InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Guardian ❯ A Chance Meeting ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Chapter one: A chance meeting
Author's Notes: hi this is my first fanfic and I hope you guys like it! I’ll try to update often. Enjoy chapter one!



*It hadn’t been a good day for Inuyasha Takahashi and he had a feeling that it was only going to get worst. The mail had brought more bills with big red "overdue" stamps on them and he'd been lectured by his roommate, Miroku about getting a job again. So here he was driving faster than he’s ever have in his life. So fast that everything around him was a blur of lights. To get to a job he didn’t even want. It wasn’t easy for him to call his mother this morning and ask for help finding a job.

You see his mother was a successful lawyer with a lot of rich businessman friends so he knew that if anyone could find him a good job fast it was she. It didn’t take long for her to call him back with a job offering. She told him she called in a favor with an old lawyer friend who needed a bartender for a party he was throwing for a some hot shot lawyer named Kouga at Tokyo’s Famous Ballroom.


Anyway he agreed to take on the job as much as he hated the idea of serving a bunch of snobby lawyers he knew he couldn’t turn down the 50 dollar an hour deal. Plus he knew mother went through a lot to get him this job and he would do anything for her and that was also the reason why he was thinking about going back to school and becoming a doctor or something to make his mother proud. He wanted to turn his life around.


That’s why I need to get to this job on time! He told himself speeding up. Inuyasha could feel his bike gaining speed as he tore off down the street.
He took a glanced at the speedometer. What's the limit here, 65? He couldn’t remember but that didn't matter. He couldn’t be late. The sound of a blaring horn made him look up in time to see a large truck speeding toward him.
He had been so lost in thought that he had driven into the wrong lane by mistake.


Cursing he made a sharp turn and avoided colliding with the other vehicle. Once he was out of danger he scolded himself for not paying attention and so downed so he wouldn’t hurt anyone.
He took a quick look at his wristwatch and swore it was 30 miles to the Ball, he had 15 minutes to get there, and it was rush hour. He was going to be late.



*kagome Higurashi had never been in such a fancy place before life. She scanned the room anxiously, biting on her fingernails, a nervous habit she’d done since she was little. She was wearing the pink dress and matching shoes her little sister picked out for her and her hair was painfully pinned up in a twist.


She felt like a fool sitting alone in a room surrounded by famous good-looking Lawyers wearing stunning and highly fashionable clothes from top designers compared to them she looked like crap. “I’m going to kill kikyou!” She thought bitterly why she let her younger sister talk her into coming here tonight was beyond her. “Because she’s your little sister and you love her”. A voice in her head reminded her. “Shut up!” She yelled back. Could this get any worst? She thought tipping back her third glass of martini.



When she looked over to ballroom entrance she nearly had a heart attack. “It can’t be," she whispered suddenly feeling sick. This couldn't be happening! But she knew deep in heart that it was.


Her ex-boyfriend Kouga or ex-fiancé she should say looking dangerously handsome, in a tuxedo, black pants and a red tie just walked through the door. Don’t panic. She told herself picking her my menu in an attempt to disappear. But god clearly had other plans for her tonight.


"Can I take your order?"
She looked up to see a young waiter that looked around 19 smiling at her holding a pad and pencil in her hand. “No thank you.” Kagome whispered quickly taking a peek at Kouga over the menu.


But the waiter wouldn’t take no for an answer. “ Are you sure miss you’ve been sitting here a long time, you must be starving.” “I’m fine.” Why didn’t he just go away?“ You don’t look fine. Are you sure you don’t want to order any food?”“ Look kid I said I’m fine! Now get out of my face!.” She screamed making the younger man take a step back in surprise.


“Kagome is that you?” Kouga smiled approaching the table. "Yes," Kagome replied in a sneaky voice. “Well stand up let me see you.” Her grabbed her hand and twirled her around. " You look great." “Thanks.” Kagome blushed. “Sure mind if I sit down?” Before kagome could answer he took the seat at the table.


