InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Musical Prayer ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: I'm indulging in my love of music a little in this chapter…I hope none of you mind too much. Normally I resist the urge to put lyrics to a song in my stories since that doesn't mean anything to anyone without being able to hear the music, but I just couldn't help myself this time, and I think the lyrics can speak for themselves enough to stand on their own two feet. And, to supplement that, my personal website is almost finished, at which point you all can go there and hear all of these songs (save one) for yourselves, as I've sung all of them at some point or another.
 
The information for the songs are below, so that no one will think I'm taking any sort of credit for myself…because I'm not. I'm just the singer of the songs and the writer of this humble story (in which the characters don't even belong to me…man am I pathetic or what?).
 
SONGS WITH COMPLETE LYRICS:
-- “Oh, My Luv's Like a Red, Red, Rose” is by Rene Clausen, and is based on a recycled text. It features violin, as well as piano, and is arranged for SATB choirs.
-- “Homeward Boundis an old folksong that requires only a piano. I personally think it sounds best when sung by a boy soprano, just like my brother has done it so beautifully for me so many times with his boy soprano voice.
-- “What is a Youth?” is from the Franco Zeferelli version of 'Romeo and Juliet'. I fell in love with the song the first time I heard it, and for some reason couldn't resist incorporating it into this chapter. It can be accompanied by any kind of instrument, though for the sake of this story it is done solely by a violin.
-- “Ave verum Corpus” is composed by David Childs, and is a majestic acapella piece that leaves you breathless. It seems to me like the piece was written to be sung in a cathedral, surrounded by murals of angels, the air tinted thanks to the stained glass windows. But that's just my opinion…it is arranged for SATB choirs.
SONGS THAT ARE REFERRED TO, BUT HAVE NO LYRICS
-- “Lamentations of Jeremiah” is by Z. Randall Stroope, and leaves you stunned at its incredible finale. It is about the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians, is arranged for SATB choirs, and is accompanied only by piano.
-- “Bogoroditsche Devo” is a Russian piece by Rachmoninoff that uses a similar text to the English hymn “Ave Maria”. It is beautiful, slow, and full of stunning, breathtakingly soft chords. It is an acapella piece arrange for SATB choirs.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Thirteen: Musical Prayer
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for several of the historical ideas, facts, and realities I have taken and used. Also, any songs used in this chapter are not mine, nor are the lyrics. They belong strictly to their original composers.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Once finished with its stay at the home of King Bankotsu, the court quickly packed up its things and moved on, towards its next destination: the Kingdom of the South, ruled by Queen Kagura. But this next journey would take at least another two weeks, and so, in order to rest, I had planned for the court to stop at the large Monastery that stood in between us and the South, where the entire court would attend first a large service, and then a musical performance that I had arranged, including a chorus and organist.
 
Everyone had been surprised when this was announced, because such a fete had not been attempted in years…not since the old Queen, Inuyasha's mother, had been alive. I was quickly discovering I did many things to spawn that comment….
 
Actually, in all honesty, that is where I had taken the idea. After reading her personal memoirs in regards to the Summer Progresses she had planned, I had decided it would be a wonderful idea to use the old Monastery as a performance hall. The way I saw it, the court had to stop for Mass anyway, so we might as well rest for the afternoon and enjoy some music.
 
But that meant that my life had taken a turn for the worse, and I didn't know a moment's peace for nearly a week, hardly sleeping, and only eating when I could manage a two minute meal. This did not please any of my friends, though Kouga was the most verbal about it, but I had no choice. I had promised Inuyasha I would do my best to fulfill my duties, and to this day no one can say Kagome Higurashi backs out on her promises…no matter what the cost to me…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
A deep baritone voice wafted throughout the great hall as the monk chanted the final prayer of the service. Kneeling, Kagome slowly lifted her head as she silently closed the hymnal in her hands, muttering an `amen' and smoothing her fingers over the aged spine, wondering how many services it had seen and lived through up to that moment.
 
The great Monastery that had been established by Inutaisho at the beginning of his reign two hundred years ago was awe-inspiring. The quarters where they had been living were sparsely furnished, though well kept, but it was the cathedral that brought tears to Kagome's eyes.
 
Tall, arching ceilings framed by the light allowed through stained glass windows created a hue in the air that seemed to be from heaven itself. All around were murals of the Virgin Mary, the Holy Son, and dozens of angels with white, feathered wings that looked so real Kagome wanted to reach out and touch them.
 
