InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Model Village ❯ Meet the Family ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.
 
Well now, at the request of all my beloved readers, here's more MV! YAY! Happy New Years to you all! (Clears throat) Now…I have no idea where this will go, but your guess is as good as mine. You all felt that the last chapter left this story as incomplete as they come. Well, I have no idea where this will lead…To more chapters? To a sequel? Or just end here? This is my mind's decision, and I know what you all are praying for, more chapters *author nods with you* we'll just have to see what may happen in this installment…{~_^}
 
And now, I must answer one special review. The one left by m.z*d.e.e. from ff.net:
 
Wow. I have to say that I am very glad to have been an inspiration to you. This story has been a joy to write, but one thing that did amaze me about MV as it wrote itself was in fact two things:
Inuyasha's moving on from his love of Kikyo…this was especially surprising as how we all know…you never play switch hitter that easily. I was the most worried about that.
Kagome knowing she was Kikyo's reincarnation, and how she dealt with how Inuyasha saw her. She just kinda accepted that, even though she didn't know for sure.
*sigh* Yes, it is strange how they just kinda fell in love soo easily, and it may have been just a bit rushed, but I didn't expect Inuyasha to accept her that easily. I realized as being the writer of both this fic and INOY that I certainly cannot plan out my chapters, because they wouldn't have worked otherwise…*sigh* It's hard to explain. Oh well, the point is, it was meant as an experiment, seeing as I actually wanted to see how great this idea would work as fiction material, and Inuyasha was the perfect start to see what I can truly due with this idea, and here's the result. I actually meant it to be a total comedy to begin with, not to turn out more like an episode Rumiko may have missed. Anyways, I plan to answer this question to clarify the how and why between the two. You have inspired me to explain this, and boy do I have some info! Okay…now I'm rambling…*sigh* But I must say thanks to you for letting me know that I am loved by you as a writer, and it's readers like you who inspire me the most. It has certainly been a joy writing for you. I certainly hope that you will read on, my friend…Read on {^_^}
 
 
Model Village: Meet the Family
 
 
Grandpa sat on the floor, right elbow on the table and his head propped on his right hand as his left hand held the cracker he scrutinized. He had waited for about an hour, wondering when he would get the chance to see that figurine. It bothered him. They all looked so intricate, there was no way they could have been made by some artist in some shop in the middle of nowhere, or Tokyo for that matter. Their expressions looked too real.
 
`Those two white haired figurines looked a bit too much like each other. I remember the legend of the Inu youkai family that supposedly existed in legend. They must be figurines modeled after them! I'm certain of it! I'm beginning to wonder if I had entrusted something just a little too valuable to my grand daughter. I need to see them.' He thought to himself as he set down the cracker on the dish in front of him, stood up and left the living room.
 
He then turned to go up to Kagome's bedroom to see if he could see both of them. He knew he shouldn't be sneaking around, but he knew Kagome could possibly stay at her friend's house all evening, and he didn't want to be up too late, since the shrine grounds open up for visitors at dawn. As he walked through the door to her room, he looked at the village.
 
“What?! Where are they? They're all gone! No! She couldn't have taken them all with her, could she have? But why? She did say she loved them, but why would she take ALL of them?” Grandpa said to himself aloud as he backed away from the village and sat down on her bed.
 
Meanwhile
 
 
Kagome and Inuyasha stood by as they watched Miroku, Sango and Kohaku hold each other close. Miroku and Sango could finally live normal lives together. Kagome didn't know much about their relationship, but Inuyasha knew what plans the monk and the slayer had after Naraku's demise. They planned to be together. And since Kohaku was graced by their wish, they could be a real family.
 
`Humph…A real family. Wish I could have that.' Inuyasha thought to himself as he felt an arm curl around his.
 
“They look like a wonderful couple, don't they?” Kagome commented, looking upon the three with tears of joy in her eyes.
 
Inuyasha looked to Kagome, surprised by the expression. It seemed there was something lacking in her spirit as she looked on them happily. “Something wrong, Kagome?” Inuyasha asked.
 
Kagome looked up to him and said, “No, just glad to see them happy. I don't know much about them, but I know they've been through a lot. I wonder what's going to happen next. With all of you, I mean. Now that you've used the jewel to bring Kohaku back, you all are undoubtedly stuck here in this era. I wonder how hard it will be for all of you.” Kagome's voice went from happy toned to sadness.
 
