InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Darkangel ❯ I'm Not Afraid ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: Ah crap... Sorry for not updating sooner. I had STAR (or CAT 6) testing this week. -_-

And to Tinuviel: Well, I guess they could die but then it'd be really hard for them to. 'Cause since they're wardens of their territory, they draw their power from the land and Charter and blah, blah, blah. Being in their own territory, they're constantly surrounded by the power of their land so like, they're uber-powerful. But being wardens, they're bounded to their land. Since they're so closely connected to the land they're bounded to, they can't leave without growing weaker and weaker, and eventually dying. It's like what happened to the Avarclon. He survived outside of Avaric, but could only do so for so long. So the lons can't leave their wards except for special cases, which will be explained later in the story. I hope that answered your question. If not, then just tell me and I'll, uh, try to explain it in some other way or something like that.

And Shaz: Nah, it's lons.

Oh, and, uh, the other characters (i.e. Sango, Kagura, Naraku, etc.) will be appearing some time around but I think the roles they will be playing will be ones that I make up and not from the book. Like Miroku's role in this story wasn't in the book, well, considering that I couldn't find a role suiting enough for him. So there's some originality there. But in this particular book (The Darkangel), I think the most focus is on Kagome, Inu-Yasha, and the other characters that have been introduced so far. But I think you'll probably only see glimpses of some of the characters until they're properly introduced in...well let's say, book 4? or 5? ^_^ Yeah, I have a feeling that this story will be taking some time. I think I'm going to have to put all of the other stories I've been planning to write on hold so I can focus on this one.













< br>













< br>

"But I have no intention of failing...
Tell me what I must do..."



The Darkangel
By: Renko-chan
Chapter 13

* * *



Kagome showed no sign of hearing. Yet the softness of the words confused her even more. But she kept her posture and strode swiftly away from him across the garden and took the steps into the caves.

* * *


The duarough was waiting by the riverbank with a small lamp in his hand. Once she saw him, Kagome could feel the burden on her heart disappear along with the numbness from the darkangel. She could feel herself smiling for the first time since the Pendarlon. The puny man fell back with a startled snort.

"Dear Charter, you've grown, child!" he exclaimed when Kagome reached the riverbank. "But I am very glad to have you back."

Kagome laughed, "I'm glad to be back, too, Little Mage of Downwending."

The little mage grinned ear - splittingly, "So, they still remember me, eh?"

Kagome nodded and took out the velvet pouch.

"Hm, the Avarclon's hoof, I believe?" he asked. "Good, good." Myouga took the pouch and tucked it inside of his robe. "Well, I must say, you sure took your time returning. I was afraid that you gave up in the middle of it and ran back home."

Kagome shook her head. Her hand flew to her neck where the scar still lay. "The vampyre bit me. It took some time for me to heal."

Myouga's face grew pale and held the small lamp higher do that he could see. He lowered the lamp and shook his head regretfully. "I am terribly sorry, Kagome-san. I never anticipated for that happen. I sent word ahead..."

"Don't worry. The Pendarlon came and save me," assured Kagome. "He left me with his people until I was alright again."

Myouga sighed with relief. "Well, at least I know now that I still have a little magic left in me." He clicked his tongue and shook his head again. "At first, I thought you meant that he caught you and left you to die when you said the vampyre bit you. But I could tell that he fought with the Pendarlon; seeing the slashes on his face and the crumpled wing. I was beginning to think that the Pendarlon was too late to save you considering that you took so long to come back."

Kagome couldn't hold back her smile at the comforting words of the little man.

"But enough with this!" He clapped his hands, suddenly becoming stern with himself. "I have work to do and so do you." He reached into the pouch and pulled the silver hoof out. "I need to start making the bridal cup and you need to make the gown." He paused for a moment before looking at Kagome with slight concern. With a quiet voice, he asked. "Really, are you sure you're alright?" Kagome nodded with a bright smile. Myouga laughed. "Good, good, then. I best be off, and you, too."

He hurried away, waddling down the sandy shore along the running river. Kagome's lips quirked up before she turned and walked back towards the steps that lead up to the castle - leaving the warmth and light of the caves back to the cold and dreariness of the vampyre's castle. Kagome shook off the chill. There was no time to be thinking about it. She had work to do.

* * *

When Kagome returned to the little room, the wraiths were no different from the first time she saw them. They paced around, rocked and moaned, shrieked and tore at their hair. All of them were still thin and their faces still had hollow eyes with stiff hair that hung limply from their small crowns. Kagome could still not tell them apart. The only difference was the garments that they wore were not drab and brittle but light and airy shifts.

