InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ Spirit Week/Asking Her ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons
Chapter Nine: Spirit Week/Asking Her
 
{Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha under any circumstance, please don't assume I do.}
 
Authors Note: Sorry for the long update. Please look at my rant on my bio page for more information as of why the long period of nothingness. I would like to thank my friend Emily for coming up with the ideas for Spirit Week so I didn't have to. Emily you rock! Just a warning I'm not sure how I'm gonna do on updates anytime in the future. My Marching Band is going to China this fall and we still have a lot of fundraising to do and things to learn. Wish us luck as the Marching Jaguars perform in the Shanghai Tourism Festival! Enough said, I'm sure you want to get on with the fic. Review responses are below, ja.
 
Aqua Miko: thanks, I forgot about that, fixed it, see? No, you're not missing something, I'm just an idiot. I need to stick to one thing and keep it. Sorry, thanks for pointing it out for me.
 
Kim: nope, not abandoned, just in la la land.
 
Blue Dove: (www. animespectrum. com) is my new cheap site. Don't know how well the subtitles are, but it's a nice site. I put spaces in the url, hopefully it'll stay in this time.
 
moosegirl13: No! Please don't die, see update!
 
Sam*: Yeah…I forgot about that. I really need to check back and see what I wrote in the past. Thanks for pointing it out. It's fixed now.
 
darkandlovely: lol…okay here's the update. Sorry it took so long. I really did loose it all when my disk got corrupted. I'm hoping to update a lot sooner next time.
 
-Flame
 
~~*=~*~=~*~~
 
FRIDAY:
 
I sighed as I looked at the sign above the staircase. Even if I wanted to I couldn't pretend I didn't see it, it was huge.
 
School Spirit Week: Next Week!
Monday: Hat day
Tuesday: Tacky day
Wednesday: Opposite day
Thursday: Twin day
Friday: Class Color day
Seniors: blue
Juniors: red
Sophomores: green
Freshmen: yellow
 
 
How could I ignore that? I've tried to all week and it didn't work so why should it now? I trudged up the stairs and to my locker all I wanted to do was get home and read, what was so wrong with that? I'll tell you what's wrong, I'm nervous.
 
Yes, I, the great Sesshoumaru am nervous. Why you ask? Simple. The Homecoming dance in next Saturday and I actually want to go this year. Not only that but I want to go with someone. I turned to corner of my locker bay and saw that certain someone I wanted to ask.
 
“Hey Shou.” Gome smiled at me. “What's up?”
 
“Wanting to go home.”
 
“So you're not going to the away game then?” She looked a little disappointed but I couldn't help it. After what happened at the last game I didn't want to watch Inuyasha play anytime soon.
 
“No.”
 
“Oh, well I'll see you Monday then.”
 
“All right.”
 
“Don't forget to wear your hat.”
 
“I won't.” She turned and I watched her begin to leave. “Gome.” She turned and looked at me with those honey brown eyes that I've come to like and sighed. “Don't forget either. Play well.”
 
“Will do.” She smiled. I sighed again as she left. That's my problem. I'm set in my old ways and can't form the words to ask her. I had too; I already bough the tickets after all. I rested my head on my locker as I entered the three digit combination in the lock. At least I was going home and things couldn't get any worse…or so I though.
“Shou…”I heard a whine near the entrance of the locker bay. I shuttered; I knew that voice anywhere. “Shou…I heard you weren't going to the game tonight.”
 
“That's right.”
 
“Why not?” I looked over and saw a pout on her grotesque visage and nearly sighed again. Vanessa, the band slut as most knew her, was trying to get me to ask her to Homecoming. Think again Freshie, think again.
 
“I do not have to explain myself to the likes of you.” My eyes narrowed dangerously and the pout went away.
 
“Fine.” She lowered her head now in an attempt to make me guilty. Sorry, it won't work Kagura wanna be. I did sight mentally at that. Kagura was a student at my old school just like Vanessa, only worse. Kagura was lucky she was a girl, otherwise I would have killed her for all the times she groped me.
 
“Go away Vanessa, I need to get home.”
 
“I'll see you Monday I guess.” She sighed and left, thank God. With that, I packed up my backpack with the materials I'd need to the weekend and left the school.
 
SATURDAY:
 
I sat at the dinner table later that night. I had ended up playing with Souta all day and came home to find out that father was going to grace us with his presents at dinner tonight. Mrs. Shouga, the old maid that has been around longer than I can remember informed Inuyasha and myself that our father had important news to tells us, which means I can't go upstairs and ignore him.
 
As it turns out he was late to dinner and didn't even say anything until desert was served. Tell me again why I listened to Mrs. Shouga? “Boys, I have to speak to you about something very important.” The two of us were all ears, it was rare that father came home early and the fact that Izayoi cooked instead of Mrs. Shouga didn't help matters. Please God don't let them say they're having another child.
 
