InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ The Boy ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons

Chapter Five: The Boy

{Disclaimer: I own nothing.}

Authors Note: Okay, here we go. Yes, I haven't updated in Goddess knows how long. Forgive me. 1) School started and my English teacher is making me hate English. I'm just now getting over that. 2) My Marching Season just ended. We went to two competitions this year, and for the first time in the school's history we didn't come in last place. 3) There are a few problems with my family at the moment. Anyone who personally knows me knows what I mean. Lastly, 4) My Adish is only interested in Originals at the moment. So here it is, the long awaited chapter 5. Sorry it's so short, but again look at the list above. Review Responses are below. Ja.

Tsuki Yume: I notice you don't like this fic as much as the last. I'm sorry. I am wondering how it's "So typical." I haven't taken offence, I just don't understand. If it's the high school setting, they're not staying there for long, and I can see your point. Other than that I don't under stand. Please help me so I can make my writing better.

animemistress101: You're never annoying, so don't think that. Unless you're a certain person I know, ::cough:: Cat ::cough:: You can't be, at least not to me.

Crandberry Sauce: Are you suggesting I put Cat in the fic? She'd be murdered. And Frankly, I only see you as annoying, not Cat annoying, but you annoying. Besides, I wasn't cruel, I'm writing in Sesshie's POV. That's how he'd see you. By the way, when the heck am I gonna hear from ya again? Are ya even comin' back? Talk to me girl. We're all upset down here, and if you do come back. You have a mountain of work that need to be completed. Not only that, but we never heard about yo b-day. Where are ya? You alive? Do ya need….::Adish pulls Flame away from the keyboard and takes over:: Please contact her soon before I hurt her. Thank you.

-Flame

~~*~=~*~=~*~~

Yes, what was I suppose to do now. It was only about three o' clock or so. Inuyasha was probably with Kikyou, and father was probably returning to work. Why would Inuyasha even tell father about the parade in the first place? I rolled over on my stomach and looked at my bookshelf across the room, contemplating re-reading one of the many books housed there. What good will it do? I'm too focused on finding answers to other things to comprehend the intricate sentences on the pages.

Sighing again I stood from my bed. I can't just sit here, or lay as the case was. I need to get up and do something. The only problem was, what? Shaking my head I tightened my ponytail and headed out of my room.

There really wasn't much to do in the house. Even as immense as it is it's practically barren. That pretty much took away a few choices. I suppose I could go back outside, in cooler clothes mind you. No more black and red in 85-degree heat. Opening the front door with my keys in pocket I stepped out of the house.

It wasn't as bad as it was with the uniform. Now that I was in a white shirt and faded blue jeans I felt much better. I walked down my long driveway and headed toward town. A nice walk may help. I crossed the main road that ran by my house and walked on the sidewalk along the park I had spent long hours as a child at.

I remember spending time with my mother there and playing games I wouldn't be caught dead playing anymore. I use to be so carefree and happy. I don't know if I miss the way I use to be or not. Purely for nostalgia I changed directions and headed toward the park I had loved so much.

It hadn't changed much in the years since I visited. I sat down on one of the swings and sighed. Why did I even come here? All I'm doing is bringing up painful memories of mother. I sighed and stood from the swing. I was about to lave the park when I noticed something in my peripheral vision. I suppose marching band has heightened that sense a bit.

A young boy was walking down the slope to the north of the park carrying a soccer ball under his arm. He looked upset and was mumbling things under his breath. I turned to walk back to my house or anywhere else, but something stopped me. Suddenly I wanted to talk to the boy, I wanted to console him, to ask him what wrong and try to help. What's wrong with me?! First I don't want Gome to get depressed and now I want to comfort this boy. Is this someone's cruel joke? Is someone messing with my mind? I want answers!

Not that answers would help any. While my mind was busy with other things, like arguing with itself, I so wonderfully had walked over to the boy and kneeled down to his level. Why is it I can't seem to be anything but nice lately, well except my outburst at the parade that is? The boy was looking at me expectantly, waiting for me to make the first move. "Hey, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." He said weakly and I shook my head.

"Fine, if you don't want to talk about it, I won't force you." I stood and started turning when I felt a grip on my pant leg and smirked. I knew I could get the kid to talk, why I wanted to so badly is beyond me, but I did it nonetheless.

"Wait! Please don't go!" I turned back to face him.

"Then what's wrong?"

