InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Lies of the Heart ❯ The Truth Revealed ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Lies of the Heart

Anubis_Himura

-_o

"I'll never forgive you! Don't let me go!"

Inuyasha awoke with a start. The room was dark, and only the sound of distant field mice on the hunt scattered his brain. He had been having the same dream for months. Ever since . . .

"God! Stupid Miko! She was just a stupid jewel detector! Nothing more!" he wiped the cold sweat from his brow. He needed to be alone.

"Inuyasha, darling where are you going?" Inuyasha removed the hand that had stopped him from leaving the bed.

"Just to the hot springs Kikyou. I'll be back soon. Go back to sleep."

"Okay dear. Don't be long." Kikyou rolled over and continued sleeping.

Inuyasha did not go to the hot springs. Instead, he went to his favorite tree, where he would sit and think for many, many hours. Even when the Miko had been around, Inuyasha would sit at this tree; often watching her with the others below. He didn't know why he had been having the same dream for months. It wasn't relative to anything in his life. It was always the same.

Kagome was hanging from the mouth of the well, Inuyasha hanging on to one of her hands, while she struggled to pull herself up. She would be screaming at him to not drop her. She panicked that she didn't want to go back through the well. Then, he would laugh maliciously and drop Kagome into the depths, calling her a 'Stupid Miko'. Then, he would wake up, quite uncomfortably, in his own bed, next to Kikyou.

"Why am I thinking about you Kagome? After all this time?"

~*~

"Quit fooling around Matsuya!" Kagome scolded the child and consulted the shopping list again. "Ramen." she rolled her eyes and moved down the isle. "Mat! I'm going to leave you here!" she called sweetly.

"Mommy!" he complained loudly. "I was just playin'!"

"I know you were just playing, but for the love of god!"

"I'm gonna be a sword master! Just like my daddy!" he said proudly, putting his plastic sword back in the shopping cart.

"What makes you think that your daddy was a 'sword master'?" she asked distractedly.

"Only because I know it." the little boy shrugged. "I can just feel it."

"Your daddy was a shmuck." Kagome whispered as she crossed another item off the list.

"Hello Ms. Higarashi." Hatsumi looked up at Kagome and smiled innocently. "Hello Matsuya-Chan." she bowed slightly.

"Hi." Mat responded coldly.

"Matsuya! Show some more respect please. Hello Hatsumi-Chan, it’s lovely to see you again. Hello Mrs. Kenocen." Kagome bowed to the mother of the young child.

"Hello Kagome, Matsuya."

"I'm sorry," Kagome spoke up when Mat said nothing. "He hasn't had a nap today, he's a little cranky."

"Well, we won’t keep you. Just confirming, it is your turn tomorrow to watch the children." she looked skeptically at Kagome. "I trust you haven't forgotten. Being so busy as a single mother."

"Oh, of course. I'm looking forward to it." she smiled widely until Mrs. Kenocen left and then her smile quickly turned in to a look of annoyance. "I trust you haven't forgotten." Kagome muttered mockingly. "Bitch."

"Mommy cursed." Mat looked up, smiling a toothy smile.

"No I didn't." Kagome denied, debating on which type of bread to buy.

"Hearing mom." Mat pointed to his very normal, none demonic ears. "I can hear super well. Remember?"

"You know you really need to cut back on that attitude of yours." Kagome rolled her eyes and moved toward the check out counter.

~*~

"Mommy," Mat had calmed down a lot since the grocery store, and was now sitting quietly on the living room floor. "Why can't I be a swordsman?"

"I never said you couldn't sweetie. I just wanted to know what made you think that your daddy was one."

"You have his sword." he looked on top of the fireplace. "Both of them."

Kagome looked up at the fireplace and saw the swords. It was true. Matsuya's father had been an expert swordsman. Better than any other. He was also so very kind, and gentle, despite how much he tried to hide it. "Mat, I thought we agreed -"

"No! You agreed. You didn't want to talk about daddy ever! I want to! I don't know who he is or why I can't see him!"

