InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ Inari and Taishou ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons
Chapter Thirteen: Inari and Taishou
 
{Disclaimer: I wished I owned things…but I don't…and it makes me sad…}
 
Authors Note: ::Adish pokes Flame:: Wake up you lazy thing. ::Flame sits up and looks around:: It's time to write the review responses and chapter. ::With a sigh Flame sits at the computer and gets to work::
 
Tsuki Yume/Bluedove: Yes…this was an all mighty chapter filler of doom! ::thunder clashes in the background:: Okay…maybe not of doom…Thanks for the thing at the end, I fixed it…but didn't post the fixed thing…yet. I'll get to it. I am le tired…
 
Demonic Gurl: Marching band is challenging yes, I will say that. It takes time and effort, but it's fun. Most people think it's worth it. It also looks good on your college application. When you perform I guess it could be scary the first few times, you get over it though. Naw, you're not being stingy. That last chapter was a filler. It's always hard for me to write fillers for some reason. ::Adish in the background grumbles about it being `his' chapter in question:: It was only four pages, I was upset with it myself and plan to make the others longer too. Fillers are just annoying, but needed at times.
 
……: Trojans? Are you the Gaithersburg high school ones? Or are there others? I'm a Northwest Jag. ^_^
 
-Flame
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
I stood in front of the large white building the next day. Kagome had ended up calling me back after my talk with father to tell me the name of the hospital, information I was quite fond of knowing. It was then I asked her if she wouldn't mind meeting my father.
 
It came as a shock to her, I could tell. After all, almost every one knows I don't have the best relationship with my father. I a surd her it was fine and she agreed. Oh how I was dreading that meeting, almost as much as dreading this one.
 
I held my breath as I walked inside the large hospital. One thing Kagome forgot to mention was what room number her mother was in. So I had to go to the registration desk and ask. “Hi may I help you?” The young woman smiled and asked.
 
“Yes, I'm looking for Higurashi Inari.”
 
“Oh, Kagome-chan said you'd be coming, Hibiki-kun, correct?”
 
“Hai.”
 
“Higurashi-san is on the third floor; room 306. It's the third one on the left of the elevator.”
 
“Arigato.” I left the desk and made my way to the elevator. I followed the lady's directions and was greeted by Kagome at the door. “Morning. How's she doing?”
 
“Okay I guess, not regressing.” Kagome smiled and hugged me as I drew nearer. “She really wants to meet you.”
 
“Then we shouldn't keep her waiting, shall we?” The two of us walked in the room and I was astonished at the area. The one my mother had was gray and barren; she even had to share the room. This one though was the complete opposite. Kagome's mom's room was filled with color, flowers, and balloons. She didn't share the room with anyone. It didn't even look like a hospital room, well except for the equipment and such.
 
I looked ahead of me and there was Kagome's mom. She was looking at us and I felt Kagome tug on my arm to hurry me up a bit more. She looked just like her daughter, minus the ill look of course. They both had the same hair and eyes. “Kaa-san. This is Sesshoumaru.” I looked at her oddly. It was very rare she said my full name. I liked the way it rolled from her lips.
 
“It is a pleasure to meet you Higurashi-san.” I bowed to her and she waved a hand at me.
 
“Maa, maa. Kagome has told me so much about you. There's no need to call me Higurashi-san; Inari's fine.”
 
“All right. Inari.” She smiled and looked at her daughter.
 
“He's very handsome Kagome.” I tired not to smirk. I was rather nice looking after all, it's only natural it was mentioned. “So tell me, Sesshoumaru, how is Kagome treated over seas?” I paused and looked at the girl in question. Her head was turned and I knew she didn't want her mother to worry about how her stepfamily, minus Souta of course.
 
“Well, many people like and respect her. There are a lot of people in the school who look up to her in times of need as well. I think she may even have a fan club of some sort floating around somewhere.” Inari laughed at that and I saw Kagome shake her head. She was not looking at me with a smile on her lips. She knew I wasn't going to mention anything that would worry her mother.
 
“What of at home?”
 
“At home from what I've heard, life there wouldn't be the same without her. Her younger half-brother Souta,”
 
“I've heard much of him. He sounds almost like Haru at times.” Haru must have been Kagome's father.
 
“He's a very sweet boy. I met him at the park by our house one day and we became quick friends. He cares about Kagome greatly. He was quite upset that she left.”
 
“I'm glad you're doing well Kagome.” Inari smiled and closed her eyes. “You graduate this year, do you not?”
 
“Hai.”
 
“I wish I could be there to see it.” Her eyes opened and locked on her daughter. “It's my goal to be there.”
 
“Mama, you don't have to…”
 
“I want to see you get your diploma, and if it means beating this, so be it.” Tears came to Kagome's eyes and she silently began to cry. Not wanting her mother see her weakness she turned her back. Normally I would leave a crying person alone, but I wanted both of them to know that I would be there for Kagome.
 