Everything was carved out of white marble, including the seats. However, Kagome had anticipated this and commissioned small, round pillows of blue and white (loyal to her family, as always) for each member of the court. After all, even though the monks had committed themselves to sitting on hard stone seats for hours at a time, the rest of the court would surely not last ten minutes before their backs and rears gave out under the pressure.
 
As the soloist finished his lines every man in the monastery choir, which was seated in seats above the great organ, harmonized a slow, soothing `Amen', at the end of which everyone rose to their feet to stretch their legs and step outside for some fresh air before they would return inside once more to hear the concert Kagome had been working so hard to pull together since they'd arrived.
 
Kagome watched as, at the front of the long aisle, Kikyou and Inuyasha rose from their knees as well, turning and acknowledging each other before moving away to speak to their friends and acquaintances.
 
As always, Kagome noted how beautiful her sister looked, dressed in a gown of deep gold outlined in white fur, a solitary ruby at her throat, her hair brushed back and away from her face, looking soft and tempting as it cascaded down her back. Their eyes met momentarily, in which time the Higurashi sisters exchanged a silent greeting, before breaking the moment and going their separate ways.
 
Inuyasha, however, captivated Kagome's attention for far longer, looking, in her opinion, positively dashing in a deep red shirt with black pants. For some reason, the red seemed to accent everything about him, including his stunning amber eyes, which more and more seemed to draw her into a far away world, and his incredible wealth of silver hair, which was currently gleaming in the sunlight pouring through the stained glass windows.
 
At that moment he could have been an angel from her perspective, save for the fact that she knew full well he wasn't.
 
As though feeling her eyes upon him, the young King turned towards Kagome suddenly and blinked several times before seeming to make a silent decision and walked over to stand beside her. “Good morning, my lady,” he commented graciously, though too formal for Kagome's taste.
 
Trying to break the ice, she chuckled. “I believe it is already afternoon by now, Your Majesty.”
 
Grimacing, the hanyou turned to look directly into her eyes. “Please call me Inuyasha,” he all but whispered, and Kagome shivered at his tone.
 
“Of course…but only if you keep your promise to call me Kagome.”
 
That brought forth a rare smile, and it was clear to both of them that, since the joust, something had shifted between them…something extremely important. “As you wish, Kagome.”
 
They stared at one another in companionable silence for a long moment before Kagome finally looked away, towards the ceiling, and sighed loudly, her shoulders rising and falling to accent her point. How she found herself wishing he belonged to her, making her free to gaze at him for as long, and openly, as she liked. “It was such a beautiful service, don't you think?”
 
He grunted. “I wouldn't know.”
 
“What is that supposed to mean?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged. “Just that I've never cared for such things as church services.”
 
Kagome laughed at that. “You mean to tell me that besides being positively rude sometimes you are also a questioner of your faith?”
 
That brought a smile to his face, despite the fact that everyone was watching them, and when he spoke his voice was heavy with meaning, something unknown to her hidden behind his courtier's mask. “Is that not to your liking, Lady Kagome?”
 
“Just Kagome…”
 
“Whatever…”
 
She looked at him steadily for several seconds, not even realizing that she was leaning closer to his body as she did so, as though pulled by some unseen gravitational force. “I actually find it…enticing,” she finally replied, shocking herself by being so open and forward.
 
Inuyasha felt an unexpected shiver run through his body, unlike anything he'd felt before, and he found himself growing warm the longer he remained in Kagome Higurashi's presence. The scent of roses in his nose held promise, and the look in her eyes, innocent and yet so enticingly seductive, caused something within his gut to stir.
 
Unfortunately, before he could reply, he heard the sound of the organ player warming up his fingers, and Kagome jumped as though waking from a dream.
 
“I'd better go,” she commented shyly. “It's time to rehearse for the concert since I don't think you want to have us be unprepared.”
 
“Somehow I doubt they'd be unprepared with you in charge,” he replied without thinking, only realizing what he'd said after registering the surprised, but pleased, look on Kagome's face. He smiled, deciding it was okay after all to give her a compliment once in a while…so long as she didn't get the wrong idea.
 
Or, more to the point…so long as he didn't get any bad ideas in his head.
 
“I'll take that as a compliment,” she commented happily before sweeping away, and he watched her go with a certain amount of regret, almost feeling colder without her near him, before turning to go and find Miroku, who was no doubt outside glued to his latest infatuation, the Lady Sango.
 