“Yes father?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“I'm going to be taking a very important business trip to Japan soon. I am needed there for some meetings and business deals and I wish for one of you to accompany me, after all one of you will eventually end up running the company once I retire.” He looked straight at me as he spoke and I turned my head.
 
“That all depends on when this trip shall be taking place. I refuse to miss school to sit around in a small Japanese office all day.” Father looked at me and arched a brow.
 
“You think I haven't taken this into consideration? The dates are during you winter break from school.” Inuyasha winced and got both of the parental unit's attention.
 
“I can't. Miroku and I are taking Sango and Kikyou down to Miami.”
 
“I don't recall you mentioning this trip.”
 
“He asked me, Taishou.” Izayoi spoke up. “You were working late and they needed an answer then and there. I said it was okay.” She smiled sickeningly sweetly and made me want to gag, but father apparently approved. He smiled in return and nodded.
 
“All right, then Sesshoumaru, you shall join me.”
 
“Can't.” I said. Not only do I not want to be stuck in the same room with him for lengthened periods of time, I don't want to sleep in the same small quarters as him.
 
“Why not?” His eyes, so like my own narrowed and I narrowed them in return.
 
“I have things to do in which the break will give me ample time to do them. Without such break, I wouldn't be able to get them done. Besides, I wouldn't want to deduct your time from you mistress.” I smirked as Izayoi's eyes widened and she looked to father, hurt plain in her eyes.
 
“Taishou…” Was all she said before she ran from the room in tears. Father glared daggers at me and I just looked as bored as I could. Who knew if what I said was true or not.
 
“Sesshoumaru Koroku Hibiki!” Father shouted. “I expected better from you!” I snorted at the statement as he walked out of the dining room to go comfort Izayoi.
 
“Why'd you say that you asshole?” Inuyasha asked and left to do Gods know what. Ah…alone at last, and I caused havoc to get it this way, all the better. I smirked and finished my chocolate moose.
 
SUNDAY:
 
The house was still a little chaotic in the morning and late afternoon from my statement last night. Good to know that people take what I have to say to heart. I rolled over and continued to read my latest novel before I finished up the last of my homework before Monday.
 
 
MONDAY:
 
I waited to leave my room until after Inuyasha left. I didn't need to hear him talk so early in the morning, which he undoubtedly would on this particular morning, most likely all week come to think of it.
 
I open me bedroom door and walked out of my sanctuary wearing my favorite six quarter cap. It was rare for me to participate in a school event, and spirit week was most defiantly a school event. Before anyone could say anything I grabbed my backpack and left the house.
 
When I got to school I walked up the stairs to my locker and near smiled. Gome was already at her locker and she was wearing a lovely Margaritaville. “Morning Gome.” She turned and smiled at me.
 
“Morning Shou. Nice hat, not something I thought you'd go for.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“It reminds me of one of those Chippendale hats. I would think Miroku
would have worn something like that.”
 
“Should I feel insulted that you think my favorite hat is a stripper's hat?”
 
“Only if you feel insulted.” She smiled and closed her locker. “Well, I'm off, see you in class.”
 
“All right. Gome?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Uh…would you mind—”
 
“Oi!” I sighed as Inuyasha's voice echoed through the hall. “What the hell are you wearing Sessh?”
 
“A hat you moron, what does it look like?”
 
“Shut up. Why are you wearing a hat?”
 
“I felt like it, not that I have to explain my actions to you.” I turned as he growled and opened my locker. Another chance blown.
 
TUESDAY:
 
I looked inside my closet and looked at all my clothes. Not meaning to be like Inuyasha, but, how the hell do you dress tacky? The meaning of the word is distasteful or offensive, so I suppose one would dress as such. I racked my brain and came up with the perfect outfit.
 
Just as I was putting the finishing touches on my all mighty tacky day ensemble, someone knocked on my door. “What is it?” I growled and Inuyasha walked in my room.
 
“Oi, Sessh, can I borrow your hat?”
 
“Why?”
 
“For my tacky day outfit.” I looked at him and shuttered.
 
“Are you a Chippendale?”
 
“Yeah, how'd you guess?” Were the thong and chaps not a clue?
 
“You get anything on it or hurt it you die, understood?”
 
“Yeah, yeah, no worries.” I watched the whelp take my hat off my dresser and complete his own outfit. “So what are you?” I stepped out of the closet and showed off my bling, bling if you will. “You're a gangster? Omigod, that's fuckin' awesome.” Inuyasha smiled and laughed as we left our room together without a fight for the first time in years. “Think I can get a ride?”
 
“I thought you took the bus?”
 
“I missed it today.”
 
“And what's wrong with your own car?”
 
“Kikyou will end up wanting a ride.” So the reason for the bus finally comes
into view.
 
“Why do you put up with that woman?” I asked as we piled into my car. Inuyasha was silent for a moment or two.
 
“To tell you the truth it's for Gome. Kikyou makes her life hell when I spend time with her and it was even worse before we started going out. I only went out with Kikyou and continue to do so for Gome's sake so that she doesn't have to get hurt so much.”
 