I placed my hands on the crying woman's shoulders and pulled her into me. I didn't say anything, I just held her; my arms around her and chin on her head. I kept her like that until she pulled away. Whipping the few tears left from her eyes I stroked her cheek. “Do you want me to get you anything to drink or eat? Either of you?” I asked looking at Inari for the second part.
 
“I'm fine.” The woman in the bed said.
 
“Something with caffeine would be really nice right now.”
 
“Okay, I'll go get you a soda, okay?” She nodded and I kissed her forehead before I left the room. I knew the two of them had some talking to do, and they most likely would feel most comfortable talking without me there.
 
I walked down the hall and back down to the reception desk. “Hi, can I help you?” The same girl asked.
 
“Yes, where can I get something to drink?”
 
“Down the hall to your left. It's at the end of the hall, you can't miss it.”
 
“Arigato.” I followed her directions once again and found the cafeteria. A groan escaped me as I looked at the long line before me. I thought hospital food was supposed to be notoriously bad. I suppose that's an American culture thing and doesn't apply here. Regrettably I took at place in the back of the line and waited.
 
And waited.
 
And waited.
 
And waited.
 
It felt like it was taking forever. I almost gave up my place in line to go to a store somewhere when the line moved and I was next. “I would like one Mitsuya Saidaa please.” It was supposedly one of the leading sodas in Japan. “And one Ramune too.” I paid for the drink and returned to the room where Kagome and Inari awaited me.
 
I knocked before I entered and the two of them looked up as I entered. “I got you a Mitsuya Saidaa and a Ramune.” Kagome smiled and took the Mitsuya Saidaa.
 
“I haven't had this in a while. Thanks.”
 
“No problem.” I sat in one of the two chairs in the room.
 
“Kagome says she's going to meet your father today. What's he like.”
 
“Kaa-san, Shou and his father don't really have a very good relationship.”
 
“Oh.” She looked concerned. “Why is that?”
 
“He has done things that I cannot forgive him for.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“He works quite a bit and neither Inuyasha nor I see him much. Even if I wanted to tell you what he was like I couldn't.”
 
“Inuyasha?” Inari looked at Kagome in surprise. “You're Inuyasha?” I nearly growled at Kagome being called his. Inuyasha isn't good enough for her. I think he and Kikyou are perfect for each other.
 
“Yeah.” Kagome blushed and I once again had to willingly suppress a growl. “Inuyasha likes Kikyou.”
 
“Kikyou?! What's so great about her?” Well, it looks like Kagome told her mom about Kikyou at least. That's good. Now when her mom gets better she might be able to help the problem.
 
“How should I know?” She shrugged. “Inuyasha and I are just really good friends and I'm okay with that.” I thought she liked Inuyasha. There was just something about the way she would look at him in years past before he started going out with Kikyou. “Besides.” She smiled at me. “Sesshoumaru treats me better than Inuyasha ever did.”
 
“Good. So I take it Sesshoumaru is Inuyasha's brother?”
 
“Half-brother.” I corrected instantly. I've spent my whole life correcting that mistake; it's hard to stop now when it doesn't matter anymore.
 
“I see…” The rest of the visit was spent getting to know each other and finding out how Kagome and I met. It didn't seem long after that before a nurse knocked on the door announcing that visiting hours where now over.
 
“Ja mama. I'll see you tomorrow.”
 
“All right Kagome. It was nice meeting you, Sesshoumaru.”
 
“It was very nice. I hope to see you again soon, and if not, then I shall most definitely see you and Kagome and my graduation, correct?”
 
“Of course.” She smiled one last time and we left.
 
“She likes you.” Kagome said as soon as we were in the elevator. “The way you held me when I started crying, she liked that.” Looking at me she smiled. “She wishes us the best of luck.”
 
“You're mother's very nice. I do hope she gets better. If at any time you need help, for things such as hospital bills or money for treatment, don't hesitate to let me know. I want to help.”
 
“Shou…” I smiled at her.
 
“After all, your mother has set her mind to being there when you graduate, and she doesn't seem like someone who gives up once they decide on something.”
 
“No, she's not.” We walked out of the hospital and I called for a cab. “Thanks Shou. It really means a lot to me.” I placed my arm around her waist as the cab drove up.
 
“I know.” Telling the driver where to go we slipped into the back seats and I comforted my girlfriend as we headed to the hotel. “I will always be here for you, remember that.”
 
“I will.” It didn't take long to get to the hotel from the hospital. I paid the driver and the two of us got out. We didn't say anything, Kagome content with what had already been said and me anxious to get this meeting over, as we took the elevator to the room.
 
“Father?” I called once opening the door. Taking our shoes off I began looking for him. “Father?” I sighed, of course he wouldn't be home, God forbid he had to do something that dealt with me. Most likely he's still in one of those tedious meetings I had to deal with last week. “He's not here. Either he's forgotten, which I wouldn't put past him, or he's stuck in a meeting, which again, would be normal for him.”
 
My eyes widened as I walked in from the kitchen area into the living room/bed room. Kagome was lying on my bed, though I doubt she knew it was mine. Gulping I tried to ignore the thoughts that were running through my head. Yes, I may be more mature than most my age and much more sophisticated, but I'm still a guy and when I see my girlfriend on my bed…
 
She sat up and looked at me innocently as always. Keeping the metal images at bay I sat on the other side of the bed. “He's not?”
 