Ever since she had granted him her favor for the joust, which, Inuyasha learned, had taken much begging and pleading on the part of his friend, he had decided she was the love of his life. Unfortunately for Miroku, however, his reputation as a ladies' man was rather large, and very difficult to overcome. So this would prove interesting, and, at the very least, would serve to take the images of Kagome Higurashi out of the young King's mind…for the time being.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Taking several deep breaths, Kagome glanced around the corner once more to see the ladies and gentlemen of the court taking their seats, filling the entire cathedral. Up until that moment, all of this had felt like routine…just a job she had to do…but now, suddenly, seeing all the people, it sunk in that she was indeed about to perform, and that all eyes would be on her, watching for mistakes as much as they would praise her successes.
 
She hadn't performed in public since before…
 
A low cough brought her back to reality, and Kagome looked over her shoulder to see Shippou shuffling his feet with his hands behind his back, dressed in a brand new green shirt…though she noticed he hadn't changed into his new pants yet.
 
She put on her kindest smile and knelt down at his eye level. “Are you ready, Shippou?”
 
He blushed and looked at the ground. “I guess…but Kagome, what if I forget the words?”
 
She touched his cheek kindly with her hand. “You won't, I promise…it's only one song, and you sounded like an angel an hour ago.”
 
“Really?” He looked hopeful, telling her that the pep talk was working.
 
“Yes, absolutely marvelous. The audience will love you.” She rubbed his nose with her own. “Now you'd better get changed, since you'll be up and performing soon.”
 
“Okay!” He brightened and scampered off as Kagome rose back up to her full height. Feeling a presence behind her, she turned and found herself looking into Kouga's smiling face, dressed in his most formal attire with a newly pressed white shirt and black pants that all seemed to glow as though under the light of the moon. His hair was brushed into a sheen, his clear blue eyes sparkled, and altogether he looked like the kind of dashing prince every girl would dream of marrying some day.
 
That's why it was such a pity, Kagome thought to herself, that she couldn't seem to get her heart steered on the right course. For some reason, it kept drifting in the direction of a hanyou with amber eyes like the sky at dusk, his chiseled features giving him a beautiful…yes, beautiful…appearance…
 
“This is some performance you have arranged, Kagome,” Kouga commented, and Kagome shook her head to wipe out the image of Inuyasha's face in her mind. Now was not the time to become sentimental and wistful.
 
Smiling, she nodded. “It is, isn't it?” She frowned and bit her lip. “I just hope it all goes well.”
 
“How could it not, under your guidance?” Kouga put his arm around her waist and twirled her once before setting her down and planting a chaste kiss on her forehead. “Everyone sounds wonderful…and your music selection is perfect.”
 
“Do you really think so?”
 
He nodded as though he were some expert. “Most definitely; and I know that everyone out in that audience will agree with me by the end of the evening.”
 
She worried her lip some more. “I hope you're right, Kouga.” She thought about the rehearsal that had ended only thirty minutes ago. “I suppose everything does seem to be falling into place.”
 
“Of course it is. The monks practiced the music you sent them a month ago, and the people you selected for the other choir are all prepared because you've had the chance to practice with them for a long time.”
 
For some strange reason, his confidence was seeping into her own heart, and Kagome felt herself standing up just that much straighter as a bright smile came to her face. “You're right…everything will be fine.”
 
“That's the idea!” He exclaimed and pecked her on the cheek before moving back towards the other performers. “I can't wait for our duet.”
 
Kagome nodded indulgently, knowing he was extremely excited about getting to sing in the choir as well as having a solo with her on the violin as accompaniment. It would be fun, she thought, even if she was so torn inside at the moment.
 
The final signal that everyone had taken their seats was announced when the trumpets welcoming the King and his future Queen pierced the air, and Kagome risked one final glance around the corner before making her official entrance. There sat Inuyasha, his face as passive as ever, and yet her breath still hitched in her throat at the sight of him, and she knew in that moment, as she saw to his left her sister Kikyou, that these were dangerous feelings she was battling.
 
Turning back to her performers, which consisted of the forty-man monastery choir plus five extra men from the court, along with the fifty women she'd assembled for the treble section of the choir, she nodded and smiled. “Is everyone ready?”
 
One at a time they nodded, and Kagome smiled brighter. They were certainly not professionally dressed; everyone was wearing their most formal attire, which, unfortunately, differed not only in style but also in color, so that they really looked like an assembly of flowers in a meadow…except for the monks, who were all wearing their robes. But those were so drab that it looked horrifically out of place next to the gowns of the ladies of the court. And Kouga certainly seemed to stand out in comparison at that moment as well.
 
Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, knowing this was a very important performance for not only her reputation but also for the entertainment of the rest of the court, she nodded. “Alright, it's time! File on stage just like we practiced.”
 
Obeying, one by one the rows entered the main cathedral, lining up on the large marble steps, and as they did applause filled the large space.
 
Feeling her heart flutter, Kagome picked up her violin, swallowing as she rubbed her fingers over the old rose colored wood, remembering the day her father had presented it to her when she was five years old. It had been too big at the time, and yet she had loved it and learned to play it just the same, and since had refused to part with it.
 
Now, as always, it gave her strength as she felt her father, Lord Higurashi, surround her and kiss her cheeks, like he once did, telling her everything would be alright. And, with that in mind, she walked out into the spotlight before the choir, standing slightly off to the side since she wasn't an official singer, but not the conductor either, since that job went to the monk who conducted the monastery choir.
 
Inuyasha was instantly aware of Kagome as she stepped out into the light, having changed into a formal gown of burgundy…the gown he had come to love so much. She looked just as stunning in it as always, wearing the long strand of pearls he had given her belted at her waist, the matching pearl necklace and earrings in place as well, her hair falling down her back in what had obviously been carefully curled waves.
 
What he was not expecting, however, was the violin that she now carried in her hand. He recalled that day, so long ago now, when they had spoken in her room after he had happened upon her playing the instrument, when she had insisted that she would never play for an audience…clearly, he thought ruefully, she had changed her mind. It made him almost joyful, since he hadn't heard her play since that day, and she was truly gifted.
 
A small gasp to his left caused him to turn his head, only to find Kikyou with a slightly wide-eyed expression. “Kikyou? What's wrong?”
 
The woman shook her head, her black hair falling over her shoulders. “Nothing,” she breathed, “It's just that, well…”
 
“What?” Inuyasha was now genuinely curious, since he hadn't heard such an awe-struck tone in her voice before. “What is it?”
 
A wistful smile came to her face. “It's just that, well, I haven't heard Kagome play the violin in almost five years, since before I left for court at the age of thirteen.” She closed her eyes as though living in some memory he couldn't see. “I remember how she decided she would give me a concert as a going away present to me…”
 
* * * * * * * * * * * *
 
“Sister, sister! Wait! Oh, please don't leave yet! Wait!”
 
Kikyou stopped and turned to see her ten year old sister, Kagome, running down the stairs dressed in her morning gown of pink satin, her hair falling about her wildly, not even attempting to be controlled. Clearly, she thought with a smile, her sister hadn't even bothered to get ready for the day yet.
 
“I'm here, Kagome,” she replied, “What is it?”
 
The little girl appeared clutching her violin, still too large for her arms, breathing heavily from her exertion. “I…I wanted to give you a present.”
 
“A present?”
 
“Yes…since you're going away.” Both of their gazes turned somewhat sad at that statement.
 
“How sweet of you, Kagome.” Kikyou praised, trying not to allow the slight melancholy at leaving her sister to overtake her heart again. “So what is this present?”
 
The little girl brightened and stepped away, twirling playfully as she raised her violin. “I'm going to play a song for you. It's your song, Kikyou…I wrote it.”
 
“You…wrote it?” Kikyou was impressed, though she didn't expect much from a ten year old girl.
 
“Yes! I've been working on it for six months, since I first heard that you would be leaving for court.”
 
“I see.” She put on her kindest smile and stepped back. “Well then, lets hear it.”
 
What came from the instrument was the most beautiful, haunting melody she'd ever heard. It was like Kagome had poured all the happiness, joy, and even sadness that the two sisters had known together into that one song, because Kikyou felt all her memories returning. It was like a floodgate had been opened, and she couldn't resist the tears in her eyes.
 
“Sister?” Kagome finished and put her violin down. “Kikyou? What's wrong? Did you not like it?”
 
“Oh Kagome!” Forgetting all manners and propriety, the thirteen year old girl threw her arms around her beloved younger sister and held her close, feeling Kagome cling to her just as fervently. “It was beautiful…” She finally whispered.
 
“I'm going to miss you so much,” Kagome whined.
 
“I know, I'll miss you too.”
 
“I love you, Kikyou.”
 
