InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Life to My Soul ❯ It's Not Enough ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A dog demon sniffed the air outside Kaede's hut. It had been hours since Kagome fled. Night had fallen, and the gang was worried.

Earlier
made his way toward the door. "Inuyasha, stop. Let her be for awhile." Kaede's voice beckoned. Inuyasha turned and stared at everyone. His face was a mask, solemn and expressionless. Had he stopped breathing, he would've looked like a statue, stiff and unfeeling. But the golden pools that were his eyes said a different story altogether, as Sango observed. He's lost and confused . . . like a little boy . . . oh Kagome, don't leave him now . . . he needs you . . .
me, Inuyasha, do ye still plan on becoming a full demon?" Kaede asked. Inuyasha's eyes turned at the sound of the old woman's voice, but his eyes focused on nothing.
Inuyasha, Kagome's life rests in your hands. If use the jewel to become a full demon, you will have sealed her fate," Myouga warned. Inuyasha remained silent.
can't let her die! You just can't!" Shippou cried.
watched the whole ordeal, then glanced at Inuyasha. This whole thing is just too much for him . . . if they don't stop who knows what he'll do . . . I guess it's up to me . . .
it! All of you!" Sango scolded. "Can't you see the pain Inuyasha's going through? This whole thing is jus--" she stopped as she saw Inuyasha trembling.
Miroku called his name gently.
don't know . . . " Inuyasha whispered to no one in particular.
that? What did you say?" Miroku gently prodded.
DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!" Inuyasha yelled, his hands shaking. "I'm caught in the middle! All of you say protect Kagome, but Kagome says become a full demon." His lips quivered at his words. "I just don't know . . . " He searched the room for a source of comfort among the looks of shock and distress. He found it in Sango. The young woman's eyes looked into his with a kind of warmth and understanding . . . Her eyes are like Mother's . . . "Inuyasha, we're your friends. We'll stand behind you no matter what you do, and I'm sure Kagome will too."

Present Time
managed to persuade Inuyasha to not look for Kagome quite yet. "She needs time to think," Sango told him. When Inuyasha argued that a demon might come after her and the Jewel, Miroku reminded him that she was in fact a miko, and not exactly helpless. He pointed to a corner where her yellow backpack sat, and Inuyasha noticed her arrows and bow were missing. "She's a smart girl, that Kagome," smiled Kaede.
hour passed . . . then another . . . and another . . . and another. Everyone began to worry. No one had left the hut, thinking they would scare Kagome away once more if she saw them soliciting outside. Inuyasha became impatient, and without a word walked outside to see if she was near. That's when he saw it.

Her bow and arrows . . . she didn't take them.
were propped up by the side of the hut. The hanyou quickly ran back inside to alert the others. Sango jumped up, calling Kirara to scope out the area from the air. Shippou and Miroku made their way to Goshinboku then the Bone Eater's Well, thinking she might've went that way. Kaede and Myouga were to stay inside the hut, in case she came back.

Her scent is faint . . . but recognizable. Inuyasha sniffed once again, discovering a new clue. She went east . . . but she never goes to the east side of the village . . . there's nothing but cliffs and rock . . . His eyes widened. Shit! She wouldn't . . . would she?!?! Inuyasha ran into the night, his mind in a blur. Please . . . don't let me be too late . . . Kagome!


awoke in a pool of sweat. Someone called my name . . . but no one's here. She looked around her. Kami! It's night already? The others must be worried . . .

Earlier
she had fled the hut afternoon, she had run blindly. She wasn't surprised to find herself in front of Goshinboku, it was, after all, where all her memories laid. Kagome needed time to think, but she knew that this time it wasn't going to be under this tree. I need to go somewhere where no one will find me . . . somewhere I can clear my head. She thought for a moment, then an idea popped into her head. Of course . . . the cliffs on the east side of the village! I never go there, so no one will look for me . . . She had taken the long route, going a mile around the hut, just in case Inuyasha picked up on her scent and followed her.
the cliffs, she found a small cave a few feet down. She climbed down carefully, and inspected it. It's small . . . but there seems to be a tunnel down there . . . maybe it was a mine or something. Kagome ignored the tunnel, and settled down near the entrance. As she stared at the view before her, she couldn't help but reminisce the times Inuyasha and her spent together.

