InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ The Mistake That Changed Everything ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons

Chapter One: The Mistake That Changed Everything

{Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, just as much as I do not own any of the teachers. They are real people and property of themselves.}

Authors Note: Okay, marching band had strongly influenced me in many ways. One example of that is this fic. Mr. O, the band teacher really is the way he is in here. I did not change him at all. In case you're a little iffy about reading a marching band fic, please don't let that make you turn away. You really don't need to know much and it's not one of the biggest things in the fic. Heck, it's not really even part of the plot. And no joke about the locker in here. It's mine from last year, I really had to do this or else I wouldn't get the blasted thing open. Quick warning, there is some bad language in here, so pregnant woman, those with a hart condition, or people who have just had major surgery should not read, lol, just kidding. Enjoy!

-Fame

~~*~=~*~=~*~~

"You're what?!" I winced as my idiot half brother screamed.

"Just as I said. I'm enrolling in your high school."

"Why for fucks sake?" I rolled my eyes and looked at him flatly.

"I wish to be balanced, well rounded if you will. Colleges look for these things. If I can show that I can work just as well in a public school as I do in a private school, that will be just another thing I can put on my transcript."

"You hate people, Fluffy. Public school's swarming with them, and not only that but idiots."

"I figured that out already. After all, you do go there." He growled and I just rolled my eyes.

"You're goin' to get your ass kicked."

"Not if I'm the one doing the kicking. Now go so I can finish getting ready. I wouldn't want to be late for the first day." I turned by back to him as he snorted and finished stuffing my binders, and the all-important flute into my backpack. By the time I had turned back around Inuyasha was gone and I was on my way out the door with my car keys in hand. I started my blue Jetta and drove off to my new school. I saw Inuyasha get on the bus and shook my head. He had a car, why he didn't drive it to school was beyond me.

My new school was called Western High School. They were the largest and richest high school in the county. The only other school that came close was Eastern High. I pulled into the student parking lot twenty minutes later. There weren't many cars there. Did everyone take the bus? I parked and entered the school.

The first thing I noticed was it was loud. I mean very loud. That was difference number two. Difference number one was the fact that there was no uniform. On the wall next to the door was a list of Homerooms. I looked at the list for my name…Gi-Hi…Ms. Sartwell's room. 300. So I was off. I walked up the stairs to the third floor and walked down the hall looking for room 300.

It wasn't long before I found it. I entered the room and sat down. The teacher wasn't in yet so I pulled out one of the many novels from my backpack and began reading. A bell rang and students started filing in. Once a second bell rang and the teacher walked in all the students sat down.

The teacher looked young, with curly brown hair. She smiled at us and looked around. "Good morning class! For those of you who don't know me, I'm Ms. Sartwell. I'm your homeroom teacher for this year. I teach regular and honors Matter and Energy." She walked over to her desk and picked up a stack of yellow paper. "I know how much you guys hate these, but they have to be filled out." She started passing the yellow papers out and I looked down at mine, they where four yellow cards. "Make sure you get these into your first period teacher by Friday."

Ms. Sartwell walked back over to her desk and picked up small white cards. "Fill out what you can while I pass out your schedules." I took a pen out from my backpack and began filling out the yellow cards. Father's name: Inutaisho Hibiki

Work Number: (798-) 367-876 ex. 564. I was about to write more when my last name was called. I raised my hand and my white card was placed in front of me.

I picked up the card and looked over it. AP English in the morning? I guess it could be worse. Worse as in Honors Calculus is right after it. I looked at the room number of my first period as the teacher started handing out small white slips of paper.

"These are you locker number and combinations. Your lockers are right around the corner." She finished as she handed me my paper. We all grabbed our bags and walked out of the door. We turned the corner and started looking for our lockers. I read my slip and started looking at the locker numbers. 570…569...568…there, 567. I walked up to my new locker for the next year of my life and started putting in my combination…5…27…15. I pulled and the locker didn't open. I cleared the lock three times and tried again. It still didn't open.

I growled and was about to try it again when a hand covered my own. I looked up and into the warm honey-brown eyes of a girl. I stared at her as she smiled. "Let me help. I had this locker last year. The trick is to clear it five times, no more, no less. Also turn it relatively fast." I turned my attention back to my locker and tried what she said. Low and behold it opened.

"Thank you."

"Not a problem. My name's Gome. What's yours?" She smiled at me and I began putting the notebooks that I wouldn't need away.

"Sesshoumaru."

"That's a rather long name. I think I shall call you…Shou." I turned and looked at her flatly.

"Shou?"

"Yes."

"Why do you presume that you can call me by such a nickname?"

"Because I can see us being friends. Our lockers are next to each other's after all."

"Your point being?"

"You'll see…" She smiled and walked off. The bell rang and I headed off towards the stairs. My first class was in room 215. I hustled down the stairs and rounded the corner looking for the room. Just as I found it and ran inside the bell rang. I sat in the closest seat to the door and the teacher smiled a us.

