InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Side of the Sun ❯ Chapter Nine ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TsukuYouMaru felt as if someone had dropped a boulder the size of a mountain on top of him, and his mate's words raced around in his head. Inuyasha's mother let her servants beat the boy and repeatedly. How could any mother allow such a thing to happen to her child? It was cruel, it was barbaric, it was . . . no less than what he had done to Inuyasha as well. The bat youkai's eyes traveled to the floor, to the small crimson trail drying there, and he mentally cringed as he thought about his own actions towards the boy. Kira gazed at him, her expression one of great sorrow.
 
“Inuyasha does not trust humans,” she said. “He has a good reason for his mistrust, would you not agree?”
 
“Yes,” TsukuYouMaru replied, his tone soft. “I would agree with you, my love.”
 
The small part of him that had wanted to argue the point no longer could. There were such things as discipline and punishment for when a child misbehaved. Children were always finding ways to test their limits of the rules their parents set forth. It was how they learned what behaviours were acceptable and which ones would not be tolerated. Simply beating a child for no reason was something else entirely, and the bat youkai understood far too well the ramifications such occurrences had on a child. He had witnessed severe beatings of his friends at the hands of parents when he had been a youth, and TsukuYouMaru silently cursed himself for not noticing the caution in Inuyasha's behaviour. The boy kept himself at a distance from most of the human staff while always aiming to please his father. Inuyasha wanted to protect himself from ever being harmed like that again, and TsukuYouMaru could not blame him. It was a wonder the hanyou never screamed out when being “disciplined” by the bat youkai.
 
TsukuYouMaru brushed by his mate and out of the room he used for teaching. He did not see Inuyasha in the hallway, but the bat youkai knew where the boy was heading. If his schedule had not become too much of a mess, the boy's next set of lessons were with NatsuMaru. The elite captain undoubtedly would be much kinder to the boy than the rest of the tutors, and none of the other advisors would dare to disrupt the elite warrior's session. NatsuMaru had drawn his sword on numerous occasions when they tried to interrupt his lessons. Since he knew that was where Inuyasha was going, he would seek out the elite warrior as well.
 
“Is there something wrong, Master TsukuYouMaru?” a chill-toned voice inquired.
 
His heart leapt into his throat at hearing the daiyoukai's voice, and he whirled around to see Lord Kenmaru standing behind him. The daiyoukai held a sleeping Inuyasha in his arms, the child's head resting on his left shoulder. NatsuMaru flanked the demon lord on the right. Lord Kenmaru's eyes glittered with a hard edge, and TsukuYouMaru instinctively bowed to the inuyoukai. He had seen such a look once before, in the heat of that final battle with Lord InuTaisho, and he had hoped to never see such a harsh, bloodthirsty stare ever again. It seemed as if his wish was not about to be granted.
 
“I was looking for Lord Inuyasha,” he replied. “There was something I wished to discuss with him. That is all.”
 
“I see,” Lord Kenmaru murmured. He was showing considerable restraint, in TsukuYouMaru's opinion. He surmised it was because of Inuyasha. “And what is this something you wish to discuss with him?”
 
TsukuYouMaru heard the challenge in the daiyoukai's tone, a dare for the bat youkai to say it was a private matter between he and the hanyou. With the marks on Inuyasha's hands and his injured ankle, to say it was private guaranteed TsukuYouMaru a swift yet painful punishment. Lord Kenmaru knew more of Inuyasha's past than the bat youkai did, and the inuyoukai would not hesitate to protect the boy. Most of the original staff also would not hesitate, either. However, given his frantic exit of the room he had just been in, if he said it was nothing of great importance, he would be caught in a lie. Lord Kenmaru would see it as such and again would not hesitate in doling out some kind of a punishment, and TsukuYouMaru despised dishonesty. Perhaps it was why he had been feeling remorseful since Inuyasha had arrived for his lessons earlier. He had been dishonest himself, and he hated himself for it. He already had his answer before he had to debate what to tell the daiyoukai. It was better to tell the truth, in TsukuYouMaru's opinion, and receive whatever punishment Lord Kenmaru had in mind than to lie about why he was searching for the boy. Inuyoukai were also not fond of dishonesty and were known for severely beating liars as well as being notoriously protective of their young.
 
“It is a private matter, my Lord,” TsukuYouMaru said, straightening his back. “But I see that the young prince has fallen asleep. It is something that can wait until Lord Inuyasha awakens.”
 
“I see. A private matter that can wait,” Lord Kenmaru murmured. He turned towards NatsuMaru and handed the small boy over to the warrior. The boy never stirred once during the exchange, and TsukuYouMaru realized just how exhausted the child had become. “Take my nephew to Shinsei at once, NatsuMaru. I want his ankle treated before he injures it further.”
 
“Yes, my Lord.”
 
NatsuMaru bowed as best he could while holding the boy then he walked off. Lord Kenmaru returned his attention to TsukuYouMaru. The harsh glint had never left the daiyoukai's eyes, and TsukuYouMaru felt a chill steal along his spine. What was going to happen next was not going to be pleasant. Of that, TsukuYouMaru was certain. The daiyoukai took a step towards him.
 