She froze, feeling warm at such innocent, honest words, and sighed, allowing them to wash over her heart and act as a salve for the ache in her soul. This separation would be difficult. “I love you too…Kagome…”
 
* * * * * * * * * * * *
 
“And did she?” Inuyasha found himself asking, cutting into Kikyou's thoughts but unable to restrain himself, happy as he was as he realized that they were actually talking again, like they had before they'd become officially engaged.
 
Kikyou chuckled, the sound deep and, in its own way, beautiful because for once it held no hidden motive…no flirtation, and no malice. “Yes, and it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard. She was so good back then…I can only imagine how accomplished she is now.”
 
“She's wonderful,” he answered, which earned him a puzzled stare. Rushing to explain, he felt his cheeks turn pink as he spoke. “I, um…accidentally stumbled on her room when she was playing.”
 
“Oh?” Kikyou raised an eyebrow.
 
“Nothing happened beyond that, I swear,” he plunged on, to which the dark-haired, dark eyed woman simply laughed again, putting up her hand for silence.
 
“I know, Inuyasha…and not just because of you. I know my sister well enough to know she wouldn't do anything with my fiancé.”
 
He blushed again, also feeling slightly hurt at the thought that it was Kagome she trusted not to misbehave, and not himself. Did she still not trust him, after knowing each other for nearly two and a half years? The thought was disheartening.
 
The conductor turned and lifted his arms to signal that the concert was about to begin, and the audience went completely silent, their attention now solely focused on the performers, meaning all conversation between the King and his fiancée halted for the moment.
 
The first song was pleasant enough; a Russian lullaby with beautiful harmonizing chords that seemed to fill the entire space. Inuyasha had to admit that Kagome had done a brilliant job of selecting the men and women for the choir, because their sound was marvelous.
 
But it was the second song that drew his attention immediately, because Kagome, with great reverence, stepped out into the spotlight and lifted her violin so that it rested under her chin, her cheek leaning against the soft wood, and as the conductor raised his hand the most beautiful strains came forth from the instrument, harmonizing with the organ player above. And even once the choir joined her, Inuyasha found he was only aware of Kagome as she moved and swayed with the music, the beautiful words seeming to surround her as much as they surrounded the singers.
 
Oh, my luv's like a red, red, rose,
That's newly sprung in June.
Oh my luv's like a melody,
That's sweetly played in tune.
 
As fair, art thou my bonnie lass,
So deep in love am I.
I will love thee still my dear,
Till all the seas gang dry.
 
I will love thee still my dear,
While the sands of life shall run,
Till the seas gang dry, my dear,
And rocks melt with the sun.
 
As fair, art thou my bonnie lass,
So deep in love am I.
I will love thee still my dear,
Thou it were ten thousand mile.
 
The music seemed to build on itself like waves in an ocean, and as Inuyasha watched he felt himself drawn into the very essence of the song, desperately wanting to stand up and move and sway the same way Kagome was doing at that moment. Her hair fluttered about her head like a cloud, and her fingers delicately stroked the bow over the strings of her instrument.
 
As the melody grew louder Kagome moved more aggressively so that, at one point, she seemed to almost be preparing to take off and fly into the sky, before calming down once more so that, towards the end of the song, she stopped altogether and, with delicate reverence, pulled such a high note that everyone in the crowd softly gasped in surprised pleasure.
 
Thou it were ten thousand mile.
 
The chorus finished the last line and the conductor allowed his hands to fall, but when the audience applauded it was obvious who they were appreciating at that moment. Never before had someone played the violin with such heart…such emotion. Kagome clearly loved what she was doing, and everyone could see that, and they had all been pulled into her world for just that moment, making it a beautiful experience for everyone.
 
Blushing, Kagome allowed herself to take a slight bow, holding her violin protectively at her side, and was surprised at the elation she now felt in her heart. She hadn't realized before how much she truly had missed performing for people. The only reason she'd agreed to do the performance in the first place was because they had needed a violin player, and from there things had just sort of spiraled out of control so that, now, she was going to be playing with Kouga in a solo/duet type performance.
 
And yet, for the first time in a long time, as she watched the audience applauding with beaming smiles on every face, Kagome felt like she had before her father had died, when he had first taught her how to hold a violin in her hands and patiently sat through her painful first lessons as she struck wrong notes and horrendous sounding chords.
 
Smiling back at the people before her, Kagome waited patiently for them to settle down before stepping back once more, setting her violin down reverently before standing up to her full height again.
 