The wraiths all saw her at the same time. Some gave feeble cries. Once she went into the room, they gathered all around her; some reached out to touch her, not believing that she was really there.

"You're back," they said. "You've come back. You were gone for such a long time. We grew lonely with no one to talk to and sing us tales. Why were you gone for so long?"

"I ran away," replied Kagome.

"But he caught you and brought you back," they moaned.

Kagome shook her head. "He caught me but I got away."

"But why did you return if you escaped him?" they asked with true curiosity.

Kagome smiled. "I only left because I had an errand to do. When I was done with it, I decided to come back."

"You are crazy," cried the wraiths. "You were safe away from him. Why did you come back?"

"Because I promised I'd help. I'm not going to leave you stranded here to die."

The wraiths looked at each other then smiled; or what looked like smiling. "We are very grateful." Their voices dropped to whispers. "But you have to hide. If the icarus finds you here, he'll surely kill you."

"He knows I'm here," said Kagome, picking her old spindle from the floor. "He'll kill me tomorrow." The wraiths began to moan again but Kagome stopped them. "Shush. There're lots of things to do between now and then."

She sat down on a low stool among the wraiths and started to spin. It had been months since she'd practiced, but had not lost knack for it. Immediately, gold thread sprang from her fingers and she let the spindle drop.

"Now," she said, "would you like to hear of my journey over the desert and under the plain?"

* * *

Kagome spent most of her time with the wraiths, spinning the garment for the vampyre's new bride. She told stories of her journey on the desert and plain. She also went up often to meet the gargoyles. Like before, they were starved and savaged. But after she fed them, they grew tame and docile once more. They still fought amongst themselves but some allowed her to pet them; some even took food from her hand.

Usually she would find herself studying the silver leashes that held them to the keep. The chains were linked to each brazen collar by a slotted sliver pin that could be slipped free with the proper sequence of sliding and turning. What stunned her was how human - made the collars and leashes looked and felt. There was no Charter or Free Magic in them. Nonetheless, the gargoyles tore hopelessly at their shackles. Kagome guessed that only human hands could trip the bolts and free them from the chains.

If she wasn't with the wraiths and the gargoyles, she was with the duarough. He had transformed the treasure room into a somewhat like laboratory. Complex metal tubes twisted their way around the room in a way that Kagome could hardly get in. Dozens of dusty old books littered the floor in piles; though in the tiny center, a tiny fire burned.

"So," started Kagome, sitting beside the small fire, "how do you plan to kill the vampyre?"

The little man bustled around the tubes, one hand drawing Charter Marks in the air and pulling them into the bubbling containers while in the other held a big, fat brown book. Placing the book on an empty table, he cleaned his hands with his robe and came to sit by the fire with Kagome.

"Out of this," he answered, gesturing at his work. "I'll make a special potion with the bridal cup."

"You want to poison him?" said Kagome, barely above a whisper. It was strange how she never brought herself to see what method that they would use. Poison. The word itself brought bitterness into her mouth.

"Well, actually," Myouga chided. "the darkangel is poisoned already. This cup can't harm any living creature, like you and me. As for the vampyre, well..."

"What do I have to do?"

"You need to give this cup to the bride so she can give it to the vampyre to drink. You can do it when you're attending her. By the way, how's the gown the coming along?"

"It's almost finished," answered Kagome. "I think it'll be done by late afternoon." She hesitated for a minute. "Um, about the icarus. I haven't seen him lately. Do you know where he is?"

Myouga rose and dusted his hands clean. He turned back to his distillery, his hands resumed weaving Charter Marks together. "He left," the little man finally replied. "Went to look for his new bride." He paused to look over his shoulder at Kagome. "How have you been? Are you still having nightmares?"

Kagome's eyes drifted to the fire and she nodded. "Sometimes." Nowadays, her dreams were rarely free of the icarus. It was strange how when she was under his power, she never dreamed of him. Kagome rubbed her cold arms and murmured more to herself than to the duarough. "When the darkangel's dead, they won't bother me anymore."

It made her shiver thinking about what they were going to do. But then it wasn't like the alternative was any better. She stood and forced the thought out of her mind. If they did not kill the vampyre, the world would be doomed. She stopped rubbing her arms and sighed. "Well, since the vampyre's gone, I guess I'll have to go free them."

Myouga half-turned. "Who? the wraiths?"

Kagome shook her head. "No, the gargoyles. I was thinking about freeing them once the vampyre left."

The man's little brows furrowed together. "When he comes back, he won't be very happy, Kagome-san."

Kagome shrugged her weary shoulders. "It doesn't matter. I don't care what makes him happy anymore. The gargoyles are suffering so I need to free them."

