InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The day I saved him ❯ His girlfriend? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters of InuYasha except those I make up along the way(like Kazu in this chapter).
CHAPTER- II
The hospital was crowded with people going in and out and little kids screaming about their injuries at the top of their lungs. Kagome walked inside and went straight to the receptionist's desk before she remembered that she did not know the stranger's name.
“Yes… Can I help you?” The receptionist smiled brightly, and shuffled some papers on her desk.
“Uh…. I don't know….” Kagome trailed off when a sudden commotion to her left caught her eye. She looked towards the disruption and caught sight of long silver hair draped over the edge of a stretcher. “That's the guy! I want…” she started towards him, but she was suddenly seized by her elbow from behind.
“Where do you think you're going?” spoke a loud, obnoxious voice. Kagome turned towards it and found herself being dragged towards the waiting area by a man wearing a white doctor's coat and a stethoscope around his neck.” You're not allowed in there. That is the special ward, reserved for only our special patients.”
“But, but I'm… I…”
Before she could get any words out, a voice spoke up beside her.
“Well, didn't you know, doctor? She is the girlfriend.” The man standing beside her, putting forth such an unbelievable statement, was a tall dark figure wearing sunglasses that glinted off the harsh hospital lights above her head. He smiled a slick smile that was designed to work its charm around the ladies and accomplish whatever menial task he had set out to achieve.
“The girlfriend? I thought he was…” The doctor trailed off as an innate understanding lit up his faded grey eyes. “These celebrities are all alike, having to keep everything under wraps.” He shook his head disapprovingly.
“The girlfriend? Wha-“ She was cut off as the doctor placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. He smiled down at her gently, as if he were imparting some grave news.
“He'll be alright, miss. He just took a bad fall, and his head was bashed against a lamp post, but he'll be fine.” He smiled again, reassuring her. “Don't you worry about anything. Go on, go visit him. He's probably sleeping after the draught we gave him, but you should be alright. You can talk to him if you want.” He turned her dumbstruck body and pushed her gently to get her moving in the direction of the special ward.
“I'll take her,” the man in the coat volunteered, taking her elbow and steering her forward.
Kagome too dumbfounded to say anything more, found herself moving forward on legs that were moving of their own will. She couldn't even comprehend what had happened just now; she was in shock from the accident, she guessed. She knew about these things, how people after going through a serious medical trauma were prone to conjure up images and conversations that made no sense. It was probably that. She was still too distraught from the accident to really understand what they had been talking about. But, wait, what had they said about her? That she was the girlfriend? That snapped her out of her self-imposed daze and she turned towards the stranger beside her.
“Wait, wait. What were you telling the doctor?”
“That you were his girlfriend,” he replied simply, as if it were a given fact, known to all and sunder. He pushed her away to avoid colliding against a little toddler of four who clutched her teddy bear and was running around the waiting room, her tiny pig tails flying behind her. She was screaming at them in gibberish and the man smiled, waving at her. Kagome looked at him and was momentarily distracted by his genuine smile. She couldn't help wondering what kind of man he was. One minute he was all slick smiles and sly eyes, but the next he had changed into a caring, playful man who liked waving at little girls carrying teddy bears.
“Who are you, anyway?” Kagome asked, trying to gain his attention.
“I'm Kazuki Shinohara. You can call me Kazuki or Kazu for short.” He flashed her a leery grin.
“Yeah, a real pleasure to meet you,” Kagome intoned sarcastically. “Now, what were you telling the doctor?”
“I was merely telling the doctor that you were his girlfriend.”
“But I'm not his girlfriend,” Kagome hissed.
“But I thought, wait, what is your name?”
“Kagome Higurashi.”
“It has got to be you. He said you were away on a trip and would be back today. He took the day off to meet you at Luri's Café. Isn't that you?”
“Me? I've never even seen the guy before today. I don't even know his name.”
“But there has got to be some sort of mistake. Mr.Takahashi showed me a picture of you and you look exactly… almost like… her…”
“Well, I'm not her.”
“But you have to be!”
“What?”
