InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ Home Game ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons
Chapter Eight: Home Game
 
 
{Disclaimer: Do you people still think I own this? Try again.}
 
Authors Note: Sorry about the long non-updating period. I seriously had writers block on this chapter. I know I shouldn't have, but I did. Adish went on vacation and I had no inspiration for this at all. Can you all please forgive me? Review Responses are below.
 
Seishin'ijousha-Mesunokitsune: Yeah, Kagome's the snare player. Actually my Drumline this year was six people and we're rated number one in the county. Last year we had a vocal cadence. The Cheerleaders thought it would be cute, so we indulged them. Inuyasha's not in the band. He's on the Football team. He could play tuba though. The Dragons wasn't my choice. My brother likes to help me so he feels included in my life and I told him to pick the first animal that came to mind and it was a dragon, so now they're the Western Dragons.
 
-Flame
 
~~*=~*~=~*~~
 
Today was the day. It was seventh period and I couldn't for the life of me remember any of my Japanese. I was too busy thinking about the show to come. Today was the first home game of the season and the first time we'd be performing our field show. The music of the movie Timeline ran through my head. I thought about my part, and nearly missed the question Tanaka-sensei asked me.
 
“Hibiki-san, Can you please translate the next sentence?” Her crisp voice snapped me out of my musings and I looked down at the book I had opened at the beginning of class. If I wasn't so good at half listening I would have translated the wrong sentence.
“Mae ni susumenai yo kono mama no kibun ja kinou no kuyashisa ga tachidomaraseru kara.” Oh my, didn't that just strike a chord? `I can't go forward
feeling like this. The regrets of yesterday keep me from going forward.'
 
“Yoshi.” She said and I sighed. I really used to dislike Japanese; I was only taking it because one of these days I'll be taking over my father's company and West Corp. Industries deals a lot with the Japanese, so it would be rather intelligent to learn their language. Since I met Gome though, my prospective of the language has changed.
When the bell rang to end school, I jumped from my seat and rushed out the door. I've never been so excited in all my life. I was really looking forward to performing for halftime. I rushed up to my locker on the floor above and began putting in my combination.
 
“Ready for the game?” I looked up as my locker opened and into Gome's warm eyes. I fought a smile and nodded. It's been a week since that sleepover and the feelings I realized I had for her have only increased. The worst thing was that I've read and heard enough that being apart only makes it worse. I also heard from Inuyasha that once she graduates, Gome's heading back over to Japan. Maybe that was another reason the language seemed to appeal to me more.
 
I got my books that I would need for the weekend from my locker as she did the same. “So, what ya got planed for this weekend?” She asked me. Please don't tell me there's going to be another party. Sunday morning was bad enough. We had all woken by the rant our father began throwing when he came home to a pile of boys and girls sleeping with each other. I can understand and all, but he's started watching us like a hawk.
 
“Nothing really, just reading I guess.” She made a face and shook her head at me. Actually, I was rather thinking of returning to the park where I met Souta and spending some time with the little kid, but I wasn't going to tell anyone that. If someone knew about my weakness towards children, my reputation would be ruined. “You need to get out more.”
 
“I `get out' just enough thank you very much.” She sighed and we closed out lockers on out way to the last practice before the game. Gome and I walked through the halls in silence, just enjoying each others company. We quickly dropped out stuff off in the band room and got our instruments together before awe headed out with a few other members to the upper practice field.
 
For the next two and a half hours we marched and re-marched pre-game and half time. I was fairly confident of the halftime show, but pre-game was a different case. The low brass section was unable to stay in a company front while marching half way across the field. Mr. O looked like he was about to kill them.
 
All in all by the time dinner came we were all glad to be going inside. Of course dinner wasn't there yet, but that didn't matter, we were still done with practice. I sat down in one of the chairs near the door in the line that had started near the door where dinner would come from, or so I think. I mean there's a line and it's around dinner time, what else could it be?
 
