InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Majesty and Power ( Chapter 58 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Majesty and Power

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

"Well, what about fennel, mama?" Rin asked, and Kagome thought about if for a while, then wrinkled her nose as she shook her head,

"No... I mean, it does describe him... but it just falls flat, I guess. It's not... good enough," she said as she walked along beside Ah-Uhn. "Of course he's strong but... he's so much more than that, right?"

Rin nodded, smiling happily. "Yes, that's true. So, maybe... magnolia?"

Again, Kagome considered that for a few moments. "I guess it's closer - I mean, he is very dignified - and majestically beautiful," she giggled a little, a merry look in her eye as Rin also laughed. "But, again... it's just not enough."

Sango looked at her best friend with avid curiosity as she moved up closer to her. She and Rin had been discussing something for some time, and she had become drawn in by the length of it - whatever they were discussing was of some importance to the both of them.

"What are you guys talking about up here?" she asked.

Kagome smiled as she glanced over at Sango. "Well, Rin and I were discussing what flower should stand for Sesshoumaru. Apparently, at his shiro, Rin has her own garden, and once we figure out a good flower for him, she wants to plant it in her garden. We're trying to decide which one suits him best."

The taijiya just laughed and rolled her eyes. "Rin I'm not surprised about, but you, Kagome? Becoming a bit obsessive about him, aren't you, even considering the courting?"

She frowned at Sango, and then her eyes widened in shocked surprise. "Oh! Oh, wow!" As the taijiya caught her eyes with a questioning gaze, Kagome laughed. "With everything that's happened, I completely forgot - and Sesshoumaru didn't say anything either..." she trailed off, still shocked that they'd never told the group that he had asked for her hand - and she'd accepted.

"Well...?" Sango asked, almost impatiently, and Kagome glanced around, suddenly realizing that the group, minus Sesshoumaru himself, who was scouting ahead, had moved in close.

She blushed, and held out her hand, pulling her sleeve up to show her crescent moon. "Sesshoumaru finally asked me to marry him... and I said yes," she said, smiling shyly.

At that, Rin squealed happily, leaning down from Ah-Uhn's back to throw her arms around her mother, and Shippo leapt from Miroku's shoulder right into her arms with a happy shout.

Inuyasha heard her words, and his heart, for one moment, stopped beating, and he couldn't breathe as a loud buzzing echoed in his ears. He'd known this day was coming... his brother was no fool, and once he'd seen the treasure that Kagome was, it was only a matter of time before this happened...

But it still hurt.

Shaking his head to clear the buzzing, and inhaling deeply, he grasped every bit of control he had and smiled tightly over at the woman he would probably always love - at least in some way.

"Congratulations, Kagome. I'm glad that things are working well between you two." He turned his head away, then, not noticing the sympathetic glance Kanna sent him.

"Thanks, Inuyasha," she said softly, a sad look in her eye as she noticed his upset. She sighed, then noticed the look Kanna sent him, and smiled just slightly to herself.

It won't be too long, I think, before there will be another engagement in this group.

Sango had been quiet through all of the others congratulations, as had Miroku, and once the happy babble died down, she smiled over at Kagome.

"As long as this is truly what you want, Kagome, I'm more than happy for you. You deserve this, more than anybody I know," she said sincerely, and Miroku nodded.

"Hai, Sango speaks for me, too. Congratulations, Kagome."

"Thank you, guys," she said, still blushing a bit, then clapped her hands together and looked firmly at Rin. "Okay... so, back to our discussion." She took another flower list from her pack, and unfolded it, carefully looking down the different flowers for one that spoke to her.

"Hmmm... I have it." She nodded firmly. "This is definitely it. Look here, Rin. I don't think just one really covers him. Let's try one flower - and one herb. Crown Imperial for the flower, which means majesty and power, and rosemary for the herb, which means constancy, fidelity, and loyalty."

Rin's little face brightened like the noonday sun, and she positively beamed. "Rin knew it!" she squealed excitedly. "Remember, mama, Rin said that she knew that you would understand Sesshoumaru-sama someday - and you do!"

Kagome blinked, then laughed. "I remember, Rin. You did say that, and you were right."

Just then, Sesshoumaru's youki washed over her gently, and she turned and smiled at him brightly, finding him studying her with a cocked brow.

"What did Rin say, miko?" he asked curiously.

"Rin said, some time ago, if you recall, that one day I would come to understand you - and she was right." She chuckled as his other brow joined it's brother in his bangs. "We were picking out a flower to represent you, for her to plant in her garden... only I didn't think just a flower described you well enough... so this is the combination I came up with."

He took the list and noted what she'd underlined - and he flicked a quick, golden glance at his miko, then nodded.

"Indeed, Rin... Kagome has grown to know me quite well - although... majestic?" A slight smirk graced his lips as he handed the paper back to her, and she blushed. "It is... pleasing to this one to know you see him so, miko, for it is true."

Her jaw dropped at the sheer arrogance in that statement...

And everyone except Sesshoumaru burst out laughing at the look on her face - even Inuyasha.

---oOo---

A/N: A little light moment for the gang amidst the darkness.

Amber