"It's complicated and you aren't old enough to hear it yet." Kagome persisted. They had had this conversation before; and it usually ended with Matsuya crying in his room for the night.

"But . . . what's so hard to understand? Didn't daddy love me? Didn't he love you Mommy?" Kagome closed her eyes, trying not to look at her son.

"I don't think so sweetie. But he didn't know about you. Don't think that anything is against you my sweetie. If daddy knew about you, I am sure he would have loved you."

"Well. I don't care if daddy knows about me or not! I'm going to be just like him! I'm going to be a master swordsman! And I'm going to name my sword, just like daddy named his! Hmm . . . I'll call it . . . Tetsusaiga!"

Kagome's eyes swelled up and her breathing became irregular. "Where did you get that name?"

"I don't know. It just sort of came into my head. I don't know where it came from. Should it be important?"

"Uh . . . no." Kagome smiled slightly and stood up, preparing to go into the kitchen and make dinner.

"Mommy, what are the names of daddy’s swords?"

Kagome looked reminiscent for a second. "Toujikin, and Tenseiga”

“And one can give life back can’t it?” Matsuya asked, becoming excited. This was the only thing that Kagome would tell him about his father.

“Yes.” She continued to look at the swords thinking memories she shouldn’t be thinking, of a life she wasn’t sure she ever lived.

So many nights she went to bed, thinking it has all been a crazy and wonderful dream; waking, only to see the little boy that proved her delusional. She loved Matsuya with all her heart; but she could never tell anybody just who his father was. She couldn’t bare the thought of her own betrayal. She had loved his father, with all of her heart, and now, as she sat on the sofa, lying to her child again she felt tears in her eyes. She could never tell him the truth, and she could never free herself of his memory. The memory that plagued her at night . . . the memory that haunted her every thought, and fantasy. Try as she may, no man would ever be as wonderful and perfect, in her eyes, as Matsuya’s father.

She stopped the tears from flowing, by distracting herself with preparations for dinner.

“Mommy,” Matsuya said, “Why are you crying?”

He was standing beside her in the kitchen, his gorgeous amber eyes melting her heart.

“Mommy’s not feeling well right now.” She said, not wanting to explain the deep ocean of lies that her heart contained.

“Don’t cry Mommy. I don’t like the smell of your sadness.”

Kagome hugged her son and forced the tears to stop. Willed her happiness, if only for her son’s sake. “I’m sorry Mat. I’ll try harder okay?”

“I love you Mommy. Even if Daddy didn’t.” Kagome smiled bitterly and continued hugging her son.

**

“Inuyasha, come down from there.” Kikyou called again. It was nearing sundown and he hadn’t left the tree since morning.

He didn’t respond to her. He hadn’t responded to her all day. He wanted to get Kagome out of his head, and move on with his life. But he couldn’t . . .

Every time he thought he’d finally found the cure to getting rid of her, there she was again. And there was . . . Inuyasha couldn’t even speak his name . . . it hurt too much

**

“Thank you Mrs. O’Brian.” Kagome smiled as Mrs. O’Brian dropped off her daughter Tam. “Have a lovely day.”

“Now kids,” Kagome began, looking at the seven under ten year olds, each of which were staring up at her expectantly. “We’re going to start off with some arts and crafts. How does that sound?” The kids went crazy and jumped up and down.

The doorbell rang and Matsuya jumped up from the table. “Mommy! Mommy can I answer it?”

“Okay, but be careful Honey.” Kagome said, helping Yuki cut out his picture.

“I will!”

Kagome finished cutting out the picture and helped Yuki position it on the paper when Matsuya came into the room. “It’s for you.” Kagome smiled and looked to Yuki, “I’ll be right back okay?” he nodded and Kagome went into the entrance hall.

“Thank you Mat.” She said as she went to the party ajar door. She looked at the man standing in the door way and nearly fell over from shock. “Kouga?” she asked, immediately wishing the words were sucked back into her mouth. It couldn’t be Kouga. He lived over five hundred years ago. “Sorry,” she muttered, “Thought you were someone else.”

