InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ First Practice ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons

Chapter Two: First Practice

{Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the other characters in here. Not to mention I don't own the song Open You Eyes. That's DJ Encore's property.}

Authors Note: Sorry the last chapter was so short…my brain just kinda died on it. This one's longer though. I'm skipping the whole Sesshoumaru learning how to march thing because I don't know how to describe it without showing it. I'm not a drum major and I don't intend to become one. If you need definitions on some of the marching terms just e-mail me (Mightydragonflam@aol.com) and I'll clarify it for you. Ja.

-Flame

~~*=~*~=~*~~

I pulled into the student parking lot and looked at the clock. It was five o' clock and practice began in an hour. I smirked as I stepped out of my car and into the cool air outside. I grabbed my flute and folder from the back seat and locked the car on my way to the school. It was Wednesday and I was ready. Practice was from six to nine every Wednesday and I had all the pieces needed memorized already. I had even become one of the better marchers, thanks to Miroku and Annette.

I walked into the school and headed towards the band room. I don't think I ever imagined myself joining a Marching Band, but I suppose there's a first time for everything. I turned the corner and entered the band hallway. No one was around, and I liked it that way. I like to get to things an hour ahead of time so I have time to think and prepare for what I'm about to do.

I entered the band room and froze. There were other people here…well… another person. I blinked a few times as I tried to figure out if I was just seeing things, or Gome was really lying in the middle of the floor sleeping. I walked a few steps in and found she really was asleep.

I've ended up eating lunch with Inuyasha and his friends since Monday and found this girl to be very intriguing. She has a pretty bad relationship with her sister, almost as bad as Inuyasha and my own. She's incredibly intelligent, yet she acts like she has less than half of her GPA, which just happens to rival mine. I squatted down on the balls of my feet and opened my case up.

It's quite interesting, out of all Inuyasha's friends, I like her the most. In fact her first assumption of us becoming friends was correct. We have formed a sort of friendship within the few days we've known each other. I've never done that with anyone else before. It makes me wonder what's so different about her than the rest of the world. I pulled out my flute flag and put it together. I smirked as I began poking her with it. She stirred and rolled over and my smirk increased. Why I have such a fixation with the girl and making her frustrated is beyond me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I feel safe around her. I don't know why, but I feel like I can be myself around her. That's something I haven't done since my mother died.

I stood and moved around to the other side and squatted down again. I started torturing her resting body with the flag once more until I saw her honey-brown eyes open and narrow at me. "Rise and shine, it's five o' clock."

"Practice doesn't start for another hour, let me sleep Shou."

"What kind of friend would I be if I let you sleep in the middle of the floor like this?"

"A good one." She rolled over again and I was pretty sure back to sleep as well. I stood and picked up a stand and put my flag away, only to take my flute out. I took out some sheet music from my folder and began to play as loud as I could while keeping a good tone on my instrument. Gome rolled over and groaned. I looked over at her as I played a very nice high note and she stood up.

"You toadstool!" I smirked as she walked over and took my flute from my hands. Normally I would kill whoever touched my flute, it was my mothers, the last thing of her I owned, but strangely, I didn't mind Gome touching it. "Let me sleep Shou! I had a rough night!" I smirked and looked at her. She's actually rather cute when she's flustered…did I just think that?

I gently placed my hand over hers like she had when we first met and took my flute out of her grip. "You could get stepped on if you slept there. Here." I took three chairs off the rack next to me and lined them in a row. "Lie on these." She walked over and did as I told her to. I put my flute away as well as my stand.

"My grandfather called last night." I looked over at the girl who was lying on the chairs with her eyes closed and her hands entwined with one another on her stomach. "My mom's in the hospital again." There was an odd silence and I kept my eyes glued to her. "I don't know why I told you that, but it feels nice to let someone know." She sat up and looked at me with hard determined eyes. She had made a decision about something. Whatever it was she was determined to do it. "She has stomach cancer. I lost my father my freshman year, I don't want to loose her." I have to agree with her, why is she telling me this? Does she feel as comfortable around me as I do her? "Do you know anything that can help?"

"Only going to get treatment." She sighed and flopped back down on the chairs.

"I thought as much." I heard sadness in her voice and winced. I remember that sadness. It's the sadness of despair, where nothing can get you to smile again. I should know. I haven't smiled since my own mother's death. The last thing I want to see Gome turn out the way I did.

"Come here." I grabbed her hand and pulled her up. "You need to get that off your mind." I dragged her toward the door and our of the band room.

"Were are we going?" She asked and looked down at her watch. "Practice starts in fifty-five minutes."

"We'll be back in time, don't worry." I told her taking her toward my car.