The duarough watched her leave, astonished at how five months of desert life had changed her.

* * *

The gown was finally done by the afternoon. It was a pale creamy white and thin and light as a feather. Afterwards, she left for the gargoyles' tower. The gargoyles started to yip with anticipation when they heard her steps. Once she emerged from the steps, they flew from their platforms, straining against their chains. Kagome greeted each of them, caressing and soothing them with comforting words.

"Run," she whispered. "Run far away where he can't find you if I fail."

Her hand hovered over the pins that held the chains to their collars. Immediately, she felt the pins boil under her hand. She drew her hand away and wrinkled her nose from the reek of Free Magic. It was if she awakened a spell or something. Kagome closed her eyes and hesitantly reached to touch the pins, bracing herself for the boiling pain that would burn her hand.

Charter symbols erupted from her hand, pushing the Free Magic away, obliterating it.

Kagome, with eyes clenched tight, pushed herself to touch the pins. Instead of the anticipated burning pain, she felt the cool hard metal under her hand. Kagome forced her confusion away and slipped the pins out, but the collars themselves would not come free. The burns on her hands were proof of that. Some stopped and nuzzled her one last time before staggering into the air, surprising Kagome that they could fly that fast on their skeletal wings. The ones that could not fly plunged from the tower and onto the grassy plain, seemingly without injury. They sprang off in different directions, screeching cries of liberty.

Kagome turned and left into the castle to wait. She didn't dare go visit the duarough, afraid to disturb him of his work and she didn't think she could bear the company of the wraiths at the moment. Her only consolation was the bride that would soon come so they could discuss their plot to dispose the vampyre. Kagome watched the sun as it slowly declined before finding the path that led to the garden.

When she entered the garden, Kagome felt a smile tugged at her lips when she saw the cherry blossom tree. Her place of comfort and peace. It still stood tall and dignified when she first saw it. The blossoms swayed in the wind, eager to escape the branches that held them down. Kagome strode silently to the tree and slid down against it giant trunk. She rested her weary shoulders and breathed in the sweet scent of the flower that occasionally drifted down to the ground beside her. It had been months since she rested on the strong trunk of her favorite tree. It was first time she had ever left ease and peace after her return. She wrapped her arms around herself and snuggled herself deeper against the trunk. She looked up to admire the tree's gigantic branches.

This tree was different from all the cherry blossom trees she'd seen. It was larger than normal cherry blossom trees, for sure. Its branches extended farther and its blossoms carried a stronger, more soothing scent. Not only that, she occasionally seen the branches bear green leaves, which was abnormal for a cherry blossom tree. But it didn't matter. The tree comforted her and it helped her ease her mind of stress and the vampyre.

Her fingers subconsciously twiddled with the thin silver chain around her neck. It was small and could easily go unnoticed. The chain held a semi-circle pendant that had three rays that snaked out of the semi-circle on the top, a side, and the bottom. Her fingertips traced the rays as her eyes unfocused, remembering the memory of how she received it.

It two years after she was bought from the slave market in Osaka when Renko had given it to her. It was after Renko had approached her when everyone else ignored her and Renko had declared that they'd be friends. She was only five and Renko, seven. Even though it was nine years ago, Kagome could still remember Renko's words exactly.

"This is a symbol of our friendship," she remembered Renko saying, holding out the semi-circle pendant to her; her sapphire eyes smiling. "Always wear it. Don't ever take it out, okay? You wear one, and I'll wear one." Renko pointed to the similar chain around her neck, except on the half-circle pendant, the side ray was on the opposite side of Kagome's. "Don't show it to anymore though. And don't tell mom especially. She'll freak." She held out her hand for Kagome to grasp. "Friends forever. Okay, Kagome-chan?"

The silver chain was never cold against her skin. It always cast off a strange warmth that comforted her when she felt alone or scared. When they were older, she remembered Renko telling her that if she was ever sad, to just hold the pendant and think of happy memories and the sadness would go away. Kagome clutched the pendant in her hand as tear streaked down her cheeks.

I'm holding it, Renko. I'm holding it. So, why do I still feel sad?

Kagome looked up with wet eyes as she watched the sun slowly sink behind the horizon. It was barely an hour from setting when she saw the coming of the darkangel. Kagome shot up from her seat and stumbled through her way to get out of the garden to meet him up in the tower. She was nearly at the door when she saw him descend down towards where she was standing. He was still limping from being burnt down in the caves months ago. His broken wing still stood askew. He spotted her but did not stop. His face was tight and his lips were pressed thin. He was alone.

"There you are," he said shortly. "I thought I was going to have to look for you. You done with the gown?"