Inuyasha turned to face her and put his hands on her shoulders, gaining her attention fully. “I don't know what your world holds for us, but I'm sure with your guidance, we can learn a lot. Now that my brother, Shippo, Kilala, Jaken, Kouga and I are here for good, we are most likely the only youkai around. I can tell these are peaceful times. I'm sure there's some way we all can live here. Of course, I have no idea how Sesshoumaru and Jaken will live, but Kouga, I'm sure will find some wolves to lord over.” Inuyasha's eyes retreated to his sword. “I know you can help me. I know now you are the person I'm meant to be with after all this. There's no one else I know of who would accept me for who and what I am. Not youkai, not human either. I am me, `Dog spirit' and that's all I know how to be.” Inuyasha's eyes then returned to hers.
 
“Inuyasha, I still feel the same. I accept you as you are, and I promise to help you. The hard part would be to find a way for you to live a normal life. I really don't know if that's possible here, but we can try. I don't know what my family will say, but they are like me, very accepting of others, and loving. My grandfather is the one who would take some convincing of your acceptance.” Her eyes reverted past his shoulder to the three holding each other. “I'm sure grandpa would be very happy to have another monk to help him with the shrine. Sango, she'd be able to live here as long as she likes. Same with her brother. My brother Souta is about his age, I'm sure they'd get along well.” Her eyes looked back to Inuyasha's “I'd just have to introduce all of you, and we'll see what happens, okay?” Kagome's smile relaxed Inuyasha's eyes somewhat as he realized she would go through possible embarrassment just for him and his companions.
 
Seeing that she had calmed the half demon, she turned and walked up to the family a few feet away, and told them what the plan would be for them. They were happy to hear that Kagome's family could use them and would more than likely accept them into their home. One thing concerned Inuyasha more than anything. Would they accept the long story that awaited them?
 
“Kagome, tell me about this shrine. What is it's purpose? There are things present that show there is a true purpose. The Goshinboku for instance. I need to know why we ended up here of all places.” Inuyasha stated as he towered over the family on the ground.
 
“Inuyasha, everything will be explained by my grandfather on the shrine's history. We are descendants of those who originated from the same village Kikyo lived in. He knows more about the history than even I do.” Kagome replied as she lent the monk and the woman her hands. She helped them all up, and said, “Shall we all go meet my family?”
 
“Hai” was the response from all of them. They were all excited and scared at the same time. Kagome thought on how excited her grandfather would be to see the one whom the legend of their shrine centered around, and telling him she was the reincarnation of the great priestess who resided in that ancient village in the very beginning. She imagined how big his eyes would get when he'd get to see the true Tetsussaiga with his own eyes.
 
`Humph…He'd probably never leave Inuyasha and Miroku alone. I'll bet he'll even search the forest for years looking for Sesshoumaru.' Kagome thought to herself as she put her hand over her mouth to hide her smile and giggle.
 
Once they arrived at the house, she asked the monk and the young woman to remove their sandals as they then entered the entryway. When they reached the living room, she saw the plate with the crackers, and the cup of smoking tea.
 
“Hmm…I would have thought he would have waited. It's not his bedtime just yet. Have a seat here, everyone. I will return with my family shortly.” Kagome stated as she then turned and left the room, sliding the shoji door closed behind them, hiding them from anyone she hadn't asked to come meet them.
 
She first went to the kitchen since she heard water boiling. She knew her mother would be making dinner at that time. “Mom?”
 
“Hi, Kagome. Dinner's almost ready.” Her mother stated as she turned to face her daughter.
 
“Oh, well…Can I ask you a favor?” Kagome asked as she fidgeted with her fingernails.
 
“Sure, honey. What would you like?”
 
“Um…Could you make enough for my new friends? There are four of them.” Kagome looked at her sheepishly.
 
“New friends? Four? Who are they? From school?” Her mother inquired.
 
“No, actually. It's a long story, but I'm sure you'll be glad to meet them, they're really nice.” Kagome said with a smile.
 
“Okay, I'll make what I can. I guess I'll have to go shopping tomorrow. Can I meet them first?” Her mother asked.
 
“Sure, since you're cooking dinner for them, I'll introduce them to you now.” Kagome said as she grabbed her hand and walked her mother away from the stove.
 
Her mother became a little worried. Her daughter had never brought home strangers who were not students from her school. Not knowing how her daughter met those new friends of hers worried her a bit, that is, until Kagome brought her before the living room and slid open the shoji door, revealing four people who resembled the very figurines her father had given Kagome. Kagome's mother gasped when she saw Inuyasha. The first thing she did was walk up to him, she didn't know what to do but stare at him for a few moments.
 