“You and I, TsukuYouMaru, have much to discuss. Would you not agree?”
 
`The same words my mate just spoke.'
 
“I do, my Lord,” he replied, bowing once again.
 
“Good. Follow me.”
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha let out a soft moan, and his eyes fluttered in an attempt to open. His limbs felt heavy, though not in a bad way. He ached, but the pain was nowhere near the level it had been before he had fallen asleep. Then Inuyasha noticed he was tucked under some blankets, and his head was nestled on a pillow. A faint hint of medicines and ointments greeted his nose as well, an indication Shinsei had paid him a visit or he had paid the healer a visit. When had that happened?
 
“You are a very clever child, Inuyasha,” a male voice commented. He recognized the voice as belonging to TsukuYouMaru, one of his tutors, and Inuyasha looked in the bat youkai's direction. TsukuYouMaru sat a few feet from where he lay. “By keeping silent of your plight, you managed to uncover a conspiracy against you. I, for one, am quite impressed. Congratulations.”
 
“What are you doing here?” he asked, not caring about any conspiracies or empty praise from a youkai who despised him.
 
“To offer you my apologies, young prince. My treatment of you has been harsh and dishonourable,” TsukuYouMaru replied. “Not to mention very unbecoming as a father of a hanyou daughter.” The bat youkai paused and exhaled softly. “There is much I need to learn, young prince, and I do not expect you to accept my apology. Just know that it has been offered to you and with great sincerity. I am truly sorry for how I have behaved towards you.”
 
“Feeling guilty so soon?” Inuyasha asked, stunned by TsukuYouMaru's tone. He heard the sincerity in the bat youkai's voice, but he felt uncertain if he should believe what TsukuYouMaru had just told him. For all he knew, it was a ploy to get him to lower his guard, and Inuyasha could not afford to do that.
 
“If you wish to think so, then yes. I am feeling horrible and guilty for what I have done,” the bat youkai murmured. “However, I am not so sure about the so soon part. You have slept for an entire day and night, young prince.”
 
“What?!”
 
Alarmed, Inuyasha bolted forward, ready to take off and get ready for the day's tortures. Only, he felt a hand clasp his shoulder, and it held him in a sitting position. Startled even more, he turned his head to see NatsuMaru sitting behind him, a katana laying across the warrior's lap. The elite fighter wore a kind smile on his face, something Inuyasha noticed NatsuMaru never gave to anyone.
 
“Relax, child,” NatsuMaru said, his voice low and soothing. “You are in no trouble with anyone. Your uncle has seen to it as you truly needed the rest.”
 
“He has also . . . suggested some changes for your schooling,” TsukuYouMaru added. “I believe you will find them to be acceptable.”
 
“He has?” Inuyasha blinked. This seemed to be too good, more like a dream than a waking moment.
 
“Hai, young one.” NatsuMaru smirked. “He has. Like TsukuYouMaru, I believe you will find the changes to be quite acceptable. I also believe you will find it to be a little more at your pace.”
 
Inuyasha tilted his head, curious as to what the guard captain meant. There were times when Inuyasha had observed NatsuMaru speaking in riddles and only those serving under him understood what he was he was saying.
 
“How do you mean?”
 
NatsuMaru shared a glance with TsukuYouMaru. Glancing back and forth between the two full-blooded demons, Inuyasha saw them smile in a knowing fashion. They were sharing a secret. He knew that they were because he had witness his father giving similar looks to the Lady Yashira, and his realization only heightened his curiosity. What did they know that they could not tell him?
 
“You will find out soon enough, young prince,” TsukuYouMaru answered. “Today, you are to rest and regain your strength. Your uncle has decreed it.”
 
“But . . .”
 
“No arguments, little one,” NatsuMaru said. “You will do as you are told or I shall have to tickle your feet. Your father and your uncle have given me permission to do so. Now do as Master TsukuYouMaru has told you and rest.”
 
“Yes, sensei,” Inuyasha replied quickly. He lay down as well, trying to hide his feet in the process. They were quite sensitive to the touch, almost as sensitive as his little puppy ears. NatsuMaru chuckled and tousled his hair.
 
“That's a good pup,” he murmured. “TsukuYouMaru and I will watch over as you rest. No one will disturb you. You can sleep in peace.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
* * *
 
It had not taken Inuyasha long to fall back into slumber, but TsukuYouMaru noticed a soft smile on the boy's lips and a peaceful expression. NatsuMaru pulled the blankets over the boy's shoulders and brushed a hand over an ear.
 
“He is quite eager to please,” he commented. He shifted a little as his position had become quite uncomfortable. Lord Kenmaru had gone fairly easy on him.
 
“Too eager,” NatsuMaru said with a sigh. “And I fear it will forever be ingrained in him.”
 
“It will certainly leave him vulnerable.”
 
“He will be strong, not vulnerable,” NatsuMaru stated. “He has already proven that he is. Do you not agree, TsukuYouMaru?”
 
The bat youkai gazed at the slumbering form, contemplating the inuyoukai's words. Inuyasha had proven he possessed a great inner strength, and he was only a small child of six summers. He nodded.
 
“Yes. His father will be quite proud of him.”
 
“Yes. That Lord InuTaisho will be.”