InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Past of a Demon Warrior ❯ Rites of Passage ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kumouri stumbles through the flaming buildings, doing his best to avoid bandits as he comes closer to his home. Leaping the gate was easy - they probably just thought he was another bandit. He makes his way quietly and swiftly, to find his home roaring in flames. He dashes without a second thought and throws himself through the wall with a loud and painful grunt, to avoid the flames about the entrance. “Mother?!”
 
“Kumouri?” She is huddled in a corner away from the flames, holding a fairly large bundle to her chest. He sighs slightly and takes the bundle from her, then takes one of her hands and starts to lead her toward the hole he made in the wall. He looks about as he runs… losing his home, just like he always feared… He helps his mother through the hole, carrying the bundle under one arm, shaking such thoughts from his mind.
 
“We have to get through the gate, before the-..” He gasps as a bandit's sword flashes less than a foot from his face. He quickly releases his mother's hand, and draws his own sword, trembling violently. The bandit looks like a mere blur in his fear, and as he does his best to deflect the bandit's lunges, tears begin to fill his eyes. Despite his immense fear, he finds a sudden fury. “My mother and I are getting out of here, so move, you bastard!” With that last word, he lunges back, driving his sword into and through, due to his demonic strength, the bandit's chest. The body almost instantly goes limp on his blade. He pulls his sword out forcefully, letting the corpse fall, and takes his mother's hand again after sheathing his blade to lead her through the gate.
 
They run for what seems to be long hours, and they finally reach a place in the woods with a small pond with clean water and emergency rations in case of such raids. Some other villagers have already gathered here, but a majority of them are unaccounted for. Kumouri's mother walks over to the older villagers, leaving him to brood. He walks over to the nearest tree and falls harshly to the ground with his back leaning against the trunk. He pulls his sword up to look at it again for the first time. “I… killed the… killed…” His eyes go wide, and his cheeks start to blanch. He sits, staring at the blade for a good while.
 
A teenage girl from the village, a half wolf-demon, walks over and sits beside him. “Your sword's dirty, Genjy.”
 
Kumouri suddenly snaps out of it. “It's Genjan. That's more proper, or you could even call me by Kumouri. Why do you call me that, Sashi?”
 
The girl giggles slightly, swishing her tail behind her. “I think it fits you better. `Genjan' and `Kumouri…' they're both warrior's names. But this is the first time I've ever seen you with a dirty weapon. Genjy's cuter anyway.” She blushes slightly.
 
He sighs. “Fine, call me Genjy.” He looks up at her for the first time. “I'm leaving today, like for good. You still want to come with me?”
 
Sashi gasps for a moment, but nods in acceptance. “Yes, I'm going with you. You can't leave me behind!”
 
“Alright, but I swear… if anyone else starts calling me `Genjy,' you will be in trouble.” He smirks at her.
 
She still blushes slightly, but she laughs quietly. “When are we leaving?”
 
“When my mother comes back. I know she's expecting it.” He suddenly remembers the bundle under his arm, and opens it only slightly to look inside. “These are… the provisions she was getting ready for me…” He sighs. “She didn't take me lightly. Maybe I am too much like my old man.”
 
“Oh shut up and rest, we'll be leaving soon, remember? Going out into the world is the only way to prove yourself wrong, to show that you're not that much like your pops!” She gives him an encouraging smile.
 
He smiles. “You're right. Let's just both shut up and sit here for a while.”
 
Of course, they sit there for a couple of hours and talk about their memories in the village; things they'll miss, and things they won't…
 
And, of course, Kumouri's mother eventually returned to him, feigning a smile to appease his upcoming departure. “Young Genjan… The elders here say they understand why you're leaving. You are free to return whenever you like…” A tear falls down her cheek. “Genjan… Don't take the world lightly.” She embraces him tightly.
 
An elder calls out to the villagers in the area, who have grown in number. “In the grief of the attack… we must all raise our heads from weeping to bid farewell to Kumouri Genjan. The elders consider him an adult, even as a half-demon. He is known no longer by his title, but by his name. Genjan, farewell.”
 
Kumouri looks up, wide-eyed, at the villagers. For the first time, none of them seem to be bearing him any ill will. They are all giving him the courtesy of a farewell bow, even the elders. He and Sashi stand together and simultaneously bow low to the ground, the sword and bundle still in his hands.
 
The elder calls out again. “You may leave when you are ready.”
 
The two both raise their heads and exchange a glance at each other, then turn and leave the small refuge together without a word.