"You didn't answer my first question." She said flatly and I opened her door for her. She just stood there with her arms crossed over her chest and I sighed in frustration.

"It's a surprise, now get in the car." She rolled her eyes and got in. I walked over and got in myself before I started the car. I pulled out of the parking lot and headed for the highway next to the school. I focused on driving as the radio turned on. Looking at her from the corner of my eyes I watched her change stations. I shook my head as she found one to her liking. We really weren't going anywhere, just driving around, making it seam we were. Soon my ears started to pick up something. It was quiet at first, but it soon grew louder. It was a clear, heavenly, beautiful sound. I soon realized it was Gome singing to the radio. I listened closely so I could hear her.

"Tell me why you turn away whenever I believe. Finally you've come to say I'm everything you need. Every time you close your eyes. I know you feel the same. Everything you try to fight. Is drowning in the rain." Her voice was so relaxing. I've never heard anything like this before. It wasn't long before she was singing with all her might. Her eyes were shut and she was dancing in her seat. Her voice became clearer and you could hear the passion in the words as they left her mouth. "What does it take to open your eyes. Don't let it fade. You've got to let the sun shine through the rain. Open your eyes don't let me wait. You've got to let the sun shine through the rain… I'm not asking of you, to give yourself away. I just want you to hear the words I say. It's only a matter of time. It's only a matter of time. It's only a matter of time. It's only a matter of time. What does it take to open your eyes. Don't let it fade. You've got to let the sun shine through the rain. Open your eyes don't let me wait. You've got to let the sunshine through the rain."

By the time the song ended she looked relaxed. I'll have to remember this. Surly the stress over her mother will start eating her alive if she doesn't relax. I'll make it my job now to keep her relaxed as best as I can. By the time we got back to the school she was incredibly relaxed. I turned the car off after about the twentieth song. And we headed in. "Thanks Shou." I looked at her and nodded. "I feel a lot better now."

"Good." We walked back into the band room and the drum line pounced on her.

"Gome! Where'd you go?" Once asked.

"You're always here, what happened?" Another asked.

"You're not hurt, are you?" Asked a third.

"Guys, leave her be." The fourth said. Gome just smiled and patted my shoulder.

"I was just out with a friend." They all turned their gazes toward me and glared. Miroku wasn't joking about having to get through the other members of the drum line first.

"I am not interest in Gome that way." I returned their glare with one of my own. "She is nothing but a friend to me." They snorted and I was suddenly reminded of angry bulls on the nature channel. I shook my head and walked over to my flute. Good, it was just where I left it. I took it out and started warming up on my way outside to the band's football field, which was nothing but spray painted lines on the parking lot.

For the next hour we practiced parade marching. We all followed the drum majors through the parking lot and into the neighborhood next to the school. It was sundown when we marched toward the first house on the block and started yelling our cadence. I yelled as loud as I could without standing out and people started coming out of their houses to watch us pass.

"D dragons comin'! R ridin' through! A all together! G gainin' power! O over you! N never stopin'! S the sound we summon! D-R-A-G-O-N-S! D-R-A-G-O-N-S! Wooh!" The drum line played the intro to our school fight song and we placed our instruments to our mouths and began to play. My fingers flowed over the keys like water. Our sound echoed through the streets as more and more families came out to watch us pass.

My ego soared as children danced and pointed. I never knew that this would be so wondrous. I felt like I was really doing something to bring the community together. I loved the feeling this was giving me. It was exhilarating, thrilling, gripping, inspiring, perfect. This was what I've been missing in my life. This feeling. We marched around the block and ended up back at the school once we had thoroughly disturbed the peace.

"Alright guys, take a break. Be back here in five minutes." Miroku shouted so we all could hear. I whipped my forehead on my arm and wished I had brought a rag with me. I usually don't sweat, but I was now. I'll have to remember to bring one next time. I was walking towards the school to get a drink from the water fountain when something jumped on my back. I felt legs wrap around my waist and arms around my neck. The sent of honeysuckle filled my senses and I was almost confused about who it was. Who do I know that smells like honeysuckle?

"You did really well, Shou." I shook my head as Gome's voice identified the sent.

"Thank you. Now get off." She sighed, but hopped off nonetheless.

"Do you like it?" She asked as we walked inside.

"It's all right." I drank some water and she sighed again.

"Getting answers from you is like pulling teeth. Why can't you just open up to people?"

"I don't have to, that's why." I said and started walking back outside.

"No…but it would be nice." I turned and looked at her.

"Gome, I don't trust people enough to open up. Are you satisfied?"

"No." I sighed and continued walking. "You can trust me."

"I hardly know you." Though I must admit, I already talk to her more than anyone else. I have no idea why though.

"You could get to know me."

