InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Mystery ( Chapter 67 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mystery

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome held up the completed jewel that was once more on a chain around her neck, staring at it, glowing pink, pure again, and her brow furrowed as she thought about the way she'd gotten that last shard.

It was so strange... was it really Yuki Onna? Somehow... I don't think it was. That whole 'choosing' thing would make no sense from the snow woman. After all, what would she have gained?

Nothing.

So... who else could it have been?

And once again, her mind drew a blank - because she just couldn't figure out who would have benefited by testing her heart that way... except maybe Sesshoumaru himself, if he'd had doubts about the strength of her love...

But it hadn't been him.

And that left her with a mystery to figure out... without letting anything on to her betrothed.

Yeah... right. He hasn't let me out of his sight since that happened yesterday - except barely to go the bathroom. She rolled her eyes, and he happened to glance sidelong at her at that moment, catching the look.

"Tell me, miko," he said, musingly, "just what is it about you that trouble follows you so ardently?"

Her eyes widened, and she sputtered defensively as Inuyasha began to laugh, "I don't know, now do I? I didn't have this problem back in my era! It's this crazy place - that's not my fault."

He eyed her up and down as they walked. "Hn. It is troublesome, this propensity of yours to tumble into danger as quickly as most beings blink." She glared at him, outraged, and he continued. "I see that I must work harder to protect you - never has a person challenged me as you do, Kagome."

Her jaw dropped, then snapped shut as she glared at him, offended. "I'm not that bad!"

Inuyasha broke in, chortling. "Why the heck are you denying it, Kagome? He's right. You are a pain to keep safe. Everytime you turn around you're getting into trouble!"

As the group chuckled, Kagome's eyes narrowed, and she opened her mouth to say something, when Rin broke in. "It's okay, mama. Master Jaken always says the same thing about me."

"It's true, you troublesome child! Always falling into danger - how many times did Sesshoumaru-sama have to rescue you from the wind witch - and others?" he asked.

Kagome glared at the little toad, and took Rin's hand in her own Sticking her nose in the air, she dropped back and walked slower. "Just ignore them, Rin. It's not our fault that the bad guys think we're fascinating!"

Everyone broke into laughter at that, except Sesshoumaru, who narrowed his eyes as he heard her words. Fascinating... yes, all our enemies do seem to find you fascinating, miko - and this simple fact means nothing good.

His mind went back to her disappearance the day before, and her return - with the last shard, annoyance setting in, as he glanced from the corner of his eye back towards his miko.

She will not tell me any more than she did at the time - 'someone wanted to chat privately' - but who?

I like not this mystery...

His thoughts broke off when a familiar swirl of youki washed over the group, and Ryozen appeared amongst them, an enigmatic smile lighting his face as his gaze landed on Kagome.

Sesshoumaru frowned, and called a halt, stepping forward to stand before his miko protectively. "Why have you come among us again, Ryozen?"

The dragon chuckled, and moved around him, holding out a hand to Kagome, a flower appearing there, and she stared at it, eyes narrowing, before slowly reaching out to take it.

"A lotus... for mystery," she said slowly, then looked up at him searchingly. For a single instant, his eyes, normally fiery orange, flashed ice blue, and she gasped, clutching the flower tightly. "It was you!"

Ryozen bowed, a grin stretching across his face, and he chuckled as he heard the low growl from the inu Lord. "This is certainly a banner day, Sesshoumaru-sama. Never did I think to see you hover so, like a mother hen protecting her chick," he mocked lightly.

Sesshoumaru ignored the dig, though his brother almost choked on his laughter. "What did she mean, 'it was you'?"

"Why, she means that it was I that tested her heart, and found it worthy of the son of the Taisho. It was I that gave her that last shard, as well."

At that, Sesshoumaru went rigid, and a deep growl echoed through the clearing, making everyone step back a pace in surprise.

"It was you that took my miko from my sight? Tell me, Ryozen, why I should not kill you where you stand," he snarled.

Kagome stepped up to him, her hands grasping the back of his haori, and whispered to him. "Sesshoumaru," she crooned soothingly, "it's okay. Let him finish. He had a purpose - shouldn't we find out what that was before we do any killing?" she asked.

Sesshoumaru struggled to contain his youkai for a moment, annoyed with himself and his seeming lack of control lately when it came to her. Now I understand why Inuyasha was always so out of control when it came to her...

Inhaling, and allowing her scent to calm him, he said "Speak, then, Ryozen... quickly."

"It was a task set me by your father, as a friend, I accepted, Sesshoumaru-sama. He knew that his end would come soon, and wanted to protect you as much as he could - even from beyond the grave."

"And he thought that I needed protection from my miko?" he asked, disbelief thick in his voice.

"He wanted to be sure that the woman you chose would be worthy of you. It was a test to expose her heart - to let the truth be seen - and it worked. She is worthy of you... however," he smirked, "now, it remains to be seen whether you are worthy of her."

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed dangerously. "What do you mean, dragon?"

Ryozen's stared at him innocently. "Why... that it's now your turn, Sesshoumaru-sama. The next test is of your heart."

The entire clearing fell silent, and then Rin stepped forward. "Sesshoumaru-sama will pass your test, you'll see. His heart is strong."

From the mouths of babes, Ryozen thought, amusement filling him. I know he will, child, and you know he will - but he needs to know he will, too.

And so does his brother.

That's what this is all about, young one. Once this is done, perhaps...

Perhaps, the division in the house of Taisho will finally begin to heal.

---oOo---

A/N: Well, that mystery is cleared up. Yuki Onna was really Ryozen. Now... I wonder what Sesshoumaru's test will be?

For those that wondered about the whole, "I'll never tell' part of things - the only secret being kept is how her heart was tested, not that it was.

Amber










< br>