It didn't take long for dinner to arrive after that. We all ate and chilled before we got into uniforms. It didn't take as long as I thought it would to do all that. Before long we were all standing outside waiting to march down onto the field for per-game.
Every one cheered as our team passed and stayed silent as the opposing one followed. After a few more minutes the Drumline began to play ­Imperial March and we marched down to the field. I didn't notice how many people were there until we stopped and turned the face the crowd.
 
The stands were packed.
 
There was literally no room to fit any more people in there, save for the seats reserved for us. All the people were watching us and waiting. We had their full attention. “Will everyone rise for the playing on the National Anthem played by the Western high school Marching Band.” The announcer's voice came over the loud speaker. Everyone did in fact stand, I had no doubt they would, but from this angle it looks breath taking.
 
Mr. O raised his arms into the air and as he brought it down Gome started the drum roll. We played the anthem after that followed by the school song. During the school song everyone marched up to the front line as the football team ran in. Turning, we changed to the cadence and marched out of there before the team ran us over.
 
Once everyone got to the sidewalk we stopped marching and walked to our place in the stands. People were taking off their shakos and gauntlets left and right. I don't blame them, they were annoying as anything. Even I took off my shako.
 
In the stands we sat from lowest interment to highest. We flutes, being one of the shrillest instruments were at the very top, one row above the clarinets. I was lucky enough to sit in the opposite end of the row from Cydnie, so I'm happy…well…sorta. Gome was all the way at the bottom of the section. So close, yet so far. I sighed and hung my head. I miss her already.
 
“Are you okay?” I lifted my head a bit and looked at the clarinet girl in front of me. I've seen her around the band room. She's friends with Cydnie, but is a lot calmer and keeps her in line. She can be hyper, yet calm all at once. I wish I knew her name.
 
“Just tired.”
 
“I don't blame you. You don't seem like someone who's done this before.” The girl lifted a hand to place some loose stands of hair that escaped her pony tail behind her ear. “That and with Cydnie for a section leader I think anyone would be tired.”
 
“I heard that Jen. I'll get ya for that!” Jen, that's her name.
 
“Like you could!” She shouted back. “Here.” Jen reached into her shako and pulled out a handful of pixie sticks. “They help, trust me.” She smiled and I took the paper wrapped sugar sticks.
 
“Thank you.”
 
“Welcome” Jen turned back to the game and talking to the Sax player in front of her. I wouldn't mind being friends with her, I'm sure it would be beneficial in some way. At least she could keep Cydnie off my back.
 
I opened the pixie stick and poured the contents in my waiting mouth. I felt instantly awake. Jen was right they do help. I watched the game with interest after that. I couldn't believe how good Inuyasha was. The only times I didn't watch him was when we played pep songs.
 
Why didn't I go to any of his games before? He was really good. I hope they give him a scholarship, he deserves one. Omigod…am I praising Inuyasha? My eyes widened as I realized that I did indeed feel some sort of pride for the little tyke. The sugar must be affecting my brain in more ways than keeping me alert.
 
After that I tried to ignore the game. After all, nothing good was coming from it. I'm not supposed to like Inuyasha. He's one of the reasons my mother was unhappy. The clock hit six minutes left in the second quarter and the band stood to warm up for half time.
 
Everyone walked to the side of the field near the scoreboard. So far it was Western high 36 Southern high 0. We formed the warm up arch and well, warmed up. When the First half was over everyone shouted as our team passed. Shouts of `Go Dragons' filled the stadium and the Pom Squad went on. I saw Inuyasha turn to watch Kikyou march on the field and she in turn blow him a kiss. Sickening. Just as sickening as the Poms routine. Truly horeish if you ask me.
 
As the Poms were leaving the field we got in lines and marched onto the field. It was out turn. We marched to our spots and stood there as the announcer spoke. “PLEASE WELCOME THE WESTERN HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING BAND, ENTERTAINING AUDANCES FOR THE PAST TWENTY YEARS. HANG ON TIGHT AND KEEP AN EYE ON THE TIME AS THEY PROFOM THE MUSIC FROM THE MOVIE TIMELINE!”
 