“It’s okay.” The man smiled. His voice, his hair, everything was exactly like the wolf demon that had taunted Inuyasha (Yet had been so helpful in the defeat of Naraku). “I just came by to bring my son Israel. I’m sorry he’s late.”

“Oh, that’s okay.” Kagome smiled allowing the little boy to walk into the house.

“I’ll be by to get him around six. Is that too late?”

“Not at all.”

“Great. Thanks so much.” He smiled a dashing smile and took off toward the elevator at the end of the hall.

“Hello Israel,” Kagome said kindly.

“Hi.” He said back.

“How are you?” she asked.

“Good.”

“That’s good.” She smiled and led him into the living room. “We were just enjoying some arts and crafts time. Would you like to join?”

“No.” he said flatly. “Cool swords.”

“They were my Daddy’s.” Mat said from the table.

“Cool.” Israel looked away from the swords and to Mat. “What was your daddy like?”

“Oh, he was the coolest . . .”

**

Inuyasha finally came down from his tree around nine that night, judging by the moon. He went into the hut and looked at Kikyou. She fixed him with an icy glare (more icy than usual), before taking off the outer layer of her clothing and going to bed.

“Kikyou,” Inuyasha began, about to explain his behavior, then he decided he didn’t give a shit. “Never mind.”

Inuyasha lay down on the bed next to Kikyou and tried to sleep. It wasn’t long before visions of Kagome flashed through his head, and his mind whirled with memories of her smile . . . her beauty . . . her laughter . . . her kindness . . . and then a bitter wince crossed Inuyasha’s sleeping features. Thoughts of his betrayal flashed across his mind in his sleep, thoughts of her betrayal echoed in their wake. He woke up with a cold sweat beading down his face. He couldn’t stand it anymore. He had to see her.

**

The doorbell rang and Kagome knew exactly who it was. It was the strange man from earlier, coming to pick up Israel. Kagome hadn’t caught the man’s name, but her heart told her he was a reincarnation of Kouga.

“Hello Sir.” She smiled sweetly, Israel at her side.

“Hello Ma’am. May I come in for a minute?” he asked, looking around the hallway, as though expecting something.

“Sure.” Kagome stepped aside and let the man in. “Can I get you a glass of water or anything?”

“No thank you Kagome.” Kagome offered him a chair and he sat down. Kagome wondered when she had let slip her name. Then she assumed he had got it from the housing director.

“I wanted to know, how you knew.” He said quietly. Mat and Israel had taken to playing again.

“Knew?”

“That it was me? I mean, I should have guessed. You are a Miko, and such an intelligent girl, but I’ve concealed it a bit haven’t I?” he asked, still talking in hushed tones.

The light went on and Kagome said stupidly. “Kouga?”

“Yes. How did you know? It must just be your Miko energy right?”

“I . . . I don’t know . . . you just reminded me so much of . . . is it really?” Kagome felt tears in her eyes as Kouga nodded. She smiled brightly and hugged him. “I’ve missed you all so much! I can’t believe you’re still alive! Of course, you were young when I knew you. Oh, this makes me so happy!” she finally released him.

“I’m so happy I’ve found you. This is wonderful.” He said, smiling to her.

There was a moment of silence before Kagome said, “And . . . the others?” she felt awkward asking, but she had no choice.

Kouga kept his head down and Kagome knew. “I’m sorry,” he said quickly. “Well, Sango and Miroku of course were human . . . you couldn’t expect them to . . .”

“Yeah I know.” Kagome said, thinking that she shouldn’t have gotten her hopes up.

“And well . . . Inuyasha . . .”

“What? What happened to him? Did he end up with Kikyou when I brought her back? Did they live happily together? Did they have children?”

Kouga shook his head. “They lived together for years . . . but, she never produced an heir, and then one day Inuyasha just . . . disappeared.” Kouga sighed smiled reminiscently. “You loved the Mutt didn’t you?” he asked.

Kagome sighed and closed her eyes, visions of her betrayal flashing through her mind. “More than life itself.” She said calmly. “What about Sesshomaru?”