“Hurt?”
 
“Kikyou will beat her at times if she's in a bad mood, and Gome's step-mom does nothing. They both think she took Mr. Higurashi away from them.” I had no idea what it was like for her.
 
“You really care for Gome don't you?”
 
“God I wish I could date her! But, Kikyou would beat her senseless. Gome doesn't fight back because her dad loved them and she doesn't want to harm anything her father loved.” I closed my eyes once I parked the car at the school, I had no idea. Now I'm even more determined to ask her.
 
Inuyasha and I spit once we got inside the school to go to our own lockers. I want to do something for Gome, and make her feel better. I got to my locker bay and froze in place. “What are you wearing?!” Gome turned and my mouth nearly hung open.
 
I remember long ago when my mother was still alive we drove up to New York to see the city. While we were there we saw some of the local hookers as well. Even as a child I pitied them and thought them very tacky. That's what Gome was.
 
“Me? I stole some of Kikyou's clothes. I'm a hooker for today. Miroku asked me to since he's going to be a pimp and Sango refused. Why? Turning you on?” I nearly blushed at that, nearly.
 
“No, it's just very perfect for today is all.”
 
“I see, nice bling, bling gangster.” She smiled and walked away.
 
“Gome!”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Do you have--”
 
“Oi, bitch! Where's my money?” Miroku yelled and Gome smiled. If only I could get her alone…

WENDSDAY:
 
I clenched my teeth together as I stared at the outfit on my bed. It was opposite day and the only thing I could think to do was change my gender. God, why me? Why do I have to do this? Because, I like Gome, and this is to make Gome smile.
 
I sighed and picked up the bra and put it on, stuffing it while I was at it. By the time I was dress I decided I didn't want to go to school, but that would demolish my perfect attendance record. With another sigh I drove to school before I decided that my record wasn't worth the humiliation.
 
I ran up to my locker once in school, I didn't really want anyone to see me, even though I wouldn't be able to hide it later on in the day, but at least I was greeted with a pleasant surprise.
 
Gome was there, again, she always gets to school before me it seems, and she was beautiful. She usually is, but this time she wore the most beautiful dress. It was white in a toga style and had silver beads accenting it. The white mixed with her raven hair so beautifully that it made looking like a girl worth it all.
 
“Morning Shou.”
 
“Morning. You look…”
 
“Different?” I nodded, more than that. “It's opposite day, is it not?” She
smiled and walked by me. “See ya in class girlfriend.” Today, I think I'll let asking her slide. I just want to enjoy seeing her in that dress as much as I can.
 
THURSDAY:
 
Yesterday Gome had asked at practice if I would be her twin. So today I'm wearing jeans and a green t-shirt, as well as Gome. Today, thankfully it didn't take long to dress and I was out the door and in the school in record time. Such a record that Gome wasn't at out lockers yet.
 
I got my stuff and leaned against the metal to wait for her, which didn't take long. “Hey twin.” She greeted me as she opened her locker.
 
“Hey.” She quickly got her stuff and ran off shouting that she was late for a makeup test or something like that. I sighed and sat on the floor. Now would have been a perfect time to ask her, guess not.
 
FRIDAY:
 
Gome wasn't at out lockers this morning and so I missed my chance then. Today's the day, I have to ask her. The dance is tomorrow and I have no chances left after today. I didn't even get a chance in school. Now, we were on the field performing. How is it that an entire day can go by and I can't ask her one question to save my life?
 
We were half way through the show when we stopped. Now it's time for all the seniors to go up and get introduced. Apparently this is like a senior farewell, only not…
 
All the seniors, myself included ran up to the sideline and the announcer said our name and our instrument. Gome was next to me and was smiling at the crowd, until they called her name.
 
“KA-GOW-MAE HE-GU-RA-SHE, DRUM LINE LEADER. SE--” I blocked out my own name as well as the others that followed. Kagowmae? Kagome? Kagome? Her name's Kagome? A small smile graced my features and I let it. Kagome, it was so much prettier than Gome. We all ran back and finished the show and were marched off the field.
 
As we were walking back to the stands I took my chance. I walked up next to Kagome, ah, how I like that name, and grabbed her hand. “Kagome.” Her eyes widened at the name I used.
 
“Shou. I no one calls me that. I go by Gome.”
 
“I shall call you Kagome for now on, now that I know that's you're name. I like it much better. I want to ask you something, Kagome.”
 
“What is it?”
 
“Will you please go to Homecoming with me?” There I said it! Yes! Finally it's out! Her eye's widened more and she looked at me.
 
“Shou…”
 
“Yes?” I'm hoping, I haven't hoped since my mother was sick. Please say yes…
 
“Why?”
 
“I want to do with you. There's no one else at this school that would be as
much fun as I believe you would be. Besides, didn't you say once I need to participate more?”
 
“All right.” She smiled then brighter than I've ever seen her smile. “I would love to go with you.” I felt like I was glowing the rest of the night.
 
How I couldn't wait for the morrow.