With that the Drum Majors counted off and we started. I kept my eyes on the audience as we played and marched. Everyone was watching. Some danced and swayed to the music while others cheered. We had their full attention, just like in the beginning. Even those waiting for things in the refreshments line turned to watch us.
 
By the time we were done and marched off the field to make way for the football team everyone was clapping and cheering for us. I've never experienced anything like that. I was filled with this emotion I couldn't name, but it was something I've never felt before.
 
We were back on the sidewalk walking back to our spot in the stands when I saw something that for once didn't make my blood boil. Right in front of me stood my father. I saw something in his eyes that I hadn't seen there for years; pride.
 
He held out a bottle of water toward me and I just looked at it for a few seconds before I took it. I saw the surprise in his eyes as I did so and look at me. “Sesshoumaru.” He stopped and looked at me. The rest of the band was almost to the stands by now and I didn't move to join them.
 
“Thanks for the water.” I said and walked away. It was getting too comfortable to be in his presents. I'm supposed to hate him, but I can't at the moment. I guess that sugar is still affecting my brain. I ran to catch up to the band and sat in my seat.
 
The rest of the game went by quickly. We played a few more songs and I drank my water. Our school won the game; 70 to 0. The band was the last to leave the stadium. We played until the last person left the stands. After that we changed out of out uniforms, put them away and left the school. It was now nine thirty at night.
 
I still felt weird from then encounter with my father as I walk to my car and got in. I didn't see Gome after the game either. I'm sure one of the other Drumline people drove her home already. Home, that sounds like a good idea.
 
I started my car and went home. I saw my father's car in the driveway and knew he and Inuyasha were home already. Shutting the car off I walked inside. My father was standing in the hall, waiting for me to come home. He's never done that before, unless I had done something to Inuyasha and he needed to punish me, humph, like he could. Sending me to my home is hardly a punishment.
 
“What did I do now?” I asked.
 
“Nothing.” My father said. “I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed watching you today.”
 
“Okay. Good night.” I turned to walk up the stairs to my room.
 
“You looked just like your mother out there.” I froze and looked at him with wide eyes.
 
“What!”
 
“You didn't know?”
 
“Know what?”
 
“Your mother was in the Marching Band in her high school.”
 
“She was?” I walked back down the few stairs I had passed and faced my father.
 
“Yes. I thought that was why you joined.”
 
“No. It was a scheduling error.”
 
“Really. Do you…do you want to see some pictures?” We had pictures on mom?
 
“Oh course.”
 
“Follow me.” My father walked up the stairs and into his room. Just as he asked, I followed. He pulled out some books and sat on the bed. I sat next to him and he opened the first book. They were yearbooks. He flipped to the freshmen pictures and started showing me pictures. “Here's you mother our freshmen year.”
 
“Our?” You were high school sweet harts?”
 
“Yes. You didn't know?”
 
“No.” I looked at the smiling picture of my mother. She had long hair in this picture. Here eyes were shining with happiness and she had the kind smile on her lips that I knew so well. A few rows down I saw a picture of my father. He wore goofy glasses and had a pocket protector. His face was acne ridden and I nearly laughed. He was a nerd in school, I couldn't believe it.
 
“Your mother used to be one of the most popular kids in school. I still don't know why she liked me. I was such a dufous after all.” He flipped to a new page of the Marching Band. “The school we attended focused on the music department.” The picture was one of the Marching Band. In the center I saw my mom with a flute. “The Marching Band won ever competition they went too. They were state champions. You mom was one of the best flute players they had. When you told me you wanted to play flute I remembered she had kept her old one and gave it to you.” He looked at me.
 
“Here, I'm sure you're tired. You can have these.” I looked down at the books in my hands and closed my eyes. I only had one picture of mom and it's a small one. I had to steal it from father long ago. Now I have many pictures of her.
 
“Thank you.” I stood and left the room. Walking into my own room I turned on my reading light and looked at the new books I had gotten. The one I think I'll treasure the most was her diary. I actually cried while I read it.
 
I stayed up later into the night learning about my mother who I lost so long ago.