Feeling foolish still standing she took the seat across from him "Can I take your order?" the waiter repeated the stupid grin back on his face. Kouga picked up the menu in front of him. “ Yes I’ll have a steak medium rare and the lovely women across from me will have the broiled shrimps with a baked potato. The waiter nodding and took the menu kouga.
“ You remembered what I like to eat.” Kagome was shocked.
“Yes.” Kouga smiled. “ I remember everything about you Kagome.” Kagome look up and noticed that the waiter was still standing there smiling.


What was with this guy? “Hey you can go now.” Kagome informed him rudely.“ oh right.” the waiter broke out of whatever trance he was in. “ Are you Kouga, the most famous lawyer in all of Tokyo?” Kagome laughed. “ Kouga, a lawyer? Yeah right, he hates lawyers.” “ Actually Kagome I am a lawyer.” “Oh.” Once again Kagome felt like an idiot. Boy was this going to be a long night.
5 hours later.

Kagome gave a mental sign as Kouga told yet another lame joke. Throughout the 5 hours that she’d been talking with Kouga, or rather, Kouga talking and her sitting there nodding and smiling like an idiot, she quickly learned that he was the “king” of all lawyers and the man everyone including her sister had been raving about for weeks.

Funny how Kikyou forgot to mention this party was being thrown in kouga’s honor when she invited kagome here. Kagome was beginning to think that Kikyou wouldn’t show, and it was getting late and she was tired of pretending to have a good time. " Kouga you’re so funny!”

She said a little cheerily hoping Kouga hadn’t noticed her looking longingly at the door. He hadn’t. “I know” he winked. Kagome fought to keep from rolling her eyes.

"Hey, are you going to finish that?" Kouga asked already leaning over her plate, digging into her potato with his fork, before she could answer. *What did she ever see in this guy?

"Kagome?"
“Kagome?”
“Huh?” Kagome had zone out for a moment.“ I asked if you wanted anything from the bar?”
“ Oh yes.”
“ Ok I’ll be right back.”
“ No! I’ll go.” Kagome jumped out of her sit and hurried over to the bar before Kouga could object. “ Wait you don’t know what drink I want!” Kouga yelled after her. Wow he thought kagome could sure run fast.

*When Inuyasha pulled up in front of the restaurant a very large man in a business suite was waiting out front. “Mr. Morgan?” Inuyasha questioned as he walked up to the man giving him a friendly smile.


“ The one and only kid, I been waitin' for ya," he replied. Inuyasha smile disappeared in a second. He hated being called kid. “Sorry I’m late traffic was packed”. Inuyasha apologized before reaching into his back pocket, and pulling out a pack of cigarettes. “Hey give me one of those”.


Mr. Morgan demanded snatching the pack out of Inuyasha’s hand. “ Hey!” Inuyasha screamed outraged. “ I only have one left.” Who did this guy think he was? Mr. Morgan put a hand on Inuyasha shoulder. “
hey kid relax you can buy more. Or you can be a big baby about it and I can give this back and go find my self a bartender who can show up to work on time.”


“You can keep it.”
“That’s what I thought.” Mr. Morgan said giving Inyahsa a hard slap on the back.” I only gave you this job because your mother is a dear old friend of mine. But I promise you this son if you do anything to piss me off or embarrass me you’ll be outta here faster than you can say unemployment line. Got that?” “I won’t let you don’t down.”

Inyuasha wanted nothing more than to knock this guy down on his fat ass but he really needed the job. “ Good.”

Mr. Morgan smiled. "Now get outta my face and change into the suite I left for you behide the bar this is a classy place I can’t have you serving people looking like that." Inuyasha looked at his wrinkled shirt and baggy jeans. “ What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” Mr. Morgan replied by laughing in his face.


Kagome smiled as she walked up to the bar. Relieved to be away from kouga. She took a seat on a stool and pulled her cell phone out of her pocket. With a sigh she quickly dialed her sisters number. On the third ring her sister cherry voice bloomed through the phone. “ Hi this is Kikyou what’s up.”
“Kikyou where the heck are I’ve here for like six hours and I’m about to leave. I can’t believe you didn’t tell me Kouga is a lawyer the most famous lawyer in Tokyo funny how that little bit of information slipped the mind and another thing…….”