"My sisters are fighting again." I nodded. Domestic disputes, they're hard on all kids. It all made sense now. No child likes seeing their family fight. "They always fight, I just wish they would get along."

"I'm sorry, I'm sure they want that as well. Sometimes siblings just grate on each other's nerves." The boy nodded and then smiled.

"Thanks. My name's Souta, what's yours?"

"Sesshoumaru." I was anticipating the mispronunciation of my name, but it never came.

"Nice to meet you Sesshoumaru do you want to play soccer with me?" Why not? I had nothing better to do anyway.

"All right." I walked with the boy, now known as Souta, toward the clearing behind the park. Many people used it for soccer, football, baseball, I even saw a group of kids playing rugby once. Once we reached the middle of the clearing Souta put down the ball.

"Okay, the goals are the horseshoe pits on either side of the field." I nodded and motioned for him to start. So the game began. Souta ran at the ball and hit it for all he was worth. The ball flew into the air and a smirk formed upon my lips as I ran backwards to meet the ball. Bending a little, I caught the ball on the back of my head and knocked it back to kick it with my foot as it soared back over to Souta. "Woh…" He said with widened eyes. "Can you teach me how to do that?"

"Sure." I walked over to him as he got the ball from over by the goal. He smiled brightly as he handed me the ball. "The first thing you need to do is learn to balance the ball on the back of your neck." I placed the round object there. "Once you've mastered that, I can teach you what comes next."

"Awesome!" He took the ball from me and began to try it himself. I caught myself on countless occasions nearly smiling as memories began to swarm over my senses.

~~*~=~*~=~*~~

"Like this, mommy?" A small silver haired boy asked as he placed a soccer ball at the back of his head.

"Exactly, now let it go and try to balance it there." A young raven haired woman smiled as the young boy freed his hands of the ball, which promptly fell to the ground.

"I can't do it!" The little boy pouted, tears coming to his golden orbs. "It's too hard, I give up." He said, plopping his bottom on the ground.

"You can't give up now." The woman said kneeling down to his level. "Every time you give up on something you kill something inside of you."

"Then I hope my emotions die. I hate feeling this way."

"You don't mean that."

"Yes I do. If I was emotionless I wouldn't feel so bad when daddy left."

"Oh honey." Tears came to the young woman. She knew why her husband was always gone, she wasn't an idiot. If he decided he didn't want her anymore, so be it. She wasn't going to make a big deal about it. She had everything she ever wanted: a home, a family, and a son to love and care for. No one could take that away from her. She wrapped her arms around her upset son.

"Why does he leave all the time? Was it something I did?"

"No. You didn't do anything wrong. Don't ever think that. You father loves you. He just has some things he need to work out at the moment."

"Will we ever get back to the way things were?"

"I don't know, baby. I don't know." The woman sighed and ruffled the boy's hair. "How about we play some soccer, Maru-chan."

~~*~=~*~=~*~~

I shook my head from the memory. I haven't though about that time in ages. I now know the reason why my father was gone all the time was to be with that trap Inuyasha calls a mother. With a sigh I focused my attention back on Souta. I refuse to think about the past anymore than I have to.

I watched as Souta got the ball to stay on the back of his neck just as an older woman walked down the hill. "Oh thank God!" The woman declared and ran to Souta. "I was so worried when I couldn't find you."

"You know I always come down here when they're fighting." The woman sighed and shook her head.

"I know, I know. I just wish Kagome will leave soon."

"Mom, I like Kagome. She's so much fun."

"She's trouble, and you'd best remember that." The woman sighed and flipped a few strands of long chestnut hair away from her face as she turned to me. "I'm sorry if he was bothering you. Souta doesn't know when it's best to leave people alone." I could already tell I didn't like this woman.

"I assure you. I was a pleasure spending time with your son."

"Does that mean you'll meet me here again next Saturday?"

"Of course." Why did I just do that? Was it to spite his mother, or do I really like spending time with the brat?

"Yaye! Thank you Sesshoumaru!" He ran over to me and have me a quick hug before running up the hill to where I supposed he lived.

"Souta!" His mother yelled and followed him up the hill. "What have I told you about…" I shook my head as her voice drowned out. I feel bad for the boy and his sisters. No wonder they fight so much. With a mother like that I probably would too.

With Souta gone, I turned back around to walk back to my own house. I have homework I should do for Monday. Not only that, but I think I should apologize to Gome. After all, I ­was pretty harsh on her. She was only trying to help after all. I can't give up on our friendship so easily. I'm tired of loosing parts of myself all the time.