“What?” Inuyasha asked. That was when Kagome's mother fell to the floor and bowed before him, surprising everyone. “Why are you bowing to me?” Inuyasha asked when her mother finally looked up to his eyes.
 
“You are Inuyasha! The same Inuyasha the legend our shrine was built around! To be in your presence is amazing! Anything you need, I shall do my best to provide, I promise.” Kagome was shocked to hear her own mother give a vow to Inuyasha as if he were some sort of Lord.
 
Inuyasha sighed as he took her arms in his hands and lifted her upper body off the floor. “Please don't bow to me. I'm not worth that treatment. There's obviously a lot you don't know about me, but I will solve that soon enough.” Inuyasha said as Kagome's mother nodded in agreement. She stood and then looked upon the other three.
 
“Anything you all need, just let us know. You all look famished. Dinner should be served in just a bit, all right? Just make yourselves at home. Kagome? Maybe you should call Souta and your grandfather to come down and meet these fine people as well, okay?” She said to Kagome with a smile and a wink.
 
“I will, mom.” Kagome answered as her mother exited the room to the kitchen. “We don't normally eat our meals in here, but she will tell us when we can go and eat. I'll be right back with grandpa and Souta.” Kagome stated as she turned and closed the shoji once again, leaving the four to their own devices.
 
“Wow. I never thought I'd ever see anyone bow to Inuyasha like that. Kagome wasn't kidding when she said her family would accept us four strangers into their home.” Miroku stated as Sango and Kohaku nodded.
 
“Huh…I didn't like seeing her mother or anyone bow to me. I know I'm not worth that type of attention.” Inuyasha spat out as he closed his eyes, crossed his arms and looked off to the side where he felt a puff of air hit his nose. He opened his eyes to see Kagome's mother sitting there with a curious look in her eyes. Inuyasha scooted back out of surprise as Kagome's mother just sat there, not saying a word. “What do you want now?” Inuyasha growled as he bore that he was annoyed.
 
Kagome's mother suddenly reached forward and grabbed Inuyasha's ears. Inuyasha let out a startled sound as she rubbed his ears as she would a normal dog. Inuyasha began to growl as she just sat there and continued to rub his ears.
 
“So you are part dog, like your name says! I wasn't certain the legends were true or not, but now I'll believe anything I hear about it. They're soo cute! And they move on their own too!” She pulled her hands away and acted as if she was a little school girl who had just seen the cutest thing in the world.
 
Inuyasha didn't know how to react, as he sat there dumbfounded at how she easily accepted his demon parts. He figured she would have freaked at the sight of him, not coddle him as if he were a stuffed bunny.
 
Miroku, Sango and Kohaku just sat back and laughed at her actions, and Inuyasha's reaction. They never knew her mother would do such a thing, but now they knew where Kagome's sweet and understanding heart came from. Kagome turned out to be like her mother, only not as impulsive.
 
~*~
 
Kagome stepped up to her bedroom door. It was ajar, and she heard her grandfather talking to himself as if he thought he was alone. He was talking about Inuyasha's legend to himself. She now knew it wasn't she who had received the best gift, but her grandfather. If he only knew what awaited him downstairs, he would be soo excited, almost as if he were in his twenties once again. She knew she would give him the best gift he had ever been given his whole life. His life had only consisted of the shrine they resided in at that moment.
 
Once she heard her Grandpa sigh on the other side of the door, she stepped in. He looked up at her in alarm as she said, “Hey gramps!”
 
“Oh! Kagome! You startled me! Where are your figurines?” He asked as he stood and pointed to the empty village.
 
“Uh, can you come downstairs with me? I have some new friends I know you'd be happy to meet. Trust me, Grandpa; you'll be surprised to meet them.” Kagome mentioned with a wink and a genuine smile on her face.
 
“Uh, but what about the figurines? I went to a lot of trouble making this gift for you, and I won't have you abusing it!” He said as he walked over to the now useless village.
 
“I haven't been abusing it, grandpa! But the friends I have brought home can answer those questions you have. Trust me, they will!” Kagome stated as she gestured towards her bedroom door.
 
The old man grumbled and said, “Fine, I can wait.” Kagome and the old man left the room and stepped down the stairs.
 
~*~
 
“I don't care, I'm hungry!” Inuyasha yelled at Miroku as he grabbed one of the crackers on the plate and stuffed it in his mouth.
 
