellow glow. Out of habit he kept to the deep shadows that lined the house and positioned himself beneath her window. Somewhere along the line he lost track of how many times he found himself in this position, ever keeping guard over Kagome and if he was lucky he would get to steal a few glimpses of her too.

The irony and lack of dignity of the situation did not escape him and he couldn't help but crack a derisive smile. Here he was reduced to hiding in the shadows just to be near his mate. The very idea was absurd. It went against every fiber of his being. Despite the inu-blood running through his veins, he would never be brought so low as to beg. Hiding and scurrying around like a stray was where he drew the line.

The sound shuffling footsteps sent his ears erect and he held his breath straining to listen. The movement continued for a moment before the murmuring of voices brought his body to attention. Rising, he peeked through the glass and stiffened upon seeing that the object of his thoughts was not alone as usual. Inuyasha recognized the tall dark haired boy that was slowly rising from his seat on Kagome's bed. His name was Hota or Hojo something-or-other and it was obvious from the mooning expression on his face why he was here, alone with Kagome, in her bedroom…

Inuyasha froze, unable to tear his glowering stare away from his human rival. His insides tightened with sudden force and his fists clenched as the young man then moved to lean over Kagome where she sat at her desk. Her school books were spread out before her, papers littered the floor and part of her bed. The soon-to-be-dead-man pointed to something in one of the books, then glanced sideways at Kagome, his face coming mere inches from hers.

A soft snarl escaped Inuyasha's lips before he could think better of it. His hackles were rising, every hair on his body was standing on end, bristling with the sheer energy of being challenged. That this stupid boy would dare to trespass on something that didn't belong to him was madness and Inuyasha was more than a little inclined to teach the bastard a lesson he wouldn't soon forget.

A few more words were exchanged between the two and then both Kagome and the idiot started to collect the books and papers, placing them back in their schoolbags. It wasn't long before they disappeared from the room and Inuyasha forced himself to take a deep breath. Thoughts of ripping the boy limb from limb played in his mind, each detail becoming more appealing by the second. That pathetic human was no match for him. Inuyasha could even give him a dark Shikon shard and the Tetsusaiga and he still would be no match for the dog-demon. What the fuck was Kagome doing with such a waste?

His ears picked up the opening of the front door and he found himself moving in the darkness to get a better view of what was going on. Crouching on the ground, Inuyasha watched as Kagome followed the boy onto the tiny porch.

"Thanks for helping me. I don't feel so lost as to where we are now." She said with a smile.

"Not a problem. You're a quick learner. You'll have that work done in no time." Replied the boy with a matching smile. A moment of silence stretched out as he made no move to take his cue and leave. He shifted in his place and then reached out a grasped Kagome's hand.

"Houjou what-"

"Will you go to the movies with me Saturday?"

The question seemed to take Kagome by surprise but Inuyasha barely noticed. Instead he found himself holding his breath and waiting for Kagome's response. She seemed to be weighing her answer carefully and the hanyou felt his heart sink as he realized she was actually contemplating the proposal.

"Uh..I.." She bit her lip nervously, looking completely uncertain. Then suddenly she chuckled. There was a bitter undertone to her voice as she answered, "Yeah, I'd like to go to the movies Saturday."

Houjou beamed with glee. "That's great. Well then, I'll see you tomorrow. Bye Kagome." With a final squeeze of her hand he turned and headed off into the night.

Inuyasha was paralyzed in stunned dismay. Before him Kagome watched the boy's figure till she could no longer see him. The uncertain expression was back on her face and one hand was against her throat idly twisting the Shikon stone in her slim fingers. Kagome sighed and a devious grin twisted her lips.

The grin was his undoing. White hot anger flooded Inuyasha's consciousness drawing forth a rage so fine any full blood youkai would be proud. Silently he moved back into the shadows, his paralysis broken by the need to lash out at his tormentor. Simple animal instinct told him to be where his prey least expected him to be. The element of surprise would be to his advantage leaving him a prime opening for a swift and merciless kill. But right now making a kill would not cool his rage, nor would it ease the vice grip that crushed his heart.

A challenge was made this night, questioning everything he claimed as his own. His mate was nothing more than a faithless bitch testing to see how far she could push him. And this boy was a fool if he thought he would live long enough to touch Kagome again. The need to prove his dominance was consuming Inuyasha. His pride was stung as his emotions were thrown to the ground once again.

Kagome's carelessness was about to get put to a stop…