InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Giver is the Gift ❯ Show a Little Kindness ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters contained herein. They are the exclusive property of their original copyright holders. I just play with them for my own amusement.
 
The Giver is the Gift
 
Not all gifts are material. Some are actions that speak louder than any word ever spoken and hold more meaning than any present ever given.
 
Show a Little Kindness
 
His hunt for berries the next morning was interrupted by the sounds of a plaintive mew. Following the call to a slow moving stream, he came upon a tiny demon kitten that was trying desperately to catch a fish. So far, he could see, it hadn't had very good luck at it. He stood there in indecision, looking back over his shoulder at the blackberry bush he had just passed and then back to the struggling kit. It was the splash that decided him.
 
Setting his bucket on the ground, he waded past the cat into the stream. Ignoring the slight hiss and fluffed fur, he bent his attention to the water. With a moment's intense concentration and a mighty splash, a fish landed on the bank. Quick as a wink, the cat deftly ended its struggles. Wordlessly, he continued until they had a nice sized pile and the cat gave a satisfied "mer-rah." Picking one up, it turned and headed into the woods.
 
He gathered the rest and followed the kitten to a small, run-down hut and an old man who praised them both effusively. "How can I ever repay you for all your help? My Hiro and I will eat well for several days from this. Please, take some for yourself."
 
He returned to camp, not with a bucket of berries, but with a few fish and a tale to tell. Kagome's smile as she listened left him feeling as though he had just given her the world.
 
Word Count: 250