. . .when he gave me his fire-rat robe when we faced Yuka of the Hair . . . he thought I died against the Thunderbrothers . . . I discovered the connection between him and tessaiga . . . he never left my side when I was placed under the curse by Tsubaki . . . he conjured up some magic soup when I was sick that cured me the next day . . . when he ran into my room naked . . . when he hugged me then pushed me down the well . . . he showed me how to get back to this time when the Menomaru tried to take over . . . when I kissed him to prevent him from changing into a full demon . . .
choked back her tears. We've been through so much . . . She brushed away a tear that rolled down her cheek. I shed so many tears for his sake . . . once he almost shed tears for us . . . Kami, I love him so much . . . but he can't love me back . . . not yet anyway . . .
turned her face to the sky. Even if I am Kikyou's reincarnate . . . I'm not her . . . I don't have to make the same mistakes she did . . . and I don't have to live her life . . . she wanted Inuyasha to become human so it wouldn't seem so awkward for her . . . but nothing was wrong with Inuyasha . . . Inuyasha . . .
young miko's heart flipped at the thought of him. If I had my way, I would keep Inuyasha a hanyou . . . he's perfect the way he is . . . he's already strong with tessaiga . . . but all those years of taunting and being shunned . . . just because he wasn't a full race . . . just because he was different . . . Sesshoumaru hates him . . . Kouga hates him . . . it seems like every demon we've come across hates him just because he's a hanyou . . . I guess I can understand why he wants to become a full demon . . . She felt that sinking feeling again. I want him to be happy, even if it means forgetting about me . . . purifying the jewel? I don't want him to make such a sacrifice . . . if he becomes human just for that purpose, he would have to live the rest of his life knowing his life was wasted just so some wannabe miko can live in peace . . . no, I won't let him . . . he's been hurt enough . . . he deserves some happiness . . . I can protect myself and my family . . . I think . . .

She sighed. I broke the jewel . . . the least I can do is give it to him . . . can't love me yet huh? If he becomes full demon, he won't be able to love me . . . she groaned at her realization. He won't be able to love me . . . wait . . . what if he changes his mind? and he wants to become human? If I say . . . no, I can't. I'll be like Kikyou . . . oh Inuyasha . . . I'm so confused . . . I love you so much . . . tears began to roll down her face freely. isn't it enough that I love you as you are? a hanyou? . . . or are you far beyond my reach . . . Her body shook violently as she sobbed. My love can't reach you . . . my love isn't enough to erase all those horrible memories . . . only becoming a full demon can put your heart at rest . . . that's the only thing that can put your mind at ease . . . not me . . . not my love . . . Her thoughts stopped as she cried, sobbing until she was exhausted and fell asleep.

Present Time
stared into darkness of night. I'm still so confused . . . I know one thing though . . . I want Inuyasha to be happy . . . my love isn't enough . . . if happiness for him is becoming a full demon, then so be it . . . I will do everything in my power to see it come true . . . as for me . . . well, I'm a miko aren't I? I can take care of myself and keep the jewel away from harm . . . if things get out of hand, I'll move out of the shrine to keep Mom, Souta, and Grandpa safe . . . but can I really live without him? can a person live with a broken heart? She sighed, then pulled the Jewel out of her shirt. I'm your keeper . . . I'm suppose to protect you from evil . . . but who's going to protect me from myself? She touched the smooth surface. You're a part of me . . . in a way . . . if I give Inyasha this jewel . . . I'll be giving him a part of me . . . he'll always have a part of me to remind him that I want him to be happy . . . to remind him that . . . I love him . . . She smiled at the thought, and cupped the jewel in her hand. I know I'm going to do a miserable job of protecting you . . . my death's probably near already . . . but if I die knowing that a part of me is with Inuyasha . . . I guess it won't be so bad.

Kagome put the jewel back in her shirt, stood and stretched. Time to go back and face the music . . . wha-what?" The jewel inside her uniform began to omit a purple glow. A sudden chill filled the air, and a voice from the tunnel behind her hissed, "The Shikon Jewel . . . I must have the Shikon Jewel!" Oh no, I left my bow and arrows back at Kaede's!!! Kagome reluctantly turned slowly, finding a pair of flaming red eyes glaring at her.