“He died in battle.” Kouga said casually. He, of course, had no idea of Kagome’s inner turmoil.

“When?”

“A hundred years or so after you left us. It was a fierce struggle and he put up a good fight, but, in the end, he just couldn’t win.”

Kagome sighed and nodded, showing she had listened to the information. “What about Shippo?”

“That little guy? Yeah he’s around here somewhere, not sure where though. He’s grown so much it’s hard to tell who he is anymore.” Kouga smiled. “If I see him though, I’ll send your love.”

“Please do.” Kagome smiled.

Mat and Israel came back into the room. “Well, we’d better be off little man.” Kouga ruffled Israel’s hair and stood up. “Thank you for your hospitality Kagome-Chan.” He smiled. “If you don’t mind I’d like to see you again sometime.”

“Sounds wonderful. Oh, before I forget, Matsuya this is Kouga-Kun. Kouga, this is my son Matsuya.”

“It’s great to meet you Matsuya.” Kouga said, extending his hand.

“The pleasure is mine Kouga-Kun.” Matsuya said, shaking Kouga’s extended hand.

“He’s cute.” Kouga said. “Inuyasha would have been proud.” He added to Kagome.

Kagome’s mouthed open in a gasp and she nodded her appreciation.

“I’ll see you soon Kags.” He hugged her and then Israel and him took off.

“Inuyasha? Who’s that was mommy.”

Kagome didn’t have the strength to answer.

“Did he know daddy?” Mat pressed on. “Who was he Mommy?”

**

Inuyasha stood up and walked to the door; turning to watch the sleeping Kikyou. She rolled over in her sleep and made a soft girlish snore. Inuyasha sighed and left the room.

He had to see Kagome, even if it as only for a little while. He had to talk to her. Things ended badly, and he couldn’t deal with that.

He went into the forest and ran to the well. “Hope this thing still works.” He muttered as he jumped in.

A light surrounded him and he felt his heart leap. He then became worried. What would he find on the other side? He hadn’t been to Kagome’s time in nearly seven years. What would happen once he got there?

He jumped out of the well and looked at the familiar shrine. Not much had changed on the ground, and that was comforting. He didn’t smell Kagome. Her scent barely lingered on the air, as though she didn’t live there, but only visited . . . and rarely. He figured he shouldn’t have guessed she would live here still. He tried to pick up her scent, but it was useless. The faint scent led no where.

**

Kagome dropped Matsuya off at school and went to the dry cleaners. Her suit was ready and she needed it for court. Kagome was a lawyer, and not just any lawyer, a most successful one. She had only graduated from Law School a year before, and was already very well known and respected. Respected by all except those she housed with.

The housing complex she lived in were full of snotty people. They were stuck-up, rude, and arrogant. Kagome only lived there because it was in the district of the best school system; and Kagome would do anything for her son’s benefit. But now, she had dry cleaning to pick up, and an apartment to clean. Then she had court at three thirty. It hurt her that she couldn’t spend the afternoon with Mat, but he understood and said he would be thrilled to stay at Gammy’s house. (Matsuya’s nickname for Kagome’s mother). Gammy would pick him up after school and watch him until Kagome came to get him that night.

She pulled into the dry cleaners and ran inside, shocked to see Kouga in there.

“Hello Kagome,” he smiled. “Fancy meeting you here.”

“Hello Kouga. How are you today?” she smiled sweetly, smiling to the lady behind the counter.

“I’m doing very wonderfully actually. Yourself?”

“I’m doing good.” Kagome smiled unconvincingly to herself, but convincingly to any one else.

“That’s good.” Kouga paid the woman for his dry cleaning. “And how is Mat?”

“He’s good. Just dropped him off at school actually.”

“Oh yeah. Israel starts in a year.” Kouga said smiling. “Well, I hate to have to run so soon, but Ayame gets crazy when I’m late.” He was still smiling as he hugged Kagome. “’Bye then.” He said.

“Bye Kouga. Nice seeing you again.”

“You too.”

“Hello Ms. Higarashi.” The woman said. “Just the two?” she asked, handing Kagome the two outfits.

