InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The lost puppy ❯ 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pulling her tired body from the darkness and the abyss that was the well that separated her time and the feudal era. This puppy that she decided to save was becoming a rather bad thing for her sanity. First she saved it from a trap, then she saved it from killing Hojo, well kinda. Why did she ever save it? This kind of thing makes ones sanity fly out of the window. Sighing as the puppy leaped out of the well she couldn't help a few wayward thoughts that prodded her mind to the point of insanity. Was the thing just toying with her? Or was this some sick twisted mirage or something? Sighing as she pulled the rest of her body from the confines of the well, she allowed her shoulders to slump and her pace to slow, and her feet to drag as the thought of a yelling inu upset her and made her wonder on things in which were better left unthought. Pulling on her best smile, she thought that she might as well face the rage as maturely as she could. Walking into the village, she smiled at passers by, nodding to the people whom she knew.
Crossing the last of the expanse of the village, after passing the various merchants and people trying to sell her their wares. Of course, she paused to pull off her shoes and lift the curtain.
"Hey Kaede!" Kagome exclaimed happily.
She couldn't help the small sense of shock that washed over her as she came face to face with a very distraught hanyo. She just did the first thing that came to her mind, which, in this case was to grin sheepishly.
"Why Inuyasha, what in this great green, brown, and blue planet could possibly have you so peeved?" Kagome asked, one eyebrow cocked and a single hand propped on her hip.
She supposed that she might make a ridiculous scene, but to hell with it. The damn dogs in her life have already made her insane enough, what was a few more moments of this craziness, what more harm could it do? She smiled again at her wayward thoughts, yes, perhaps spending so long a time talking to herself has driven herself off of the proverbial deep end. Well perhaps this thought should just stop to begin with? Oh, wait, Inuyasha was talking again, but what did he say? Well, she supposed, just nodding her head and going 'hn' every now and again. Lord be with her and God speed. She was currently thinking about all the bad luck she had ever had.
'Okay lady luck, if there was ever a time to come through for me, now is most certainly the time to do so' Crossing her fingers she cut off Inuyasha, she spoke.
"Inuyasha... you see, as you and the rest of our strange group of friends are gone, I become lonely and depressed. Oh, a small friend that was eternally loyal, such as, oh I don't know, a dog. And imagine my good luck to have rescued a small demon puppy! Could you be persuaded to let me keep him? Please?" The last question was asked with a cute pout that usually got her what she wanted. A small quiver of her lip and a bite to her cheek and she looked on the verge of tears. Clasping her hands as if about to pray, she looked at her hanyo with wide doe eyes.
"No" Inuyasha said simply, turning as he crossed his arms, signaling that the subject was closed. He failed to notice that she was flabbergasted, her mouth agape for several reasons. The first of which was that he told her 'no'. How dare he? But the other reason was because he said it with no 'bitch' or 'wench' or even 'woman'. She had to admit that he had grown some in the past few months, and rarely fought with her anymore. But he didn't grow up that much, and he often still got mad at her for certain things, many akin to this.
'B-but Inuyasha, please? C'mon here! Sango gets to keep Kirara, and she is a cat! A cat! Can't I keep this little dog, I'll care for him, and ask for breaks less often! Please? How often do I ask you for stuff? I am little burden to bear, and this dog will make it easier on everyone. He can carry me and keep me out of harms way when you are unable to do so. He would do more help than harm." Kagome was desperately trying to avoid the option in which was coming more and more toward her favorite word. She shook her head as Inuyasha said 'no' to her again. Feeling the flame in her eyes that always arose whenever something like this happened.
"Inuyasha?" Her now sickly sweet voice called. Her nice and innocent facade was proving wonders, as the desired effect was caused. As always, his ears plastered to his head and his shoulders came inward as best as they could. "Are you sure I can't keep the pup?" Her voice rang in his ears as he answered without thought.
"No Kagome" He said as he was mentally slapping himself over the head.
Kagome felt the cruel smile surface on her lips as she parted them to ask once more. "Are you sure? I would advise you to change your mind..." Her still innocent voice rang.
Inuyasha thought about his options and for once gave in without a fight. Perhaps the dog can prove useful. "Fine" His irritated voice said as he walked to the nearest tree and jumped into it. Maybe, just maybe, her happy smile that graced her face for a brief moment was well worth it.
'Well' she thought happily ' That was one hard moment gone to the wind, now how many more await me?' She sighed happily as she picked up the puppy and placed him on his favorite perch.
"Next time tell me before I find out the hard way. I mean since you are a demon you will be healed by the marrow and you made me worry about you. Next time just open your mouth. And maybe next time you can save my time?"
She sighed as her only response was a yip and a sound that sounded suspiciously like "Hurry up lady. You were the one talking about burning daylight." and she couldn't help the small laugh that left her.