Miroku shook his head and said, “No manners. How you can be a Lord's son is beyond me, Inuyasha.”
 
Sango just sat there and watched the hanyou decimate the number of crackers left on the plate in seconds. Kohaku felt too strange to say a word. He mainly stared down at the table. As the crunching from the hanyou's hungry mouth continued, the sound of footsteps came from the other side of the door. Kagome slid the door open once again to reveal the biggest surprise the old man had ever received.
 
“Now who is it you…AH!” The old man stood there in silence as he saw the strange man sitting where he sat earlier, his crackers all gone!
 
Inuyasha opened his eyes when he heard the gasp from the old man. The old man just stood there and stared at Inuyasha with his mouth wide open in shock. Inuyasha stood up to face him man to man as he said, “What's your problem! They were just crackers! I was hungry!”
 
The old man tilted his head up to look into the eyes he had never thought he'd ever see. The figurine was life sized and alive in front of him! His body was paralyzed. He couldn't talk, move, nothing. Inuyasha was starting to lose his patience. He had never seen an old man look at him that way, and it annoyed him. He walked up to the old man and looked down upon him with his arms crossed.
 
“Are you one of the figurines I gave to my grand daughter?” He asked as he raised a finger up at him.
 
“Yes, I was a figurine. But now I'm alive and I'd like it if you'd call me by my name!” Inuyasha retorted as her grandpa glared at the hanyou.
 
“You are now a guest in this house! You should treat those who allowed you into this house with respect! I am the man of the house, and you shall address me as such!” the old man spat as the hanyou glared and bore his fangs at the old geezer.
 
“Inuyasha! Stop it with the attitude! He's wanted to ask you about your past and where you all came from! The least you can do is humor him! He may know a bit about you, but you're still a mystery to him!” Kagome yelled at the hanyou as he looked at her, annoyance flaring in his eyes.
 
He closed his eyes and said, “Fine. What do ya want to know, old man?” Inuyasha turned and sat down where he sat before they entered the living room.
 
The old man stepped up to the end of the table and sat down silently. Then he turned his eyes to the others sitting across from Inuyasha. “What are your names?” He asked the other three.
 
The monk decided to answer as he first pointed to the woman next to him and said, “This here is Sango, and on her other side is Kohaku, her brother. I am Miroku, a humble servant of Buddha.” Miroku said as he placed his hand over his heart and bowed his head politely.
 
“A Monk! Wonderful! And what do you two do? I've never seen people dressed like you two.” The old man looked to Sango and Kohaku.
 
“We are demon slayers from a distant village that once harbored villagers who slew demons to make a living. It was also the birthplace of the Shikon jewel. Of course, due to Naraku, our village was decimated by a hoard of demons when our best slayers were called out to a lord's castle to terminate a demon's wrath.” Sango said as Kohaku bowed his head, tears dripping from his eyes.
 
“Oh. I knew a slayer had traveled with the hanyou, and I knew of the monk, but what about the priestess?” Inuyasha's eyes grew wide, and his gaze shifted to Kagome's.
 
“Grandpa? There's something I found out about myself recently.” Kagome suddenly spoke from behind them.
 
“What's that, Kagome?” The old man asked.
 
“That priestess died, grandpa. She's the reason why these people ended up as figurines. She stopped time for one reason. She made a wish on the incomplete Shikon jewel she got from the demon Naraku in her last moments. She wished to have the chance to destroy him and complete the jewel after her reincarnation. Grandpa, there's a reason why they are here before you. I am that reason.” Kagome explained as she bowed her head.
 
“Kagome…” The old man looked at her with confusion in his face. He didn't know how to ask her to continue.
 
“I found out I could awaken them with my hands. Just a simple touch of my finger, and they'd come to life before me. Time froze for them during their battle with Naraku, grandpa. They did not die, but slept unknowingly for all this time! I awoke most of them, but the others, they're gone.” Kagome stated as she raised her gaze to his eyes, showing truth.
 
“What do you mean they're gone?” The old man grumbled.
 
“What she means is that our enemies, the ones who caused us all the problems were destroyed, old man. We owe her tons.” Inuyasha said to the old man.
 
“You did? Which ones were they?” The old man asked.
 