“Yeah.” She smiled.

Kagome paid the woman and left. She looked at her watch and drove toward home.

“Hello Ms. Higarashi.” A woman said. Kagome recognized her vaguely as a woman from the complex.

“Hello.” She smiled sweetly.

“A man was looking for you.” She said.

“A man? Who?”

“He didn’t leave a name.”

“Couldn’t have been too important then.” Kagome said, more to herself. “What did he look like?”

“He had startling yellow eyes, I thought they were contacts . . . and he had long silvery hair, over which he wore a blue baseball cap. I don’t think he was from around here. His clothes were bizarre.” Kagome dropped her dry cleaning. “Dear, are you all right?” the lady asked.

“Umm,” Kagome scrambled to pick up the suits. “Yes. I’m sorry . . . he must have meant someone else. I don’t know who he is.” Her smile wavered slightly as she bowed. “Thank you though. Good day.”

Kagome got into her apartment and closed the door, leaning against it for support. She was short of breath and her eyes were closed. “It couldn’t have been. Kouga said he disappeared. Besides, he wouldn’t look for me. It’s a mistake. It has to be.” Kagome shook her head. “Get a grip.” She commanded. “You have cleaning to do before court. Just forget it.”

**

Inuyasha walked around the town, sniffing for Kagome’s scent but it was useless. He kept getting curious glances and sniggers as he walked by. Then he remembered, in this time he needed to hide who he was. He growled and took a baseball cap off a kids head as he walked by. It wasn’t the most comfortable thing in the world, but now perhaps, people would stop pointing at him behind his back.

He continued walking around, looking for Kagome, or trying to sense her, when another smell assaulted his nose. He tensed as he followed the trail. It was the wolf. But why was the wolf here?

“Kouga!” Inuyasha said as he came upon the wolf.

“Inuyasha?” He asked. “But . . . what? How? Where?” He didn’t seem to know which question to ask first. “You disappeared.

“I didn’t disappear.” He said, shaking off the ridiculous comment. “Where’s Kagome?” he asked, ignoring Kouga’s look of horror. He sniffed, taking in the scent of Kouga. A second scent mingled with it. Kagome’s scent. “You’ve seen her! Her scent is all over you! Where is she?” he demanded, pointing his finger at Kouga.

“She lives in the housing complex by me. I’ll show you. But I won’t tell you which apartment.” He said firmly.

“Fine.” He could pick up the scent easy enough once he was there anyway.

“Fine.”

Inuyasha followed Kouga in his car. Inuyasha was quite curious about a lot of things. For example, why, when he hit the little button on the door the locks clicked into place.

“Power locks Inuyasha.” Kouga said, watching Inuyasha with a small smile.

“So, when did you learn to drive wolf boy?” Inuyasha asked.

“About eighty years ago, when they first made them.” Kouga said.

“So . . . you’ve just been alive? You haven’t skipped ahead?”

“Nope. I lived through all of these passed years.” Kouga said, taking a sharp right turn. “I take it then, that you skipped up?”

“Yeah.” Inuyasha said, playing with the buttons on the radio.

“Use the presets Yash. Presets.”

“Whatever.” Inuyasha stopped the radio on a very loud song, with a lot of bass. Kouga nodded to the beat and looked at Inuyasha. “Good choice.” He said, turning up the radio. “Whatever.” Inuyasha said again.

“Okay. She lives around here.” Kouga said, parking in front of a large housing complex.

“Okay.” Inuyasha got out of the car. He turned back to Kouga . . . scrunched up his face and opened his mouth to say ‘Thank you’.

“Your welcome.” Kouga said before Inuyasha had a chance to say anything.

“Yeah, well, it’s not like I owe you or anything.” Inuyasha said quickly.

“No. Never.” Kouga drove off.

Inuyasha followed Kagome’s scent to a door at the far end of the hall on the third floor. He knocked violently on the door and waited. When he received no answer, he continued knocking.

“Can I help you?” a woman said from behind him.