The choir proceeded to sing a song titled `Lamentations of Jeremiah', about the fall of Jerusalem, which was a powerful piece Kagome had selected because she felt the need to demonstrate variety. It had the desired effect, since at the end, when the final forte chord was hit, everyone was stunned into silence for several moments before applauding, and the piece after that had a pleasant tune to provide a classical contrast.
 
The concert was going well, and Kagome felt her heart swelling with pride as she realized that her night of music was turning out to be a huge success so that, by the time Shippou appeared on stage, she knew she had pulled off what had at first seemed like an impossible fete.
 
Dressed in a short pair of black pants that allowed his fox tail to stick out the back, and wearing a white shirt and red vest, Shippou looked positively adorable, and all the women cooed as they saw him. He puffed out his chest in pride, and Kagome wanted to giggle, and yet held back, not wanting to crush the serious look on his face.
 
She glanced at him and winked before looking up at the organ player and nodding her head, at which point beautiful strains started drifting down into the main cathedral, and Shippou took a deep breath and began to sing in a pure, beautiful boy soprano voice.
 
In the quiet misty morning,
When the moon has gone to bed.
When the sparrows stop their singing
And the sky is clear and red.
 
When the summer's ceased its gleaming,
When the corn is past its prime,
When adventure's lost its meaning,
I'll be homeward bound in time.
 
Bind me not to the pasture:
Chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling
And I'll return to you somehow.
 
Inuyasha had no idea Shippou could sing like that, and felt himself swell with pride in spite of himself at that moment. No matter what he said or did to the little kitsune, he honestly felt a certain amount of fatherly affection for the boy, and at that moment felt as proud as any father would upon seeing his son giving such a wonderful performance.
 
But more then that, the words in the song touched his heart in a way he had not expected, and without thinking Inuyasha allowed his eyes to drift over to rest on Kagome's still form as she eyed Shippou with an affectionate gaze.
 
As though sensing his eyes upon her, she lifted her gaze to meet his own, and for a moment all time stopped between them, and all either knew was each other and the words of a little boy soprano.
 
Inuyasha felt himself relating to the words in a way he had never before experienced. He too felt like he'd been bound to a fate he didn't want, when he'd been handed the crown of his father. He felt trapped, like he'd never been given the chance to discover what he truly loved and wanted to do with his life. And yet, strangely enough, as he looked at Kagome, all that disappeared. He felt like, if he just held her gaze, everything would be alright, because she would make everything alright.
 
Shippou was growing in confidence as he sang, realizing he was not going to forget any of the words, and there wasn't a frowning face in the whole audience…who could possibly frown when such an adorable boy was up singing such an adorable song?
 
If you find it's me you're missing,
If you're hoping I'll return.
To your thoughts I'll soon be listening,
In the road I'll stop and turn.
 
Then the wind will set me racing
As my journey nears its end,
And the path I'll be retracing
When I'm homeward bound again.
 
Bind me not to the pasture:
Chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling
And I'll return to you somehow.
 
Inuyasha couldn't tear his gaze away from Kagome, and in that moment she had never seemed more beautiful. The candles that lit the otherwise dark cathedral captured her face in a hue that seemed to be a glow from heaven itself, and her eyes gazed upon him with a softness he'd not ever felt before from anyone, not even Kikyou when they had been courting.
 
A smile, unwittingly, came to her face; soft and gentle. In return he felt his own lips curving upwards, and suddenly wished with all his heart that she could be the woman he was missing as he was out on the journey Shippou sang about. He wished she could be the woman who found herself missing him, so that he could return to her and put a smile on her face.
 
In the quiet misty morning
When the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing…
 
Shippou smiled as he sang the last line, hitting a high note like an angel would.
 
I'll be homeward bound again.
 
In the silence that followed, Inuyasha found himself imagining Kagome standing before a small house near the base of the mountains, dressed just as she was now in that burgundy gown, her hair falling freely about her shoulders as it was tossed in the wind, the sun setting behind her, framing her in beautiful shades of red, yellow, and orange.
 
She would be smiling, he thought to himself, and he imagined what it would feel like to take her in his arms and hold her, smelling the scent of roses…
 
It was the applause that broke his train of thought, and Inuyasha blinked several times to clear his head, unable to believe he had even been thinking such things with his future wife at his side, a pleasant smile on her face. Glancing over at Kagome he could see she had been thinking something similar, because her head was now lowered towards the ground and she was blushing like a fool.
 