“The main nuisance was Naraku, the one dressed like a baboon. He was the one who started it all. He was the reason Kikyo, the priestess you spoke of, and I turned against each other. He wanted the jewel tainted and he wanted Kikyo. He slaughtered her with my form. Then he attacked me with her form, turning us against each other. When Kikyo died, she took the jewel with her in death. Then an evil witch resurrected her with sorcery and Kikyo's soul inhabited a clay body, the jewel came back with her soul. Then she heard rumors of a demon named Naraku who could take other's forms to create havoc. She released me from the spell she trapped me in for the fifty years since her death and told me we needed to defeat Naraku. That's when everything else happened.” Inuyasha opened his eyes as he looked on to Miroku. “I met Miroku first, then Shippo, and then Sango. Her brother was turned against us throughout most of the time due to being controlled by Naraku.” Kohaku's head bowed even further as he let out a sniffle and a tear hit the table.
 
“Inuyasha, please don't mention Kohaku's actions in front of him. He just gained his life back, but not only his life, his harsh memories as well, Inuyasha.” Miroku pointed out.
 
“I didn't mean anything by it. He wanted to know the story, so I'm just telling it like it happened. I'm not gonna say details or anything. Kagome, where's your brother?” Inuyasha demanded.
 
“Oh, sorry…I'll go get him.”
 
~*~
 
Kagome turned and walked out, sliding the door shut behind her. She walked up the stairs and turned towards his door, when she heard some laughing coming from Souta's room. She knocked on the door and called his name. When the door opened, Souta asked her what she needed. That was when she noticed what he was laughing about. The kitsune, Shippo, and the demon cat Kilala were with Souta the whole time, in his bedroom. “There you are, you two. I was beginning to wonder where you had run off to.”
 
“Yeah, these two just ran into the house about an hour ago. They were soo cool I just had to get to know them!” Souta exclaimed.
 
“Do you know how they got here?” Kagome asked sheepishly.
 
“Yeah, Shippo told me.” Souta turned to Shippo next to him.
 
“Kagome, where are the rest of the group? I ran when you were fusing the jewel together. I couldn't take the strong aura. I kept running until I saw the house, me and Kilala just decided to sneak inside. That was how Souta found us.” Shippo explained as Kilala meowed in agreement.
 
“Okay. Well I'm glad to know where you two have been. Souta, I have the rest of them downstairs. Would you like to meet them?” Kagome asked.
 
“Yeah! Is the dog-guy there too?” Souta asked.
 
“Yes, but remember, he's not used to meeting new people, so be careful, okay?” Kagome mentioned.
 
“I will, don't worry, sis.” Souta assured as they all climbed down the stairs and towards the shoji door to the living room.
 
~*~
 
The old man sighed and then asked, “What is it that Kagome meant by finding out something about herself, Inuyasha?”
 
“She's not who you think she is, old man. She's not just your little grand daughter, she's Kikyo's reincarnation.” Inuyasha stated clearly.
 
“What?! How is that possible?! Didn't you say yourself that she was resurrected by a witch?”
 
“Yes, I did and she was. Kikyo died once again trying to gain the jewel from Naraku, when she made the wish, time froze for us. Her reincarnation was part of the wish she made on the incomplete jewel. Kagome was meant to find us, old man.” Inuyasha clarified for the old man.
 
“She was?” He asked just as the door slid open once again and in stepped her brother, the kitsune and the demon cat along with her.
 
“Kilala, Shippo, there you are!” Sango said as the cat jumped in her lap and the kitsune leaped onto Miroku's shoulder.
 
“Everyone, this is Souta. Souta, these are my new friends. Do you recognize them?” Kagome asked as she turned to look at the expression on his face.
 
He was staring at Inuyasha. He could not take his eyes off the hanyou. Inuyasha started to growl. The sound startled the innocent youth and he retreated behind Kagome. “Sis, that man is growling at me! He's really scary!”
 
“Inuyasha? Please…stop being a jerk!” Kagome shouted. That stifled his growling at the youth effortlessly. “It's okay Souta, Inuyasha's just a bit on edge because of all the attention.” Kagome soothed.
 
“Okay.” The kid came out from behind his older sister, still warily looking at the hanyou.
 
“I'm not gonna hurt ya kid. I just don't like the staring.” Inuyasha clarified to the kid as Souta then relaxed and stepped up to his grandpa, eyes still on the hanyou. “What do you want?” Inuyasha asked in an irritated tone.
 
Souta reached past the old man as if he wasn't there and grabbed onto his ears. “They're real!” Inuyasha just sat there and grumbled under his breathe as the kid played with the cute appendages on the top of his head.
 
“Souta, that's not nice, and yes they are real. He's half human, half dog demon.” Kagome mentioned with a smile as she nudged her brother to stop playing with the poor hanyou.
 
