InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Final Battle ❯ A Breaking Bulletin ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
DISCLAIMER: Yeah, yeah...none of them are mine.

RECAP: Sputtering, he shook his head, holding back a gag. “Well, that’s a stupid name! Ugh! I just imagined eating Sesshou-Maru...disgusting...” He shuddered, and downed the pitcher of water ice water in a gulp.

“Ah...heh. Sorry, you guys!” Kagome looked at her food-covered tablemates apologetically. “Anyone for dessert?”



Chapter 10



The autumn leaves swirled merrily about the five as they planted themselves on stone benches in the courtyard, four of them prying open their books and readying their quills. Inu-Yasha sat boredly, overlooking Kagome’s homework.


“Keh. I don’t see why you all have to remember this stuff, anyway. It’s not like it’s gonna do you any good when the rest of those youkai break through that portal. And remind me again why we aren’t going after Naraku yet?”


Kagome looked at Inu-Yasha with exasperation. “Inu-Yasha, we’ve been through this. First of all, Naraku’s followers have increased. He himself has transformed into something completely different from the form he assumed years ago...and secondly, this ‘stuff’ IS useful! When it’s not helping us to expand our knowledge about the enemy and thwarting spells, it’s preparing us for our futures.”


“Quite. We’ll need a good education once...Vol....dem-m-m-mort...is defeated. Knowledge is the key to success!” Hermione accented, her eyes bold with the passion to learn.


“Only by studying, will you succeed!” Kagome fervently added.


“Pass the exams, and any door will open for you!” Hermione exclaimed, and the two girls practically fisted the air in determined agreement.


Ron slammed his books shut, rolling his eyes and shaking his head. “Personally, I agree with you, Inu-Yasha. This crap is bogus. I dunno about you guys, but I’m gonna take a walk.” He got up to move.


“Hey, Ron! You can’t do that! With your scores on your last few papers, you can’t afford to put off studying.” Hermione hissed.


“Oh, please...C’mon, Inu-Yasha, let’s go visit Hagrid.” Ron said, motioning to the hanyou who had already jumped up at the chance to get away from the monotony of the other four’s study session.


“No way. I wanna check out that forest more...besides, last time I went to that guy’s place, his mutt wouldn’t leave me alone.”


“Ron! Get back here, you idiot!” Hermione grabbed her own books, and chased after the two, leaving Kagome and Harry to their own books.


Kagome looked over her Potions book at Harry. “Well, I don’t feel very much like studying anymore, do you?”


Harry shook his head. “No...’sides which; it’s too nice a fall day to waste.” They packed up their materials, and rose from their bench, a short-lived study session put off once more. “You wanna go put these away?”


“Sure,” Kagome nodded, and they made to return to their common room.


Harry and Kagome walked in silence through the hallways, both lost in thought. Kagome reflected on the weeks that had passed since that evening at Hogsmeade. ‘Inu-Yasha seems to have gotten used to life here. It’s almost like he likes it...well, as much as he can like anything, I guess. It’s strange. I like this, this being around him again. He doesn’t make me as mad as before...but then, now that he doesn’t have to constantly drag me away from home, and there aren’t anymore jewel shards to get...and Kikyou’s out of the picture...’ Kagome’s thoughts stopped short. ‘Kikyou...Is it...wrong...for me to feel grateful for her sacrifice? The truth is, I’m more glad about the fact that she’s now peaceful...and that our soul is whole again, moreso than anything to do with jealousy.’


Kagome wasn’t alone in the turmoil of her thoughts. Harry pursed his lips, lost in his own musings. ‘Voldemort. What is he up to, right now? What’s he thinking? I wonder...when will all this end? How many lives...I don’t even know if I’ll survive it. And Kagome...if he kills Kagome, I’ll...no. He won’t. I won’t let that happen–I can’t let that happen, not her. Not the one I...’ Harry looked at the girl to his right, taking in her pure face, contorted slightly by a frown. ‘...Well. It’s not as if Inu-Yasha would ever let anything happen to her, anyway...’ “...Even if he is somewhat of a jerk.”


“Hm?” Kagome looked imploringly at Harry, who had been unaware of giving voice to his thoughts. “Did you say something, Harry?”


“Oh–er, no. Nothing.”


“He was just talking about himself, is all.” A familiarly cold voice shattered the warmth that surrounded the pair, and Draco Malfoy strolled down the hall in their direction. Mocking eyes of ice glinted at them. “Good afternoon, Kagome.”


“Malfoy...” Harry hissed, his hand instinctively pawing the wand at his side. His arm was stopped, however, by Kagome’s gentle-but-firm touch. Continuing her pace without casting so much as a furtive glance in the blonde wizard’s direction, she led Harry in a steady path down the hall.