Thankfully the next song began, and he was able to forget about everything else for the time being since it was in a foreign language, German, so he had no idea what they were saying. And even though Kagome continued to look at him, he did his best to stare at the ground.
 
Kagome couldn't believe she had been so foolish. She knew that a few moments ago her face had been as easy to read as an open book, and feared that now surely the King knew she was growing very fond of him…more fond of him then she should be…to put it lightly.
 
Thankfully she was provided with a distraction when the current song ended and Kouga came forward, signaling it was her time again to play the violin. At least this way she could focus solely on the music, rather then the handsome King sitting…to her frustration…right in the center of the front row.
 
“This is a song from my home,” Kouga explained with a smile, glancing at Kagome, “And there's no one I would rather sing it with then the woman I am, hopefully, going to marry very soon.” He cleared his throat and looked back at the audience, leaving Kagome to blush like a fool.
 
She honestly didn't deserve such a man…a man who loved her so completely and openly and honestly, and trusted her to be faithful to him in her mind, body, and soul. It wasn't right…because every time she looked at Inuyasha, or thought of Inuyasha, she seemed to only betray her wolf prince even more.
 
A long silence filled the space, and Kagome suddenly realized everyone was waiting for her, including Kouga, to start the song. Shaking her head she blushed even more as she nodded at the organist, who played a C in order for her to tune her instrument. Finally, she was ready to begin, and so gave Kouga his starting note and the two began their duet.
 
Much to Inuyasha's chagrin, Kouga had a beautiful tenor voice…yet another talent where he had bested the hanyou, who couldn't carry a tune to save his soul…and what was worse, everyone else in the audience noticed as well.
 
From every direction he seemed surrounded by comments about how with Kagome's talent on the violin and Kouga's talent as a singer, they seemed perfectly matched in every way. He was handsome and she was beautiful, they said, and they were both genuine people who loved to laugh and smile. They were both active, and everyone couldn't help but like them both.
 
With a sigh of regret, Inuyasha realized, as his sharp ears picked up on all this, that they were right. When you put it that way, Kouga was perfect for Kagome. And if that were the case, then why should she ever be interested in someone like him, with the baggage of a lifetime of sorrow and rejection, who was antisocial, couldn't play an instrument, and couldn't sing?
 
He had been a fool, he thought as he listened to the music, to ever think she could be interested in him. Not that it mattered, since he was engaged…
 
What is a youth?
Impetuous fire.
What is a maid?
Ice and desire.
The world wags on.
 
A rose will bloom,
It then will fade.
So does a youth,
So does the fairest maid.
 
Comes a time,
When one sweet smile,
Has its season for a while,
Then love's in love with me.
 
Some may think only to marry,
Others will tease and tarry.
Mine is the very best parry,
Cupid he rules us all.
 
Cape for the cape,
A sing me the song,
Death will come soon
To hush us along.
 
Sweeter then honey
And bitter as gall,
Love is the pastime
That never will pall.
 
Sweeter then honey
And bitter as gall,
Cupid he rules us all.
 
Up until that moment Kagome had been nothing more then the background music for Kouga, which had slowly been grating on Inuyasha's nerves despite the fact that it was a beautiful song, and now stepped forward to play a small solo. The hanyou smiled as he watched her, and his eyes went soft. She was so beautiful…
 
Kouga started up again, and without meaning to, Inuyasha growled slightly, as though to show his displeasure at having to listen to his annoying voice rather then simply Kagome's violin, and Kikyou shot him a puzzled stare that also contained a warning to mind his manners.
 
A rose will bloom,
It then will fade.
So does a youth…
So does the fairest maid.
 
Kagome pulled the last chord, and the audience immediately began to applaud, though when Inuyasha put his hands together it was for Kagome alone. And, strangely enough, as she bowed he found her eyes searching for his, as though asking him, silently, if she had done a good job. To answer her, he put a rare smile on his face, and her eyes lit up like two brightly burning stars in return.
 
It made him feel strangely warm.
 
Finally, after several more numbers, they came to the finale, and Kagome stepped forward to say a few words, as was her duty as the Summer Maiden and the one who had orchestrated the entire concert in the first place.
 
Feeling nervous, as she always did when having to give public speeches, she swallowed and gripped her violin even tighter in her hands. “I'd like to thank all of you for putting up with my love of music and insistence that we have this concert,” she began, her voice deceptively strong, and everyone chuckled, giving her courage to continue.
 