“Cool! Will you be my brother, Inuyasha?” Souta said suddenly with a big smile.
 
“Huh?” Inuyasha reacted the only way he knew how. He had never been asked to be someone's brother before. After he thought about it for a second he said, “I guess, just leave my ears alone, okay?”
 
“Cool! Sister! He's gonna be my big brother!” Souta shouted as he jumped for joy. `Whoa…and I thought her mom was weird…' Inuyasha thought inwardly as he watched Kagome stop him from jumping and then directed him towards the other side of the table.
 
“Souta, this is Miroku, he's a monk who will be helping us around the shrine. This is Sango and her younger brother Kohaku. They are both demon slayers. I believe you and Kohaku are about the same age.” Kagome pointed out as Souta then greeted all three.
 
Souta then stepped behind Miroku over to Kohaku and asked him if he wanted to see his room. Kohaku seemed a bit happier to see another boy about his age. Kohaku didn't even think twice before following Souta up the stairs to his bedroom.
 
“Huh…I'm glad all the introductions are over with. That was unnerving.” Inuyasha grunted as Kagome took a seat next to him at the table. He looked her way, and caught her gaze. “Sorry about my reactions. I'm just not used to it.”
 
Kagome took his right hand in hers and said, “It's okay. I knew this wouldn't be easy for you.”
 
Inuyasha turned his eyes to their hands. His mind was such a jumble at that point. He was worried about how her family would react to his appearance and what he was. He knew nothing but blame, ridicule and loneliness. At that moment, as he stared at their entwined hands, he realized he wasn't alone anymore. He had been accepted by a family. He never knew what that would be like. He went from being on his own in the world to acceptance. He honestly didn't know how to thank Kagome, her brother, the old man, or her mother. He felt overwhelmed by the love he was feeling, and they had just met him.
 
“You all right Inuyasha?” Kagome asked, his eyes opened and turned to hers.
 
“We need to talk. There's a lot we both need to discuss.” He said as his eyes pierced hers intently.
 
Kagome nodded and they both excused themselves from the table. As they both headed out into the hall for the stairs, Kagome's mother poked her head out of the kitchen and asked, “Where are you going? Dinner will be ready in a few minutes!”
 
“Oh, we just need to talk about something. We won't be long, okay mom?” Kagome answered as her mother's eyes turned to their entwined hands.
 
“That's fine; I'll make sure there are left-overs. Send down your brother and the other young boy, okay?” Her mother asked with a smile.
 
“Okay, I'll send them right down.” Kagome answered as they walked up the stairs.
 
After Kagome sent the two boys down to eat, she and Inuyasha entered her room and she closed the door. Inuyasha sat down on the floor facing the bed. He had a pensive look on his face. He didn't look too happy in Kagome's opinion. She wondered how serious it was he needed to tell her as she sat down on her bed.
 
`Where do I begin? I don't know much about my past as a child. She has to know about my family. She has to know what I went through. Why I feel soo moved by her family's acceptance of me.' He thought to himself for a moment, and then opened his eyes to look into hers.
 
“What is it, Inuyasha?” Kagome asked with a concerned tone.
 
“I need to tell you something. I need to tell you about my past, and my family. There's a lot I don't remember, but I'll tell you what I can.”
 
“If it hurts, you don't need to.” Kagome stated.
 
“No. You have to know this. This will explain why I didn't expect what went on earlier. This will even explain why I have the relationship I have with my half brother.”
 
“Okay. I'm listening.” Kagome replied as she grabbed her pillow and cuddled it in her arms on her lap to get comfortable.
 
Inuyasha went on from the beginning, about how his father fell in love with a human, Izayoi. Then he went on in splotchy details about how he saved her, died and named him. He had mentioned he heard of those accounts from his retainer, Myouga and his mother as a child. He talked about how he had to fend for himself after his mother's death while he was still a child, and how he was shunned by the court that surrounded his mother before her death, leaving him to live in the wild by himself. He even talked about how he learned everything he knew about speaking and reading from his mother before her death, and then picked up a little here and there from humans and other demons while on his own.
 