She stopped in the middle of the corridor, shaking off his arm. She folded her arms in front of her chest and glared at Kazu. She was not taking one more step. She didn't know what this guy's game was but she didn't trust him. He was too slick and his look of surprise looked too insincere to fool her. Something told her this guy knew exactly who she was, even before she had told him her name. One thing she had learned these past few months was never to trust anyone.
She grew wary and looked pointedly at him for an explanation, when suddenly a flash light went off behind her. She was momentarily blinded by the bright light and when she turned around to see who it was, she was shoved into an open doorway. Kazu followed her inside and slammed the door shut behind him.
“The vultures have picked up the scent,” he murmered to himself.
“What? What the hell is going on?”Kagome asked as she lifted herself off the floor and rubbed her left arm soothingly to rub away the ache she had incurred when she had hit the hard linoleum floor. She knelt on the ground and looked around the room. It was one of the single patient rooms, and it was really nice. It was enormous for just one patient, furnished with various arm chairs and tables. The bed that dominated the centre of the room was occupied by a patient who was covered from head to toe in hospital blankets. She clamped a hand over her mouth and whispered to Kazu furiously, “There is a patient in here!”
“Yes, I know. Get up off the floor Ms. Higurashi and come meet your boyfriend.”
The word rattled and angered her and she curled her fists inside her palms to keep from lashing out at Kazu. Nonetheless, she stood up and walked over to stand beside the bed. She looked down at the mound of bedclothes, where, she assumed lay her stranger, as she had come to think of him for lack of a better name.
“This is Mr.Takahashi?” she asked searching for an arm under the blankets.
“Well, Ms. Higurashi, don't you ever watch TV? This is the Mr.Takahashi.”
The implication was utterly lost on her for she hadn't watched tv in months and the name didn't sound familiar. When Kazu caught her blank look he whistled loudly and shook his head.
“I don't get how people in the suburbs could live without watching TV. I guess it's true that some people do live under a rock! He is the Sesshoumaru Takahashi, my dear. Sesshy, as his fans like to call him. The movie star!”
A movie star? She had saved the life of a movie star? That explained the weird flash light outside. He was being followed by paparazzi. But why had they tried to take a picture of her?
When she asked him that, he merely sighed and walked towards the portable TV the hospital had installed in the room. He switched the set on and changed channels until he came to one that had flashing news printed in bold red letters across the top and various scrolling news on the bottom. A news reporter with short wavy red hair was brandishing an arm behind her. Kagome moved forward to look at what the reporter was pointing at and gasped when she saw the intersection where the accident had occurred being portrayed in the scene.
“What is she saying?”Kagome asked.
“Why don't I turn up the volume for you?”
“But he's sleeping. Wouldn't the noise wake him up?”
“He's probably out, after the meds they gave him. He'll sleep like a baby for a while, at least.” He clicked on the remote control he had found on the bedside table and the sounds from the tv filled up the silence in the room.
“Witnesses to the accident have been reporting on how the young woman saved Sesshoumaru Takahashi's life at immense risk to her own life.”
The camera zoomed out to show the intersection again and then zoomed in on various smudge marks that had blackened the curb and a red stain that covered the street lamp at the end of the curb. Was that…? She looked back at Sesshoumaru and could make out a heavily bandaged head now. Before, in the dark, she hadn't been able to discern the faint outline of the bandage from the blankets pulled over him, but now she saw it. Did I do that to him? She thought guiltily. She hadn't meant to make him hit a lamp post.
A faintly familiar voice broke into her thoughts and she turned towards the flashing screen. The girl with the Mohawk was standing there, speaking to the reporter in excited, girlish tones, taking Kagome back by surprise.
“I can't believe she was his girlfriend! Man, that guy is so lucky! Now I get why she was hanging all over him. This made my day. Nothing can be more sweeter.”
Girlfriend. There was that confusing word again. She had no idea when she had been raised from the role of average life saver to movie star girlfriend. Something fishy was going on here and she was pretty sure who the source of all of this mess was. Kagome's anger rose up to the fore. She switched off the TV to come stand before Kazu, her arms folded across her chest.
“Pardon me for not remembering something vastly important, like the fact that I'm Sesshoumaru Takahashi's girlfriend! What is going on, Kazu?”
“I can explain.”
“Yeah, I'm waiting.”
“ Why don't you take a seat? This could take a while.”