InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Game ❯ Ready... set... go! ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

THE GAME

The Start

The sun was setting on another brilliantly sunny day and the sky was starting to slur with the many colors of the rainbow. Hundreds of buildings stood high against the horizon as Kagome rushed out of the house with a shoe still grasped tightly in her hand.

"I'm leaving, now! See ya' in about a week! Boy is Inu-Yasha going to be made at me. I said I'd be back before sunset."

She ran while stumbling to put on her right shoe and carrying an over stuffed nap-sack. In the mists of all this she half jumped, half fell down the well (that is used as a median between there two times).

"You're late you know?" said a young boys voice from above her. She knew that it wasn't Inu-Yasha because it wasn't yelling at her. Which was all he pretty much did. Except for those few moments when he seemed to become a totally different person. But then again some one would always say or do something to make him turn around and become the old yelling Inu-Yasha. No this defiantly wasn't Inu-Yasha. So who was waiting for her? "He's really mad."

"Oh, he'll get over it." Kagome retorted coolly then thinking about it she asked, "How mad is he Shippo?"

"I think he's on the verge of being PO-ed. Keade actually had to put a spell on him so he wouldn't go down the well after you. Why?" Kagome threw her pack up over the side of the old Bone Eaters well. With an earth shaking THUD! And then began to climb up after it.

"Oh, just wondering." You could never be too careful with Inu-Yasha's temper. What if he some how got those prayer beads off? She thought about it for a second and then decided to forget it. He wouldn't hurt her. Would he? Now Kagome was fully out of the well and was looking around while she picked up her bag.

Even though this wasn't the first time she'd crawled out of the Bone Eaters well it still amazed her about how much Japan had changed sense Inu-Yasha's time.

There were trees that doted the rolling hills as Shippo and Kagome made there way toward Kaede's village and vast fields of crops to either side of them. Then, up ahead was a very angry Inu-Yasha sulking at his usual post atop a tree branch. Suddenly he jumped up and landed right in front of Kagome's face.

"So what's your excuse this time!? Huh!?" he screamed with a fit of rage in her face.

"I had a lot of homework to do and only three days to do it in. Not to mention the make up tests I missed. Then…"

"Again with these tests! What's so important about them? They just seem a big pain to me."

`Good he's starting to cool down.' Thought Kagome. "They would seem like a waste to you, but as soon as this is all over and I go home they are going to help me get a good job."

As they walked back to Kaede's house it finally dawned on Inu-Yasha.

`So she's not going to stay here? No, why would she? She's always being attacked by demons or hurt. Why would she want to stay?'

They'd walk onward Kagome smiling every time they past some one, soon she saw Miroku and Sango. And, as always, Miroku was pestering Sango trying to get her to like him, but it obviously was not working. Because as soon as Sango saw Kagome she went running up to meet her leaving Miroku to waddle up behind her looking fairly depressed at not getting any further with his and Sango's "relationship". Hearing all the `hellos', `your lates ', and `I'm sorrys ' Kaede stepped out of her hut with Myoga on her shoulder. Myoga promptly jumped to his master's shoulder.

Soon afterwards they were all sitting down around the fire in Kaede's house eating steamed rice with vegetables and chicken. Kaede's house was a pretty good house by feuding states standards. One big room all made of wood and a bamboo screen door. In the corner farthest from the door folded neatly was her futon and sleeping `pillow'. In another corner (closest to the door) was Kagome's over stuffed pack, a bow, and some arrows. Once they were finished Kaede said, "I have heard of an other demon in these parts, but I am not sure it is in the possession of a part of the jewel."

"What kind of demon is it, Lady Kaede?" Asked Sango.

"I don't know anything about this demon except that it has been moving in this direction. And the only way I know of this is that villagers from the west say that they have seen the many people it has all ready killed left on the sides of the roads. None, that I have heard of, have actually seen it."

"So what do we do?" Kagome asked with a worried look upon her face. "We can't just sit here and wait for it to come."

"No. We should head west and meet it somewhere out side the village." Miroku announced.

"I agree." Voiced Myoga, "We will also have an element of surprise since it will not be expecting us to come after it."

"Ok!" Kagome said as she rose up. "We should leave now, so we can meet this demon as far away from the village as possible." With that she picked up her nap-sack, bow, and arrows, then walked out the door.

"Wait for me Kagome." Shippo said as he scurried out after her, but outside, Kagome was nowhere to be seen. "Kagome?" He asked uncertainly to the chill November wind. "Kagome?!" Shippo asked a little louder noticing the ripped pack a few yards off to the left of him and the splintered arrows.

Finally, Inu-Yasha immerged from Kaede's hut to notice that Kagome's sent was very faint, as if she was somewhere far away. Then his eyes fell upon her scattered belongings. Franticly he shot into the air like a bullet looking all around for any trace of where Kagome was. And in the distance he could see two demon figures heading west with an unconscious Kagome hanging over the larger ones shoulder.

With out a moment's hesitation he sped off after the culprits. `If they hurt her I'm going to…', he thought, however as he was thinking of the worst things possible to do to them he noticed that the late autumn air was growing chiller and droplets of rain were beginning to fall. Soon he was flying into a full-blown storm. Kagome's sent faded away as it was replaced with fresh water and the sound of rustling leaves stirred into the loudest crashes of thunder thought possible. The only way he could fallow them now was because of the flashes of lightning that illuminated them every few seconds.