"Good morning class. Some of you might remember me from 10th grade. I'm Ms. Deming. I teach AP 12th grade English as well as regular and honors 10th grade English. I am also the yearbook teacher, so I may be late to class ever once in a while. If you don't already know me, I have a weird sense of humor; so don't let that bother you. I'm going to try letting you choose your seats for now." She walked over to her desk and picked up a clipboard. "Just let me take roll real fast…"

I listened as she started calling roll. I sat back in my chair and waited for her to call my name. "Sess…"

"Sesshoumaru." I said and she looked at me.

"Do you have a nick name you're called?" Suddenly the girl from earlier popped into my head and I suppressed a shutter.

"Maru." I gave the name my father calls me if he wants me to do something.

"All right." She made a note on her clipboard and continued down the list. Other than that little mishap, nothing really happened. Classes were cut short because of Homeroom and all we had time for was to go over the syllabus. It was relatively boring other than the fact we would be reading Moby Dick by Herman Melville. That should only prove fruitful because I've already read it and thus can read something else in class.

My other classes followed pretty much the same format. Roll call, ask for a nickname, then syllabus. My second period, Honors Calculus, made me need more school supplies. Not only that but that girl was in that class and ended up sitting next to me. So my nickname in that class is Shou. Third period wasn't any better, Honors Physics. I need to make sure to bring my calculator every day in case the teacher decides to give us a trig problem. It was fourth period though that threw me for a loop.

It said Symphonic Band A on my schedule card, but that's not what it was… "Welcome to Symphonic Band A, or, Marching Band. I'm the director, Mr. Orifici. Please note it's an Italian name, not German. I prefer to be called Mr. O." Marching Band…Marching Band! This Sesshoumaru is not in a Marching Band. I'll have to get my schedule changed…but then again…won't colleges like the challenge Marching Band brings? A smirk played on my lips as someone shouted out.

"We know this already!"

"I know. I'm saying it for the new people."

"What new people?" All the people sitting around me moved and I looked around. It seamed as if I've been caught.

"Hey! It's Shou!" I cringed at the sound and all the people staring at me turned they're attention to the back. I to looked behind me to the percussion section and saw that girl.

"You know him Gome?" One of the other percussionists asked. She nodded and smiled.

"He's cool. He'll learn how to march soon. I have no doubt about it." I sighed at that thought…me…having to listen to others and follow their orders…I suppressed a shutter and turned my attention back to Mr. O.

"All right. Shou," I sighed as he too used the name. "…these are our Drum Majors, Miroku Leguizamo, and Annette Trejo. They are your friends and you can say hi to them in the hallways, but once you're on the field that's over. You listen to them and do as they say." I nodded, recognizing Miroku as one of my brother's asinine friends. "They're teach you how to march after school today. You need to memorize the school song, the Imperial March, and the show music. Now, we're going to work on the show music." As he was speaking the Drum Majors were handing me the music.

Band quickly ended and I rushed out, only to meet up with Inuyasha…how did he get out of class so fast? "Hey, so I see you joined the Marching Band."

"It appears that way."

"Why don't you come sit with me and my friends for today. It's hard to find a spot to eat lunch….and there's so many Freshies this year…"

"Are you being nice no me?" He winced and I shook my head. "I do no need your charity."

"I wasn't doing it because I thought it would be nice. I was doing it because I thought it would be helpful. Everyone in this group's a senior and performs in the football games…except for one, and he's not even a senior." I didn't say anything and he sighed. "It was they're idea." That makes more sense.

"Why would your friends wish to sit with me?"

"Because I told them you'd be joining the Marching Band."

"How did you know?" I narrowed my eyes and he clenched his fists in frustration. Oh how I could see he wanted to fight me.

"You'd choose to be in the Symphonic Band because it's the highest band here."

"Aa." I began to walk away and he followed.

"So are you coming?"

"For today." I could learn about these people and since they all, except for one, perform at the football games, I may be able to use that to my advantage. We walked until we came to a relatively large group of people. The first person that caught my attention was that girl, then Miroku.

"I suppose you already know Miroku and Gome. This is Sango." He pointed to a girl with a long ponytail in a black skirt and pink shirt. "She's the captain of the cheerleaders and Miroku's girlfriend. This is Shippou." I looked at the young red head. He wore a simple pair of jeans and a white shirt. "He's the president of the drama club. And Kikyou." He blushed as he spoke of the raven-haired girl before me. She wore a black halter top and jean shorts. "She's the captain of the pomes…and my girlfriend." So this is the girl Inuyasha and father have been fighting about.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you." I said and sat down. Gome smiled and moved to sit next to me. Apparently I was too far from the group.

"So you're a flute boy. I don't know if I wanna call you Shou or flute-boy now." I shuttered.

"Shou is fine." I'd choose Shou over flute-boy any day.

"Good luck on learning your marching. We have a parade in five days." I paled and she laughed. "Don't worry. Miroku and Annette are excellent teachers. Now if you excuse me." She said and stood. "I have a meeting to get to." She walked away and Miroku leaned closer to me.

"In case you're interested, you have to get the approval of the other drum line first." I blinked and was about to ask what he meant by that, then cringed.

"I don't think that will be a problem." He shrugged.

"Suite yourself." I sat back and quietly ate my lunch and listened to their conversation and learned quite a bit. It seams that Kikyou and Gome are sisters, stepsisters, but sisters nonetheless. I wonder if this is how school's going to be like from now on.

I only have myself to blame if it is.