“Umm,” he didn’t recognize this woman, but she didn’t look like she took any crap from anyone. “Is Kagome around?” he asked.

“No. Ms. Higarashi is out at the moment. I believe she said something about dropping Matsuya-Kun off and then heading off for errands.” The woman said, her voice softening slightly.

“Oh. Okay.” He decided he better leave so the woman didn’t call the authorities. “Thanks.” He muttered as he took off down the hall.

He settled himself in a tree at the park and decided to wait. He could see her complex from his spot, not that he could tell who was who from the distance he was at. But he waited just the same.

“Who’s Matsuya?”

**

Kagome finished unloading the dishwasher and looked at the time. She was going to be late if she didn’t hurry. She went to the bathroom and took a shower. Then changed into a black knee length skirt and her business top. It was a respectable outfit, and her favorite for larger trials. She still wasn’t a famous lawyer, that did Supreme Court cases, but she was very well known throughout the county.

She grabbed her briefcase, and reviewed the files quickly before tucking all of her evidence away and leaving the apartment.

She got into her Expedition and made sure she had everything. She was feeling very scattered brained since Ms. What’s-her-name told her that someone was looking for her. She kept telling herself it couldn’t have been Inuyasha that was looking for her, but she didn’t believe her lies.

She was certain everything was in order, and she drove off toward the courthouse.

**

Inuyasha had decided to go back to the shrine and wait for her. Maybe, she would come by and visit. She had always got on with her mother and grandfather really well, and he saw no reason that she wouldn’t visit.

He went to the ‘God’s Tree’ and sat in a high branch; a branch that overlooked Kagome’s window, and he could still see the road.

He waited.

**

Kagome got out of court that day, feeling exhausted and happy. She had won the case, but it wasn’t easy. The opposing lawyer was very good at his job. However, a piece of illegally obtained evidence ended the case in Kagome’s clients’ favor.

She let her hair down out of the high bun it was in, and shook her locks loose. Her hair was still damp from her shower and it made her shiver as it touched her neck.

She drove to her mother’s house and stepped out onto the grounds. She inhaled the scent of the woods behind the shrine. She loved the scent of pine and earth. It reminded her of her late teenage years in the feudal era. She sighed, partially with sadness, partially with content.

Kagome walked up the steps to the main house and opened the door. “Hello!” She called in a sing song voice.

“Mommy!” Kagome heard Matsuya’s voice call from the backyard.

Kagome went out the back door and into the backyard. She smiled when she saw her son waving to her. “Hi Mat.” She smiled and waved back.

“I met a new friend today!” He said excitedly.

“Really?” Kagome said, hugging her son. “Where? At school?”

“Nope. At Gammy’s.” he said smiling.

“Really?” Kagome said smiling back at him. Kids had such great imaginations. No one lived around the shrine, and it was very unlikely that Mat had met a real person. “What’s their name?”

“His name is Inuyasha.” Mat said matter-of-factly.

Kagome stood back, looking at her son as though he had grown a second head. “Why would you say that name?” she demanded, her voice becoming harsh.

“Because . . . that’s what he told me his name was.” Mat stated, ignoring is mother’s harsh voice.

“You heard that name from Kouga? Well, just forget it. Make up a new name for your imaginary friend.” She ordered. “Where’s your grandmother?”

“Gammy went to the store. Grampy is watching me, but he’s sleeping.” Mat pointed over to the back porch. Kagome had completely missed her grandfather sleeping on one of the wicker chairs. “Do you want to meet Inuyasha?”

Kagome released a sigh. She supposed it couldn’t hurt if he liked the name. She gave a tiny smile. “Sure.” She said.

“It’s okay Inuyasha.” Mat yelled over his shoulder, toward ‘The Gods Tree’. “You can come out now.”

**

Inuyasha sat in the tree for a few hours, before he heard noises. He recognized the scent of Mrs. Higarashi and smiled at the times he remembered here. There was another scent on the air. Almost like Kagome, but almost like himself. He shrugged and continued waiting.