“ Just kidding!” her sisters voice interrupter with a giggle “ I’m not home right now but leave a message and I might get back you.” Kagome swore in frustration and hung up the phone.


“ What do you what to drink wench?” A smooth voice asked. Kagome looked up to see the most gorgeous man she’d ever seen in her life. It wasn’t his stunning amber gold eyes that had her drooling or even his long hair silvery white, and handsome face. It was all those things combined with the tailored black slacks, black shoes, and sexy white shirt with the top few buttons unbuttoned. That had her suddenly feeling hot.


“ Hello! Girl I just asked you if you wanted something to drink?”

“What? Oh yes!” Kagome laughed.“ Sorry can I have a dirty Harry Please.”

“Sorry wench I can only make a martini” Kagome blinked in surprise at his cold tone. "Excuse me?"
“ Are you deaf or something I said I can only make a martini.”


Kagome frowned for an instant before reaching up and snatching the collar of inuyasha’s shirt and pulling him to her face. She ignored the look of shock on his face and tried even harder to ignore his breath on her lips. “ Listen” She yelled. “I don’t know what your problem is but I’m not in the mood.


First my sister talked me into coming here then stood me up and I just finished listen to my Ex- boyfriend tell me how about how great his life has been since he dumped me eight years ago so I really don’t need an attitude from you and my name’s Kagome not wench.”


Inuyasha just stared at her stunned he had expected a girl like her to run off crying like all other women did when he yelled at them but she just yelled right back. And she was beautiful he realized taking in her heart shaped face and, full lips. She was wearing a pink dress and there was something seductive about the way her hair was up in a twist. It made him wondered how it would look spilled over his pillows. Before he could think of smart to say Kagome was already half way across the room.

*kagome was furious. How dare he speak to me like that! When she reached the table Kouga stood up to meet her. “ Hey Kagome what took you so long and where’s the drinks.” “I decided I wasn’t thirsty.” Kagome had enough of this game it was time to go home. “ Listen Kouga I’m feeling well I think I’m going to head home ok.”
“No you can’t go yet we haven’t even dance yet.” Before Kagome could respond Kouga grabbed her hand and pulled her to the middle of the dance floor.

*Inuyasha had never felt bad about anything he’d ever done before in his life but here he was at 26 feeling bad for being a jerk to Kagome. Just because he was having a bad day didn’t mean he should take it out on her, He watched her being drag onto the dance floor across the room.

she look completely miserable her partner however had goofy smile on his face. Poor kid she didn’t want to be here anymore than he did. He decided he would be her rescuer. Do his good deed for the day and get her out of here. Besides he didn’t think he could stand being in this room any longer and there was something about this women that puzzled him made him want to figure her out. This could actually be fun………..


“*so how about we go out for drinks on Saturday? You know for old time sakes.” Kouga whispered in Kagomes ear. “Kouga I don’t think that’s a good idea ok. I’m ready to go home now.” She tried to back up away from him but he held on tighter. This guy was really starting to crowd her personal space. “ What are you talking about? It’s a great idea. I’ll pick you up at 8:00.” That was the last straw. Kagome put her hand up into his chest and pushed hard and sent Kouga flying to the floor.“ Just stop Kouga it’s not going to happen ok! It’s never going to happen because…because”

Kagome looked around the room and noticed the music had stopped and people were looking at them strangely. She quickly grabs Kouga hand and helped him to his feet. “I’m sorry ok.” She whispered. “ I just want to go.” “No! You can’t not yet just one more dance.” And just like all she was mad all over again. “Listen Kouga” she didn’t get to finish her rant because she was interrupted by a yank at her arm

“Kagome baby! There you are! I’ve looking all over for you.” Who the* heck are you? Kagome snarled or at least she would have if she hadn’t been trap in a bear hug. “Let go of me!” Kagome yelled into the shoulder of the stranger’s shirt. Of course no one understand what she said. “Sorry babe what was that?” the stranger loosen his hold and look down on her his eyes twinkling in amusement. “You….” Was all Kagome could say as she stared into the beautiful hazel eyes of the man that had her roaring with anger a little while ago.