Draco laughed. “I’m not going to apologize for what I did, Kagome. It’s your own fault you were so trusting.” Kagome continued to ignore him. “The Dark Lord’s going to get you eventually...why don’t you leave that idiot at your side, and come with me? I’m sure The Dark Lord’ll be content with just a few bags of your blood. Consider it a donation...you probably wouldn’t have to die if you weren’t so stubborn.” Malfoy probed, a note of hope hanging slightly in his words as she and Harry made to pass him. “Those who follow him are always rewarded. You’ll only suffer if you try to fight him.”


At this, Kagome whipped around. Draco stepped back, a spark of fear and unease responding to the blue fire in her eyes. Her battle aura crackled. “You think that if he wins, you won’t be any worse for wear? You think, that when he kills me, Harry, Professor Dumbledore, and every other witch and wizard who fights for freedom and goodness, you’ll be safe?” Draco backed up slightly, as she advanced on him with each punctuated word. “YOU THINK, that when the WORLD is covered in DARKNESS, he’ll lower himself to remember those he USED to help him GET HIS WAY, and actually thank you with a REWARD?!” Her voice boomed throughout the hallway, the sound waves causing the suits of armor to hum softly. “WELL. NEXT TIME YOU HAVE A BIRTHDAY, I’LL KNOW TO SIMPLY POUND A FEW BULLETS INTO YOUR BRAIN RATHER THAN BOTHER WITH ANY FLOWERS, SINCE YOU APPEAR TO THINK OF DEATH AS SO WONDERFUL A REWARD!”


Kagome stormed off angrily, Harry struggling to keep up with her, as Draco trembled slightly. Several onlookers eyed the furious girl and distressed boy curiously.


Draco wiped his pale brow. “I wonder if maybe she’s part youkai...”




__________________________________ _________________________________________________



“ ;Hey, Kagome...” Harry panted, a few steps behind the witch who had acquired inhuman speed with the sudden burst of adrenaline. “Let me breathe a bit, will you?”


Kagome slowed, her eyes slightly downcast. She looked at Harry apologetically. “Sorry, Harry...sometimes, my temper gets the best of me. I tried to ignore him, I really did...but the things he said, they were so...blind! Weren’t they?!” She looked at her companion, frowning.


“Yeah, he’s a right dumb one.” Harry curled his lips at the thought of his foe.


“No, I mean...it’s not necessarily his fault.” Kagome continued to walk forward. “Draco...he’s just brainwashed. Look at his parents. I don’t think that poor boy has ever received a genuine hug in his life! He’s just looking for his father’s approval, that’s all.”


Harry couldn’t believe it. After all he’d done to her, Kagome was defending him? “Woah...I think you’re psychoanalyzing Draco a little too much. Draco’s just a bastard. No more, no less. And I don’t want to ever see you try something weird, like give him a hug, or something...” He shuddered at the thought of what lascivious action with which the dirty-minded wizard might respond.


Kagome wrinkled her nose. “That’s not what I meant. It’s just...there is more to him than just being a ‘bastard.’ You should have seen him that night, Harry...Yes, he did a terrible thing, but that was likely the influence of his father and Nara–Voldemort. Harry, his face...he wouldn’t look at me then. And it looked as if the miasma was making him sick...miasma has a very strong effect on those with good hearts. I know he has one, deep down inside.”


Harry shook his head and shrugged, stepping in front of the painting of the Fat Lady. “Well, he may have a heart...but I highly doubt there’s anything good about it. And it’s not your job to try and dig it out for him either. ‘Jiggling Jabberwocky.’” The two stepped through the portrait and into the common room, to see Neville reading by the fire.


“‘Afternoon, you two!” The boy gave a toothy grin, which was reciprocated.


“Hey, Nev. What’s that you got there?” Harry peered over at Neville’s lap, where a newspaper lay flopped open, it’s leading photographs swimming with movement.


FREE-FOR-ALL AT AZKABAN: PRISONERS UNGUARDED FOR THREE DAYS ;
DEMENTORS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.


Kagome looked at the paper, and then at Harry, whose brow was furrowed in a disturbed frown. “What’s this all about?” She asked, unease slightly quivering her voice.


“It was all over the news just now.” Neville responded quickly, eager to be of some help. “An escaped prisoner was just found on the shores of Durham. The police caught him, luckily before he was able to get his hands on a wand, or cause any disturbances among muggle towns.”


“But that’s just one prisoner,” Harry said ominously. “How long were they left there alone?”


Neville checked the paper. “It says here, that the prisoner affirmed it had been for about four days since he last saw a dementor, but the authorities say that they probably left around the night before last. Time passes by much more slowly in Azkaban, they said...” A shudder ran down the gentle boy’s spine. “Not that I’d ever like to find out.”