“I did what I could to survive. I made it, but I'm not complete. Finding the Tetsussaiga and knowing that my brother still acknowledges me are the only connections to my father I have. I'm not sure of what to think of my father. Since I never got the chance to know him, this sword at my hip makes me feel funny that he would give it to me when he knew Sesshoumaru more than me. I don't understand his motives in what he's done. Why would he have fallen for a human and made me? What does this symbolize? He even named me, but all I know of him was he was a demon lord of the western domain, and he could turn into a demon dog, greater in size than even Sesshoumaru could. According to Sesshoumaru and Myouga, I hold no resemblance to him. Why would he have entrusted this great responsibility such as wielding this sword if he had no idea who I would become? Am I truly worthy to carry his legacy?”
 
Kagome didn't know what to say. She just figured he needed to let out some steam, or get depressed feelings off his chest. The look on his face was confusion and unrest. He was truly lost on what to think of even himself. She had no idea how messed up his life was, and she could tell how his past affected him.
 
He had finally stopped talking when Kagome finally came up with something to say to him. “Inuyasha, I think your father made the right choice. If Sesshoumaru had been entrusted with Tetsussaiga, he may have never met Rin and more than likely had not grown as an adult as he has. You said yourself he changed right before your eyes. From what I can tell, he's happy for the most part, as he is now. Inuyasha, you were entrusted with Tetsussaiga to protect humans, right? He knew who would gain his heart. So what if you look nothing like him. He loved you because he loved your mother. You more than likely look like her, and you obviously have her heart because you are very loving and kind, even though you don't show it often. You're used to showing your tough side for protection. You no longer need to live that way, Inuyasha. You are free from any dangers now. You are free to live and grow on your own, and with the others around you. Sometimes loss can lead to great gain, Inuyasha. I think that if you hadn't had that loss in your life, you would not have gained the respect for others you have today. I'm glad to have found you.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes never left the sword at his hip. He listened to every word she said. He didn't expect that response from her. He understood everything she meant and knew he could finally live the life he had hoped for in the end. But…something just didn't add up in his mind and he couldn't pinpoint it. It was evident his mind was a mess, with everything that had happened within those past few days. It all went so fast he wasn't able to make heads or tails of anything. Not even how he truly felt about Kagome. He knew he was grateful and he could have the life he always hoped for when he and Kikyo promised to live together, but how they fell soo easily left him confused.
 
“Inuyasha, I just want to know one thing.” Inuyasha's eyes shot up to hers at that moment in question. “What is it we feel for each other? Why do I feel this is right? I've only known you for two days total! This kind of thing doesn't happen to normal people. I wonder if it's true or if it's just a temporary euphoria.”
 
Inuyasha knew what she just asked him. She wanted to know if he felt the same, or if it was all just out of gratitude. Did he truly love her? Or was it just the fact that she had been deemed as Kikyo's reincarnation? He didn't know how to answer but he decided to try to calm her nerves. He could hear her heart beat quicker by the moment as she waited for his answer.
 
“Kagome, it's not an easy question for me to answer. Do you think I show you affection because you're my love's reincarnation? Is that what you want to know?” Kagome nodded. She couldn't get another word out. She had become all ears at that moment.
 
“Kagome, I don't know where these feelings came from, but I do not see you as her. She is completely different from you. You are you, you got that? I will never compare you to her. I would never do that to you.”
 
“Then why would you look at me like you have been? Like you remembered something between us? I feel that I'm her to you. You looked longingly into my eyes a number of times! I didn't know you well enough to understand why you looked at me that way!”
 
“I didn't mean it like that! I'm sorry if I confused you, but I've been falling for you this whole time! I'm just as confused about this as you are! I fell for Kikyo the same way as I'm falling for you!” Inuyasha shouted.
 
Kagome was silenced. `He fell for Kikyo the same way? Does he even know what a relationship is? Does he truly know what love is?' “What was it you had with her then? If it's too personal, then you don't have to answer.”
 
Inuyasha calmed down at her tone, sat back comfortably and thought. “She and I, we were outcasts. We had unusual and hard lives, both of us. We were similar in many ways. Even though I attacked her many times to get the jewel from her, she never killed me, but she stopped me every time. I asked her why she would never finish me off, and she said I was a waste of arrows. She wanted to spare me, but I couldn't understand why. Then I watched her from afar, and I saw what kind of life she led. She was lonely. She couldn't fall for anyone. She said that if she would then she would become weak. Her life was full of responsibility, and she almost couldn't handle it on her own. So, I protected her. The more time I spent with her, the more I realized I was in love with her, and I felt that way for a long time. That was when she opened up to me. She said she felt the same for me. I stopped hunting for the jewel and just protected her and the people in her village. I finally felt I had a purpose in my life. That's when she said I could use the jewel to become human. I wondered about it. She said we could be together and live normal lives. I had wanted that all along. But one thing remained unanswered. Why did I have to change for her? I began to wonder if it truly would benefit the both of us, or just her. Being human is the last thing I truly want. I really have no idea what I want for myself. I began to wonder if it mattered. After her death and resurrection, she changed. She wasn't the same Kikyo I knew before her death. Yes I cared a lot for her, but the love I felt before was no longer the same.” Inuyasha became solemn and his face became saddened.
 