“The idea for this concert actually first came to me when I was reading through the memoirs of the former Queen, who described putting on a performance for the entire court while stopping over at the large monastery in between the Southern and Eastern provinces.” She glanced at Inuyasha and smiled shyly, knowing she was speaking about his mother, and he stared back without hesitation. “I thought it was a wonderful idea, and so I began the process of piecing together a choir out of all the people of the court.” She glanced back at the choir. “And this was the final result. I thank you again for all your support this evening, and your applause, and now, with one final number, we'll take our leave and you can all go back to your beds.”
 
Another laugh followed that last comment, along with a certain amount of applause, and Kagome stepped back next to the choir once more as they began to sing the hymn `Ave Verum Corpus'.
 
Ave verum corpus
(Hail, true body,)
 
Natum de Maria virgine:
(born of the virgin Mary)
 
Vere passum, inmmolatum
(who truly suffered, was sacrificed)
 
In cruce pro homine:
(on the cross for mankind)
 
Cujus latus perforatum
(whose side was pierced)
 
Unda fluxit et sanguine:
(whence flowed water and blood)
 
Esto nobis praegustatum in
(be for us a foretaste during)
 
Mortis examine.
(our final examining)
 
O jesu dulcis, O jesu pie,
(O Jesu sweet, O Jesu pure)
 
O jesu Fili Mariae
(O Jesu son of Mary)
 
Miserere Mei
(Have mercy upon me)
 
Amen.
(Amen)
 
Kagome had selected the piece because it was like a final prayer for the monks of the monastery, and it had exactly the effect she desired. The entire audience was silent for several long minutes before finally breaking into loud applause, rising to its feet as one being to give the chorus and the conductor a standing ovation.
 
Tears of pride welled up in her eyes as Kagome viewed the reaction to what she had done, realizing her fears that the audience would dislike such a serious concert because they would not appreciate the music as she did being proved unfounded and completely wrong.
 
But more then that, Kagome felt herself choke back a fresh onslaught of tears as she saw the one person she had least expected to enjoy the concert rise to her feet first and applaud with all her might.
 
Kikyou had the warmest, kindest smile on her face, and for just a moment Kagome thought she was looking into the face of the sister she had known and adored growing up. Their eyes met, and Kikyou seemed to be telling her, silently, `well done, little sister…well done'.
 
“I love you, Kikyou…”
 
“I love you too…Kagome…”
 
The chorus began to break apart and move back into the audience to receive congratulations and personal compliments, and Kagome found herself moving towards the only person she had really wanted to impress that evening at all, her feet moving as though they had a will of their own.
 
Inuyasha eyed her carefully, but kindly, as she approached, and she put a smile on her face as she finally reached him, standing only about a foot away from his body, allowing her to catch a whiff of his smell; that of a forest full of pine trees.
 
“Well?” She asked softly, almost hesitantly.
 
Feeling nervous due to the way she was looking at him, Inuyasha shrugged and returned once more to his gruff demeanor. “Well what?”
 
Kagome didn't even falter, used to his behavior by now. “What did you think of the concert?”
 
“Keh,” He shrugged, “It was okay, but I'm not exactly the right person to ask. I've never been someone who enjoys music all that much, after all.”
 
Kagome felt her heart break slightly, and she fiercely fought back the tears of hurt threatening to spill out the corners of her eyes. After all, it was her fault she had expected any sort of kind words from him in the first place. “I see…”
 
Inuyasha wanted to kick himself the moment the words left his mouth and he saw her face pale as though she had been kicked in the gut. Why the hell did he always have to do that? Why did he always have to make her feel so lowly, and so useless?
 
She turned to walk away, and he, feeling desperate, put a hand on her shoulder, feeling her body shiver in response. “Kagome?”
 
Turning around, she eyed him carefully. “Yes Inuyasha?”
 
He swallowed, trying to gather the courage to say something productive, rather then something typical of him…something stupid. “You played like an angel tonight.”
 
She remained silent for so long that he thought he'd said something wrong, but then, at the last moment, her face broke out into a beaming smile, and before he knew what was happening he felt her lunge against him, wrapping her arms around his neck and burying her face in his chest, paying no mind to any possible prying eyes. “Oh Inuyasha, did you mean that?”
 
“I…” Now he just felt embarrassed. And yet, he had to admit he liked the feel of her supple body against his, her hair just under his nose, giving him an ample amount of that wonderful smell…the smell of rose petals, just like his mother. “Yes, Kagome,” He answered honestly, “I meant every word.”