“So, there was one prisoner who got caught; there might be dozens who’ve escaped successfully!” Kagome’s eyes were wide with disbelief.


“It’s not the prisoners I worry about,” Harry responded somberly. “Where have all the dementors gone? What for?” His expression suddenly darkened, a wave of nausea slowly building up inside of him. “Voldemort...”


Neville went pale, flinching at the sound of the dark wizard’s name. “C-come again?”


“It’s part of his plan, I just know it. He’s working on something...I only hope he doesn’t try to bring them here, and try to get you for the portal.” Harry said, looking guardedly at Kagome.


“P-portal? What are you talking about, Harry?” Neville implored, looking between the two.


“Come on, we’ve got to go see Dumbledore.” Harry took Kagome’s hand, leaving their books, and a very concerned Neville, alone in the common room.


“What would Nara–Voldemort, I mean, want with the Dementors?” Kagome panted, as she and Harry took long strides down the hallway. “I mean, I know they’re bad news, that much was made clear in our DADA classes...but what is it about them that makes them so...horrible?”


“They’re soul-suckers.” Harry said, almost reeling Kagome around the corner, his grip firm on her fingers. “They have the ability to completely extract every single happy thought from those whom they surround. And when someone receives a sentence for a ‘Dementor’s Kiss,’ they suck the soul out of the prisoner’s mouth.”


Kagome shuddered. “So that’s what he meant when he referred to Kanna...” Kagome dodged to the side, narrowly missing the shoulder of a second-year ravenclaw. “I hope he doesn’t plan on using one of them on me...I hate having my soul sucked out. It’s happened to me far too many times than it should for someone in a lifetime.”


Harry grunted, lunging up a flight of stairs, two at a time. He was about to progress further down a corridor, when he nearly broke his nose after colliding with the expanse of black-clothed chest before him.


“And to where, might I ask, were you two off in such an unnecessary hurry?” The cold, unfeeling made Kagome wince internally, as she halted to a stop before Harry and Professor Snape.


“We’re going to Professor Dumbledore’s office. Now, would you please let us through?” Harry fought to keep his voice under control.


“Certainly. However, if you’re expecting to find him there, I suggest you cease your hunt post haste. He has already left.” Snape sneered, his pointed nose moving subtly with the curve of his lip.


“Left? Where?!” Kagome cried, urgently moving forward. Snape looked down at her condescendingly.


“That, my dear, is quite frankly none of your business.” He stepped aside, continuing down the stairs. “Now, unless you both find some warped, unnatural pleasure in colliding with others in dark, cramped corridors, I advise you to watch where you are going. And you might find it wise to spend your time studying for the potions exam this Monday...not that it will do either of you any good, I’m sure...” A flash of black signaled Snape’s exit.


Both Harry and Kagome looked crestfallen. Harry sighed. “He’s probably gone off to find out more about the dementors and Azkaban.”


“The Potions exam...” Kagome whined softly.


Harry started down the steps. “Come on, maybe we’ll get some information from Mr. A.” Kagome followed, her pulse gradually slowing to a normal pace.


They were crossing the colonnade that overlooked the courtyard, when they caught sight of Ron, Hermione, and Inu-Yasha coming towards them. Ron and Hermione
seemed out of breathe, and very urgent.


“Harry! Kagome!” The said two headed down the stairs to meet the others. “We have some really serious news to tell you!” Ron and Hermione panted (Inu-Yasha was unsurprisingly fine, closing the distance between the group even quicker), leaning against the stone banister.


“Yeah, we’ve heard. It was just in the paper.” Harry said flatly.


“You–? Wait, how? What was in the paper?” Ron sputtered quizzically.


“The dementors have left Azkaban,” Kagome affirmed quietly. “They don’t know how many prisoners have escaped yet. They think it happened the night before last.” Had his appearance been normal, the others would have been able to see Inu-Yasha’s ears twitch slightly. He didn’t know exactly what those dementors were, but from what he saw in the DADA class, he was pretty sure they were bad news.


“So, what now? Do you think that He-who–I mean, V-v-...Volllldemort...might be behind it?”


“I’d bet my life on it.” Harry said sullenly.


“Keh. I wouldn’t be so quick to wager that right now, if I were you. One human’s already down; give or take a few days, you might not have anything to bet with, either.” Inu-Yasha snorted humorlessly.


Harry frowned. “What’s he talking about? What human? Did someone die?”


Ron looked at him, eyes the shape of saucers. “It was just on the news–this morning, the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, was murdered!”





_____________________________ _____________________________________________________


Okay , I think I’m gonna stop here. It’s a little short, but I’ll work on updating, don’t you fret! :D - Kapitan Nemo