InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flight of the Doves ❯ Departure ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do NOT own any InuYasha characters (i wish...maybe on my birthday?...JK!)

The Flight of the Doves

Chapter 1: Departure

The Shikon no Tama nestled in a woven cushion emerged as I anxiously pushed open the centuries-old bamboo doors. The aura around the glowing globe remained a demure pink radiating purity and good-will. A breath of relief escaped.

Excellent, so he didn't do anything rash...

"He" being my foolish younger brother, gifted or cursed with foresight. His request still reverberated through my mind.

"Sister...let me use the jewel. For the sake of humanity, grant me your blessings to utilize the Shikon no Tama's power. Oh, the most horrible things will happen..."

The jewel remained untarnished and in place. Thankfully, he didn't steal away with it into the night. I gently closed the doors to continue on my daily excursion.

The path leading from the secluded temple was well-worn with our ritual coming and going. I paused, glancing back towards the simple house enveloped by foliage. Irritation flickered as the screen doors failed to open and produce the towering figure of my sibling.

Inu no Taisho: he was always the lazy one. Rising after the sun was well into the sky, hours after he is designated to. Throwing all his duties behind as he packed his sack for his daily ritual to town (doing who knows what). A young (fine, I wasn't that young) demoness would have trouble defending the Sacred Jewel away from power-hungry hordes of demons, and even humans. None of the work to protect the jewel was contributed by him. Scratch that, he did have his uses...

The doves cocked their heads as a new member entered their midst in the courtyard grounds. Ah, the doves. They were my one sole comfort and companions as the only other occupant in the house left for a good time of the day.

I bent down to stroke their ivory feathers. When delighted coos rang throughout the air, a gentle smile graced my lips. At least someone was happy in my company.

The deep rumble that traversed the grounds startled the birds, "Kazuno..."

Footsteps echoed down the paved stones as a powerful youki waltzed in followed soon by a pair of striding, long legs in white hakamas. His commanding demeanor, in contrast with my tranquil appearance and slight figure, made the now skittish doves hop from claw to claw.

"Taisho, you finally decided to wake up and greet your elder sister, for once." I quibbled. "I was beginning to think you forgot I existed."

His tawny eyes rolled in irritation upon hearing my reprimanding remarks. "About my proposal? I have seen some...images, lately. Things have begun to get much worse between the Tairas and Minamotos. The people need our help. We may only be two..."

Images...I thought they would have stopped by now. His prophecies are always correct...but what can we do?

I shook my head ruefully at his naïve words. "Brother...you forget. We are daiyoukai. The mortals don't trust us. They wouldn't accept our help for anything: gold, money, glory, peace. We are different, and they are afraid of all things foreign. Your intentions are kind, but misplaced. And you forget your duties; leaving your poor older sister double the load," I gave him a pout and hunched over, "I'm not getting younger each day!"

"To the point, please?"

My playful visage melted into one of austerity. "In all seriousness, Taisho, for the last time, no! Did you not think of the consequences! As a keeper of the jewel, I though you would know better. Anybody, especially demons...male demons, are prone to succumbing to the jewel's alluring power!"

"But what about the people!" his sudden outburst frightened the doves further from us, and me. Taisho rarely lost his cool. "The humans? Are you just going to let that village with children and the elderly, die from a bandit attack? And don't even go to what they'll do to the women. Think Kazuno, think. Are you going to just sit here and let this happen without batting an eyelash? Find your inner saint," after a moment of hesitation, he added, "Oh wait, I forgot, you don't have one!"

My youki spasmed as I fought to keep it in control. It was usually I who lost myself into a temper.
Deep breath in, deep breath out. And while you're at it, try not to bash his head in..."This is not up for discussion. I said no, and I mean no. Dismissed Taisho, now go and make yourself useful, for once."
He narrowed his eyes, before closing them...but not before I could spot a spark of red.

Red? Is he really this desperate to save this village...what has gotten into him?

"Fine. I'll have to deal with this using my own merit. You could at least put some effort into helping those people." With that, he pivoted and stalked away.

The flock's wariness was at its peak as the lingering tension still boiled across the atmosphere and the suppressed exasperation leaked...until the smallest dove could take it no more, and flew away in a panic. The rest followed its lead and fled in a swarm trailing sluggishly into the sky, but each stroke sliced through the air faster and faster, accelerating, until the flock was a minuscule constellation against the blazing blue sky. Desertion replaced my annoyance.

My gaze lingered in the sky forlornly. I heaved a sigh. There went my company for the rest of the day.
I swiftly rose from my squatted position and scowled at the spot where my feathered friends' antagonist once stood.

I sighed and  continued my interrupted errands.

Stupid brothers...

Moonlight beamed and refracted descending from the midnight blanket: a solid, undisturbed shaft of luminescence. A cloak of darkness darted forward, rippling the once flawless light.

His silver hair flashed as he threw a quick glimpse back toward the sacred ground he just exited. Nobody followed his silent bounds from tree to tree.

Relaxing his clenched palm, the figure of darkness revealed the glimmering sphere in his palm emitting a dimmed rosy light. Ensured it was still safe, his fingers enclosed it once again, then bringing the fist to his heart.

Kazuno would be furious...but she will get her jewel back, but not me...I'm just a burden to her anyway. There are other places I can and have to go...Himeko...I'm coming.