InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The First Battle and the Creation of the Isle ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Ok. I did this thing for an English summative, using names etc. from a book im writing with a couple of my friends. I think its pretty good. I don't really care if anyone else does. That's what Im trying to find out here. The main characters weren't really based on Kagome, Sango and Ayame, but its an Inuyasha FanFic so that's kinda required right? So anyways, I'll be updating rather sporadically as its not longer a required thing, since the summative is now over, and I only will if people say they like where they think Its going. So tell me if you think its good yadda yadda yadda. Enjoy.
 
 
.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.
 
 
Long ago, women had power. They were queens, monarchs and empresses. All women were free and bowed to no man. The worship of the Great Goddess Alzena and her four daughters was strong across the land. There were temples to all four demi-goddesses, Meiwellyn, Carantha, Teysaleigh and Nadomi, in all major cities, and well kept shrines in less wealthy villages.
The four demi-goddesses of Air, Earth, Fire and Water were well known and well loved. More so than the King Tabbul, and he became angry and jealous. He amassed a grand army and rose to oppress the worship of Alzena and the four other goddesses. Women were forced to allow men to take their jobs and positions in government, under threats of their sisters and their daughters dying.
The worshippers of Air bowed their heads meekly in submission, as they did not believe in violence and anger. Those of Water plotted and schemed behind the scenes. The women of Earth crept stealthily, gathering information and removing those who hindered their worship. Fire maidens screamed threats and insults, forming their own army and burning the palaces of Tabbul's supporters.
Finally the Great Goddess broke taboo by creating herself and her kin mortal bodies and intervening directly. She called together her daughters and bid them help her to fight. Meiwellyn refused to harm those who had done nothing, by starting a war. Teysaleigh was enraged her own sister would not aid them and turned the people of Fire against Air. Carantha begged her to reconsider, even her people were being harmed, but Meiwellyn would not be swayed. So, the women of Earth joined Fire, and Air was further ignored. Nadomi thought long on the situation, speaking to each of her sisters and mother in turn, as was her way. She agreed to unite with Carantha, Teysaleigh and her mother to help women rise up. In turn, the maidens of Water cast out Air.
And thus the terrible war began. Teysaleigh gathered her warriors and joined them with Carantha's spies and Nadomi's conspirators. Alzena chose nine of her highest priestesses to preside over the army. The women then stormed the forts and castles of Tabbul's friends and supporters, leaving a trail of burning villages, mysterious disappearances and strange illnesses in their wake. When they finally reached the king's own palace, most of the land was in riot. Innocent people were dying everywhere, but the goddesses were blinded by their fury and saw nothing.
Not until Alzena personally dealt Tabbul the killing blow did she emerge from her rage-induced stupor. Only then did she see the destruction that had been wrought. She felt mortified and ashamed at her loss of control. All her daughters wept bitterly for the priestesses they had lost and the worshippers that had deserted them in favor of peace. They fled the mortal earth in disgrace, returning to their celestial home.
Even after they left the war waged on. Men had grown accustomed to their places of leadership and refused to restore them to their wives and sisters. After many more years of battle and conflict it was finally over, and peace returned. In some countries men had triumphed. In others, a matriarchy ruled over all the affairs. In the remaining realms some families had come to a truce, allowing both men and women to rule. Other kingdoms were plagued by anarchy and hysteria.
Slowly things returned to equilibrium. Alzena and her daughters were not forgotten, though many temples had been burned in the riots, and neither was the feud with Meiwellyn. Forsaking her family for her own convictions counted as treason, and her exile was strongly enforced until everyone forgot that Air was ever worshipped.
The religion of the Goddesses gradually faded away, until only a precious few dedicated followers remained. Many of these women were persecuted for their beliefs, causing the lingering maidens of Fire, Water and Earth to go into hiding. They practiced their religion in secret and seclusion. The Great Goddess could do nothing as she felt she had dealt enough pain upon the mortals.
Carantha, Nadomi and Teysaleigh vowed to help their mother one day avenge their fallen supporters. They swore that in the future, they would have their own land to rule where priestesses could worship without ill treatment, if only they could find someone to create it. And so they waited, until long years had passed and a young girl named Kagome and her friends Sango and Ayame sought comfort in trying times…