Another twenty minutes went by when the smell that confused him came outside again. He was playing in the back yard. Inuyasha looked down at the boy. He didn’t stand out in anyway. He had fairly long hair for a boy of seven, it was jet black and unruly. He was fairly taller than most seven-year-olds, but still not anything that stood out. Inuyasha was almost positive that, that boy had demon blood in him though.

Inuyasha jumped down from the tree, once Mrs. Higarashi was out of sight, to investigate the child closer. He got as close as he could, without being seen, and inhaled deeply. The scent was unmistakable and he felt his heart tighten in his chest.

“Who’s there?” Mat asked, looking around. “I know you’re there! I can hear better than any seven year old out there! Who are you?” Mat was positive there was someone watching him.

“Hi.” Inuyasha came out from behind a tree.

“You look familiar.” Mat said to the man.

“You do too.” Inuyasha said. Truth be told, there was no mistaking those startling onyx eyes.

“What’s your name?” Mat asked, loosing his harshness.

“Inuyasha.” Mat looked at him curiously. “What’s yours?”

“My name is Matsuya.” He said proudly. “My mommy knows you.”

“She does?” Inuyasha didn’t see why this concerned him. But his subconscious knew exactly why this concerned him.

“Yep. But she wouldn’t tell me how she knew you. I think you know my daddy.”

“Your daddy?” Inuyasha looked confused. The scent was the same as his own, and it was mixed with Kagomes’, so why would the child think his father was any other?

“Yep. My daddy was a great swordsman.” Mat said even more proudly then when he revealed his name. “His name was Sesshomaru.”

Inuyasha’s anger rose, and he fought it down so as not to scare the child. There was no way Kagome would lie this extremely. This child was his. Why would Kagome lie?

“I hear mommy!” Mat said excitedly. “Do you want to meet Mommy?”

“Sure. But I’m going to play for a minute. You just tell me when I can come out okay?”

Mat looked confused, but shrugged. “Okay. I’ll tell Mommy I met a new friend, and then I’ll have you come out.”

“Okay.” Inuyasha went back up into the tree.

**

Kagome watched a flash of red seemingly fall from the sky. Kagome closed her eyes, and tried to shove the images from her brain. But no matter how hard she tried, they were there, screaming at her to open her eyes and face him. She did so and gasped. He was inches from her. She felt her knees buckle and her strength waver.

“Mommy, this is Inuyasha. My new friend. I think he knows Daddy.” Mat said, his natural smile never fading.

“Inuyasha.” Kagome let out as a whisper. A struggle for breath, more than a word.

“Kagome.” He whispered back.

She cried and her body gave out. Inuyasha caught her in his arms and held her close to him. Kagome was crying and couldn’t stand the thought of being in Inuyasha’s arms. She hated him for what he did, and worse, she hated herself.

“Inuyasha,” she said again, more audibly this time.

“Mommy, so how do you know Inuyasha?” Mat asked impatiently, apparently he had been waiting for a few minutes for the question to be answered. “Did he know daddy?”

“He is your daddy.” She fell out of Inuyasha’s arms and to the ground, sobbing harder than she had ever sobbed.

Inuyasha’s eyes widened at the confirmed truth. He picked up Kagome and carried her through the window to her old room. Her bed still lay to the left of the window and her desk still to the right. It was a lot emptier now though, less warm and cozy. He set her down on the bed and she continued crying. He went down to the backyard and got Mat before climbing back through the window and sitting on the bed.

“Kagome, we have to talk.” He said. She nodded.

“I . . . I didn’t tell him.” She said. “I didn’t tell Sesshomaru that I was yours.” She cried harder the more she spoke. “I just wanted to get back at you . . . so badly.” She stopped trying to wipe the tears away and allowed her face to become soaked, her tears leaking down her chin on onto her neck.

“Kagome . . . it’s just as much my fault as it is yours.” Inuyasha held her head close to his heart and breathed in her scent. He hated when it was spiked with depression. “I was so willing to believe that Kikyou and I were meant for each other, I didn’t see what was in front of me the whole time. When I finally did, I blew it. I’m so sorry.”