He looked different he wasn’t wearing a suite anymore instead he had on baggy jeans with and a wrinkled shirt. Movement from behind broke the spell. “Kagome do you know this man?” Kagome looked at Kouga, surprised. She had forgotten he was there.
“uh”
“Hi I’m Inuyasha Kagome’s boyfriend we’ve been dating for a year right love?” He stuck out his hand to shake Kougas hand, Kouga ignored it. Inyasha gave a little smirk and put an arm around Kagome’s shoulders and pulled Kagome closer.

She didn’t know why this guy was being so nice all the sudden and didn’t trust him. But he was trying to help. She sent him a grateful smile. He winked back at her.“ hey it’s getting kind of stuffy in here why don’t you and I go check out the new bar that just open around the corner from here.” He winked at her playfully tugging on her hair as if it was something he’d done to her all the time. Man this guy is good.

“S Sure.” Kagome stuttered. God what was wrong with her it wasn’t like she was really going to go out for drinks with this guy. Once they were outside they would go they’re separate ways. “But. But I haven’t told you about my college frat party story yet” the disappointment in Kouga voice couldn’t be missed and Kagome almost felt sorry for the prick. Almost. “ Well maybe you can tell me about it another time.” Kagome said in a gentle voice slowly inching away from him. Poor guy probably never has been rejected before.

Inuyasha leaned forward, and slapped Kouga on the back in the same way his boss did earlier. “Well it was nice meeting you.” He sent Kouga a cocky smiled that clearly said, “I win” Then he turn to leave, taking Kagome with him but stopped when Kouga put an hand on Kagome’s arm and pulled her back.

“Kagome are you sure you want to leave with this guy?” Kagome turned bewildered eyes on him at the tone his voice had taken on. The fury in his eyes made Kagome want to take a step back but Kouga strong clutch on her arm prevented her to do so.

Inuyasha grabbed Kagome roughly by the other arm and pushed her behind him. "Listen, Kouga," he said with his face just inches away Kouga, " She’s not interested in you ok. She leaving with me get that through your head.
"Kagome look at the scene playing out in front of her she knew she needed to get Inuyasha out of here fast before he beat the crap out of Kouga. “Kouga I really need to go now.” She turned glaring at people as she exited the ball who was giving her dirty looks as she walked passed them. She barely made it out the door before Inuyasha grab her arm.
“ Hey wait up your not trying to run out on me without repaying you debt are you?” “Excuse me?”
“ You owe me a drink remember?” Kagome stared the guy standing before her was he joking? “Thank you for your help I think I’m just going to go back to my hotel now.” she didn’t hide the annoyance in her voice. She appreciated the help he gave her but she was tired and it was late. She turned to walk away but stopped when she heard him say, “ Scared?”

And with that one word he had her just where he wanted her because even though she knew she should keep walking and pretend like she didn’t hear him her pride wouldn’t let her. She could not turn down his offer. Kagome never backed down from a challenge.
“What makes you think that?” she said coolly turning around to face him; she crossed her arms over her chest and staring him straight in the eyes.

He graced her with a cool smile of his own. “So what are we wanting for? Come on we’ll sit down have a drink or two what’s the worst that could happen? Knowing that she was trapped Kagome did the only thing that she could.

“Lead the way.” She said giving in. She forced a smiled as Inuyasha took her hands into his but couldn’t shake the feeling that she just made a deal with the devil.

Kouga watched Kagome leave the ballroom with Inuyasha following close behind He was outraged. How dare Inuyasha try to steal his women.


“ Sir where’d your lady friend go.”


“Home.” He replied

He was so lost in thought that he didn’t notice the waiter return to the table and start to take the dirty dishes away. He grabbed the waiter’s hand before he could take away kagome’s glass.

He lifted the glass and turned it around to the side where kagome lipstick was smudged and put it to his lips tipping his head back he drunk up the last drop of her martini.

“Sir.”


“Yeah.” He asked not removing his eyes from the glass.

“ Your lady friend forgot her cell phone.”

Kouga looked up and smiled taking the cell phone from the young man. Looks like he’d be seeing Kagome sooner than he thought.

“ Waiter?”

“Yes sir?”

“ Check please.”