"I don't think so."

"Why not?"

"It's our senior year, we'll never see each other again after we graduate, there's no point."

"How do you know that?"

"I just do. Practice is going to resume soon, I suggest you return to your spot." She shook her head and looked at me.

"One of these days Shou, I'm gonna make you talk."

"Sounds like a good project to use up all your spare time on. Have fun." She walked back to her spot and I couldn't help but feel annoyed at myself for the way I treated her. She was only trying to become better friends, what was so wrong with that?

For the rest of practice I watched her any time I could. She didn't seam hurt about what I said to her, but you never can tell with women. The second half of practice focused on our field show. I can't decide which I like more, parade marching or field marching. I do rather like marching into all those shapes.

By the time practice was over I was covered in sweat. I didn't understand why. I hardly ever sweat and I work out. I have kendo classes two days a week. I whipped the sweat off my brow again as I walked into the band room. I was putting my flute away when the drum line came in. They were marching and playing like they were still out on the field. Are they aloud the play inside the school like that?

They soon stopped and began putting their own instruments away. Gome was the first one done and she stopped my retreat at the door. "Leaving already?"

"It's nine o' clock."

"Yeah, so?"

"Some people would like to sleep."

"Well, I'm not one of them, and I don't think you are either."

"Oh? How so?"

"They say geniuses need less sleep then normal."

"Your point being…?"

"You don't need to sleep as much." She thought I was a genius? I'm rather flattered. Nobody's ever called me a genius before."

"I an not a genius. To be a genius your IQ must be a minimum of 140. I am only at 138."

"Gee…what a cheat. I bet that ticks you off."

"Not really. It just makes me strive higher."

"Ah…well, Anywho Mr. Almost Genius, will you come wish the band good luck with us?" Mr. Almost Genius? Again, I would prefer Shou to that.

"Us?"

"The drum line."

"The drum line…" I looked at the line and lifted an eyebrow. They were watching us like I was some lecherous jock trying to ask Gome out on a date. "I'm a flute player."

"So? I'm really a singer." After what I heard earlier, I believe it.

"They don't look like they want me there." I was thinking up any and every excuse I had so I didn't have to go. I don't like going out with friends or hanging with other people. I would much rather settle down with a nice book to read, or play my flute. I know, I know, what kind of teenager am I?

"They just don't like people talking to me. Please." She stuck her lower lip out and gave me puppy eyes. I hate puppy eyes. No matter who you are, I don't care what you say, no one can escape the power of puppy eyes properly implemented.

"All right, all right, I'll go."

"Yaye!" She yelled and latched onto my arm. Surprisingly I didn't feel the urge to burn it off like I do with most female who attach themselves to me. Again I ask, why is Gome so different? She dragged me over to the other members on the drum line and began introducing them to me. "This is Randi, she plays the bells and other such instruments."

Randi was the only other female on the line. She was short with brown hair and blue-gray eyes. "Hey." She said. She didn't look as hostile as the others, but looks can be deceiving.

"This is Drew. He plays the quads as well as other instruments we need." Drew was as short as Randi was. He had short black hair and glasses so you couldn't see the color of his eyes. He didn't say anything to me. He just glared. "This is Chris." She pointed to a rather large and tall blue-eyed blond. "He plays the bass drum." He too only glared at me. "And Juan. He's our symbol player."

"Hola." At least he said hello to me.

"Come on Gome, why do we have to take him along?" Chris asked. Gome just looked at him flatly before she spoke.

"He's new here and my friend." Chris folded his arms over his chest and tried to look condescending.

"I don't trust him."

"He's Inuyasha's half brother."

"Even more of a reason not to trust him. Anyone related to something that would go out with that thing can't be trusted."

"Kikyou is not a thing." She whispered.

"Look, Gome." I spoke up and gained everyone's attention. "I don't have to go. Like I said, I can just go to sleep."

"Sounds like a plan to me, flute boy." Drew added.

"Drew, be nice." Gome said and looked at me. "I want you to come." Why is she so insistent that I join them? Did it have something to do with Inuyasha and Kikyou?

"Gome…" This from Randi. They were all against me! And Juan, he's not saying anything, and you know what they say, it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.

"I've made my decision. If you all don't wanna come, that's fine. But Shou comes." The line sighed and agreed.

"So, who's car you riding in?" Chris asked.

"I can take her." I offered. They all looked at me like I was crazy.

"That'll work. I'm going with Shou."

"Juan, go with her." Juan just nodded and I led them out of the band room.

"Sorry about that." I looked over at Gome and shook my head.

"Nothing to be sorry about, it's good to have people worry about you." She smiled at me and nodded.

"Race ya to the car." With that she ran off.