InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ Graduation & Goodbye ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons
Chapter Eighteen: Graduation & Goodbye
 
{Disclaimer: I own nothing…not even the pants I wear…they say Tuesday on them.}
 
Authors Note: All right, real quick about the links in the last chapter. I took a look at them and after the http they're missing the :/ so you will also need to put that in as well. I'll try and fix that soon. This might be a short chapter, but It's hopefully going to be the last of this length. I'm hoping the others are going to be longer, much longer. Not much else to say, review responses are below, enjoy.
 
Yabou: Yes, I'm very sure of the commands. I asked my drum major to write them out for me. She said that the book our school learned from recommended replacing the F with and H. It's supposed to be easier to say as well as easier to understand. At least that's the reason she gave me.
 
Demonic Gurl: Just add the :/ after the http and the links should work then. And see, I've completed you challenge.
 
-Flame
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
Today was the day. The day I had been dreading for the past week. Graduation. It wasn't graduation itself that I was dreading; it was what was to come afterwards. Kagome was leaving. She was going back to Japan, and I couldn't follow. I had to stay here and go to Princeton. That was the only way I would be able to take over the family business. Kagome had only told me last week. An hour after we're getting our diplomas, she's heading out to the airport. Even if I were able to get away for the breaks and see her, it wouldn't be for long. Looking out the window of the family limo I waited for the inevitable. Today was probably going to be the last day I see Kagome in at least six months. I hated it.
 
“What's wrong?” I looked up at my father; the only other one in the car; Izayoi and Inuyasha were coming in another car a bit behind us. We all thought it would be best if I wasn't confined in the same car as Izayoi for prolonged lengths of time. “You're graduating, shouldn't you be happy?” I contemplated ignoring him and not answer the question, but Kagome wants me to be nicer to him. Today was her last day, the very least I could do was be civil with my father for her.
 
“Kagome's going back to Japan today.” I turned back to the window when I said it, not wanting to see his expression.
 
“I'm sorry.” I could hear the near pity in his voice and I hated it. I didn't want to see it on his face and I certainly didn't want to hear it in his voice. I didn't want or even need him to pity me. It's not like she and I were going to loose all contact or anything like that.
 
“Don't be. I'm just going to miss her is all.” I heard him move across the seats and his hand soon rest upon my shoulder. He didn't say anything, and for that I was glad. The rest of the trip was in silence, which made me even happier. Well, as happy as I could get with Kagome leaving in a few hours.
 
The two of us got out of the limo in front of our chosen place of graduation, Constitution Hall. Apparently, it's a tradition in the school for all classes to graduate there. Other families were standing out front of the large building. The parents all looked so happy with tears in their eyes, the soon to be ex-students looked ecstatic. I was looking around the crowd for Kagome when Inuyasha and his mother walked up to us. “I don't think she's here yet.”
 
I glared at Inuyasha and was about to say something when I was shocked into silence. A taxi had just pulled up and an elderly man was helping a younger woman out of the vehicle. I knew that elderly man, and I was pretty sure I knew the woman too.
 
A smiled spread across my face as I walked over to them. “Higarashi-san!” The old man turned and smiled.
 
“It is good to see you Sesshoumaru.” Turning back to his task, Inari soon stepped out from the taxi. She looked weak and tired, but she was here and that meant a lot.
 
“Inari, you look wonderful.” I walked up to her other side and helped steady her with Kagome's grandfather. “It's so good to see you again.”
 
“Sesshoumaru.” She smiled as we walked along. “It is good to see you too. Is Kagome here yet?”
 
“I don't believe so. Would you like to meet my family though?” I was planning on becoming a large part in Kagome's life, I thought it was only right that our parents meet.
 
“That would be very nice.” By the time we got over to the family in question, they were looking at me very oddly.
 
“What the hell is wrong with you, Shou? Since when did you have a soft spot in you?” Inari smiled and bowed to my brother.
 
“You must be Inuyasha. It is nice to meet you. I'm Kagome's mom.” I suppressed a laugh as his eyes grew wide and bowed back.
 
“H-Higarashi-san, it's a pleasure to meet you.” So, he can be polite at times, surprise, surprise. His Japanese was a bit choppy, but he could still be understood.
 
“Please, call me Inari. This is Kagome's grandfather, Souh.”
 
“Pleased to meet you sir.” I introduced Inari to my father, and they seemed to like each other. They talked about how fast time flew by and how sad it was that we were leaving. I had to admit, I was afraid when I first introduced them, but not so anymore. It looked like they wouldn't mind us dating. I've known couples before that had to stop dating because their families didn't like each other.
 