Kagome had only heard Inuyasha say those words to her. She almost smiled. “I was just so jealous. I went to him because I knew you would hate it . . . and then I . . .”

“I know Kagome. I know.” He stroked her back soothingly.

“After that I couldn’t face you. I knew my jealousy was stupid, and that I had done something even more stupid by running off with Sesshomaru.” Kagome pulled out of Inuyasha’s grip and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. “I’m sorry Inuyasha. I am so sorry. But that’s why I left you that day. That’s why I used the jewel to wish Kikyou back to life. So that you could be with her. So that you would forget my betrayal. What happened?”

“Kikyou and I aren’t meant to be together Kagome. I thought we were because she was my first love. But it doesn’t work like that. I’m meant to be with you Kagome. I know that.” He brushed a tear away from her cheek and continued. “I’ve been having dreams about you. It’s always the same. You’re hanging from the well, and you tell me you’ll never forgive me if I let go. So, I let go and laugh. I laugh maniacally and Kikyou is there. I wake up in a cold sweat. I’ve been having this dream for months. After all this time.” He shook his head.

“Why didn’t Sesshomaru say anything?” Kagome asked. “He must have known I was already pregnant. I know you demons can tell things like that.”

“I don’t know why he didn’t say anything.” Inuyasha admitted.

“He gave me his swords. Told me to give them to my son from him.” Kagome looked confused. “Did he not care that I was already pregnant, or was he thinking that I would have his heir?”

“I don’t know.” He repeated, feeling useless.

“Mommy?” Matsuya asked, breaking a short silence. “I thought you said that Sesshomaru was my daddy.” Kagome shook her head in the negative. “No Mat. I’m so sorry. I lied to you. I was afraid that if you knew who your real father was he’d somehow find you. I didn’t want to ever see him again, because I felt so horrible. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have lied to you. Sesshomaru, was Inuyasha’s half-brother.” Kagome turned to Inuyasha, “And I’m sorry I didn’t want to see you again. I just couldn’t stand it.”

“I understand.” Inuyasha said comfortingly. “It took all the courage I could gather to come and see you today.” He held her closely.

“Where’s Kikyou?” she asked.

“Back in the Feudal Era. I didn’t tell her where I was going. It’s not important. I’m staying here.” He said flatly.

“You can’t.” Kagome stood up. “I couldn’t ask you too . . . besides . . . I made the wish so that you could be with somebody.”

“Yes. But now you’re not with anybody. And I have to take care of my son. Besides,” he stood up beside her, taking her hand in his. “I love you.”

“I can’t live with what I did to you Inuyasha.” Kagome sniffled, feeling that her crying was disrespectful. She shouldn’t be crying to him, over her own mistakes.

“And I can’t live with what I’ve done to you Kagome. For so many years, I treated you like garbage. And even now, years later, I’ve screwed up. I can’t stand myself Kagome. I want to spend my life, trying to make it up to you.”

“Inuyasha-”

“Mommy,” Matsuya interrupted. “Do I get to have a daddy now?”

Kagome shook her head, trying desperately to compose herself. “I’m sorry Inuyasha. I just can’t. We’ve made too many mistakes. Both of us.”

“What would life be without mistakes?” he asked rhetorically. “Besides, we realize them now, so what’s the problem?”

“It’s too late”

“It’s never too late.” Inuyasha argued.

“You can’t just stay here.” Kagome said. “What about your time? Kikyou? You have a life there.”

“It doesn’t matter. Only you and Matsuya matter.”

“Yash . . . I”

“Shh . . . don’t think.” He kissed her lips and she melted. She had missed him so much. She felt her knees weaken, and Inuyasha lifted her up into the air. She smiled and began crying.

“Yash you can’t do this.”

“You wished on the Shikon for me to be happy. Now I have a chance to be.”

She smiled and nodded her head. “You got me there.”

“I love you.”

Kagome smiled. “And I love you.”

**

I’m not sure if I’m a hundred percent happy with it. :-/ I like it, but I don’t know. Haha. Leave me one!

Love Anubis