“No.” I gulped again. Oh was it hard keeping the images at bay.
 
“Isn't he the one who wanted to meet me?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“And he's not here.”
 
“Nope.” She sighed and flopped back down on the bed. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Was she trying to torture me? Thankfully it was at that moment the door opened and my father stumbled in.
 
“You're still here.” He sounded dumfounded.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“You never wait for me.” He smiled and walked up to us. Kagome was sitting back up and he took her hand. I tired not to growl as he placed a kiss on her knuckles. “This must be you're doing. I take it you're Kagome?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“You have no idea how wonderful it is to meet you, especially since I'm late. I believe this is the first time in more years that I can remember that Sesshoumaru has waited for me to arrive. Though I have one question.” He turned his gaze to me and glared. “Why are you two on the bed?”
 
“Please, I am nothing like Inuyasha, and you know that.” He kept his eyes on me a bit longer and sighed.
 
“His patients may have grown, but if you could get him to talk more it would be wonderful.” He left the room to change out of his work clothes.
 
“He seems nice.” Kagome said as she turned to me with a smile. “I think he really wants a relationship with you. Why don't you try to be a little nicer to him?” I looked at her flatly. “Please, for me?” Sighing I nodded, I couldn't deny her anything and she knew it.
 
“So where do you want to go?” My father asked coming out in a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. His silver hair was pulled on top of his head in a long pony tail. He looked old enough to be my twin if he wanted to.
 
“Hum…” Kagome thought about it for a bit.
 
“How about the Famiresu on the corner of the next block.” My father looked at me like I had grown another head in the few minutes he was gone. “That way if Kagome misses any of the western dishes she can have some, while we can try something new if we wish.”
 
“That sounds good to me.” He said and we left the room, holding to door open for us and we once again got into a taxi. The drive over was relatively quite, I was sure my father planed to asked Kagome questions to get to know her better at the restaurant that way he knew I was kept in some sort of check.
 
The restaurant wasn't too far and once father had paid the driver we were seated inside. “They have cheeseburgers…” I laughed a little at that and again father looked at me oddly as the waitress came up to our table.
 
“What can I get you?”
 
“Cheeseburger!” Kagome nearly yelled. “And coffee, please.”
 
“I'll have the Sashimi and ice tea.”
 
“Ramen and green tea.” The waitress took our orders and I looked at my father. Well, at least now I know where Inuyasha's ramen fetish came from. “So, my dear Kagome. I've heard of you before, you wouldn't be Inuyasha's friend would you?”
 
“I am.” My father turned his gaze to me.
 
“You're going out with you're brother's best friend? His girlfriend's sister even?”
 
“Apparently.”
 
“Have you no shame? You know Inuyasha likes her.”
 
“He's with Kikyou.”
 
“That doesn't mean a thing.”
 
“Of course it doesn't mean something to you.” Kagome must have felt uncomfortable watching our battle of wills and glares.
 
“You know, I like just being friends with Inuyasha. I've come to like Shou more than I ever cared for Inuyasha.” Father turned and looked at her.
 
“Shou?”
 
“His nickname.”
 
“You go by a nickname?” He asked me.
 
“Yes.” The waitress came back with our food and we began to eat. I looked over at Kagome and noticed she was looking at me with one of those looks that girls get. You know, the look that makes it so you can read their mind? Well, Kagome's said to be nice and fix what I did. “How was work?” I tried not to snicker as he chocked on his ramen and looked at me.
 
“What?”
 
“How was work?”
 
“It was productive. We finalized the agreement we were working on last week.”
 
“The merger for WCI and NCI?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“They agreed to all our terms?” I was astonished.
 
“Yes, we had to agree to some as well, but that wasn't a problem.”
 
“That's good.”
 
“So Kagome, how's your mother? I heard she's ill.”
 
“She's doing better then she was. Maybe you'll get to meet her. She's going to try to come to our graduation.”
 
“I'll be looking forward to it.” The rest of the meal was nothing but small talk, nothing really angering or frustrating. It was rather late by the time we finished and father pained for Kagome's taxi home. I stood outside the door with Kagome in my arms as my father took care of the fare.
 
“Sorry about dinner.”
 
“No, I know it's hard for you to be around him. You were a lot better than the last time I saw you two together.”
 
“I'll see you tomorrow, right?”
 
“Yeah.” She smiled. “How about I introduce you to my friends?”
 
“It sounds wonderful.” Did it really? No, but it was important to Kagome. I'm just going to have to learn to be more social. Bending down I kissed her and helped her into the cab. “Till tomorrow.” I stroked her cheek and closed to door.
 
“She's good for you.” My father said as the vehicle drove away. “I'm happy for you.”
 
“Thank you.” I didn't really need his approval for who I was currently dating, but oddly it felt nice to have it. Maybe Kagome's right and I need to be a little nicer to him. It's always worth a shot.