The conversation the adults were having was broken by a cry of joy. We all turned to see Kagome running up to her mother and grandfather and pulling them into a large group hug. Tears were falling from her closed eyes as she held her mother close. I didn't blame her in the slightest. Once she had calmed down and made sure her mother was really there she came into my arms. Her sent of water lilies came over me and I sighed in contentment.
 
Sango and Miroku came after a while and were introduced to Kagome's family as well. Kagome and I had to translate for them, but that was fine. Neither of us minded. One thing I was grateful of was Kikyou and her mother never came over. It wasn't long after that when the parents were aloud to sit inside and we graduates had to go and line up. It was time to shed our cocoons of childhood and emerge as adults.
 
Pomp and Circumstance began to play and the two lines we were forming in started moving. We took our seats and all stood standing until our whole row of chairs were filled. Once every one had taken their seats, the speakers began. After about an hour or so they began distributing the diplomas...well...what looked like the diplomas. What they really were was the case that holds it, after the ceremony we had to go and get the real thing. Which didn't take too long.
 
Everyone headed out of the building once we got our real diplomas and met up with their parents. Kagome held my hand as we walked up together. “Father,” I said as we drew near. He tore his attention from Inari and looked at me expectantly. “Kagome's leaving for the airport once she gets all her things from her house. May I pick her up and drive her there? If that's all right with Inari and Souh as well?” He blinked at me for a bit. I hardly ever asked his permission to do things; he knew this. That was probably why he looked so shocked that I had asked.
 
“It's fine with me, Inari-san?” She nodded and smiled once Kagome had translated for her. “All right, lets go so you guys aren't late.” I caressed Kagome's cheek and said goodbye for the moment as I got in the limo. It had to have been the longest ride I've ever taken. When we got home I quickly took off the black moo-moo we all had to ware along with the cap. Changing into a pair of black jeans and blue tee-shirt that was a bit tight on me, I braided my hair. It was one of Kagome's favorite outfits, so I thought it only appropriate to wear it for her. I ran down the stairs and hopped into my car in no time flat. I really thing it might have been a record for me.
 
By the time I got to her house, Kagome was already waiting for me outside. She had two large suitcases full of the things she had collected over the years she had been here. I took them from her and placed them in my trunk. We got in and I started heading off to the Dulles Airport. Silence filled the car as we got on I 270. I was too afraid to ruin the last time we had together so I didn't say anything, Kagome was the one to speak first. “I'm so glad I met you.”
 
“Don't say that.” I shifted my eyes to look at her. She was looking straight ahead, no emotion on her features. “Don't sound like we're not going to see each other ever again.”
 
“But...”
 
“No. I'm going to come and visit you in Japan. It may take a few months, but I will. You can't get rid of me that easily.”
 
“Shou...” Taking another glance at her I saw tears begin to from in those honey eyes I loved so much.
 
“I love you, Kagome. I don't plan on breaking ties with you just because you're living in another country. I'll move to Japan if I have to.”
 
“You would really do that for me?”
 
“Of course.” I turned to look at her as I said it, not too long mind you, my eyes were back on the road a few seconds later. “I would leave everything behind if I had to. I refuse not to have you in my life.” I was doing something I've never done before, not even when my mother was alive. I was bearing my soul to her. I wasn't afraid about it either. I have utter faith in Kagome not to destroy it.
 
“Sesshoumaru...” She cried and rested her head on my shoulder. “I love you too. Promise me you'll find me soon.”
 
“I promise.”
 
“Say it, please.”
 
“I promise to find you soon.” I smiled and took her hand in one of mine. I meant it too. I want her in my life. Maybe when I've inherited the business and made a name for myself I'll ask her to marry me. The thought of that happening filled my mind and a smile spread across my face. I would love for that to happen, and it will, some day.
 
Parking in one of the few free spots, I took Kagome's bags from my trunk and lead her inside. I was going to stay with her as long as possible. I waited in line with her until it was time for her to check her bag. When she was the third person in line and took her and kissed her passionately. I've never done this in public, I always thought it to be in low class, but it was going to be the last time I could kiss her in a long time.
 
“Goodbye for now.”
 
“Bye.” Tears were coming to her eyes again.
 
“Have a safe trip.”
 
“I will.”
 
“I'll see you soon.” She just nodded at that as she was called next. I left the line and waited for her on the other side of the ropes. It didn't take her long to get her bag checked and her boarding pass. She came over to me before she made her way to the security check.
 
“I love you.”
 
“Love you too.”
 
“Goodbye.” She kissed me one last time. It tasted of her tears. Running my hands through her hair I smiled sadly.
 
“Bye, see you soon.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“I promise!” I yelled as she got in line to move through the metal detectors. I didn't move from that spot until I could no longer see her raven hair. Making my way back to my car I repeated the promise I made over and over in my head.
 
I wish I had only known then how long it was going to be until I fulfilled it.