"Um, yes," she said, her eyes wandering behind him, wondering if the bride-to-be was hidden behind him. "It's pretty much done. But..."

"But where's my bride?" he finished for her. His fist clenched and unclenched. "I couldn't find one. But it doesn't really matter." He swept past her and into the hall behind the door. Kagome hesitated for a moment before following. "It wasn't like there weren't any girls," he snapped. "They were just all hella ugly. I think they're all hiding the pretty ones from me."

Kagome rolled her eyes. He was explaining himself to her again.

"But it doesn't matter," he continued. "There aren't any girls much prettier than you and my wings are getting tired. Especially the damn broken one. And I don't see the point of going to find another one when I have one here that do well enough --"

"What?" exclaimed Kagome. She did not think she had heard him right. He did not mean her, did he? Apprehension took her in the throat.

"You're not as pretty as my other wives were," he said, shrugging; ignoring that she did not call him, "my lord" anymore. "But you'll do."

Kagome halted and gaped at him. Her chest grew tight. "I-I don't understand." She shook her head. He was surely teasing her again.

The darkangel snorted and looked at her over his shoulder. "What? Are you stupid? You're going to wear the bridal gown. Yeah, you." He paused and stood for a moment. He half-turned, toying with his chain and gave her a mocking smile. "Aren't you honored?"

Kagome stood dumbfounded.

He eyed her for a moment before he told her. "Go prepare yourself. You know where my chambers are and I'll leave them unlocked. Be there at sunset. I'll come."

Kagome said nothing, nor did she move.

"By the way," he said casually. Her horror seemed to have brought back his humor. "Where are my gargoyles? I don't see them up there."

Kagome swallowed hard before she could talk. "I know. I set them free."

He whirled around abruptly. "You what?" he hissed. His eyes narrowed dangerously and all traces of amusement disappeared. Kagome braced herself that he'd forget about choosing her as his bride and lung at her and throttle her. But she could tell that he was restraining himself, just barely. But his icy eyes never left her face. "Doesn't matter," he muttered, his voice harsh. "I don't any watchdogs tonight." He fiddled with his chain around his neck. "You're lucky that I chose you for my wife, wretch," he spat, "or I'd kill without hesitation."

He swung away from Kagome and started down the empty hall. His black wings rustled behind him and he disappeared around the corner without a backward glance.

She felt crushed, breathless. Although her knees felt weak, she pushed herself move. The duarough was waiting for her down in the caves and the wraiths were depending on her. Slowly, she turned away and went out to the garden again. From there, she found the stairs that led to the welcoming caves and descended.

* * *

The duarough was in the treasure room working at his apparatus as she expected he'd be. He glanced at over his shoulder but did not turn.

"So," he asked. "Is the icarus back?"

"Yes," she said faintly.

His back was still facing her. "Did you speak with the bride?"

Kagome took a deep shuttering breath. "I didn't have to," she said. "Because it's me."

Myouga jumped, nearly spilling the liquid he was catching. The cup he held was filled up to the brim. He placed the cup on top of a stack of books. Kagome looked at the cup and frowned at its eerie familiarity. She then realized that it was the hoof of the starhorse.

"So, how am I suppose to kill the vampyre?" she asked Myouga at last.

Myouga stood facing her, his beady eyes wide. "Kagome-san," he stuttered. "What did you say?"

"How am I suppose to kill--" but the little man's sputtering interrupted her.

"No, before that."

Kagome looked away, realizing what he meant. "It's me," she repeated softly. "The vampyre chose me as his next bride."

Myouga fell back onto his rear with a snort of disbelief. " Oh dear Charter," he groaned. "What are we going to do?" His eyes flickered back to Kagome. "Kagome-san," he started. "I'm very scared for you. If you fail..."

"I'll die," she said, her voice oddly blunt, "along with the other wraiths. The seven icari will become invincible and they'll unleash all the bounded Free Magic and rule the world."

Kagome felt all her scattered thoughts gathered as her shock disappeared. She then started to remember Oboro saying an old desert proverb. "Go into a battle as a coward and you will fall. Go brave, and you may not. But if your heart is not brave, at least be face-brave." Kagome put on her bravest face and turned back to Myouga.

"But I have no intention of failing," she said. "Tell me what I have to do."











End of Chapter 13


AN: You know when I was talking about how the leaves of the cherry blossom trees turn green? Yeah, well, the leaves actually turn a dark reddish color, not green. I know because I happen to have one. ^^ Okay, well that just some random info on my part.

Sorry again for the late update. I blame it on the stoopid testing. Well, I guess I owe you guys another update this week.

So, we got like...three chapters to go?

Next Chapter: "Poisoned"