His sadness affected Kagome. She could tell his past was eating away at his heart. She knew she was confused about their situation, but it sounded as if he had lived with his confusion with Kikyo since before she died. “That's a long time to not have answers to questions such as those, and now you'll probably never know. I'm sorry to hear that. I can tell you haven't told anyone about this.”
 
“No. I considered it as no one's business. That and I was too busy to really be confused in the past. It's only my life, my confusions, why should it include anyone else?” Inuyasha shrugged.
 
“Well, it does now. What should we do? Is this even gonna go anywhere? Do you want us to become closer Inuyasha? Do you want to love me? Or befriend me?” Kagome asked bluntly.
 
“One thing I've realized from my past is that you can't chose who you love. It just seems to happen. There's no way to tell what will come of it either. I didn't expect to fall for the one person who could probably kill me effortlessly. It was what my heart wanted. My heart is confused, but for some reason I'm feeling the same way about you. I'm not sure if what I feel is love or not, but I will live by my promise to you. I promise to live for you, with you. I want to be a part of your life somehow, is there anything wrong with that? You are the only person I feel like I want to be with!” Inuyasha fisted his hands at that outburst. He looked as if she was gonna take away the only thing he held dear.
 
“Nothing, Inuyasha. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be with me. I guess it's just that I'm worried we may not truly be in love, but just like you and Kikyo, we just need each other. Let's see where this leads, but let's just live for now, okay? Please don't tell me you love me just yet. I'm not ready to hear that. But I will be here for you if you need comfort or company. You have a home now. Just focus on adjusting to your new life, okay? I know we cannot choose who we fall for, but I want to be sure if we truly feel that way about each other. I also want to give you time and space to grieve for Kikyo.” Kagome stated without emotion as she closed her eyes, and chose not to see his reaction.
 
Inuyasha looked at her as if she had bugs crawling out of her ears. She had thrown him a curve ball and just suddenly clammed up on him. All because he couldn't say the words he really wanted to say. “Grieve? For Kikyo? I'm okay. I know I have to move on. It was you who asked me to do that wasn't it? I have, honestly. You don't have to worry about me. I've paid my respects.”
 
“I don't think so. If you're still wondering if what you feel for me is love or not, then you still have some soul searching to do.” Kagome said with her eyes still closed.
 
“Humph…You said that to me a couple of days ago. You're starting to sound like a broken record. I think it's you who is confused, not me.”
 
“So I'm confused! Okay! There! I admit it! I've never been in love, okay? Please cut me some slack!” Kagome spouted, her eyes flared with anger.
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes, stood up and walked towards the door. “Where are you…?”
 
“I'm gonna eat with your family now. You need to get your head straightened out. It doesn't matter what relationship we have. Get that through your thick skull! I never really said we HAD anything serious to begin with!” He shouted over his shoulder as he slammed the door shut and padded down the steps grumbling under his breathe.
 
Kagome thought about what he said. She recalled what was said through those few confusing days. He was right. He had been confused, but he at least knew his heart and what it was like to be in love. She needed to spend some time alone, away from him and think things through. Things would be confusing from now on, now that they had these new people in their house. One thing Kagome definitely knew, her life would never be the same. As far as she was concerned, it had changed for the better.
 
Kagome decided that as everyone sat around the table in the kitchen and ate to their hearts content as they told stories, and they formed new friendships, she would turn off her light and crawl under the covers. She needed to dream more than any thing, since her appetite left at his last words, `I never really said we HAD anything serious to begin with!'
 
 
 
 
Whoa…Even I'm confused by Inuyasha…Oh boy…I'm not sure if that even cleared any of the confusion up…:-/ Well, this is obviously part of this story, showing where Inuyasha's heart lies as far as Kikyo and Kagome. He's just looking for companionship at this point, and Kagome's never had a relationship before and he's making it difficult for her to understand…Sounds like Inuyasha, huh?...Well, I guess that's the best I can come up with…Tell me what you think…if you're confused, then maybe I took it too far? Hmmm…:-/